HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tweet by Armstrong's brother (Riley Armstrong)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Earth Rocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
While earning millions of dollars and having millions of adoring fans? Pretty damn hard.
The Job I had paid me well, I couldn't care less for the money. I would rather make less and enjoy coming to work. Athletes are no different, they want respect as much as any of us.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
FireEverybody*

Would be better if his brother was not a "leader" on these team who seems to be as lost as the rest of them ...

Old
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
olivertwist*
joey crabb jr

colby armstrong is an awful hockey player and his brother is a crybaby

Old
02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer;44969231[B
]The Job I had paid me well, I couldn't care less for the money.[/B] I would rather make less and enjoy coming to work. Athletes are no different, they want respect as much as any of us.
Did you have 20 thousand people cheering you on?

Old
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
NHL players shouldn't need motivating.
Are NHL players suddenly not human. They may be extremely well paid but that does not change the fact that they are playing in an exceedingly high pressure situation every day of their lives. They may need motivation and support when the pressure really mounts on them more than most people do.

Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Gee Riley, we would love to trade Colby to a contender, maybe if you could have motivated your brother, some poor sucker would have took him already?

Old
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Colby's had a terrible year and his brother is probably a moron.

But, there's a trend here with Ronny and players not liking him.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
@rilesarmy

"a coach has to know how to motivate his players and you can tell the fire is gone. And then the ACC boos their team off the ice #change"
i would also like to add that this looks like it was written by a 4th grader

Last edited by bozaksniffles*: 02-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
02-26-2012, 01:03 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
i would also like to add this this looks like it was written by a 4th grader
Don't remember how this career AHLer played the game??

Old
02-26-2012, 01:03 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
From rest of his tweets that I read last night, he looks butt hurt that his bro was scratched so long. Either that, or he is trolling Twitter.
Or maybe just maybe -- he's right. I mean is this team not playing uninspired right now? Has Wilson not shown an ability to motivate his team? There's a lot of truth there. Obviously it isn't going to come from one of the players.

Sad thing is -- any sound hockey person can see this team needs a coaching change -- yet Burke is showing MORE loyalty to his friend than the organizations needs. For that Burke should be fired.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Or maybe just maybe -- he's right. I mean is this team not playing uninspired right now? Has Wilson not shown an ability to motivate his team? There's a lot of truth there. Obviously it isn't going to come from one of the players.

Sad thing is -- any sound hockey person can see this team needs a coaching change -- yet Burke is showing MORE loyalty to his friend than the organizations needs. For that Burke should be fired.
Any sound hockey person? In January, we went 7-4-1. That's an excellent record. And that happened less than a month ago.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer View Post
The Job I had paid me well, I couldn't care less for the money. I would rather make less and enjoy coming to work. Athletes are no different, they want respect as much as any of us.
can't agree more with this

but, and there's always a but

why doesn't LeafLand treat the players with a little respect. a lot of people harp on the fact that Wilson "throws the players under the bus".

What may I ask is it you Leafs fans do, always supportive, always kind and of course never mentioning anything about a player having an "off" night or less then stellar effort.

But the coach isn't allowed to do so right?

and one other thing I've probably been a fan of the team longer then most of you have been on the earth

Old
02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
can't agree more with this

but, and there's always a but

why doesn't LeafLand treat the players with a little respect. a lot of people harp on the fact that Wilson "throws the players under the bus".

What may I ask is it you Leafs fans do, always supportive, always kind and of course never mentioning anything about a player having an "off" night or less then stellar effort.

But the coach isn't allowed to do so right?

and one other thing I've probably been a fan of the team longer then most of you have been on the earth
Since Burke and Wilson have been together they have had a fortress mentality about anyone criticizing the players or organization. Just seems odd that now the coach has really started to throw guys under the bus not named Kadri.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Wilson clearly isn't a great mid-game motivator, but I don't think it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

The team looks nervous, and I'd say part of that is a result of the goaltending effort in the month of February. In January, they mostly oozed confidence, and you could feel it in their game (even in the ones where they squeezed out a win or lost)... and we had great goaltending.

It's tough to keep motivated, barring something in-game giving you a surge of hope, when your goaltender barely pushes off the post to counter a wrap-around, or, as has been the case an awful lot lately, lets in a goal almost every time there is a turnover (and hell, it seems damn near every wrister from the slot beats our goaltenders, but it sure as **** isn't the case the other way).

I would not be opposed to a coaching change, but I'm not confident that it will be the wonder solution to our problems... a systems change would be just as effective, but we might need a coaching change to get that.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:15 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Any sound hockey person? In January, we went 7-4-1. That's an excellent record. And that happened less than a month ago.
Wilson is set to become the 2nd, only the 2nd NHL coach EVER to miss the playoff 4 straight years and not be fired. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this team needs a change.

Glad you are satisfied with a record of 7-4-1 and have singled out that month as justification. Try looking at the bigger picture and not a tiny sampling that skews reality.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Glad you are satisfied with a record of 7-4-1 and have singled out that month as justification. Try looking at the bigger picture and not a tiny sampling that skews reality.
How big a picture? Just big enough to satisfy your agenda?

If we start really cherry-picking periods of time, the performance Oct-Jan was pretty solid. Jan-Jan was good, too.

Maybe we can just include the months where we went like .200, so you can say he's a career .200 coach with the Leafs.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Wilson clearly isn't a great mid-game motivator, but I don't think it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

The team looks nervous, and I'd say part of that is a result of the goaltending effort in the month of February. In January, they mostly oozed confidence, and you could feel it in their game (even in the ones where they squeezed out a win or lost)... and we had great goaltending.

It's tough to keep motivated, barring something in-game giving you a surge of hope, when your goaltender barely pushes off the post to counter a wrap-around, or, as has been the case an awful lot lately, lets in a goal almost every time there is a turnover (and hell, it seems damn near every wrister from the slot beats our goaltenders, but it sure as **** isn't the case the other way).

I would not be opposed to a coaching change, but I'm not confident that it will be the wonder solution to our problems... a systems change would be just as effective, but we might need a coaching change to get that.
Missing the playoffs year after year ISN'T an issue? Really? Especially when MORE than 50% of the leagues teams make it every season. When teams with FAR fewer resources. Since WHEN isn't a coach responsible for his teams performance?

Your logic is seriously flawed. Losing is NOT acceptable in the world of professional sports. When a team loses repeatedly -- like the Leafs -- changes ARE made.

Burke is giving Leaf nation a big slap in the face here showing more loyalty to his friends than winning.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Erdinger

Quote:

If we start really cherry-picking periods of time, the performance Oct-Jan was pretty solid. Jan-Jan was good, too.

Maybe we can just include the months where we went like .200, so you can say he's a career .200 coach with the Leafs.
December was pretty awful IIRC. January was the easiest part of their schedule. They were supposed to make hay then. Even then you could see the cracks. The PK suddenly becoming good and Gus being solid masked a terrible PP and some really sloppy play.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:25 PM
birddog*

Quote:

How bout we look at his OVERALL record????? Do I need to explain it to you?

For some missing the playoffs year after year after year is totally acceptable. Glad you think it's ok and are satisfied with that 3 game win streak in January.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Wilson is set to become the 2nd, only the 2nd NHL coach EVER to miss the playoff 4 straight years and not be fired. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this team needs a change.

The bigger picture is that this team is almost in a playoff spot with less than two months remaining in the season. This recent losing streak is a tiny sampling that skews reality, not the bigger picture.

Also, I wonder how effective firing all those coaches was in florida for the past ten years?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
showtime8

If Riley has ever seen a Montreal Canadiens game, then he would know that people that pay money to see a team play, like to feel into the game.

If the team isn't playing well, why cheer for them?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
birddog*

Quote:
The bigger picture is that this team is almost in a playoff spot with less than two months remaining in the season. This recent losing streak is a tiny sampling that skews reality, not the bigger picture.

Also, I wonder how effective firing all those coaches was in florida for the past ten years?
St. Louis fired there coach -- worked out pretty good. Anaheim -- not to shaby. But hey is continually missing the playoffs garners your unconditional support I'm glad. Don't expect me to join your club.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:

This is the only season where he had a roster good enough to compete for playoffs.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:30 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
St. Louis fired there coach -- worked out pretty good. Anaheim -- not to shaby. But hey is continually missing the playoffs garners your unconditional support I'm glad. Don't expect me to join your club.
good job cherry picking examples?

what about montreal? washington?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
birddog*

Quote:

When the hell does ALMOST count? Vancouver ALMOST won the cup last year -- they had a riot in celebration.

Closed Thread