HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes 3 Oilers 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2012, 12:35 PM
  #176
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I know this is a bit late...but did anyone notice that Hemsky seemed to play with a lot less weight on his shoulders in this game? It was like a black cloud was lifted from over him.

Not really much difference to me. I thought he looked every bit as good against the Flyers and Flames, if not better. He's been coming on for some time now.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  #177
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
FTR, Whitney is absolutely amazing. 41 years old and still plays like a kid. Has absolutely sick hands still and incredible hockey sense. If Phoenix was in the dumps, he would have been a marvelous pickup to any contending team out there. Love to watch him play, best thing on a very vanilla, boring team.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  #178
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Why are people defending Dubnyk? If this was one of only a few games where he's let in softies, that'd be one thing. But he does this on a regular basis. Almost every damn game, it seems.
yeah he wasnt great, but its absurd to blame him on 1st and 3rd goals.



the 2nd was definitely ugly, and he does tend to have one of those every game.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  #179
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Yandle and OEL say hi.


Phoenix is such a good team because they don't make mistakes and have one of the top couple 2 way centers in the league. Plus, Doan is a beast and Whitney hasn't seemed to have aged lol.
It has a LOT to do with Mike Smith.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  #180
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
yeah he wasnt great, but its absurd to blame him on 1st and 3rd goals.



the 2nd was definitely ugly, and he does tend to have one of those every game.

And therein lies the problem. The whole team looked out of sync yesterday, but the Tippett coached Coyotes will do that to you if you don't adapt. Goalies that continually give up a bad goal nearly every game aren't long in this league. Not saying he's a lost cause, but he has to remove that from his game asap, in order for the org to have any trust in him going forward.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:43 PM
  #181
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It has a LOT to do with Mike Smith.
Smith has played well no doubt, but he is protected by the Coyotes system big time. They just don't give a lot of quality up. Unfortunatley for them, when they run up against a talented, seasoned team like the Wings or Canucks or Sharks in the playoffs, they will succumb, because those teams can play the same way due to their experience and depth, and have way more talent.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  #182
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Smith has played well no doubt, but he is protected by the Coyotes system big time. They just don't give a lot of quality up. Unfortunatley for them, when they run up against a talented, seasoned team like the Wings or Canucks or Sharks in the playoffs, they will succumb, because those teams can play the same way due to their experience and depth, and have way more talent.
This being even more the case with Nashville who have a deplorable post season history, and this being their playoff record postcap. They've ridden the best goalie on the planet, and 2 of the best D on the planet, to essentially nothing:

Primary team Nashville: 12-22 in these games.
Goals for Nashville: 84
Goals against Nashville: 101

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
  #183
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500



OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:03 PM
  #184
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It has a LOT to do with Mike Smith.
It had a lot to do with Bryzgalov. Now it has a lot to do with Smith... As a Coyotes fan, no it doesn't. It has to do with the team in front of them

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  #185
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It had a lot to do with Bryzgalov. Now it has a lot to do with Smith... As a Coyotes fan, no it doesn't. It has to do with the team in front of them
Smith made two huge saves on Eberle in the second, one huge save on Hemsky in the first, and smothered a few dangerous cross crease/tight angle shots off of a petry rush. He also made two or three saves off Hall rushing in down the wing.
Team in front of him was nowhere to be found.
Only reason the yotes won yesterday was because smith outplayed dubnyk.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:13 PM
  #186
senorchang
Registered User
 
senorchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Smith made two huge saves on Eberle in the second, one huge save on Hemsky in the first, and smothered a few dangerous cross crease/tight angle shots off of a petry rush. He also made two or three saves off Hall rushing in down the wing.
Team in front of him was nowhere to be found.
Only reason the yotes won yesterday was because smith outplayed dubnyk.
Dubnyk was the only reason we were in this game. The reason we lost is because their system beat our "system".

Our coach is just... yeah.

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:25 PM
  #187
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Dubnyk was the only reason we were in this game. The reason we lost is because their system beat our "system".

Our coach is just... yeah.
Yep. If we could just snag Tippet and Maloney, we'd be in a lot better shape right now

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  #188
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Hah, Dubnyk kept them in the game. Right. The shots were 10-10 30 minutes into the game and we were down 2-0.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
  #189
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It had a lot to do with Bryzgalov. Now it has a lot to do with Smith... As a Coyotes fan, no it doesn't. It has to do with the team in front of them
I find that Smith's ability to play the puck really fits in nicely with their system.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
  #190
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hah, Dubnyk kept them in the game. Right. The shots were 10-10 30 minutes into the game and we were down 2-0.
The Oilers spent a lot of time in the offensive zone. Phoenix didn't look dangerous at all and both of those goals were against the run of play IMO.
They did do a good job of keeping the oilers to the outside but there were breakdowns, Smith came up big and was the difference maker.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
  #191
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Smith made two huge saves on Eberle in the second, one huge save on Hemsky in the first, and smothered a few dangerous cross crease/tight angle shots off of a petry rush. He also made two or three saves off Hall rushing in down the wing.
Team in front of him was nowhere to be found.
Only reason the yotes won yesterday was because smith outplayed dubnyk.
Post hoc analysis.

Phoenix was up 2-0 and didn't need to produce any more offense than they did. Soon as we closed the gap they were able to notch another goal. I'm sure Coyotes were capable of generating more offense if that was ever required in this game. Yotes also got a goal called back that we got a break on that was clearly a puck that wasn't coverd. Even Dubnyk thought it was a legit 3-0 goal. That was still the first period..

We really didn't even give Smith a lot of work. He was good, but kind of like Roli good when the team in front him are all doing their jobs and all he has to do is cover angles, not give up bad rebounds. Not like we had any room around the crease all day anyway.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
  #192
Rawg
CEM
 
Rawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Post hoc analysis.

Phoenix was up 2-0 and didn't need to produce any more offense than they did. Soon as we closed the gap they were able to notch another goal. I'm sure Coyotes were capable of generating more offense if that was ever required in this game. Yotes also got a goal called back that we got a break on that was clearly a puck that wasn't coverd. Even Dubnyk thought it was a legit 3-0 goal. That was still the first period..

We really didn't even give Smith a lot of work. He was good, but kind of like Roli good when the team in front him are all doing their jobs and all he has to do is cover angles, not give up bad rebounds. Not like we had any room around the crease all day anyway.
After the first phoenix went hardcore into their system which was 2 forwards forechecking and the third staying near the blueline (in the offensive zone) as a team like ours who generates chances off the rush its difficult to create chances and because there was always 3 back we had issues getting into the zone, But when we did we dominated them in the zone and it would essentially be 4 coyotes in the slot breaking up passes and 1 waiting to flick the puck out

Im having issues describing their system exactly but it seemed simply get the puck just past center and change after the 2 goal lead, They didn't have a quality chance at all in the 2nd or 3rd because they didnt need it, just sit on the lead,until the Doan goal which was just a snipe after our D was being aggressive for the equalizer, The reason talented teams win in the playoffs is because they have more time to study and expose the system because each has flaws, For example vs Detroit last year Phoenix lost because Detroit just played with the puck in their zone because they were that much skilled.

Smith made 1 or 2 quality saves but generally the forwards were already covered because of their forward collapse and us being stubborn with cross ice plays. That being said If we had buried a few of our chances and Dubnyk hadn't let in that soft goal.. As good as a move as whitney made around ryan whitney the shot was a fan and a 3 year old could have had it. I don't simply believe that mike Smith went from being a terrible AHL goalie who omark scored that SO goal on to being this amazing one of the best in the league in numbers goaltenders after 4 months in the offseason.


RNH/Hall/Hemsky looked ridiculously talented, like they knew they were all the best players on the ice and I felt that if we weren't playing phoenix that line would have had 2 or 3 goals, RNH looked particularly amazing and reminded me why I loved him. I did wince every time someone came near his shoulders though

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
  #193
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Post hoc analysis.

Phoenix was up 2-0 and didn't need to produce any more offense than they did. Soon as we closed the gap they were able to notch another goal. I'm sure Coyotes were capable of generating more offense if that was ever required in this game. Yotes also got a goal called back that we got a break on that was clearly a puck that wasn't coverd. Even Dubnyk thought it was a legit 3-0 goal. That was still the first period..

We really didn't even give Smith a lot of work. He was good, but kind of like Roli good when the team in front him are all doing their jobs and all he has to do is cover angles, not give up bad rebounds. Not like we had any room around the crease all day anyway.
In your opinion maybe, but that's garbage. The first half of the period was spent in phx's zone with them chipping it out off the glass and the oilers recovering in the NZ and bringing it right back in. I think Phx scored on their second or third shot, which was a lame duck from the point that deflected off Eberle - Dubnyk never even saw it.

As for the second point, not sure what game you were watching but Smith had to deal with Hemsky in all by himself. He stopped Eberle who had a one timer in the slot after Gagner fed him from behind the net. Petry threw the puck in from a sharp angle with Oiler forwards crashing the net on 2 or 3 chances that Smith swalled up. He made 3 big glove saves off of Hall rushing in from the wing (kind of like the shot Doan scored with...)
He was busier (and better) than Dubnyk

Also the only reason they scored the third goal was because the Oilers had to press to tie it up, which leads to Dmen pinching and that always creates odd man rushes the other way - which is how they scored that goal.

The yotes weren't very good, they didn't look dangerous at all except for once or twice, were gifted several PP's and if it wasn't for Smith they had no business being in that game.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
  #194
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In your opinion maybe, but that's garbage. The first half of the period was spent in phx's zone with them chipping it out off the glass and the oilers recovering in the NZ and bringing it right back in. I think Phx scored on their second or third shot, which was a lame duck from the point that deflected off Eberle - Dubnyk never even saw it.

As for the second point, not sure what game you were watching but Smith had to deal with Hemsky in all by himself. He stopped Eberle who had a one timer in the slot after Gagner fed him from behind the net. Petry threw the puck in from a sharp angle with Oiler forwards crashing the net on 2 or 3 chances that Smith swalled up. He made 3 big glove saves off of Hall rushing in from the wing (kind of like the shot Doan scored with...)
He was busier (and better) than Dubnyk

Also the only reason they scored the third goal was because the Oilers had to press to tie it up, which leads to Dmen pinching and that always creates odd man rushes the other way - which is how they scored that goal.

The yotes weren't very good, they didn't look dangerous at all except for once or twice, were gifted several PP's and if it wasn't for Smith they had no business being in that game.
lol Despite them being in control of the entire game. Note as well the Yotes beating us in all 3 contests this year. Lucky sobs.

Again you kind of missed the whole point. Being that the Yotes scored 3 goals in the first period, (but only credited with 2) they were able to play it tight the rest of the way without really having to search for any offence. Thats why your after the fact analysis is invalid.

In the game I watched we spent the vast majority of our puck possession trying to force plays through tight coverage. We generated some chances but nothing mind blowing that wasn't pretty routine for Smith to deal with. He was only required to make 20 saves. Not exactly a difficult day at the office. Aside from hemsky I thought a lot of our forwards struggled against the tight checking.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:54 AM
  #195
Gamefreak
Bee.
 
Gamefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
Here's Kerry Fraser's take on the game's officiating:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=388948

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
  #196
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol Despite them being in control of the entire game. Note as well the Yotes beating us in all 3 contests this year. Lucky sobs.

Again you kind of missed the whole point. Being that the Yotes scored 3 goals in the first period, (but only credited with 2) they were able to play it tight the rest of the way without really having to search for any offence. Thats why your after the fact analysis is invalid.

In the game I watched we spent the vast majority of our puck possession trying to force plays through tight coverage. We generated some chances but nothing mind blowing that wasn't pretty routine for Smith to deal with. He was only required to make 20 saves. Not exactly a difficult day at the office. Aside from hemsky I thought a lot of our forwards struggled against the tight checking.

Couldn't cycle the puck against our weak D. The one goal the managed to score off the cycle was called back because the ref blew the play dead - bad luck to them but its happened more than a few times to us, so I'll take it.
Scored 2 goals off the rush, one of them a 1 on 3.
Basically spent the majority of 3 periods chipping the puck to the NZ and changing. That's not being in control.

As per the games they beat us in AZ, I remember Dubnyk killing momentum with a weak goal against from a Langkow backhander, and OEL slapshot from a weak angle and far out that had no business going in.

Smith battled harder and out played our goalie.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
  #197
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Couldn't cycle the puck against our weak D. The one goal the managed to score off the cycle was called back because the ref blew the play dead - bad luck to them but its happened more than a few times to us, so I'll take it.
Scored 2 goals off the rush, one of them a 1 on 3.
Basically spent the majority of 3 periods chipping the puck to the NZ and changing. That's not being in control.
On the contrary a lot of what takes place in an NHL game on the ice is predicated on what the scoreboard reads above it. Which is how this game unfolded.

Were it not for quick Phoenix scoring and Dubnyk being underwhelming you could reasonably expect a more determined effort from the Coyotes for the rest of the game. They didn''t really have to do too much to beat us. But at no point did I think we were in control of this game or outcome.

In a different way, we're saying somewhat the same thing.

Was Smith better than Dubnyk? Absolutely.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
  #198
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Here's Kerry Fraser's take on the game's officiating:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=388948
That shows the Philly game.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.