HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boclair: Confirmed--Preds in the Nash sweeps

Old
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
pekkaslap

vCash: 500
What really sucks is this supposed "list" Nash has of only these few teams he's willing to go to, all the big markets pretty much, regardless of how poorly run they are. Sigh, life of a small market I guess...

I'm hoping for the best here I hope we get him, but I also hope the ******** isn't so much that we forget how well the team is playing lately. I hope Poile has a fallback option if Nash falls through as well.

(By the way, am I the only one who types out Nashville instead of just Nash every time I spell his name? I always have to go back and correct a couple, lol)

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

It's a lot to give up if the rumored package is true, but for some reason I'd love to see Nash go to the Preds. Nashville isn't a hockey town but it seems to get lots of support. You've never really gotten that legit allstar forward, and it would probably help you keep your homegrown back end pillars because a Nash trade would show a clear desire to win by management.

Not to mention, it helps Columbus get a fresh start with some really high end prospects (assuming Howson gets ****canned and doesn't continue to destroy that franchise).

Count me as one guy who wants this trade to go down. Just a good old fashioned hockey trade.

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Reddaye

Leaf fan here (God help me :'(....) who is almost as giddy as you folks about Nashville possibly getting Nash. Real big fan of your organisation who thinks Nash is just the kind of player the team needs to be a juggernaut in the league.

What does his 7.8 cap hit do to your cap space? Assuming Weber and Suter resigned for around the 7 million mark? I know ownership has committed to being a cap team, but thats a lot of money (including Rinne).

Is it wrong that I'll literally jump for joy if he ends up with the Preds? LOL

Reddaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I'm not a rule buff, but I seriously, seriously, doubt a GM could talk directly to a player under contract with another team. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if a GM weren't even allowed to talk to a player's agent if he's currently under contract with another team and it has to be strictly GM to GM. Again, I don't know I'm just thinking out loud.
I'd be equally as shocked if you were right on either account. What's the benefit in restricting communication if both GMs and the player are comfortable with it? And the agent is just a representative of the player. I can't imagine either the owners or the players would agree to terms in the CBA that allowed the GM to ONLY speak to the agents in any circumstance. The 'no tampering rule' has value to the owners, but I cannot see a 'no contact' rule benefiting anyone, just bogging down the process.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I'd be equally as shocked if you were right on either account. What's the benefit in restricting communication if both GMs and the player are comfortable with it? And the agent is just a representative of the player. I can't imagine either the owners or the players would agree to terms in the CBA that allowed the GM to ONLY speak to the agents in any circumstance. It doesn't appear to benefit anyone and bog down the entire process.
I suppose you may be right. Like I said I don't know the rules and I'm not about to sit here and read the entire CBA, ha.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I suppose you may be right. Like I said I don't know the rules and I'm not about to sit here and read the entire CBA, ha.
the CBA is a pdf document and easily searched. (Check page 249)

Quote:
The Player agrees he will not tamper with or enter into negotiations with any Player under SPC or reservation to any Club of the League for or regarding such Player's current or future services, without the written consent of the Club with which such Player is connected under penalty of a fine to be imposed by the Commissioner of the League.
That said, there are a lot of "rules" within the NHL constitution and by-laws, not the CBA.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 02-26-2012 at 10:35 AM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Jarnberg

I'd hate to give up Wilson as I think he has top 6 potential and I'm not sure if Nash is the best player to give up such a huge package for but I've been complaining about a gamebreaker up front and if this is our chance then this is our chance.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
First and foremost, this should diapel the "poile is timid/stupid/lackadaisical" bull once and for all. As I have always said, poile makes the moves that befit the status of the team at the time. This is the first time since 06-07 that we have had a cup contender. And now he is making the kind of move that a cup contender makes.

Second, I hope we aren't just being used to get a better offer out of another team.

Lastly, I hope howson has the balls to tell nash that he can either waive to go to the team with the best offer or he can rot in cbus on another crappy team.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddaye View Post
Leaf fan here (God help me :'(....) who is almost as giddy as you folks about Nashville possibly getting Nash. Real big fan of your organisation who thinks Nash is just the kind of player the team needs to be a juggernaut in the league.

What does his 7.8 cap hit do to your cap space? Assuming Weber and Suter resigned for around the 7 million mark? I know ownership has committed to being a cap team, but thats a lot of money (including Rinne).

Is it wrong that I'll literally jump for joy if he ends up with the Preds? LOL
Well, thanks for the kind words haha. In that case, feel free to post here whenever you like.

As far as the cap hits, that's not my expertise but I think we can make it work with the new-found commitment to spending money. Who knows what Weber's salary will be next season and (if he's here) beyond that, but I don't think it'll bog us down too much.

If we DO get Nash, and Suter's shady self does decide to stay (which is far from guaranteed, even with a good acquisition here) it'll be interesting to see how his new contract goes down. I think he'll get around 7 mil a year, which is what Rinne will be making, and I would expect Weber to command slightly more.

Really if Nash is here we're looking at roughly 30/mil a year between four key players. For Nashville that's certainly uncharted territory but if the ownership truly is willing to start spending then it's doable, and I'm sure Poile knows plenty of info on that front and would never explore this option if it wasn't.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
maplepred

Just a thought,

What if Nash has already said sure I'll go to Nashville and play with my Olympics puck smashing pal shea weber.
But now Poile has said to suts and webs that if he pulls trigger and gets Nash, he wants a contract signed right away by one or both of them so it guarantees at least one of the two plus rinne and Nash for years to come?? Possible???

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Just a thought,

What if Nash has already said sure I'll go to Nashville and play with my Olympics puck smashing pal shea weber.
But now Poile has said to suts and webs that if he pulls trigger and gets Nash, he wants a contract signed right away by one or both of them so it guarantees at least one of the two plus rinne and Nash for years to come?? Possible???
Possible but highly unlikely. I don't think Poile would pressure Suter or Weber into signing here during the season, right away, while we're in a big playoff race.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Poile has stepped his game since the off-season where he was unexpectedly quiet. I think it is obvious this team has the "it" factor. I also think Paul Fenton is a huge part of this organization. If Poile is ever to retire, I want Fenton to have the job. Ray Shero was another Poile disciple that is extremely good. I think Fenton may be even better.

02-26-2012, 11:25 AM
cleangene

On a variation of the earlier mentioned "rules possibility", can players themselves make calls to other players to "hint around" about coming to their teams during the season? I know it happens all the time when games aren't being played, but if this were the case, I wonder if Poile has made such a request from our Captain? Speaking of which, does everyone think #6 and #20 are on fairly good terms with Nash; he would fit in chemistry-wise with this VERY close bunch??

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:28 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Poile has stepped his game since the off-season where he was unexpectedly quiet. I think it is obvious this team has the "it" factor. I also think Paul Fenton is a huge part of this organization. If Poile is ever to retire, I want Fenton to have the job. Ray Shero was another Poile disciple that is extremely good. I think Fenton may be even better.
A lot of the off season passivity goes back to domino one for us not falling until August. We've got a good team (top ten in goals per game, t-10th in 5on5 f/a, 1st PP%, 14th PK%, 9th ga/g) .... we're in a similar position to 2007 and looking to make a big move again ... interesting times.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
To us maybe, but to a big player who could turn us down in favor of a historic, big-market team? Who knows>

Old
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Just a thought,

I would say this attempt was approved by Suter and Weber. It is to big of a risk/pickup if he was not. I think Poile going after a big fish like this who is going to be a long term commitment he has some underwriting things going on with Suter and Weber.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
VFL615*

Columbus is about to play is Nash on the ice??

Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I believe so

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
This one is going down to the wire. EEP! Either tmrw, or the draft.

Apparently Howson isn't doing the Nash negotiations, and instead the President is weighing in. According to my local radio station Fan590.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Left for the game about 5 PM. Didn't have internet access from then until just now. Dear God, I picked the wrong 17 hours to not be able to check HF.......

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:56 AM
VFL615*

Hum... If a deal was close i am not sure i would have my asset on the ice. On the same token Wilson played last night soo...

Old
02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I hate this for Wilson and Ellis. As much as I appreciate the trade rumor business from a fan's perspective, it has to absolutely SUCK to be Wilson right now and know your team has offered you off in a trade. Can't be fun.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
predwings

Quote:
Hum... If a deal was close i am not sure i would have my asset on the ice. On the same token Wilson played last night soo...
He's hoping that the bigger Market teams will up the offer so he can move him without hesitation.

Even if this move doesn't work, it's rather brilliant by Poile. He forces CBJ to eat Nash for another year or forces another team to go over-the-top with their offer to take Nash. OR, he has to go to Nashville. It's all win-win right now for us and even if we don't get Nash I know Poile is going to have something waiting in the shadows

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
klt2001

I wouldn't get my hopes up that the Preds will get Nash. Nash didn't even pick Nashville as one of the teams he would want to be traded to. Not saying it couldn't happen still, just that I would be cautious about getting your hopes up. Now him not mentioning Nashville could also be a strategic attempt to keep Nashville off the radar or on the down low too. So who knows. But I'm thinking its the former rather than later. But I would be happy if he did come to Nashville.

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
He's hoping that the bigger Market teams will up the offer so he can move him without hesitation.

Even if this move doesn't work, it's rather brilliant by Poile. He forces CBJ to eat Nash for another year or forces another team to go over-the-top with their offer to take Nash. OR, he has to go to Nashville. It's all win-win right now for us and even if we don't get Nash I know Poile is going to have something waiting in the shadows
Not to mention Poile can look Suter straight in the eye and say "I offered this package for the scorer we desperately need. It's no my fault Howson wouldn't take it." And if we do get Nash, and Suter still leaves, Poile can say, honestly "Suter never wanted to be here. We got the player he wanted, and he still left."