HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tony Marinaro: Molson calling the shots, Gauthier just a figurehead (Molson Denies)

Old
02-26-2012, 08:29 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Geez...as if this organization needed journalists to look bad....Come on guys. Do anybody here knows what it is to be a journalist?
they certainly don't.

i guess you could say that i don't know what it is like to be a journalist, but i do know what it's like to be a biased *********

Quote:
While we were all ecstatic on the Bourque deal, he had his reservations.....which we now ALL have etc.
no, that's not true. he has been raging on the deal since day one, and most posters here were happy to see dramalleri gone and knew what they were getting in borker, well, most posters... tony, almost everyday: "see, see, it told you, i told you". how's is cammy doing in calgary again? not to mention cap relief but whatever, pg traded his buddy away, so he mad

and while he has been right about a few things, he has also been wrong about many things - which of course he never talks about and blocks people on the phone or on twitter from mentioning.

blow hard would be a better description of fat tony.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 02-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
they certainly don't.

i guess you could say that i don't know what it is like to be a journalist, but i do know what it's like to be a biased *********

no, that's not true. he has been raging on the deal since day one, and most posters here were happy to see dramalleri gone and knew what they were getting in borker. almost everyday "see, see, it told you, i told you". how's is cammy doing again?

and while he has been right about a few things, he has also been wrong about many things - which of course he never talks about and blocks people on the phone or on twitter from mentioning.

Marinaro is not a "journalist", he is a radio talk show host, a radio personality, which is a completely different animal.

His job is not to offer factually accurate reports, his job is generate listeners, which in turns means advertising .. etc..

Take everything he says with a grain of salt, a big one, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be called a "blow hard" or "fat tony".

He has been wrong sometimes, right some other times, which means he DOES have sources inside the organization. If you look at where he has been right and where he has been wrong, you can easily deduce where his sources come from. I am willing to bet he is right on this one and that Gauthier is being very tighly monitored by Molson's closest advisors.

Lastly, the maturity on these boards has seriously decreased in the last few months, it seems like we are back to high school. You can't say anything anymore here without getting blasted, ridiculed, chastised or insulted. Very pathetic to be honest. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even Marinaro, don't like him, just don't listen to him, no need to insult people.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Marinaro is not a "journalist", he is a radio talk show host, a radio personality, which is a completely different animal.

His job is not to offer factually accurate reports, his job is generate listeners, which in turns means advertising .. etc..

Take everything he says with a grain of salt, a big one, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be called a "blow hard" or "fat tony".

He has been wrong sometimes, right some other times, which means he DOES have sources inside the organization. If you look at where he has been right and where he has been wrong, you can easily deduce where his sources come from. I am willing to bet he is right on this one and that Gauthier is being very tighly monitored by Molson's closest advisors.

Lastly, the maturity on these boards has seriously decreased in the last few months, it seems like we are back to high school. You can't say anything anymore here without getting blasted, ridiculed, chastised or insulted. Very pathetic to be honest. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even Marinaro, don't like him, just don't listen to him, no need to insult people.
BRILLIANTLY SAID!

I couldnt agree more, I think Tony has great insight and I agree with a lot of what he says.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Why is Tony being called a journalist? C'mon people!

PS: I enjoy his show.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

fair enough, whitesnake said journalist and i went along with it

Quote:

by being a talkshow host, he opens himself up to criticism and i see no problem with people, like myself, who rage on him hard. me, it's because i have a low tolerance for blowhards, which is the perfect description of tony...

and i do tend to raaaaaage easily so... yeah...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Aurel Joliat

People like to make fun of Tony. But that's a huge news. It's the confirmation that Gauthier is gone at the end of the year. And it's just normal that Molson denies.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
onice

Quote:
Marinaro is amongst the best and most knowledgeable journalist out there.
Whitesnake, I'm on Tony's side with this "scoop" but I think you're exaggerating a little - just a little - when you label him among the best & most knowledgeable journalist.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
People like to make fun of Tony. But that's a huge news. It's the confirmation that Gauthier is gone at the end of the year. And it's just normal that Molson denies.
Its huge news if he didn't pull it out of his ass..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
JackieChan

French media :

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its huge news if he didn't pull it out of his ass..
Even if he did pull it out of his ass, one has to think that the odds are drastically in his favour of this falling into place and Gauthier getting replaced in the off-season.

The Gainey/Gauthier era has been very mediocre for the most part, the main bright spots in the era have come from the drafting decisions of Trevor Timmons and his staff, and even then we've had some real questionable drafting decisions as well in some years (2006, what a flop).

One has to believe that the ownership group is going to look to a new core of management to try and right this ship that has steered so drastically off course this season.

I will say this though, Gauthier has been better than Gainey in his trades since becoming GM. Kaberle for Spacek being the worst trade, but even at that atleast he brought in a superior player who if we can shelter with a strong defensive partner (Gorges, say) next season he might bounce back, and he didn't give up a prospect in doing so. He was however the Head Pro Scout for the team whenever they decided to trade for Gomez, and sign Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill and Spacek to deals. That tells me his ability to evaluate players is mediocre at best.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I will say this though, Gauthier has been better than Gainey in his trades since becoming GM. Kaberle for Spacek being the worst trade, but even at that atleast he brought in a superior player who if we can shelter with a strong defensive partner (Gorges, say) next season he might bounce back, and he didn't give up a prospect in doing so. He was however the Head Pro Scout for the team whenever they decided to trade for Gomez, and sign Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill and Spacek to deals. That tells me his ability to evaluate players is mediocre at best.
SK for nothing?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Milhouse40

I just can't believe all the hate.......

Marinaro has been right a lot of times in the past with his scoop.
Still got no respect from some of you guys

But in the end, right or wrong, Tony shares some info with all of us. Informations that none of us can get.

Is it true? Mayby not

But keep bashing Marinaro and when he'll have some inside info in the future, mayby he'll keep it to himself (doubt it but....)

Allm of us wants to know what's going on, who's going, who's coming and what's happening with the habs....but when someone come out with info, some just bash him.

Do us all a favor and stop listening to radio, ssports show, tv and newspapers.....and keep thinking you get all the knowledge you need just sitting there in your living room one hand in your underwear and the other one on your remote control!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
they certainly don't.

no, that's not true. he has been raging on the deal since day one, and most posters here were happy to see dramalleri gone and knew what they were getting in borker, well, most posters... tony, almost everyday: "see, see, it told you, i told you". how's is cammy doing in calgary again? not to mention cap relief but whatever, pg traded his buddy away, so he mad

I agree with you on the Bourque trade. We saved some cap money, and its not like Cammi is scoring in endless amounts. He is on about the same pace as he was here. Bourque and he are neck and neck at this point. Last night for Cammi 17:27 of ice time...-1 and 1 shot on goal. He may be playing even worse over there than he was here.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Bill McNeal

Gotta love Twitter. Brian Wilde hypes up Marinaro's scoop and when it turns out to be a dud, he just deletes the tweets.

Doesn't reflect very well on him.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
For a negative person like you....I guess this season is a complete disaster....but for someone like me, I choose to see the positives.
Sorry if I choose not to be positive while the team is in LAST place..lol

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
shutehinside

There's no "scoop" here.

Only a hand full of GMs out there don't have to get the OK from the owner/president before big deals. No news here.

PG is on his way out after this season. Again, no news here.

Combine that PG won't be allowed to blow up the team without Molson getting involved and before he's shown the door isn't exactly a news flash.

Also, that Molson is involved in the team during the deadline again isn't surprising or news worthy. Any self respecting hockey owner would be involved at some level. But the implication that Molson himself is calling the shots is propostrous. There's a tonne of hockey minds in the org that can and do have a say in what goes on such as Timmins, Carrier, Gainey, JM, etc.

Overall, this is such a non story it's ridiculous. Why does everyone make such a big deal out of these ridiculous little "stories" by guys trying to make a name for themselves.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
This organization needs a leader SOOO badly. No vision or direction, just improvisation.
A leader needs to have a firm grip on the reins, and the wisdom and freedom to take a long-term view and steer the club in the right direction.

A special challenge in Montreal is the great number of media/fans acting as back-seat drivers. We trusted BG and his five-year plan but since the Centennial blow-up we have not had a clear vision guiding the team's development, just a handful of clowns looking for quick fixes.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
AntonCH

Marinaro is questionable at best.
As some have said, he's a personality not a journalist.
When you lack substance you have to make up for it with other means / gimmicks.
Think back when Koivu shared the locker room with Ribeiro, what was Marinaro saying and who was he siding with?
The thing with anybody in the media is that they get them wrong more often than they get them right, but guys like Tony "Jellybeans" Marinaro keep reminding us of the ones they got. In the same vein how many Mcguire Monsters have turned out to be less than?

I personally, tend to gravitate to personalities such as Bobby Mac from TSN - he confirms before he goes public - and his words tend to carry weight.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Gotta love Twitter. Brian Wilde hypes up Marinaro's scoop and when it turns out to be a dud, he just deletes the tweets.

Doesn't reflect very well on him.
I turn off internet radio when Wilde comes on. He loves his own voice. What a windbag.

His head is so far up Marinaro's exit hole that when Marinaro eats Wilde gains weight.

Having said that, I don't think it's a scoop - everyone knows that Gauthier's days of leading the team are effectively over, although it's nice to be reminded daily of that fact.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:25 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:

Sorry to blast you again, but.... TM gets accreditation from the habs, to be A JOURNALIST, not TV personality. This accreditation gives him far greater access to the habs in order to report FACTS about the team.

Jerry Springer is a tv personality and I suspect would not get accreditation to a sports team. He would be seen as what he is... a pariah feeding off the frenzy he can create with half truths and hyperbole.

Unfortunately there are far too many personalities impersonating journalists following the habs right now. While I agree with you "to a degree" that we can choose to ignore him and there is no need to insult him, you also have to realize that because he chooses to be a personality rather than a journalist with integrity it leaves him open to the same type of criticisms he levels at the team.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Habs Junkie

Is Tony the most hated media person around the habs? Or does the title still belong to Francois Gagnon? Who else is bad? Raymond, Todd, JC Lajoie?

I have a special request to the mods: Can we have a poll, or multiple polls, to see who is the most hated media personalities around the habs? We can rate them as we do the prospects. Start off with the worst and move our way up, maybe a top 10 list or something. Would be fun IMO. If OK with mods, start the thread, or tell me and I will.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Geez...as if this organization needed journalists to look bad....Come on guys. Do anybody here knows what it is to be a journalist?
Very few here. In radio, in order to succeed, YOU NEED TO HAVE AN OPINION. That's how it works, people. Fatman has an opinion, which is not the same as many here, but he's on radio for that: to have an opinion. And his schtick seems to work, by reading this thread.

By the way, Tony isn't what I would call a journalist. He's a radio personality.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:48 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
French media :
Touché.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Sorry to blast you again, but.... TM gets accreditation from the habs, to be A JOURNALIST, not TV personality. This accreditation gives him far greater access to the habs in order to report FACTS about the team.

Jerry Springer is a tv personality and I suspect would not get accreditation to a sports team. He would be seen as what he is... a pariah feeding off the frenzy he can create with half truths and hyperbole.

Unfortunately there are far too many personalities impersonating journalists following the habs right now. While I agree with you "to a degree" that we can choose to ignore him and there is no need to insult him, you also have to realize that because he chooses to be a personality rather than a journalist with integrity it leaves him open to the same type of criticisms he levels at the team.
He's not a journalist. He gets media accreditation because he works in a media as a radio personality. He's not the only one to get a media accreditation. He does partake in media scrums sometimes, but in the pure sense of journalism, he's not there.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Holy ****... Brian Wilde did in fact delete ALL of his tweets regarding Tony's scoop. That's extremely telling imo.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 02-26-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: auto correct fail
PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote