HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Brad Ross

Old
06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Steve Ott type player like others have mentioned. I'm really hoping the Montreal Canadiens take this guy. I'd be one happy camper.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Brad ross = Steve Ott

worth a look in the second round

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
worth a look in the second round

He'd be more valuable if he was a center like Ott, but he isn't...

cheesymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc View Post
He'd be more valuable if he was a center like Ott, but he isn't...
Ott being a center is news to me.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

He's a real ***** to play against.

(1:07 of first video)

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Interactif

Skip to 48 secs, the kid has good hands also

Was ranked at 35 by Mckenzie, Leafs traded for the 43 rd pick just to get him.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:00 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

I wonder if all the good things said about him above have changed now that he's a leaf

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Ross-Ryan-Biggs has me drooling.....

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:40 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I'm sure other teams would hate to play against that line in the next few years.

Still a couple years away from seeing them in the nhl if they ever happen to make it.

I'm pretty sure now since Ross is a Leaf now though that previous comparisons well be waived off now, according to hf boards mentality.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:53 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Was ranked at 35 by Mckenzie, Leafs traded for the 43 rd pick just to get him.
McKegg's goal at 2:00 was pretty nice too.

Anyways, I'm fairly optimistic that Ross can become an effective 3rd line agitator in the NHL one day, seems to have that mix of physicality, hustle, nastiness and decent skill level that you need for the role. Still a bit skinny though, he's gonna have to continue to bulk up to be a big hitter/agitator in the NHL. He'll spend 11/12 in the dub, then if I had to guess I'd expect him to split 12/13 between the AHL and NHL before potentially making the Leafs full time in 13/14 (assuming his development goes well).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:02 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
I'd love it if that's a future third line for the Leafs, any NHL team relying on Kenny Ryan for anything significant is in trouble. Ross and Biggs on the other hand, do look like pretty good future third liners.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:16 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
I'm pretty sure now since Ross is a Leaf now though that previous comparisons well be waived off now, according to hf boards mentality.
Nah, Leafs are great a drafting grinders(second tier forwards). Haven't drafted an elite forward in a while.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
And if Biggs can play in top 6, or armstrong stays on that line it works incredibly too.

Well, TBH there are a ton of 3rd line prospects for the Leafs LOL.

D'amigo
Ross
Mueller
Ryan
Devane
Broll
Biggs

Im sure it'll work out

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Nah, Leafs are great a drafting grinders(second tier forwards). Haven't drafted an elite forward in a while.
the first two rounds of the draft should be used to select a player who could play on the top two lines or top 4 defensemen. Not some one that may play on third or fourth lines. Those players should be pickup after the second round.

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
the first two rounds of the draft should be used to select a player who could play on the top two lines or top 4 defensemen. Not some one that may play on third or fourth lines. Those players should be pickup after the second round.
Brian Burke seems to be not afraid to draft crasher/banger/grinder types who project to play on the bottom two lines in the earlier rounds. Since his arrival, Burke has drafted a total of 4 forwards in the first two rounds.

2008 - Nazem Kadri projects to play on the first/second line.

2008 - Kenny Ryan at the time was chosen to play a 3rd line role due to his size, strength on the boards, strong defensive play and good offensive abilities portrayed with the USDP. However, since coming to the OHL, his offensive abilities have not really translated, finishing 10th and 5th on the Spitfires in scoring as an 18 and 19 year old. At this point, I think it will be an uphill battle for the winger to make the NHL as more than a 4th line player who can play penalty killing shifts.

2010 - Brad Ross was projected to be a third line player who combined grit with some offensive ability. I still see him in this light, playing a similar role to a Steve Ott or Colby Armstrong. I was a large fan of this selection.

2011 - Tyler Biggs is still unknown to be. He was projected to have complimentary top six upside, with 3rd line downside. If he is the latter, 3 of 4 picks will be somewhat bottom six oriented.

Since this thread is about Ross, I am still a fan of the selection. I am interested to see his production next year, with Johansen and Niederreiter possibly both gone. Hopefully Ross along with Bartschi and Rattie take up the offensive side, and I am also hoping Ross can begin to produce as well in the playoffs as he did in the regular season. His linemates in the playoffs this year were scoring at about 1.3 points per game while Ross was under half a point per game.

Since this thread is from quite a while back, I suppose the question would be has anything really changed of his status since before his draft? I would say likely not and he still projects the same way as before his draft year.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I'd love it if that's a future third line for the Leafs, any NHL team relying on Kenny Ryan for anything significant is in trouble. Ross and Biggs on the other hand, do look like pretty good future third liners.
I agree with you about Ryan, I'm not sold on him yet.

Biggs on the other hand, I can see on the top 2 lines in the future. I think what most scouts are saying is he is at worst a 3rd line winger with upside. Though points are important in gauging a prospect, what a player brings in intangibles is just as important.

This is what Kirk Luedeke wrote about him prior to the draft.
Quote:
Biggs is a good skater, but his real value lies in his physical game and powerful shot. He's a momentum changer when he's banging bodies and making room for his linemates. He's shown a penchant to play with the kind of aggression and nastiness that NHL teams love.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Leafs are drafting character guys, from where they were drafting I don't see an elite fwd at #22, heck I don't see a slamdunk elite fwd this enitre whole draft.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
McKegg's goal at 2:00 was pretty nice too.

Anyways, I'm fairly optimistic that Ross can become an effective 3rd line agitator in the NHL one day, seems to have that mix of physicality, hustle, nastiness and decent skill level that you need for the role. Still a bit skinny though, he's gonna have to continue to bulk up to be a big hitter/agitator in the NHL. He'll spend 11/12 in the dub, then if I had to guess I'd expect him to split 12/13 between the AHL and NHL before potentially making the Leafs full time in 13/14 (assuming his development goes well).
Whoever said Ross is a Tucker type prospect nailed it, but in fairness to him Tucker was actually a very good scorer in junior, maybe he is closer to a Matt Cooke which should endear him to no one around the league with exception of Leafs fans. He looks like the perfect 3rd line disturber type that will chip in with a goal, the goal at 48 secs in the video shows he has the hands to be a NHL'er. He was suspended for a questionable hit last year from the playoffs and it hurt Portland's big Nino-Johansen-Ross line.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I agree with you about Ryan, I'm not sold on him yet.

Biggs on the other hand, I can see on the top 2 lines in the future. I think what most scouts are saying is he is at worst a 3rd line winger with upside. Though points are important in gauging a prospect, what a player brings in intangibles is just as important.

This is what Kirk Luedeke wrote about him prior to the draft.
Biggs' and Ross are so full of truculence that it makes Brian Burke blush. It makes him hot around the collar...that's why his tie is never done up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

Quote:
Kenny is going to be more of a 4th line guy. Look for him to take Browns spot on the 4th line in a couple years, with Devane. The Leafs have the potential for a very nice, complete, homegrown bottom 6

Ross - ? - Biggs
Broll - Ryan - Devane

Ideally though, would love to see Biggs develope into a top 6 winger...but I am sure he will start on the 3rd line.

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
Kenny is going to be more of a 4th line guy. Look for him to take Browns spot on the 4th line in a couple years, with Devane. The Leafs have the potential for a very nice, complete, homegrown bottom 6

Ross - ? - Biggs
Broll - Ryan - Devane

Ideally though, would love to see Biggs develope into a top 6 winger...but I am sure he will start on the 3rd line.
yea most likely.... Nicholls or McKegg could possbly take that spot, or Colborne may end up playing 3rd line.

lots of options

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:37 PM
KlattNazty

Good season for him so far....

Renegade Styling, wouldnt mind hearing your input on his season.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Twist and Shout

He's one prospect I can't get a handle on from limited viewings. His numbers seem quite good, but how has he played? What are reasonable projections?

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
PresidentCamacho*

He's probably a Ruutu. The Jarkko one.

He's had the pleasure of playing with some very talented junior players, so far.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Schenn View Post
He's one prospect I can't get a handle on from limited viewings. His numbers seem quite good, but how has he played? What are reasonable projections?
Realistically he`s probably going to be a third line player that can fill in on the second line. Personally, I think hes going to be a sure-fire NHLer one day because of his ability to be used in almost any role. He has the upside of a Steve Ott or Matt Cooke type of player.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote