HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Binghamton Senators Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Canuckman44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I'm wondering if Benoit comes back to the AHL & hopefully Bingo since they could use the defensive help next season. I expect that Wiercioch & Gryba will start next season in Bingo & maybe Boro. My guess is that Locke, Parrish, Lessard, Conboy & Schira won't be re-signed. I also think that O'Brien, Hoffman & Boro have the best shot at playing in Ottawa next season except there won't be that much room on Ottawa's roster especially if Silfverberg & Zibanejad make the team as most expect & if Murray adds a UFA this summer.

I assume that Da Costa replaces Locke as the #1 centre in Bingo, with the addition of Turris in Ottawa Da Costa would now be considered a callup. There are going to be a lot of decisions to make on numerous players in Bingo & in Ottawa for next season. I expect Stone, Prince, Pageau, Kramer, Culek, Blood & Wideman to all be part of Bingo's team for next season with a couple likely spending time in Elmira.
I can't see Wiercioch or Gryba here next year. I see PW packaged up in a deal. His offensive prowess is seriously outweighed by his defensive weakness. I see EG going somewhere else unless forced back by the right to match other teams offers. He is a solid player stay at home guy who doesn't seem to fit into this big teams plans. I'm sure he doesn't want to be buried in the AHL. Boro is solid but not any more solid than EG so I suspect that he would get some decent offers somewhere.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:12 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Joy Lindsay ‏
PSBJoyOnTheSens

In case there was any doubt at all, Robin Lehner not on the ice for #BSens morning skate, and Brian Stewart up from Elmira. #Sens.

Via Joy.....

Old
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
sens83

Pick up Nittimaki, send him back down to Binghamton if you don't want him.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeA View Post
Joy Lindsay ‏
PSBJoyOnTheSens

In case there was any doubt at all, Robin Lehner not on the ice for #BSens morning skate, and Brian Stewart up from Elmira. #Sens.

Via Joy.....
I know you all think I'm a Lehner basher but please hear me out - McKenna has been the better goalie and he's on a two-way. Why would he not get the call? I mean if Lehner doesn't play well, and I'm seriously hoping he DOES play well and I'll support him, is this really the time of year to put your hopes in this kid?

Old
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I know you all think I'm a Lehner basher but please hear me out - McKenna has been the better goalie and he's on a two-way. Why would he not get the call? I mean if Lehner doesn't play well, and I'm seriously hoping he DOES play well and I'll support him, is this really the time of year to put your hopes in this kid?
Absolutely. Perfect time actually.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
It's almost entirely based on last year's playoff performance, I'm sure. He's earned a look by picking up the playoff MVP honours.

At the same time, I think Robin will be on a short leash.

They're not completely ignorant of his struggling season this year.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Billy Madison*

Lehner = future in the organization.
McKenna = no future what so ever in organization.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:28 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I agree that Lehner is the future but I'm concerned that he's not the better of the two options at this juncture. Certainly Lehner should see increased playing time in Bingo and more call-ups next season, but is he really the better of the two choices right now when Sens are 7 pts away from being in 9th? It's fine - Murray has already made great decisions for the organisation so I can't question him. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow night!

Old
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
I agree that Lehner is the future but I'm concerned that he's not the better of the two options at this juncture. Certainly Lehner should see increased playing time in Bingo and more call-ups next season, but is he really the better of the two choices right now when Sens are 7 pts away from being in 9th? It's fine - Murray has already made great decisions for the organisation so I can't question him. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow night!
The decisions that have been made over the last year is based 100% on the future of the team and the direction they want to go. Lehner is exactly the right player to bring up based on that and the current situation with Anderson.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

lineup for tonight vs the Norfolk Admirals.

Stewart will back up Mike McKenna (13-15-0) tonight as the B-Sens host the Norfolk Admirals.

Here's the rest of the lineup for tonight:

Lines
Mike Hoffman-Corey Locke-Mike Bartlett
Rob Klinkhammer-Stephane Da Costa-Andre Petersson
David Dziurzynski-Pat Cannone-Jack Downing
Derek Grant-Wacey Hamilton-Francis Lessard

D pairs
Mark Borowiecki-Eric Gryba
Dan Henningson-Tim Conboy
Patrick Wiercioch-Craig Schira

Expected scratches: D Josh Godfrey (healthy), Bobby Raymond (healthy); F Mark Parrish (concussion).

Via Joy.....

Old
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

eh...I better take a quick nap so I can wake up in time for the game

Old
02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
I'm supporting Lehner being called up because he's earned it, his inconsistent season he's having doesn't mean he's not a solid goalie, and at times he's been better than McKenna has been..it seems McKenna has some mental break downs and let's in some really terrible goals at times, while when Lehner is in his zone he's awesome to watch..

Not a knock against McKenna, as he also shows some flashes of being great, but he lets one bad goal in and then it all falls apart for him..

Old
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Brust had a better season than Lehner last yr, yet it was Lehner who led Bingo to a Calder Cup. McKenna may have had a better season but I think it's obvious to most that Lehner is the guy who has the potential to win it all. I see Lehner as a guy who can come in & if he gets off to a good start has the potential to have a Ken Dryden type run. He could also implode but we hope for the former to happen.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Brust had a better season than Lehner last yr, yet it was Lehner who led Bingo to a Calder Cup. McKenna may have had a better season but I think it's obvious to most that Lehner is the guy who has the potential to win it all. I see Lehner as a guy who can come in & if he gets off to a good start has the potential to have a Ken Dryden type run. He could also implode but we hope for the former to happen.
I understand your point, but remember Brust was on an AHL contract and that he started the playoffs and was only pulled when Binghamton was losing 3-1 in the series.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
The bottom line is that Murrays draftpicks will get priority over most other players. This happens on many teams. They do everything they can to develop these guys and the rest generally get ignored. Lehner has had a few good games but his performance isn't the determining factor. For most part it's draft placement within their administration.
Look at last year, Wiercioch got called up. He couldn't even get icetime in Bingo. It was the second round status that got him pulled up. The scouting staff's ***** are on the line in the first two round picks don't develop so I'm sure they tell the big club that they are playing OK and they team brings them up for development. All I'm saying is that it is not always an earned thing. It's like being born into a wealthy family.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
The bottom line is that Murrays draftpicks will get priority over most other players. This happens on many teams. They do everything they can to develop these guys and the rest generally get ignored. Lehner has had a few good games but his performance isn't the determining factor. For most part it's draft placement within their administration.
Look at last year, Wiercioch got called up. He couldn't even get icetime in Bingo. It was the second round status that got him pulled up. The scouting staff's ***** are on the line in the first two round picks don't develop so I'm sure they tell the big club that they are playing OK and they team brings them up for development. All I'm saying is that it is not always an earned thing. It's like being born into a wealthy family.
Ya, you're right. It's not like NHL potential was the most important factor

Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
The bottom line is that you are completely wrong. Greening, Brian Lee, Condra, Daugavins, Foligno, Regin....all Muckler picks, none of them ignored, all of them given a chance. The reason most of the players being given chances now are Murray players is because, 1..they are the better prospects and 2 Murray picks make up the majority of the current crop of prospects.

The rest is so far off base it's not even funny. Weircioch got called up because the Sens were depleted of dmen due to injuries at the NHL level and they wanted to see where exactly he was at in his development Same with Muckler pick Derek Smith getting called up as well last year for the same reasons, which you conveniently ignored mentioning.

Scouts are professional. They tell it like it is, regardless of who picked them and where they were picked. Talk to Dorion about this and see what he says. He would laugh in your face. I've talked to him and he's the first to admit the mistakes they've made. If scouts would behave the way you write they do, they would not be scouts for very long.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Last year, Lehner had to pay his dues, trying to win a spot from a very hot goalie. And as said, it wasnt until their season was down to a hail mary pass, that Lehner got his shot. And then went on like a young young P.Roy on the Habs to many OT wins and a Cup and an mvp.

Surely after that, if struggling (otherwise known as normally developing) now, he is the starter who is struggling with a good back up spelling him. Oh if only the O-Sens were so lucky. Maybe we can get Brust, where's he, Germany?

Even if we were to believe that Lehner has been 2nd best this year, bringing a goalie up now would be considered a long term developmental opportunity wouldn't it? Does the organizations reputation for being good at developing our prospects improve more if its spent on a backup overachieving or a long term top prospect currently developing? Should the question of who has better stats at the moment even come into it?

Really this opportunity for Lehner now is almost perfect, if he can seize it. As we've seen from our attacking defense this year, he is going to get lots of opportunity.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
The bottom line is that you are completely wrong. Greening, Brian Lee, Condra, Daugavins, Foligno, Regin....all Muckler picks, none of them ignored, all of them given a chance. The reason most of the players being given chances now are Murray players is because, 1..they are the better prospects and 2 Murray picks make up the majority of the current crop of prospects.

The rest is so far off base it's not even funny. Weircioch got called up because the Sens were depleted of dmen due to injuries at the NHL level and they wanted to see where exactly he was at in his development Same with Muckler pick Derek Smith getting called up as well last year for the same reasons, which you conveniently ignored mentioning.

Scouts are professional. They tell it like it is, regardless of who picked them and where they were picked. Talk to Dorion about this and see what he says. He would laugh in your face. I've talked to him and he's the first to admit the mistakes they've made. If scouts would behave the way you write they do, they would not be scouts for very long.
Totally agree, except that Derek Smith wasn't drafted. He got signed as a free agent in 2007.

2007/04/12 Signed as a free agent by the Ottawa Senators to a two-year contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6063

Old
02-26-2012, 11:38 AM
sens83

Finally some goalie depth in the organization! Picking up Ben Bishop is an outstanding move by Murray. Now, resign him in the offseason.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Finally some goalie depth in the organization! Picking up Ben Bishop is an outstanding move by Murray. Now, resign him in the offseason.
Apparently, Bishop was also signed by Murray for next yr to a one way contract which tells me he will be the backup to Anderson in Ottawa for next season. I really wonder now if Lehner & Petersson for that matter will both return to Bingo next season? I would think that Zibanejad & Silfverberg are both ahead of Petersson & so it would seem that neither Lehner or Petersson will be playing in Ottawa next yr except as injury callups. I wonder if that keeps them in Sweden for next yr? I hope not, I hope both take up the challenge & report to camp & report to Bingo & try & have another run at the Calder Cup.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
sens83

Quote:
Apparently, Bishop was also signed by Murray for next yr to a one way contract which tells me he will be the backup to Anderson in Ottawa for next season. I really wonder now if Lehner & Petersson for that matter will both return to Bingo next season? I would think that Zibanejad & Silfverberg are both ahead of Petersson & so it would seem that neither Lehner or Petersson will be playing in Ottawa next yr except as injury callups. I wonder if that keeps them in Sweden for next yr? I hope not, I hope both take up the challenge & report to camp & report to Bingo & try & have another run at the Calder Cup.
If Lehner goes back to Sweden next season he's done. It would make no sense for him to do that if he really wants to be in the NHL. I'm sick and tired of all the European players crying their way back home if they don't like the fact that they didn't make the NHL.

I've been saying it for a while now that Lehner is not NHL ready. He just has not developed the way he should have after the Calder Cup last year. There are a lot of fans that have their heads in the sand with respect to Lehner's readiness. He is the ONLY goaltending prospect in the organization until this afternoon when they got Bishop. The Sens are in desperate need of getting some depth at the goaltending position.

Despite what some may think, the goaltending by Lehner has been pretty bad this season, McKenna is outplaying him just like Brust did the year prior. Sure the lack of any decent defense in front of the net has been a problem, but it's a problem for McKenna too. For chist's sake, McKenna had 28 saves in the first period last night. The two glaring holes in the prospect pool for Ottawa are defense and goal.

Time for people to stop trying to rush the next "savior" prospect before they are ready. You make Lehner the toast of the town and suck his man parts long enough and he's going to think you are back stabbing him.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:01 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Agreed - I hope Lehner eventually does develop but going back to Sweden is not going to help. He needs 1 more year in the A with a few call ups. Granted he needs a team in front of him as well but I don't think he's really performed to Murray's standards which is why this deal was made. It doesn't mean he doesn't have faith in Lehner but at this particular moment Lehner just hasn't given enough proof he can play in the show.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Agreed - I hope Lehner eventually does develop but going back to Sweden is not going to help. He needs 1 more year in the A with a few call ups. Granted he needs a team in front of him as well but I don't think he's really performed to Murray's standards which is why this deal was made. It doesn't mean he doesn't have faith in Lehner but at this particular moment Lehner just hasn't given enough proof he can play in the show.
Competition is good for the players & for the organization. I hope Lehner steps up to the challenge but I agree he has had two poor regular seasons now. Although he has also had an outstanding playoffs which is where it counts the most, if you can make it there.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Ben Bishop is on the ice.................

Joy Lindsay ‏
PSBJoyOnTheSens

The #BSens' skate this morning appears to be optional after an intense practice yesterday. New goalie Ben Bishop is on the ice.

Via Joy.....

Closed Thread