HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Timmins?

No way. Timmins needs to be on the train out of Montreal along with Gauthier, Gainey, Patrick Boivin, Carriere and anyone else associated with the Pierre Boivin disaster era.

Yeah, Timmins hit a couple of good players but look at all of the busts that he has drafted. Surely after 11 years, he would have drafted more than a couple of superstars.
Carriere was part of the Boivin era? Boivin era was a disaster era? You must have been born the day after Houle and Corey got canned. At worst, Boivin era may have been mediocre but to say disaster is so drama queenish.

Quote:
Most overrated in the NHL. I am tired of all of the Chipchuras, Similas, Trunevs, Torps, Fischers, Maxwells, Valentenkos, Cepaks, Mikus', Paquets etc and so on that he has picked.

Carey Price, PK Subban and Max Pacioretty. Those are his only standouts playing for Montreal.

Timmins needs to go.
Nothing like cherry picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
He also has plenty of stands out playing for other team (Streit, S.Kos., Grabo, McDonagh, Halak...) and that's not his fault they aren't with the team anymore.

You do realize that only about 19% of all the drafted players make a career for themselves in the NHL? (494 out of 2600 from 1990 to 1999) That most of them, by definition, do not stand out? Timmins result are pretty good, especially considering we didn't have high picks. Which of course, we are remedying this year...
Why compare to other teams when it's so easy to complain about everything on your own team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
depends entirely on your notion of "superstar"...

but i think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Match that list up to any teams in the league, and I pretty sure you'll quickly appreciate just how good he is.

only 2 top-10 pick in his tenure (and next to impossible to argue with the player he ended up with from his highest pick), and yet he's got:

2 quality starting goaltenders
3 top pairing Dmen
3 top-6 dmen
5 top-6 forwards
4 established 3rd/4th line forwards

17 NHLers (and another 8-10 prospects from recent drafts that appear very likely to end up as NHLers).

Very few, if any, teams in the league could match that kind of success.

complaining about the lack of "superstars", when superstars predominantly emerge from top-10 picks (which he's had only 2, 1 of which yielded a "superstar"), is pretty silly.

If you are so sure Timmins is overrated running the draft, please do provide some evidence from other teams that indicate a much better track record at drafting NHL talent...
That would require too much analysis on his part. Not many Amateur Scouting Directors can match their record up against Timmins. He has drafted a pile of NHL'ers and our current prospect pool is looking very solid despite Timmins not having many early picks (i.e. 2nd rounders) in recent years. I'm looking forward to what he can do this year with 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
He also has plenty of stands out playing for other team (Streit, S.Kos., Grabo, McDonagh, Halak...) and that's not his fault they aren't with the team anymore.

You do realize that only about 19% of all the drafted players make a career for themselves in the NHL? (494 out of 2600 from 1990 to 1999) That most of them, by definition, do not stand out? Timmins result are pretty good, especially considering we didn't have high picks. Which of course, we are remedying this year...
Maybe he wants Timmins to go to a team that'll actually develop and keep the players he drafts. Perhaps even give him 2nd and 3rd rounders to draft with from time to time. I wonder how many teams out there have bad drafting if all you have to do is see if they drafted a superstar or not outside the top 5 that's not a goalie. He had a bad 2006 true, but having a bad draft year is normal. If he drafted a Giroux and Lucic his draft record would become arguably the best in the NHL from 2003-2011. I fully expect for Andrei Kostitsyn to follow suit of many other Habs and do better on another team as well.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-26-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old
02-26-2012, 09:45 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Timmins?

No way. Timmins needs to be on the train out of Montreal along with Gauthier, Gainey, Patrick Boivin, Carriere and anyone else associated with the Pierre Boivin disaster era.

Yeah, Timmins hit a couple of good players but look at all of the busts that he has drafted. Surely after 11 years, he would have drafted more than a couple of superstars.
Pierre Boivin ? What the hell is this ? Boivin had no intake whatsoever on the product on ice. He was only part of the business side of all operations and far from a disaster it was supreme success.

The Disaster was Gainey, it was and still is the Gainey era. He was the big boy calling all the shots while Gillett had more important business in the UK...

Boivin ... he was just a pawn, that's why he's gone and Gainey is still a very important part of this organization.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
All solid players. Timmins is the least of our problems. One of the best in the bizz.
Subban, still early in his career. Pacioretty is on the right track. Price, definitely and the same can be said for Halak. The rest that you highlighted are good enough for the NHL but are not standout players.

I know that we can stack up players that Timmins passed on to make his draft picks in each of the rounds and compare them. Its an exercise in futility since you can do that with each team. However, how many of the Timmins selections are used when other teams compare draft picks and the "should have" argument comes up. I think that its safe to say that there are only a couple of Timmins' picks in that list.

Either Timmins is unlucky or his "best player available" strategy is not that great.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Carriere was part of the Boivin era? Boivin era was a disaster era? You must have been born the day after Houle and Corey got canned. At worst, Boivin era may have been mediocre but to say disaster is so drama queenish.

Carriere was hired by Gauthier who was hired by Boivin. He is of the Boivin mistake. Houle was disastrous. That does not lessen the futility of the Boivin tenure. Corey was effective at the beginning of his Presidency but then went to crap after the Patrick Roy debacle.

Why compare to other teams when it's so easy to complain about everything on your own team?

I am a Canadiens fan and the Canadiens have not even been to a Stanley Cup final in 19 years now. ENTITLED to have a sniff every once in a while, eh? You happy with 19 years without a Cup?

That would require too much analysis on his part. Not many Amateur Scouting Directors can match their record up against Timmins. He has drafted a pile of NHL'ers and our current prospect pool is looking very solid despite Timmins not having many early picks (i.e. 2nd rounders) in recent years. I'm looking forward to what he can do this year with 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.
Those pile of NHLers over the last decade has done what for this franchise?

Closed Thread