HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A trade thought.

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2006, 07:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
A trade thought.

With the addition of Seidenberg, it seems to me that Morris could become expendable upon his return from injury. I've noticed a few threads speculating that we could be in the market for a center. With Sanderson and Johnson playing the pivot position these past couple of games, I can see why we might want to add one. So, I was thinking that trading Derek Morris for a center might not be a bad idea.

During my free preview of "Center Ice" (many, many thanks to Converse for letting me in on that) I was able to see a couple of Buffalo games, and I came away very impressed with Tim Connolly. I was actually kind of hoping that we might work something out where Nedved, "+" went to Buffalo and Connolly came this way, but I guess it wasn't to be. There has also been alot of talk since the begining of the season that Buffalo could use an upgrade at defense.

Right now Derek Morris is injured and can't be traded. Danny Briere is also out until February, so I don't think that Buffalo would deal any center until he is back. Once Morris and Briere are off of the IR, do you guys think a Morris for Connolly deal is a realistic possibility? Do you think it makes any sense for either team? Is it fair? Would you be happy if it went down?

If you guys don't want to read this whole stupid post, here is a break down:

Derek Morris for Tim Connolly

Thoughts?

Old
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
ParisSaintGermain

a few more infos: Connolly is making just over $1M, not sure what is the length of his contract (it seems he has been signed for a year last summer ).
Another 1999 draftee!

rt, I haven't seen Connolly play this year: what are his strength/weaknesses?
His point production has really jumped this year, it seems.

Old
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
andimgone

Morris >>>> Seidenberg

If Morris can bring the same game he did right before the injury, he is Phoenix's best defenseman. Seidenberg doesn't make Morris expendable at all. Seidenberg will likely be in the press box when Morris comes back.

I wish O'Donnell would be dealt. He would be nice to keep as a 6th/7th defenseman, but he makes too much.

Old
01-24-2006, 07:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Another 1999 draftee!
I noticed that, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
rt, I haven't seen Connolly play this year: what are his strength/weaknesses?
His point production has really jumped this year, it seems.
I'm by no means an expert, here, I mean we are talking about my seeing all of three games. The best way to explain why I was impressed, is that he made **** happen. He created offense. He looked like Mike Comrie when he is really on.

Old
01-24-2006, 08:02 PM
hbk

Drury with his contract might be available. Problem is we already have arguably the best third line center in teh game (Scatchard) and I'm not sure that Drury can effectively manage a #1 or #2 center ice role. He's also very overpaid and struggled badly early this season before turning his game around here in the last month or two.

Connelly is likely unavailable. We could have taken a flyer on him last year for cheap but now the price is WAY up. With Briere hurt, he's not going anywhere.

Buffalo would love Ballard back in their organization. Not likely to happen as he's a lock on our roster for years to come.

Old
01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Drury with his contract might be available. Problem is we already have arguably the best third line center in teh game (Scatchard) and I'm not sure that Drury can effectively manage a #1 or #2 center ice role. He's also very overpaid and struggled badly early this season before turning his game around here in the last month or two.

Connelly is likely unavailable. We could have taken a flyer on him last year for cheap but now the price is WAY up. With Briere hurt, he's not going anywhere.

Buffalo would love Ballard back in their organization. Not likely to happen as he's a lock on our roster for years to come.
Drury is the captain and leads the team in scoring (last I checked).

Although you are right about Connally's price likely being WAY up, is it much higher than Derek Morris'?

I know Briere is hurt. Morris is hurt, too. Obviously, he can't be dealt before then, and it is very unlikely Buffalo would deal any center before Briere's return. I believe they are both due back in the middle of next month. That is when this trade would have to happen.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
CoyotesIce99

We ain't going to get any good young scorer. Which manager in his right mind is going to trade that player to the Coyotes? The price will be too hefty. Most managers are asking in return like Nagy, Doan, Ballard, Lenny, Mara, Morris, Sjostrom, Michalek, 1st rd pick , etc. Coyotes will not want to part them easily.

The only top young player that I think the Coyotes might trade away is Comrie. They probably realized by now that Comrie is just too soft & small to be # 1 or 2 centre on a consistent basis.

I rather have Barnett try to sign Morris to an extension during the Olympic break. Yes, Morris did not have a great season, but I think he is not 100% healthy most of the season. What happens if he has a great season next yr? He is not too old & is reaching the peak of his career.
Our defense is potentially very good with Morris, Mara, Ballard, Michalek, Gauthier, Seidenberg, Jones. What happens if Ballard, Michalek suffer sophomore jinx next yr?

Most good players in the NHL have one or two bad yrs (with the exception of some superstars) & then they rebound. Players like Tanquay, Gagne, Kubina, Ryan Smyth, Jokinen, Kariya, Rob Blake to name a few all have had one or two bad yrs in their career up to date.

I would not trade Morris for just Connolly. Connolly is having a career yr, but he is not a proven star, not a point per game player, not an exciting/ game breaker player. We could get more than that for Morris.
Coyotes just hope that either Hanzal, Wheeler, Lisin, Winnik, Sjostrom develop into 1st or 2nd line scorer.

Last edited by CoyotesIce99: 01-25-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old
01-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Connelly is out 6-8 weeks with a knee injury so we can forget about this one. I don't believe Regier would have made the trade anyway.

As for Morris, unless we can sign him to a reasonable contract of not more than just over $2 mill per he will get overpaid by some team in the offseason. If Barnett cannot get him signed without having to overpay, he needs to be traded. If we count on and accept Morris as our #1 d-man, or even on the top pairing in my opinion, we are doomed to more mediocrity. I see him as a god 3rd guy but we need to pay him as such.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesIce99
We ain't going to get any good young scorer. Which manager in his right mind is going to trade that player to the Coyotes?
Fair enough.
Quote:
I would not trade Morris for just Connolly. Connolly is having a career yr, but he is not a proven star, not a point per game player, not an exciting/ game breaker player. We could get more than that for Morris.
Now I'm confused. We don't have enough to trade for a good young scorer like Connolly, but Morris is too much to give up for a good young scorer like Connolly? I'm gonna need a little help on that.
Quote:
I rather have Barnett try to sign Morris to an extension during the Olympic break. Yes, Morris did not have a great season, but I think he is not 100% healthy most of the season. What happens if he has a great season next yr? He is not too old & is reaching the peak of his career.
I wouldn't have a problem with Morris struggling this season if he acted like he actually gave a **** about it. Doan struggled early on this year, but you could tell he was pissed about it. Slumps are understandable, but D-Mo doesn't look like he wants to be here. This is just my opinion of course. I just don't have a whole lot of hope for Morris to play like he is capable of, with this team, anyway. BTW, many fans in Calgary and Denver share similar opinions.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
I don't believe Regier would have made the trade anyway.
I'm not very good at gauging trade value.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Prentice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
With the addition of Seidenberg, it seems to me that Morris could become expendable upon his return from injury. I've noticed a few threads speculating that we could be in the market for a center. With Sanderson and Johnson playing the pivot position these past couple of games, I can see why we might want to add one. So, I was thinking that trading Derek Morris for a center might not be a bad idea.

During my free preview of "Center Ice" (many, many thanks to Converse for letting me in on that) I was able to see a couple of Buffalo games, and I came away very impressed with Tim Connolly. I was actually kind of hoping that we might work something out where Nedved, "+" went to Buffalo and Connolly came this way, but I guess it wasn't to be. There has also been alot of talk since the begining of the season that Buffalo could use an upgrade at defense.

Right now Derek Morris is injured and can't be traded. Danny Briere is also out until February, so I don't think that Buffalo would deal any center until he is back. Once Morris and Briere are off of the IR, do you guys think a Morris for Connolly deal is a realistic possibility? Do you think it makes any sense for either team? Is it fair? Would you be happy if it went down?

If you guys don't want to read this whole stupid post, here is a break down:

Derek Morris for Tim Connolly

Thoughts?

Old
01-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Prentice*

In true Coyote fashion, one injured player for another.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Prentice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
Connelly is out 6-8 weeks with a knee injury so we can forget about this one. I don't believe Regier would have made the trade anyway.

As for Morris, unless we can sign him to a reasonable contract of not more than just over $2 mill per he will get overpaid by some team in the offseason. If Barnett cannot get him signed without having to overpay, he needs to be traded. If we count on and accept Morris as our #1 d-man, or even on the top pairing in my opinion, we are doomed to more mediocrity. I see him as a god 3rd guy but we need to pay him as such.
Yote, if you can see this, you are correct.

Closed Thread