HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline Day

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
  #26
copper_blue
Registered User
 
copper_blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Is Bishop better than Bernier or Harding? Did Tambo fall asleep at the wheel on this one.

copper_blue is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
  #27
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
Ottawa has enough talent on their NHL roster and enough prospects to deal a future 2nd. I really like this deal. Bishop's AHL numbers are absolutely insane. Between him and Lehner, Ottawa's goaltending looks set for the near future.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
  #28
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper_blue View Post
Is Bishop better than Bernier or Harding? Did Tambo fall asleep at the wheel on this one.
Would you have flipped Anaheim's 2nd for Bishop? Basically it would be Cogliano for Bishop.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
  #29
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Making room to get Jones back in the lineup?

The writing has to be on the wall for Omark now.
Why? What would this have to do with Omark? Except, perhaps, an audition with Lander and Magnus, including a run to the Calder.

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  #30
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Would you have flipped Anaheim's 2nd for Bishop? Basically it would be Cogliano for Bishop.
I would have..I doubt our 2nd gets us anything big that will help in the next few years and I think Bishop might be a steal..For a draft pick, no doubt. I think Tambo was sleeping...again.

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
  #31
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Making room to get Jones back in the lineup?

The writing has to be on the wall for Omark now.
Most likely a paper transaction. He'll be "sent down" today, and "called up" tomorrow.

Interesting. If you consider Bishop the cream of the AHL crop, and 1-year of Bishop is worth a 2nd round pick... What's Bernier worth? 32nd OV + change?

Soli is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:48 AM
  #32
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Why? What would this have to do with Omark? Except, perhaps, an audition with Lander and Magnus, including a run to the Calder.
Nothing.

I was referring to Hemsky signing. When the other poster mentioned "30hrs" I was assuming he was talking about the trade deadline. I was responding to that.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:53 AM
  #33
oilers4life5
Registered User
 
oilers4life5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Champions
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
Dam it! Really wanted Bishop. I guess we are going with Harding unless he gets snapped up too. I would have traded the Ducks 2nd for Bishop.

oilers4life5 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  #34
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Nothing.

I was referring to Hemsky signing. When the other poster mentioned "30hrs" I was assuming he was talking about the trade deadline. I was responding to that.
Oops....

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:06 AM
  #35
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
I would take Bishop over Bernier any day. Bernier is overhyped at this point and probably not ready for prime for another 3 or 4 yrs. Bishop is more mature & ready next yr especially if he get some NHL action this yr.

Also 6'7 vs 6'0 makes a huge different for goalies. Look ar it this way, if they both struggle in a game, at least Bishop will get hit by the puck a few more times than Bernier.

Darn, we miss a shot at a potential star goalie. To be fair tho, STL would probably have asked us for more or not willing to move Bishop to us since we're in the same conference.

AK Dandyman is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM
  #36
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
I would take Bishop over Bernier any day. Bernier is overhyped at this point and probably not ready for prime for another 3 or 4 yrs. Bishop is more mature & ready next yr especially if he get some NHL action this yr.

Also 6'7 vs 6'0 makes a huge different for goalies. Look ar it this way, if they both struggle in a game, at least Bishop will get hit by the puck a few more times than Bernier.

Darn, we miss a shot at a potential star goalie. To be fair tho, STL would probably have asked us for more or not willing to move Bishop to us since we're in the same conference.
As Oilbleeder's lady friend would say, size isn't everything.

Dubnyk is the smallest 6'6 I've ever seen in net.

Soli is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:11 AM
  #37
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 1507
It's deals like the Bishop trade that make me question Tambo's ability to have a handle on what's happening in the business world of the NHL. It seems we've seen many times over the last couple of years you hear about transactions and think 'why couldn't the Oilers do this'? Outside the Pronger deal to the Oil that many years ago (and I still think he fell into the Oil laps rather than us finding him), I can't think of many 'smart' pick ups.
Anaheim's 2nd round pick will be better than Ottawa's so it's pretty clear they could have made the deal. Bishop has been talked about on here for a couple of weeks now so it's not like it's a surprise. So, I ask again, was Tambo sleeping?

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
  #38
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
It's deals like the Bishop trade that make me question Tambo's ability to have a handle on what's happening in the business world of the NHL. It seems we've seen many times over the last couple of years you hear about transactions and think 'why couldn't the Oilers do this'? Outside the Pronger deal to the Oil that many years ago (and I still think he fell into the Oil laps rather than us finding him), I can't think of many 'smart' pick ups.
Anaheim's 2nd round pick will be better than Ottawa's so it's pretty clear they could have made the deal. Bishop has been talked about on here for a couple of weeks now so it's not like it's a surprise. So, I ask again, was Tambo sleeping?
I keep trying to preach this. I was ripped apart in the "Bring a nice book with you on monday" thread because apparently the trade deadline isn't somewhere a team like Edmonton can improve their future.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
  #39
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,745
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
It's deals like the Bishop trade that make me question Tambo's ability to have a handle on what's happening in the business world of the NHL. It seems we've seen many times over the last couple of years you hear about transactions and think 'why couldn't the Oilers do this'? Outside the Pronger deal to the Oil that many years ago (and I still think he fell into the Oil laps rather than us finding him), I can't think of many 'smart' pick ups.
Anaheim's 2nd round pick will be better than Ottawa's so it's pretty clear they could have made the deal. Bishop has been talked about on here for a couple of weeks now so it's not like it's a surprise. So, I ask again, was Tambo sleeping?
I honestly believe that Tambo does not see a problem with the goaltending. I expect him to stand pat.
I just don't think that he is able to properly recognize the the teams limitations. He seems fine holding out hope that Dubnyk will find his game, improve his lateral movement and get mentally tough enough not to let in so many bad goals. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the unbalanced roster. He doesn't seem to think its an issue to play dmen above their level of ability. There is little evidence that Tambo has a feel for what it takes to improve the team if it doesn't involve the draft.

The fact that he missed the boat on acquiring a player like Bishop seems obvious enough but I think he wasn't even considering boarding.
He is not even in the game.

guymez is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
  #40
Speedshank
Registered User
 
Speedshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Apparently Plekanec is willing to waive his no trade clause. Looks like the Habs finally realize that they're out of the race.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/

Speedshank is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:26 AM
  #41
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
I thought we wanted to upgrade our NHL goaltending.

Seachd is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  #42
Bauer83
Registered User
 
Bauer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 516
vCash: 6065
Personally I am happy if we try to address the goaltending in the offseason instead of now. We need to ensure we end up with the best shot at getting Murray (IMO), and not going on a run that ends up with us drafting between 5-7.

What I will be interested in seeing is if Tambellini begins to address needs post-draft, and is actually willing to make moves mid-season next year. Part of me truly believes that this was a full blown tank job, and you just say the right things in the media to make it appear that you are not losing on purpose. My guess is, had we not hit the stretch we did in the middle, we would see the Oilers taking a different approach right now but now that we have a shot at a franchise d-man or forward, why screw it up.

Bauer83 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
  #43
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,402
vCash: 500
If WAS is interested in Gagner what do you think they would offer for him?

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
  #44
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I thought we wanted to upgrade our NHL goaltending.
This. Pretty sure dubnyk puts up the same ahl numbers

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
  #45
Matador
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
I'm surprised to see so many upset that we didn't acquire Bishop. He didn't beat out Elliot, a guy who was mediocre last season, for the backup job. Also consider the fact that the he probably wanted a 1-way contract as he was set to hit UFA due lack of games played. Bishop is an unproven commodity in the NHL, whereas at least we know to some degree what we are getting with our goaltenders.

With the re-signing of Hemsky, it would appear that management is looking to head into next season with a little more roster certainty. Adding Bishop is a step backwards as there are more proven NHL goaltenders that might be capable of stepping up into a starter role. Bernier, Harding and Schneider make much more sense from the Oilers point of view than Bishop.

Matador is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:40 AM
  #46
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
Part of me truly believes that this was a full blown tank job, and you just say the right things in the media to make it appear that you are not losing on purpose.
So then why sign Hemsky to a 2 year extension instead of trading him away for picks/prospects?

Seems to me that the 'tank job' would have had a better chance of success without Hemsky rather than with him.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  #47
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This. Pretty sure dubnyk puts up the same ahl numbers
I know I couldn't understand why everyone thought Bishop would solve our goaltending problems. He is an unknown commodity and AHL goaltender. Sure he might translate to the NHL but that is the last kind of goaltender this club needs. We need one who is an NHL goaltender.

stoff is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
  #48
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,757
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If WAS is interested in Gagner what do you think they would offer for him?
Nothing we want

The Nuge is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
  #49
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
As Oilbleeder's lady friend would say, size isn't everything.

Dubnyk is the smallest 6'6 I've ever seen in net.
Doesn't help Dubnyk's game is all about feeling the puck [ie. let puck hit him] rather than follow the puck [ie. Kiprusoff]. The former also tends to be the style larger goalies, whether due to equipment or actual physical stature, follow.

frag2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
  #50
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,212
vCash: 500
Not that big on Bishop, don't really care that the Oilers "missed out" on him.

Arpeggio is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.