HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What vets would you like to lead the rebuild.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:52 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Also didn't want to be here a few years ago. Just what I want, another guy who doesn't want to be here apparently.
Refresh me on this issue.

Tampa gave him a ridiculous contract ($15 million in 1st two years if I remember right).

Did he balk at the Jackets over money or other Jeff Carter-y reasons?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Refresh me on this issue.

Tampa gave him a ridiculous contract ($15 million in 1st two years if I remember right).

Did he balk at the Jackets over money or other Jeff Carter-y reasons?
We were going to trade for his rights but he told us he didn't want the team to give up assets for him. He then went on to sign with Tampa because I think a family member worked for them in the scouting or something.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
We were going to trade for his rights but he told us he didn't want the team to give up assets for him. He then went on to sign with Tampa because I think a family member worked for them in the scouting or something.
I don't think that's bad thing.

1)He basically saved Columbus some assets. He could have said nothing. Come here, not talk contract with us and left once July 1st came along.

2)To me, it sounds like he was ready to test the UFA waters. If he had a family member in TB, looked like he had his mind made up to go their.

I wouldn't take that a shot against Columbus.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Doug19

It's not a shot, he simply didn't want to play for us, he wanted to play somewhere else.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Vermette / Carter traded so now Nash and RJ are safe? Did I miss something? I seriously doubt Nash will be here next season.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM
scrogs63

Quote:
His dad still works for TB

scrogs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Vermette / Carter traded so now Nash and RJ are safe? Did I miss something? I seriously doubt Nash will be here next season.
Not sure about either but if Nash is going to be moved it might be best to do it when teams have more flexibility and less deadline pressure.. I'm also thinking the sudden announcement by Howson that Nash could be traded may have been more of a psychology move than reality. If there was any doubt about Howson being serious in rebuilding the worst team in the NHL everyone on the roster now knows no one is safe from being moved regardless of their status (Howson has consistently said Rick Nash is not going to be traded until just recently), it's now a level playing field so to speak.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not sure about either but if Nash is going to be moved it might be best to do it when teams have more flexibility and less deadline pressure.. I'm also thinking the sudden announcement by Howson that Nash could be traded may have been more of a psychology move than reality. If there was any doubt about Howson being serious in rebuilding the worst team in the NHL everyone on the roster now knows no one is safe from being moved regardless of their status (Howson has consistently said Rick Nash is not going to be traded until just recently), it's now a level playing field so to speak.
Yep. I don't think the entire rebuild will be completed by the deadline. I'm with those who think the Nash thing is up in the air, and I've considered this take on it as well. If we're into interpreting what players are saying when they're not saying anything -- you could very well contend that Nash's relative quietness on the issue is not resignation to a fate but complicit-ness in a plan. Not that I don't believe he might be traded.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
exactly...GMSH needs to break up the cliq if we're ever going to move forward...something tells me though he doesn't have the stones to actually move Nash...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
GScott

It's not the popular opinion but if Nash is still here next season then the culture shift has failed. You are not going to change the team culture until you move the head of it. This team is in desperate need of new team leadership and that cannot happen with Nash here.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
It's not the popular opinion but if Nash is still here next season then the culture shift has failed. You are not going to change the team culture until you move the head of it. This team is in desperate need of new team leadership and that cannot happen with Nash here.
One way to find out, keep Nash.. If the Jackets only reshape instead of rebuild as Howson hinted at yesterday I'll be expecting a playoff run next season.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
One way to find out, keep Nash.. If the Jackets only reshape instead of rebuild as Howson hinted at yesterday I'll be expecting a playoff run next season.
For as long as I can remember the practice habits and work ethic of the CBJ has been questioned. I don't want Yakupov's first NHL experience to be shaped by Nash's work ethic. Giving Nash another year may seem reasonable but it very easily influence all the new players being brought in. Time to cut the ties and let both parties move forward.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Matt Foley
Meh

What do you guys think about possibly signing Aaron Asham this summer? I think we're going to need a guy like him to as incentive for other teams not to take liberties with our kids (Nail in particular, if we are fortunate to get him).

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
What do you guys think about possibly signing Aaron Asham this summer? I think we're going to need a guy like him to as incentive for other teams not to take liberties with our kids (Nail in particular, if we are fortunate to get him).
No worries. We have Dorsett and he eats lava and flaming poop while making lions, tiger, and bears afraid.

(Oooops, almost forgot the )

fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Dude is a great pest, would make for a fun third line of him, Letestu and Dorsett.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Stretch Factor

Once the dust is settled from the trade deadline and the draft, I'd like to see whoever is still part of the management team to take a long look at adding more guys like Prospal on short term deals. Their job is to come and provide leadership and work ethic. Show the young guys what it takes on and off the ice to be successful. I'd be looking for former captains and guys that command respect. Guys with their name on the Cup would be a nice bonus. I'm not that concerned with on-ice production, but their effect on ending the circle of suck. Older players from those good Avs, Devils, and Red Wings teams would be a good place to start.

Here's a couple older UFAs that would be pretty good (and possibly cheap) in my book.-
Martin Brodeur
Brian Rolston
Jamie Langenbrunner
Tomas Holmstrom
Petr Sykora
Brad Stuart
Milan Hejduk
Hal Gill
Sami Salo
Steve Staois
Ian Laperriere

I'm sure there are others, but this list would be a good place to start. Find out which guys want to spend their last year or two in the league mentoring young players and sign 2 or 3 of them.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Once the dust is settled from the trade deadline and the draft, I'd like to see whoever is still part of the management team to take a long look at adding more guys like Prospal on short term deals. Their job is to come and provide leadership and work ethic. Show the young guys what it takes on and off the ice to be successful. I'd be looking for former captains and guys that command respect. Guys with their name on the Cup would be a nice bonus. I'm not that concerned with on-ice production, but their effect on ending the circle of suck. Older players from those good Avs, Devils, and Red Wings teams would be a good place to start.

Here's a couple older UFAs that would be pretty good (and possibly cheap) in my book.-
Martin Brodeur
Brian Rolston
Jamie Langenbrunner
Tomas Holmstrom
Petr Sykora
Brad Stuart
Milan Hejduk
Hal Gill
Sami Salo
Steve Staois
Ian Laperriere

I'm sure there are others, but this list would be a good place to start. Find out which guys want to spend their last year or two in the league mentoring young players and sign 2 or 3 of them.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Ryan Suter

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Cyclones Rock

I think that a core of Prospal, Dorsett, Sanford and MacKenzie would be fine for instilling the attitudes and work ethics required to win. So I don't think that outside leadership is required. The addition by subtraction process has started. The shedding of Nash and Umberger would probably cut deep enough to effectively eliminate all of the old leadership-if you'd even want to call it that-on this team. If there are other veterans who may detract from the rebuild, then they must be eliminated from the mix by whatever means necessary.

The most important leader of the Jackets will be its next coach. Preferably a coach who is a good teacher and patient. I would think that an experienced NHL head coach or someone with very heavy NHL assistant experience would be the appropriate candidate.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post

Martin Brodeur
Brian Rolston
Jamie Langenbrunner
Tomas Holmstrom
Petr Sykora
Brad Stuart
Milan Hejduk
Hal Gill
Sami Salo
Steve Staois
Ian Laperriere

Hejduk would be interesting, particularly if Colorado goes with a full-blown youth movement. Of course, I don't know how often a team would decline to re-sign its longtime player and current captain.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Don't forget too that guys near the end of their careers who are rather accustomed to success don't always want to be around just for moral guidance on a team in total rebuild mode. For every player like Prospal, there's probably five others who aren't gluttons for such punishment

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Must've just been the past few games. What I've seen recently hasn't looked very good, but it hasn't been enough to tell if it's the defense falling apart or what...
The Caps look as if the players may be revolting yet again.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote