HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes 3 Oilers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 09:56 PM
  #151
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
They've played 61games and have one guy with 40pts.

Two of their highest scoring players are defenceman.

My comment is about forwards. I acknowledged already that they have 2 all world D and one all world Goalie. Those 3 players having most to do with how Nashville competes.

I'd pick the Phoenix forward group over Nashvilles any day of the week.
Your argument is one big contradiction

Premise (from your posts):
1. Phoenix has better forwards
2. Nashville has no skilled forwards

Facts:
1. Nashville scores 11th g/g
2. Phoenix scores at 17th g/g

Your conclusion:
1. Phoenix is more exciting
2. Phoenix has a better team game, despite more players contributing to scoring on the Preds

Any other posters find these conclusions from those premises? i certainly dont...

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
  #152
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Mike Smith's dive was embarrassing


Meh...whatever. Although probably not as embarrassing as Devan Dubnyks whiff on the 2nd Phoenix goal.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 PM
  #153
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Your argument is one big contradiction

Premise (from your posts):
1. Phoenix has better forwards
2. Nashville has no skilled forwards

Facts:
1. Nashville scores 11th g/g
2. Phoenix scores at 17th g/g

Your conclusion:
1. Phoenix is more exciting
2. Phoenix has a better team game, despite more players contributing to scoring on the Preds

Any other posters find these conclusions from those premises? i certainly dont...

Not going to get into this with you two, but a lot of offence can be generated from a great back end. And if you're solid defensively, chances are you'll spend a lot more time in the other teams end, resulting in more chances, and therefore more goals. Just sayin.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 PM
  #154
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
tough loss. anyone else find it a tad coincidental that a team owned by the league has the fewest penalties called on it to this point in the season? Not wearing a tinfoil hat here just thought it was interesting.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
  #155
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
You need to move down to Phoenix then, and get seasons tickets so you can join all the other 300 season ticket holders who seem to enjoy this "exciting" brand of hockey.
I try to get a chant of "strong system play" going every time I go to a game but for some reason it never catches on. S'weird.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
  #156
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not going to get into this with you two, but a lot of offence can be generated from a great back end. And if you're solid defensively, chances are you'll spend a lot more time in the other teams end, resulting in more chances, and therefore more goals. Just sayin.
Precisely.

Just like Chris Pronger did here. The scary thing being Nashville has 2 forwards with that kind of offensive capacity. By far more talented players all over the ice than any forward in the lineup.

Weber and Suter basically tilt the ice. Not to mention nearly 40 of Nashvilles goals come from the D alone.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:07 PM
  #157
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
tough loss. anyone else find it a tad coincidental that a team owned by the league has the fewest penalties called on it to this point in the season? Not wearing a tinfoil hat here just thought it was interesting.
Well, if you see how they play, it's not surprising. Very well coached and disciplined team. They don't need the refs' help.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
  #158
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
tough loss. anyone else find it a tad coincidental that a team owned by the league has the fewest penalties called on it to this point in the season? Not wearing a tinfoil hat here just thought it was interesting.
Nah, they are one of the lowest teams in power play opportunities as well. They play a slow, boring style that involves a lot of dumping and chasing so there isn't going to be many penalties in there games.

It does bug me that the Oilers are last in the league in third period power plays though. Seems like we never get the calls when the game is on the line.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
  #159
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,611
vCash: 500
For those who were concerned,
Quote:
Magnus Pääjärvi ‏ @mps_91
After getting a couple mentions about "promoting" illegal downloading I should of mention that I downloaded it on iTunes of course… #mybad

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
  #160
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Your argument is one big contradiction

Premise (from your posts):
1. Phoenix has better forwards
2. Nashville has no skilled forwards

Facts:
1. Nashville scores 11th g/g
2. Phoenix scores at 17th g/g

Your conclusion:
1. Phoenix is more exciting
2. Phoenix has a better team game, despite more players contributing to scoring on the Preds

Any other posters find these conclusions from those premises? i certainly dont...
Oh please.

Theres 6 goals difference in GF between the two teams and youre pawning off ranking differential as if its meaningful.

Note next all along in this conversation I've been talking about forward production.

Phoenix has more goals from forwards than Nashville has.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
  #161
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oh please.

Theres 6 goals difference in GF between the two teams and youre pawning off ranking differential as if its meaningful.

Note next all along in this conversation I've been talking about forward production.

Phoenix has more goals from forwards than Nashville has.
So having a greater percent of your goals from your forwards constitutes better team play?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
  #162
dbontheb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I try to get a chant of "strong system play" going every time I go to a game but for some reason it never catches on. S'weird.
That's hilarious. If I ever hear that one I'll join in for sure.

dbontheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:39 PM
  #163
dobiezeke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
So having a greater percent of your goals from your forwards constitutes better team play?
It is when you are trying to point out a fact that has no difference in the outcome of todays game.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:08 PM
  #164
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,720
vCash: 500
All Phoenix has is Vrbata playing over his head. Whitney is barely ahead of Erat for PPG, while Fisher is ahead of Doan. After that Nashville actually has more depth and production.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:50 PM
  #165
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
With the system working for Phoenix every time this year, but it failing for Nashville a couple times, Nashville games have definitely been more entertaining to watch.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:44 AM
  #166
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
All Phoenix has is Vrbata playing over his head. Whitney is barely ahead of Erat for PPG, while Fisher is ahead of Doan. After that Nashville actually has more depth and production.
Whitney has about 15 more pts than Erat when I last looked. Vrbata also well ahead. At least Phoenix has a couple forwards with over 50pts. Like I said a lot of the Nashville offense comes from having 2 or the best D on the planet.

Thing with the Preds is that their entire game hinges on an allstar goalie and a fantastic D pairing that can pimp 30mins in the playoffs. Its those 3 holding up the whole gig. Easily a non playoff club without those players.

Phoenix don't have superstar D or Goalie but play a better TEAM game.


Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:49 AM
  #167
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
With the system working for Phoenix every time this year, but it failing for Nashville a couple times, Nashville games have definitely been more entertaining to watch.
if only because we have our way with Nashville and often enough give them one hell of a lot of problems. Which doesn't say a whole lot about the preds that a 30th place club has had their number these past few seasons. Nashville generally play like **** against the Oilers. We're even winning the season series.

2009-10 season: Mon Oct 12 2009 at Nas Edmonton 6, Nashville 1

2009-10 season: Thu Dec 17 2009 at Edm Nashville 6, Edmonton 3

2009-10 season: Tue Jan 12 2010 at Edm Nashville 5, Edmonton 3

2009-10 season: Tue Mar 2 2010 at Nas Nashville 4, Edmonton 3

2010-11 season: Sun Jan 23 2011 at Edm Nashville 3, Edmonton 2 (SO)

2010-11 season: Mon Feb 7 2011 at Nas Edmonton 4, Nashville 0

2010-11 season: Tue Mar 1 2011 at Edm Edmonton 2, Nashville 1 (SO)

2010-11 season: Tue Mar 22 2011 at Nas Nashville 3, Edmonton 1

2011-12 season: Mon Oct 17 2011 at Edm Edmonton 3, Nashville 1

2011-12 season: Tue Nov 22 2011 at Nas Edmonton 6, Nashville 2

2011-12 season: Mon Nov 28 2011 at Edm Nashville 2, Edmonton 1

2011-12 season: Tue Mar 20 2012 Edm at Nas

Primary team Edmonton: 5-5-0-1 in these games.
Goals for Edmonton: 34
Goals against Edmonton: 28




Meanwhile in the last few years Phoenix owns us and perhaps why the games don't seem as much fun Coyotes also up 3-0 in games in the season series. Night and day different experience for our club playing Phoenix, vs playing Nashville:

2009-10 season: Mon Nov 23 2009 at Edm Edmonton 4, Phoenix 0

2009-10 season: Tue Jan 5 2010 at Edm Phoenix 5, Edmonton 4 (OT)

2009-10 season: Mon Feb 8 2010 at Pho Phoenix 6, Edmonton 1

2009-10 season: Sat Apr 3 2010 at Pho Phoenix 3, Edmonton 2 (SO)

2010-11 season: Fri Nov 19 2010 at Edm Phoenix 4, Edmonton 3 (SO)

2010-11 season: Tue Nov 23 2010 at Pho Phoenix 5, Edmonton 0

2010-11 season: Tue Jan 25 2011 at Pho Edmonton 4, Phoenix 3

2010-11 season: Thu Mar 17 2011 at Edm Phoenix 3, Edmonton 1

2011-12 season: Sat Nov 5 2011 at Pho Phoenix 4, Edmonton 2

2011-12 season: Thu Dec 15 2011 at Pho Phoenix 4, Edmonton 2

2011-12 season: Sat Feb 25 2012 Pho 3 at Edm 1

2011-12 season: Sun Mar 18 2012 Pho at Edm




Primary team Edmonton: 2-6-1-2 in these games.
Goals for Edmonton: 24
Goals against Edmonton: 40


Last edited by Replacement: 02-26-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:03 AM
  #168
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
How are people blaming Dubnyk in this game... First goal, 2 deflections, that no one would have stopped... 2nd goal, Whitney comes in on a a 1 on 3, yet somehow gets through everyone for a point blank shot (yeah it may have looked "weak" but still), and the 3rd, one only a handful of goalies in the league stop that shot, perfect shot by a great player.

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:34 AM
  #169
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Whitney has about 15 more pts than Erat when I last looked. Vrbata also well ahead. At least Phoenix has a couple forwards with over 50pts. Like I said a lot of the Nashville offense comes from having 2 or the best D on the planet.

Thing with the Preds is that their entire game hinges on an allstar goalie and a fantastic D pairing that can pimp 30mins in the playoffs. Its those 3 holding up the whole gig. Easily a non playoff club without those players.

Phoenix don't have superstar D or Goalie but play a better TEAM game.
Erat has 46 points in 54 games. Whitney has 57 in 62. There really isn't a gap there.

Like I said, Vrbata having a miracle year is the only thing Phoenix has in its favor. Nashville's forwards are quite easily out scoring them otherwise.

They're Nashville with worse forwards and no elite defense or goalie. Lucky for them their division is bad to mediocre this year.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:30 AM
  #170
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Erat has 46 points in 54 games. Whitney has 57 in 62. There really isn't a gap there.

Like I said, Vrbata having a miracle year is the only thing Phoenix has in its favor. Nashville's forwards are quite easily out scoring them otherwise.
They're Nashville with worse forwards and no elite defense or goalie. Lucky for them their division is bad to mediocre this year.
heh, my luck that Nashville scored 6goals last night unbeknownst to me as I was trying to make my point. doh.

btw the bolded simply isn't true. 37 of Nashvilles goals have come from defence. 139 have come from their forwards. Phoenix altenately has 141goals from forwards and only 23 from D. Phoenix forwards actually have more goals, albeit right now a slim margin.

Obviously Nashville has better, and much more talented D. But I was only ever talking about forwards in this discussion.

But as to the causality of production a lot of Nashville goals originate from brilliant play by Weber and Suter at both ends of the ice. You could stick some pretty normal forwards in that group and obtain some production. Phoenix HAS to play a better team game to survive and do. Nashville only has to rely night after night on 3 of the best players on the planet.

Finally, I would want any of Doan, Vrbata, or Whitney on my club. I honestly wouldn't want any of Nashvilles forwards on my club. Not one.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  #171
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
How are people blaming Dubnyk in this game... First goal, 2 deflections, that no one would have stopped... 2nd goal, Whitney comes in on a a 1 on 3, yet somehow gets through everyone for a point blank shot (yeah it may have looked "weak" but still), and the 3rd, one only a handful of goalies in the league stop that shot, perfect shot by a great player.
The second was very weak and any NHL goalie should be able to make that stop. If Dubnyk even has his goalie stick square on the ice he makes that stop.

That 2-0 goal changed the whole tone of the game.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
  #172
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 500
Why are people defending Dubnyk? If this was one of only a few games where he's let in softies, that'd be one thing. But he does this on a regular basis. Almost every damn game, it seems.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
  #173
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 50
I know this is a bit late...but did anyone notice that Hemsky seemed to play with a lot less weight on his shoulders in this game? It was like a black cloud was lifted from over him.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
  #174
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
The 2-0 goal was a back breaker.
Smith made 3 or 4 huge saves in the second and a few really good ones in the first as well. He was smothering everything, no rebounds, no loose pucks in the crease.
Even the first goal PHX scored was completely against the run of play. Despite the shot totals being low the majority of all 3 periods was played in the PHX zone, they just did a good job of keeping the puck to the outside, and when they did break down Smith would bail them out.

Look at how hard the Oil had to work to score, that was a world class goal from Nuge. Phoenix didn't have to work very hard for their goal, a routine shot from the point almost at the half boards takes a few deflections and Dubnyk didn't even see it. Whitney had no business scoring on a 1 on 3 and that was the defense and Dubnyk's bad. The Doan goal was just a great shot on a rush the other way with Edm trying to push to tie it up.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:26 PM
  #175
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Whitney has about 15 more pts than Erat when I last looked. Vrbata also well ahead. At least Phoenix has a couple forwards with over 50pts. Like I said a lot of the Nashville offense comes from having 2 or the best D on the planet.

Thing with the Preds is that their entire game hinges on an allstar goalie and a fantastic D pairing that can pimp 30mins in the playoffs. Its those 3 holding up the whole gig. Easily a non playoff club without those players.

Phoenix don't have superstar D or Goalie but play a better TEAM game.
Yandle and OEL say hi.


Phoenix is such a good team because they don't make mistakes and have one of the top couple 2 way centers in the league. Plus, Doan is a beast and Whitney hasn't seemed to have aged lol.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.