HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What's your take? (Brown)

Old
02-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

vCash: 500
What's your take? (Brown)

So I got a buddy who feels that the trade rumors had nothing to do with Brown's performance tonight. I disagree....what's your opinion?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I disagree with your disagreeance

Do you REALLY think a guy can just turn it ON or OFF like this ? come on !

Last edited by Puck U: 02-26-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Bandit

My opinion is that if anyone on our team needs to be threatened with being traded in order to motivate them, we have a very serious problem.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I think its more of a coincidence then anything else...none of the goals were really that remarkable, when you think about it.

Perhaps the best goal was no. 2, where he deftly moved out of the way of the shot and put the stick right on the rebound...Crawford never had a chance.

Brown should not be traded, period. I always felt that way...this guy is a leader on and off the ice, and contrary to what many say here I believe he is far more consistent than most of the Kings have been this year.

He always gives the effort, and you can't say that about everyone. As an aside, you may ask the same question of Stoll...if anyone was showing a fear of being traded, it was him tonight. Totally different player than what I've seen all year.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Wooty

The Hawks were so non-competitive, a straight ahead player will succeed because it is the simplest way to play.

Brown had good hands tonight and he is really getting strong at the close up sniping (but their goalie was kind of poor...)

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:18 AM
redcard

You could see from his reactions that it was certainly on his mind.

Its pretty easy to read, but difficult to explain. His body language and facial expressions after scoring were not the normal "smile because we took the lead/increased the lead" that you would see in a normal circumstance. He instead had a serious, almost angry look that you would usually see from someone who felt like they had something to prove.

That being said, I don't think he happened to be parked in front of the net in prime position to bang home a rebound or sprung on a breakaway because of the rumors...all that would have happened regardless.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Its pretty easy to read, but difficult to explain. His body language and facial expressions after scoring were not the normal "smile because we took the lead/increased the lead" that you would see in a normal circumstance. He instead had a serious, almost angry look that you would usually see from someone who felt like they had something to prove.
I agree totally with this...this was my sense too. He didn't celebrate as though he normally would.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:26 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:

That being said, I don't think he happened to be parked in front of the net in prime position to bang home a rebound or sprung on a breakaway because of the rumors...all that would have happened regardless.
yes. this was not just another game for Dustin. he was playing to keep his family in their home. you could see it in every play of the first two periods. an alignment of determination and the stars produced that hatttrick tonight

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:06 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:

Yea I've noticed this too. Dude would usually have a big smile on his face whenever he scores a goal. He was in beast mode.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

to be fair, Brown rarely smiles when he scores during a game, unless its a game winner in the last few minutse or something

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Moscowitz

DERP!!! Sorry. What was the question again?

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
OldGreatWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
to be fair, Brown rarely smiles when he scores during a game, unless its a game winner in the last few minutse or something
false

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I also saw him argue with the ref about a call, which I haven't seen in awhile. Let's be honest here, Brown is the captain of the Kings, he plays in a market where he receives ZERO criticism of his game and can live a private, quiet life off the ice. Now he is under fire for the first time in his career and he responded with one of the best games ever. I hope he learned this is how he needs to play EVERY game, not once every 2 years. I'm not saying he needs to have a hatty every night, he needs to lead the team on the ice, if he's not scoring he's hitting, arguing calls, getting in people's faces, not skating away from scrums, cut out the smiles-lead the troops. Beast mode should be 82 games a year, that's his job.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I also saw him argue with the ref about a call, which I haven't seen in awhile. Let's be honest here, Brown is the captain of the Kings, he plays in a market where he receives ZERO criticism of his game and can live a private, quiet life off the ice. Now he is under fire for the first time in his career and he responded with one of the best games ever. I hope he learned this is how he needs to play EVERY game, not once every 2 years. I'm not saying he needs to have a hatty every night, he needs to lead the team on the ice, if he's not scoring he's hitting, arguing calls, getting in people's faces, not skating away from scrums, cut out the smiles-lead the troops. Beast mode should be 82 games a year, that's his job.
He's always hitting.

I also don't mind him "skating away" from scrums, because a leader in the penalty box for 5 minutes is not a leader. The guy is not a fighter, period. That's not his role.

Last night, one of the Hawks tried to engage him, AFTER the hat trick already. He smartly walked away...why get involved? He's hot, maybe he's got another goal in him, he is more valuable on the ice.

I don't understand much of your post, actually.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:31 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
My opinion is that if anyone on our team needs to be threatened with being traded in order to motivate them, we have a very serious problem.
This.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Oh, and that "quiet hockey market" this year got a coach fired, a GM on the hot seat, many long-time Kings fans booing the team repeatedly, having all drunk into "the time is now" kool-aid.

Lots of goings on in this quiet, sleepy little hockey market.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreatWestern View Post
false
um no, truth. Just look through his goals, way less than half the time he smiles after scoring. Most of the time hes serious, taps gloves, then gets on with the rest of the game

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't understand much of your post, actually.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you didn't really read it.

He wasn't suggesting the Brown fight, just that he doesn't back down from confrontations. There is a huge difference between fighting all the time and getting involved. Brown rarely does either. No one could possibly deny that Brown is a terrible fighter, but you can get away with a hell of a lot after the whistle without going off the ice for 5 minutes, and nearly every other player in the league does while Brown is looking over his shoulder as he's skating to the bench. He did the right thing in the 3rd yesterday by skating away when someone (forget who) was trying to goad him into a penalty with a 4-0 lead, but this is a constant problem weather there up by 4 or down by 1.

As for the hitting, yes he does throw a lot of hits, but they are mostly ineffective from a situational perspective. The vast majority of Brown's hits are after the puck is long gone. Twice last night Voynov & Greene hit guys that separated them from the puck and resulted in a change of possession in favor of LA, Brown's hits rarely do.

In any case he had a great game, but as I said, if he needs to be threatened with being traded in order to man up, then he's not the right man for the job.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Nex06

Trade rumors had nothing to do with anything.

I found the comment Fox made during the game more interesting. He said that perhaps players were even a bit more relaxed, because the big trade had been done, and it wasn't them who got traded. It makes more sense to me, to be honest. I don't think that this group of players doesn't care about winning until they feel threatened. Ridiculous.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Quoted for the win!

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Trading Brown would be dumb, he's good and physical, cant find anyone of his skills for a straight forward trade

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Browns biggest woe is Inconsistency.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Trading Brown would be dumb, he's good and physical, cant find anyone of his skills for a straight forward trade
Except for Shane Doan, but whatever.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Trade rumors had nothing to do with anything.

I found the comment Fox made during the game more interesting. He said that perhaps players were even a bit more relaxed, because the big trade had been done, and it wasn't them who got traded. It makes more sense to me, to be honest. I don't think that this group of players doesn't care about winning until they feel threatened. Ridiculous.
Martinez played better than he has in a long time. Even if he didn't get traded, if no defenesman was traded he might not have had a spot. Not so for guys like Stoll or the rest who may have been worried about a trade but not ice time.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Keep it real....

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote