HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline Day

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I thought we wanted to upgrade our NHL goaltending.
Yep. I'd rather the Oilers keep their 2nd round picks for transactions with more tangible returns than a 25 yr old AHL goaltender who's only just now putting up strong AHL numbers, I don't care how tall he is. A 3rd or 4th round pick, sure...but not a 2nd.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:48 AM
coolwasabi

Ben Bishop for a 2nd? Nice.
The Oilers could've used that.

Still, I wouldn't beat up Tambellini too much.
- Other teams besides the Oilers would've pulled the trigger on this deal too.
- Maybe the Blues are thanking the Sens for giving them Elliot.
- There will be goalies available during the summer on the dime (e.g. Harding, Biron, Niittymaki). If Tamby doesn't address the goaltending this summer, then he should rightly be criticized.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I'm surprised to see so many upset that we didn't acquire Bishop. He didn't beat out Elliot, a guy who was mediocre last season, for the backup job. Also consider the fact that the he probably wanted a 1-way contract as he was set to hit UFA due lack of games played. Bishop is an unproven commodity in the NHL, whereas at least we know to some degree what we are getting with our goaltenders.

With the re-signing of Hemsky, it would appear that management is looking to head into next season with a little more roster certainty. Adding Bishop is a step backwards as there are more proven NHL goaltenders that might be capable of stepping up into a starter role. Bernier, Harding and Schneider make much more sense from the Oilers point of view than Bishop.
I don't disagree that they make more sense but can Tambo pull off a deal for them? I question his ability in that department. AND, if he can 'somehow' pull it off, what will he give up? A lot more than a 2nd round pick I'd imagine..

Old
02-26-2012, 11:51 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I don't disagree that they make more sense but can Tambo pull off a deal for them? I question his ability in that department. AND, if he can 'somehow' pull it off, what will he give up? A lot more than a 2nd round pick I'd imagine..
Hopefully, one of those 3 will be a "disgruntled" backup after this season and want out to a team that allows them to play

In other news:
Khabi just said he's good to play now.

@NHL_Oilers
"I'm good to go." -Khabibulin on his return from injury.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Digger12

And for the record, our current AHL goaltending is giving us numbers every bit as good. Putting up .920+ sv percentages in the AHL isn't a rare diamond.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
We could offer sheet Schnieder for 3.1 million and still only give up a 2nd (mind you, I think it would take about 4.5 which is our 1st and 3rd to get Vancouver not to match it)

Old
02-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yep. I'd rather the Oilers keep their 2nd round picks for transactions with more tangible returns than a 25 yr old AHL goaltender who's only just now putting up strong AHL numbers, I don't care how tall he is. A 3rd or 4th round pick, sure...but not a 2nd.
That would be fine if they indeed use the pick for more tangibles. I'm not convinced Tambo will. The easiest thing for any GM to do is nothing and let things play out. If you get 'lucky' and something falls in your lap, you look like a genius (Smyth?). If not, oh well, there was nothing there and we picked a nice player "that may never play in the NHL". It just seems we rarely make these moves.
Is it the right one? I guess we'll find out. My only point is I don't believe Tambo and company are doing much work behind the scenes and just relax and let things come to them. Hell, I could do that and pick the players off McKenzie's list. Should I be paid half a million a year for it?

Old
02-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
@NHL_Oilers
"I'm good to go." -Khabibulin on his return from injury.
To Tampa?

Old
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
To Tampa?
Tbay, TO, go anywhere

Old
02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Ben Bishop for a 2nd? Nice.
The Oilers could've used that.

Still, I wouldn't beat up Tambellini too much.
- Other teams besides the Oilers would've pulled the trigger on this deal too.
- Maybe the Blues are thanking the Sens for giving them Elliot.
- There will be goalies available during the summer on the dime (e.g. Harding, Biron, Niittymaki). If Tamby doesn't address the goaltending this summer, then he should rightly be criticized.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1116257&page=2 I proposed exact same thing last night Bishop for a 2nd to retain his rights.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper_blue View Post
Is Bishop better than Bernier or Harding? Did Tambo fall asleep at the wheel on this one.
Quote:
It's deals like the Bishop trade that make me question Tambo's ability to have a handle on what's happening in the business world of the NHL. It seems we've seen many times over the last couple of years you hear about transactions and think 'why couldn't the Oilers do this'? Outside the Pronger deal to the Oil that many years ago (and I still think he fell into the Oil laps rather than us finding him), I can't think of many 'smart' pick ups.
Anaheim's 2nd round pick will be better than Ottawa's so it's pretty clear they could have made the deal. Bishop has been talked about on here for a couple of weeks now so it's not like it's a surprise. So, I ask again, was Tambo sleeping?

maybe because unless we dump khabby we have no room?

sens have an expiring contract in auld. and hes worse than both our guys.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
To Tampa?
Quick! Someone tell Burke!!!

Old
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
There's no point in trading for a Harding/Bishop/etc. unless they're able to move Khabibulin. I know there's a really good chance that most of them get signed in the mean time, but the 2013 UFA goalie class sure looks a lot better than the 2012 group.

Lehtonen
Quick
Howard
Backstrom
Smith

02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's no point in trading for a Harding/Bishop/etc. unless they're able to move Khabibulin. I know there's a really good chance that most of them get signed in the mean time, but the 2013 UFA goalie class sure looks a lot better than the 2012 group.

Lehtonen
Quick
Howard
Backstrom
Smith
Of that group, I only want Quick. And there's no way LA let's him test free agency

Old
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
inxs

Do you think Cam Barker is on the block.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:19 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by inxs View Post
I'm sure he is.

I'm not so sure anyone wants him.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:20 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inxs View Post
I think Edmonton would give him up for pratically anything at this point.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Cerebral

I would be thrilled if we could move Khabibulin for a pick/prospect and then pick up one of the young prospect goaltenders who are currently being blocked in their organization (Schneider, Bernier, Harding etc.) Khabibulin has been pretty good for us this year but him and Dubnyk are almost statistically the same and this might be a good chance to roll the dice a little.

02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Lehtonen
Quick
Howard
Backstrom
Smith
Why? Tambo gets paid good dollars to improve the Oilers. Don't know for sure but I feel Bishop would have been a good move with very little consequences if he failed.
I was envisioning a combination of Dubynk and Bishop going forward and Tambo being able to off-load Khabby for a 7th round pick or something. If he couldn't off-load him and/or Bishop didn't work out, big deal. You gave Bishop a one way but all that means is you have to pay him NHL dollars to play in the minors and it's for one year. I think Katz can afford it in hopes it works out. Worst case scenario it costs a little more but you have the best AHL goalie for your Calder run..
Best case, it works out, Khabby is in TO for a late pick and Bishop continues his winning ways in the NHL with Dubby as backup.
I can't see a loss there. As I said, Oil don't seem to make these deals and I have to wonder why. My gut instinct is as I said earlier. They simply aren't trying and are hoping 'things work out' by themselves.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I think Edmonton would give him up for pratically anything at this point.
I agree. He just didn't pan out like we hoped (not that it's much of a shock)

Old
02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I honestly believe that Tambo does not see a problem with the goaltending. I expect him to stand pat.
I just don't think that he is able to properly recognize the the teams limitations. He seems fine holding out hope that Dubnyk will find his game, improve his lateral movement and get mentally tough enough not to let in so many bad goals. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the unbalanced roster. He doesn't seem to think its an issue to play dmen above their level of ability. There is little evidence that Tambo has a feel for what it takes to improve the team if it doesn't involve the draft.

The fact that he missed the boat on acquiring a player like Bishop seems obvious enough but I think he wasn't even considering boarding.
He is not even in the game.
I didn't know that the 2012 offseason was over already. Tambellini has the whole offseason to address some needs so lets not jump the gun by saying that he's content with the unbalanced roster and thinks that Dubnyk is the answer.

However, i will agree that if he goes into next season with the Khabby-Dubie tandem and doesn't bring in a top 4 defenseman then i will start to really question what direction that this team is going in but it's too early to jump all over him for the lack of moves.
I gotta say though, that i'm a little dsiappointed that he wouldn't give up one of the 2013 2nd rounders for Bishop, it seemed like a worthwhile risk. Ah well.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
As Oilbleeder's lady friend would say, size isn't everything.

Dubnyk is the smallest 6'6 I've ever seen in net.
I knew its only a matter of time that this will get brought up.

DD & Neimi are both big but they looked small when they start to lean over forward too much in their crouch. At least Niemi cover the low shot better.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I would be thrilled if we could move Khabibulin for a pick/prospect and then pick up one of the young prospect goaltenders who are currently being blocked in their organization (Schneider, Bernier, Harding etc.) Khabibulin has been pretty good for us this year but him and Dubnyk are almost statistically the same and this might be a good chance to roll the dice a little.
I actually think thats the only way we are gonna improve the goaltending. Gonna have to find a "star" backup hindered by the incumbent

Old
02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Stoneman89

This sounds crazy, but I have a funny feeling Nashville will make a big move tomorrow.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Ryan Jones for Dustin Penner. Do it!

Then extend Pancake boy for 2 years at $2.5M/yr and let him be a 2nd-3rd line tweener.

Anybody read this?

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/02/18...ss-with-skill/

That's a whole lot of money to pay a 5 goal scorer who shows up when he feels like it.

Closed Thread