HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boclair: Confirmed--Preds in the Nash sweeps

Old
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
And the salary cap for next year assuming Suter and Weber sign 7M each?
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($3.500m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.712m) / Craig Smith ($0.715m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.450m)
Gabriel Bourque ($0.618m) / Chris Mueller ($0.650m) / Nick Spaling ($1.050m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Roman Josi ($1.000m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)
Jack Hillen ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m) / Jeremy Smith ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,570,832; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $729,168

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:17 PM
skydog71

If he only has 5 teams on his "approved" list, does that mean that Columbus is #1 out of the remaining 25? I have a hard time believing that he would rather play with a rebuilding Blue Jackets team than a contender like Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Pitt, etc. I know most of those teams probably aren't calling, but you'd have to think they are more appealing than Columbus, at least at this point in Nash's career.

I think this is definitely the right move if Nashville can land him. We've got Suter and Weber who both refuse to sign a long term contract. If they both walk, we'll have tons of cap space and nobody to spend it on. If we land Nash, maybe we don't have enough money to sign both... but there was never a guarantee that we were going to get both anyway. Might as well spend that money on Nash than overspend on some free agent in the offseason.

skydog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,570,832; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $729,168
Well, if our ownership group is serious about being a cap team, that could work. otherwise, we're in serious trouble.

Did you factor in a rising cap?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

A lot of teams can't take on the cap hit without shedding a lot of salary. Capgeek has a useful table showing how much salary a team can take on. Even after shedding Wolski's contract, the Rangers can't take on much more than just Nash for this season and they already have over $48mil committed for next season with just 15 contracts.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Well, if our ownership group is serious about being a cap team, that could work. otherwise, we're in serious trouble.

No he didn't ..... 64.3mil listed in the example.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
That should help. The cap rose 4ish million last year? I think....

So if that continues, we have 4 million of space. With the new CBA, its tough to tell, but ratings are up, attendance league wide is up...so it should continue to rise.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
And if it does rise by a couple of million dollars, which is not exactly unreasonable, it gives a pretty substantial cushion (and gives room for the return of Radulov if he wants to play a full season on his last ELC year)

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
And if it does rise by a couple of million dollars, which is not exactly unreasonable, it gives a pretty substantial cushion (and gives room for the return of Radulov if he wants to play a full season on his last ELC year)
Our forward line-up with Rads and Nash =

Old
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Firestorm

We can't expect the cap to keep going up. The analogy I'm making is to one of the American housing market before the crash. People thought it would just keep going up and up and up. While the bust won't happen, I think it's a bit dangerous to think that the cap will always go up. If the cap goes higher, then it's the bottom teams that suffer because they have to keep spending on average players to meet the salary floor (and lose money as a result).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

NHL.com:

NASHVILLE: Here's an interesting take on the Rick Nash sweepstakes.

David Boclair of the Nashville City Paper says several sources have confirmed that Nashville has entered into the dialogue about prying Nash, an elite power forward and the biggest name on the market, away from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Boclair admits that Nashville may not be the favorite in the sweepstakes, which includes the New York Rangers, the Toronto Maple Leafs and San Jose Sharks -- the team Nashville beat Saturday night -- at the forefront.

But, past history, says Boclair, suggests that David Poile is not afraid to make a big deal and surrender some major assets in the process. Peter Forsberg anyone?

"The Predators have made an offer of their own for the 27-year-old power forward, multiple sources have confirmed," Boclair wrote for Sunday's edition. "While it seems unlikely the Blue Jackets would want to deal their best player to a division opponent that regularly whips up on them, the attempt to get Nash speaks to Poile's attempts to satisfy his top players' desire for more elite talent and to strengthen the team's chances to make a significant playoff run.

"Reports on Saturday indicated that Columbus' asking price for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft who is signed through the 2017-18 season is understandably high as Monday afternoon's trade deadline approaches.

"The most Nashville has given up at one time was two young first-round draft picks, Scottie Upshall and Ryan Parent, as well as a future first and a third-round pick for Peter Forsberg, a rental player late in 2006-07. Using that deal as a template, Nashville's offer for Nash could include the likes of Colin Wilson (Nash would take his spot in the lineup), Ryan Ellis or Jonathon Blum and multiple other picks and/or prospects."

If Boclair's contentions are on the mark, that certainly throws a wrinkle into the Nash sweepstakes.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Just for fun:

Nash - Fisher - Kostitsyn
Radulov - Legwand - Bourque
Erat - Smith - Spaling
Halischuk - Mueller - Tootoo

Suter - Weber
Klein - Josi
Blum - ?

Rinne

Get a vet on the bottom pairing and win a Cup

All we'd need is another PMD to pair with Klein

Old
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
We can't expect the cap to keep going up. The analogy I'm making is to one of the American housing market before the crash. People thought it would just keep going up and up and up. While the bust won't happen, I think it's a bit dangerous to think that the cap will always go up. If the cap goes higher, then it's the bottom teams that suffer because they have to keep spending on average players to meet the salary floor (and lose money as a result).
While I agree, we'd hardly be alone in agony if that happened. Players are starting to get crazy deals. Hemsky at 5 million? Ruutu at 4.5? I think everyone is expecting it to go up.

I agree we can't count on it, but if the salaries of players stay on this pace and the cap doesn't go up, things are gonna get ugly fast. Don't count on it, but it is a good possibility.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 02-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
maplepred

Exactly 24 hours until deadline in fifteen minutes!!!! I bet the Nash party is pretty antsy right now...

Do we decide to go play for Nashville or sit around and waste time in Columbus rest of season??

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Just for fun:

Nash - Fisher - Kostitsyn
Radulov - Legwand - Bourque
Erat - Smith - Spaling
Halischuk - Mueller - Tootoo

Suter - Weber
Klein - Josi
Blum - ?

Rinne

Get a vet on the bottom pairing and win a Cup

All we'd need is another PMD to pair with Klein
Can we re-sign Gill to pair with Blum? Or to pair with Josi and move Klein down?

Old
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
NHL.com:

NASHVILLE: Here's an interesting take on the Rick Nash sweepstakes.

David Boclair of the Nashville City Paper says several sources have confirmed that Nashville has entered into the dialogue about prying Nash, an elite power forward and the biggest name on the market, away from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Boclair admits that Nashville may not be the favorite in the sweepstakes, which includes the New York Rangers, the Toronto Maple Leafs and San Jose Sharks -- the team Nashville beat Saturday night -- at the forefront.

But, past history, says Boclair, suggests that David Poile is not afraid to make a big deal and surrender some major assets in the process. Peter Forsberg anyone?

"The Predators have made an offer of their own for the 27-year-old power forward, multiple sources have confirmed," Boclair wrote for Sunday's edition. "While it seems unlikely the Blue Jackets would want to deal their best player to a division opponent that regularly whips up on them, the attempt to get Nash speaks to Poile's attempts to satisfy his top players' desire for more elite talent and to strengthen the team's chances to make a significant playoff run.

"Reports on Saturday indicated that Columbus' asking price for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft who is signed through the 2017-18 season is understandably high as Monday afternoon's trade deadline approaches.

"The most Nashville has given up at one time was two young first-round draft picks, Scottie Upshall and Ryan Parent, as well as a future first and a third-round pick for Peter Forsberg, a rental player late in 2006-07. Using that deal as a template, Nashville's offer for Nash could include the likes of Colin Wilson (Nash would take his spot in the lineup), Ryan Ellis or Jonathon Blum and multiple other picks and/or prospects."

If Boclair's contentions are on the mark, that certainly throws a wrinkle into the Nash sweepstakes.
Interesting. If that is the case, I would give up Blum over Ellis. I like Ellis better. Don't want to give up Colin Wilson because I like him alot too but if that means getting Nash in return, I would be okay w/ it.

Last edited by klt2001: 02-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Big Foot

Hope this happens for you guys (disclosure: I'm a Canucks fan). If there is one team that can afford to be top-heavy, I would say it's the Preds. Trotz is a great coach who seems to be able to get the most out of cheap players. Factor in that Nashville doesn't spend to the cap anyways, and it seems to be a good fit for Nash's contract.

Man, imagine if Radulov comes back, and Suter + Weber resign long term? Preds will be a contender for years.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
The difference is the housing market crash happened because people who didn't have money were given mortgages they could not afford. The cap rises because the league's revenue rises. In the new CBA the percentage that the cap rises in relation to league revenue growth should be reduced, but I don't expect a crash.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

No, and I did not factor in Radulov

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Can we re-sign Gill to pair with Blum? Or to pair with Josi and move Klein down?
I don't think we would have the money unless Gill takes a pretty sizable pay decrease (he is old so it might happen). Still need $$$ for injury call ups.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Soundgarden

As much as I would hate to give up Wilson and Ellis, you'd have to at least try to get a deal like this done. If we can keep both Weber/Suter and one of Wilson/Smith Josi/Ellis we'd win this trade hands down. Our window for a cup would be expanded by quite a few years if a trade like this were to happen. I don't expect it to happen though.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
While I agree, we'd hardly be aone in agony if that happened. Players are starting to get crazy deals. Hemsky at 5 million? Ruutu at 4.5? I think everyone is expecting it to go up.

I agree we can't count on it, but if the salaries of players stay on this pace and the cap doesn't go up, things are gonna get ugly fast. Don't count on it, but it is a good possibility.
An issue that I think could be magnified with the acquisition of Nash. Not that I'm against him by any means, but it certainly sets a new bar in terms of salary for our pending UFAs. Could jump up to the cap ceiling very very quickly.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I don't think we would have the money unless Gill takes a pretty sizable pay decrease (he is old so it might happen). Still need $$$ for injury call ups.
Alright. I figured it'd be tight. I mean, we're almost at the current cap with the team + Nash and Suter. Add in Rads, and we're basically dead on there. That means we have however much the cap rises to sign that 3rd pairing D man and a backup goalie (or just call Smith up). If the cap rises 4 or 5 million, it could be possible. I'd love to have him back, we'll just have to see how much he wants and if he likes it here.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

BTW if Rads comes back we have to trade Hornqvist. Erat has a NMC, and I'd rather keep him anyway.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
The Big Foot

Further to my post...

Why the hell wouldn't Nashville be a place Nash would want to go to? By all accounts players love playing there, and the fan support is good. You'd think it would be easier to talk him into going there than most places. It's a pretty cool city by the sounds of it.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Further to my post...

Why the hell wouldn't Nashville be a place Nash would want to go to? By all accounts players love playing there, and the fan support is good. You'd think it would be easier to talk him into going there than most places. It's a pretty cool city by the sounds of it.
My thoughts exactly. The Preds are a good team and have a great chance to go into the playoffs unless they just screw up between now and the end of the season and could go far into the playoffs. I would think more elite players would want to come here because they wouldn't have to share the limelight w/ other elite players if they were on another elite team on top of the fact that Preds give these elite teams a run for their money as they are a hard team to play against. Add an elite player or two and the Preds would be a very hard team to beat imo. Guess the Preds just aren't as appealing to the likes of Detroit, NY Rangers, Boston, Vancouver, Philadelphia, etc though w/ their superstars and media attention/hockey market. Personally, except for Detroit, NY, and maybe Boston, I would take the Preds over alot of the other elite teams.

Last edited by klt2001: 02-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote