HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils - Canucks

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
You're a poor winner, if you don't see the two clubs being close take that opinion to the Vancouver board. We had no business winning that game and if the tables were reversed you'd be crying about lucky goals, hot goal tending and protecting a lead.
Classy dude

It seems our mods had some dicey pre-game moments with some off color comments about the riots and such, but I think by the end, both teams and fanbases can walk away from yesterday's game with respect for each other. We obviously caught you guys in a typical ambush/letdown game but you found a way to prevail on the back of a great goaltending performance. We would have liked this one but can take some comfort in the fact that, given the circumstances, we doubled up in shots and had legitmate opportunities to score the equalizer.

After all, it's not like you guys were spent and then spanked us in our own barn. Perhaps if we were truly equals, we find a way to win the game based upon our respective scheudles. As it is, we weren't *quite* up to the task, but the gap is not so far as some might think...

Thanks for the respectful words and welcome back any time...

Old
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
I like you but you need to have some faith in your team, I've been a fan of Vancouver for a pretty long time and I've seen some terrible times but I never ran around saying the sky is falling, I also wasn't silly enough to believe they'd win a cup but on any given night, any team can beat any other and I'd rather go into a game believing in my team and being let down than picking them apart just so I could say "I knew it" after.
Just because you believe doesn't mean you're stupid. Just means you're a fan.
There used to be the opinion around here that we would ALWAYS win because we were the NJD. We always win. So we will continue to always win because well, we're the NJD, right?

That notion has been tempered & chipped away with each disappointing playoff run, all but 1 in the first round in the post lockout era.

The aging of players, especially our goalie, player attrition, key free agent loses and poor drafting and/or low draft positioning (seemingly getting like the #23 pick of the draft every year) have finally caught up with us.

We have a great new core of younger players, but we're not sure what they can do in the postseason. Our best offensive players have not been able to do much damage in April and their supporting cast has been non existint.

We have a lot of flaws that more grounded NJD fans will acknowledge.

Of course anything can happen in the postseason, but I just don't see us having a fully balanced team to have a deep run. Other than a lights out PK, our PP has been perpetually in suck mode, our soon to be 40 year old goaltender seems to give up deflating goals at the worst possible times, our scoring can be extremely erratic and disappear at key moments, our defense can resemble a low-level AHL defense in front of the net, especially when trying to hold leads and our rookies are extremely untested in April. IMHO, this is a recipe for playoff disaster. If we at least hold on to make it the dance.

BTW, were you the one who liked dogs?

Old
02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
thebigbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post

Congrats. I don't care how exhausted your team was, you were outplayed by a Devils team that is missing a top 6 center and two top 4 d-men. Throw Zidlicky in their too, I guess. I'd love to face these guys again when both teams are healthy.
5 games in 7 days is alot for any teams..

Old
02-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

And it's MYLES & MUFFIN. Get it right.

And come to the gym, it's open 24 hours. I'll drop a 45lb weight plate on yer head.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
5 games in 7 days is alot for any teams..
We had a stretch like that right after the All-Star break too, it resulted in the team not showing up for a game against Florida.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Luongo has been pretty solid for a while now. He looks like a different goalie. Much more confident.

Old
02-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
There used to be the opinion around here that we would ALWAYS win because we were the NJD. We always win. So we will continue to always win because well, we're the NJD, right?

That notion has been tempered & chipped away with each disappointing playoff run, all but 1 in the first round in the post lockout era.

The aging of players, especially our goalie, player attrition, key free agent loses and poor drafting and/or low draft positioning (seemingly getting like the #23 pick of the draft every year) have finally caught up with us.

We have a great new core of younger players, but we're not sure what they can do in the postseason. Our best offensive players have not been able to do much damage in April and their supporting cast has been non existint.

Of course anything can happen in the postseason, but I just don't see us having a fully balanced team to have a deep run. Other than a lights out PK, our PP has been perpetually in suck mode, our soon to be 40 year old goaltender seems to give up deflating goals at the worst possible times, our scoring can be extremely erratic and disappear at key moments, our defense can resemble a low-level AHL defense in front of the net, especially when trying to hold leads and our rookies are extremely untested in April. IMHO, this is a recipe for playoff disaster. If we at least hold on to make it the dance.

BTW, were you the one who liked dogs?
The main problem with this team is our transition offense from the blueline. It was the glaring problem in the series against the Flyers in 2010, in that we were constantly hemmed in due to our lack of talent back there. I'm not sure if we fixed the problem entirely. I think Larsson can play a bigger role than we've seen and Zidlicky should help, but I'm personally skeptical. I'd be ecstatic if this team won a round and build for the future.

Old
02-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Wow, guess I'm not "grounded," eh?

Acknowledging that the team has flaws makes one grounded, to be sure.

Exaggerating said flaws does not.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
And it's MYLES & MUFFIN. Get it right.

And come to the gym, it's open 24 hours. I'll drop a 45lb weight plate on yer head.
anybody can fish like jim!

Old
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Which escalator did he fall down? Certainly not the one going from the lower bowl to the upper decks right cause thats an awfully long way down :x
Yep. The really big escalator. Not sure where he fell from and where he stopped, but I saw him laying at the bottom of the escalator within one minute of it happening, and the amount of blood all over the place would likely be traumatizing for some people.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Favorite quote from last night:

Devils about to go on PP
Nucks fan next to me: "What was the penalty?"
Me: "2 minutes for not winning the Stanley Cup last year."

Old
02-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post

Devils about to go on PP
Thank you, I just spit my tea all over the desk.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:21 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
oh snap

Old
02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:

Devils about to go on PP

Old
02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
apice3*

Quote:

Devils about to go on PP
Did you just quote yourself?

Pretty funny, but it breaks so many ethical man codes.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Did you just quote yourself?

Pretty funny, but it breaks so many ethical man codes.
I had forgotten saying it because I had a few, but I was watching videos I took of the game before and heard it. Either way, man codes do not apply to me.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Well I'm now 0-2 for live Devils games. But at least this one was real close! We should trade for Schneider.

Closed Thread