HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline Day

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
What is your guys opinion on trying to get Bernier? And what would you want the Oilers to give up?
Personally I wouldn't want to really give up anybody young with potential currently on the Oilers roster.

The worry with Bernier and every young unproven goalie is that it is a massive risk to try to throw him into a starter role and hope he thrives..

@treensoil on twitter (i know, not a good source) mentioned that it could be something centred around Omark + 2nd for Bernier.

Would you do this? Do you think LA would do this? I like the idea of centring a trade around Omark for him.
that would be great for us, but i dont think its close at all from la's perspective.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:10 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Even if Petry has passed Gilbert on the depth chart (which I disagree with, at least not at this point), why on earth would that make Gilbert the odd man out? Last time I checked, a hockey team ices 6 defensemen (sometimes 7) for every game. Especially at RD, where are depth chart is Gilbert and Petry, then Potter, Teubert, Plante. Take away Gilbert and it's an absolute trainwreck.

I hadn't heard that Gilbert is staying behind, but if he is, I'd hope that it's because of injury and not a trade.
I agree with you, if the Oilers were to trade for anything but a capable Dman coming back. I can't help but look at L.A. If Gilbert went to L.A. Bernier would be coming back along with maybe Martinez along with him. Just thinking out loud here

Old
02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
Does anyone know if Gilbert is injured? He is staying behind on the road trip for some reason.

What is interesting is that last week Stauffer was saying that he thinks Petry has passed Gilbert on the depth chart and that Gilbert is the odd man out. The thing with Stauffer is that he seems to sometimes speak cryptically in the sense that he says things that appear to be of his opinion, but later come about to be true; as if he is alluding to something going on that he knows about, but covering it as his opinion.

Just interesting to speculate, and if Gilbert is hurt then this is all for not.
Interesting news, thanks.

Given the two options, I hope he's hurt with something minor. Even with how well Petry has been playing, I don't think we are in a position to be trading Gilbert. Unless he's a required part in a deal with a crazy return, I suppose.

Edit: And I too am not super into Bernier. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can be a legit starter and should cost us a top 4 D to acquire.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
BowDangles

Gilbert is hurt, back problems from last game. As per twitter.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Don't understand the love that Clitsome is getting from some people. Oilers have 4 bottom paying on the roster already.

Sutton, Potter, Barker and Peckam are battlin it out for the 5-6 spot.

Oilers just signed Potter and Sutton. Oilers have a plethra of D-men in the system that will get cups off coffee with the team next year

Teubert will get a long look next season. Musil may get a brief look a few times, but spend most of the year of the farm, Martin Marincin could get a 9 game look next year. Plante could get a long look during the last ten days of this season to decide of it is time to cut ties with him.

If the oilers make a move on D--it is two add a guy who can play top 4 minutes--oilers have too many guys who can play the 5-6 role as is

Old
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
not happy he is hurt, just would have made no sense to deal away one of our only 2 top 4 dmen.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Interesting news, thanks.

Given the two options, I hope he's hurt with something minor. Even with how well Petry has been playing, I don't think we are in a position to be trading Gilbert. Unless he's a required part in a deal with a crazy return, I suppose.

Edit: And I too am not super into Bernier. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can be a legit starter and should cost us a top 4 D to acquire.
I hear ya, but as a goalie coach (not saying this to be pretentious please don't take it this way) I am very much into Bernier. I have been following him since his days in the Q and I have a feeling he turns into a really good starter one day. At any rate, I think he would be number one on this team and going forward as soon as he put the Jersey on. I think he has been sold short and given the choice, I take him over Schneider all day, but maybe that's just me.

What I find strange though, is that Khabi has been offered to other teams, but there is no way we go forward with Danis and Dubnyk. There has to be something else there, at least I think so anyways.

edit: just saw that Gilbert is injured, thanks for the update.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Quote:
Our boy RKD with the scoop.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/newsindex...y&view=summary

"I don't know what it is exactly, but he's got a bad back," Renney explained. "It's one of those things where I think if we travel with him, it might lock up even more. We'll let him stay here, do some rehab and get some treatment. I think he'll be good sooner rather than later, but we're taking our time with it."

Old
02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Don't understand the love that Clitsome is getting from some people. Oilers have 4 bottom paying on the roster already.

Sutton, Potter, Barker and Peckam are battlin it out for the 5-6 spot.

Oilers just signed Potter and Sutton. Oilers have a plethra of D-men in the system that will get cups off coffee with the team next year

Teubert will get a long look next season. Musil may get a brief look a few times, but spend most of the year of the farm, Martin Marincin could get a 9 game look next year. Plante could get a long look during the last ten days of this season to decide of it is time to cut ties with him.

If the oilers make a move on D--it is two add a guy who can play top 4 minutes--oilers have too many guys who can play the 5-6 role as is
Musil will be back in the WHL next season. HE is too young to play in the AHL. The import rules do not apply because he was drafted out of the WHL.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
I'm really starting to wonder if Whitney fits in our long-term plans? Between the emergence of Smid, Gilbert, and Petry, his injury concerns and his bad play, I believe it to be in question. Especially if we go out and get a dman on July 1 like Wideman.

Gilbert-Wideman
Smid-Petry
Whitney-Sutton

Is that what you guys would roll? The emergence of Gilbert's defensive game really allows us to pair him (or Smid) with an aggressive offensive guy like Wideman, which is a nice bonus. I guess next year, it will still be nice to have Whitney incase Petry falters, but I could see Petry being groomed to be Whitney's replacement and the Oilers dealing Whitney next year or letting him walk as a UFA.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Musil will be back in the WHL next season. HE is too young to play in the AHL. The import rules do not apply because he was drafted out of the WHL.
dont you only have to play 1 post draft season? then you have the option to stay or go?

like martindale/pitlick/hamilton

Old
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
so you would say dubnyk > bernier?

bernier is the superior goalie, the only reason he isnt a starter is because of Jquick
No, I won't say Dubnyk > Bernier. I am not sure who will have a better career. Bernier is way more athletic than Dubnyk but has less size.

And size is not all that matters with a goalie. Tim Thomas is 5"11 and he's won the cup, Conn Smythe & Vezina.

I am just saying Bishop is going to be less expensive to acquire (Bernier will cost more than a 2nd), easier to acquire (Lombardi is weary dealing with Tambellini), more mature (Age 25 vs 23), and if all things being equal, has a size advantage.

You can always get Bishop and also go get Bernier if Lombardi is still willing to deal with us. I cannot disagree that if you think Bernier is the best of the 3 goalies between him, Dubnyk & Bishop. It's subjective. I frankly can't tell at this point myself.

One thing i do know is, there is only one goalie in the Top 10 in Wins & Saves % that is under 6"1 in the league this season so far. That's Tim Thomas. The trend with goalie in the NHL is everyone wants a big goalie, someone that's at least 6"1 and up. So Bernier does have a bit of a size disadvantage.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
I'm really starting to wonder if Whitney fits in our long-term plans? Between the emergence of Smid, Gilbert, and Petry, his injury concerns and his bad play, I believe it to be in question. Especially if we go out and get a dman on July 1 like Wideman.

Gilbert-Wideman
Smid-Petry
Whitney-Sutton

Is that what you guys would roll? The emergence of Gilbert's defensive game really allows us to pair him (or Smid) with an aggressive offensive guy like Wideman, which is a nice bonus. I guess next year, it will still be nice to have Whitney incase Petry falters, but I could see Petry being groomed to be Whitney's replacement and the Oilers dealing Whitney next year or letting him walk as a UFA.
No offense but I almost threw up at a Gilbert - Wideman top-pairing.

Wideman is a good offensive top-4 defenseman who isn't too great defensively and isn't overly physical. Basically Gilbert in his "Tammy" days (God, that was a bad nickname).

If we signed Wideman it would almost surely go:

Whitney - Petry
Smid - Gilbert
Wideman - Sutton/Peckham/Teubert

I switched Petry and Gilbert, b/c from what I remember Petry and Whitney work better together than Gilbert and Whitney do.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
dont you only have to play 1 post draft season? then you have the option to stay or go?

like martindale/pitlick/hamilton
Those three have late birthdays.

Only CHLers with a '92 birthday from the '11 draft would be eligible next season.

Musil is a '93.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:40 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

Sorry I thought he was a September 1992 baby and not a April 93 baby.

If he was a sept 92 baby the oilers could have the option of the AHL

But the rest of my arguement is valid--Oilers have about 15 d-men spread out in different leagues who might get a look. And as I said with Plante--at some time a decision needs to be made.

Oilers have 4 players who play bottom 6 minutes on the team already--why add a 5th--when the clock is ticking on Teubertm Plante, Chorney and a guy like Kril Tuporov

Old
02-26-2012, 03:41 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
No offense but I almost threw up at a Gilbert - Wideman top-pairing.

Wideman is a good offensive top-4 defenseman who isn't too great defensively and isn't overly physical. Basically Gilbert in his "Tammy" days (God, that was a bad nickname).

If we signed Wideman it would almost surely go:

Whitney - Petry
Smid - Gilbert
Wideman - Sutton/Peckham/Teubert

I switched Petry and Gilbert, b/c from what I remember Petry and Whitney work better together than Gilbert and Whitney do.
Except the Gilbert of old never put up the points Wideman has and is putting up. Actually thinking about it now, he would be almost perfect with Smid. I don't think Whitney's play is making a case for him to be playing over any of those 4 (Wideman, Petry, Gilbert or Smid), but we shall see if he can regain his form next year, if not, I'm not sure how long he will be an Oiler.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tomorrow is going to be relatively uneventful and I'm going to lol at the talking heads on TSN and Sportsnet. Good luck filling 8 hours of programming guys.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

According to dredger Leafs talking to Edmonton today about Khabbi don't know if this has been posted

Old
02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Nooooooooo!!! Khabbie was so looking forward to playing against Winnipeg tomorow. :p

Old
02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
According to dredger Leafs talking to Edmonton today about Khabbi don't know if this has been posted
it was posted on Friday and denied by the leafs

Old
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Tomorrow is going to be relatively uneventful and I'm going to lol at the talking heads on TSN and Sportsnet. Good luck filling 8 hours of programming guys.
The suits at TSN need to get together with the suits at Hallmark to get some lessons on how to manufacture an imaginary holiday.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Anyone think a Nash deal will get done? It seems like that potential trade is the only reason to tune into TSN tomorrow

Old
02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
it was posted on Friday and denied by the leafs
It was updated 5 min ago at hockey buzz who knows how legit thoughhttp://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=95942&page=last http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...5942&page=last I see its just a forum my bad

Old
02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Even if Petry has passed Gilbert on the depth chart (which I disagree with, at least not at this point), why on earth would that make Gilbert the odd man out? Last time I checked, a hockey team ices 6 defensemen (sometimes 7) for every game. Especially at RD, where are depth chart is Gilbert and Petry, then Potter, Teubert, Plante. Take away Gilbert and it's an absolute trainwreck.

I hadn't heard that Gilbert is staying behind, but if he is, I'd hope that it's because of injury and not a trade.
He is staying behind because of back issues.

02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If Burke can not do a trade there were no trades to get done. Burke always does atleast one trade during this time of the season.

Also---a certain wannabe insider named icarderated bob is syaing the Nash to NY deal is done

Closed Thread