HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

This isn't about trade, or Rick Nash, or anything like that.

This summer, several hailed him as a potential 1st line winger, an irreplaceable part of this core, and a potential captain. He lead the team in point last season, and his defensively play is above average, even on a defensively obsessed Rangers team.

Fans of other teams hate him with a passion, as do the players on other teams, giving him the assets of an agitator with the potential of a high-end 2nd liner. And yet when a trade appears, his name is the first to appear, where once it was Girardi, and later Anisimov, and even Gaborik that was on everybody's "To go list".

So why has Brandon Dubinsky fallen out of favor? The obvious thing to point to is his goal total: a mere 6. His point total is sitting at 25. For comparison, his former line-mate and partner in crime Ryan Callahan has 24 goals, 45 points.

Granted, Cally is playing with Brad Richards, and 11 of those goals come via powerplay, but Dubinsky was given the same chance, even a chance to play with Gaborik and Stepan, and yet he's had massive difficultly producing.

Dubi has managed to throw 105 shots on goal, with only 6 becoming goals. Has he run into bad luck? Perhaps he's snake bit?

Personally, I think being looked over for the "A" made a difference. I hate how it sounds, but lets be honest, Dubinsky has shown some difficulty controlling his emotions, and when he's been with the team as long as our present captain, fulfilling much the same role, and working his heart half way to death trying to win a playoff round, it's easy to imagine he took it as a snub.

And now with the Nash rumors, he looks clearly disturbed on the ice. Each shift, he's like an employee on his first week of work, practically screaming "please don't fire (in this case, trade) me!".

That's my best guess. The goals he's scored have been beautiful, it's simply the rebounds, garbage goals and wide open nets that he hasn't been able to sink. I think if he stays (and I hope very deeply he's not traded off) that we'll see a return to 50 pt form, possibly even scratching at 60.

Also, I want to see what he can do with Hags at some point.

Note: this is not a "How to get Dubi going" thread. He's this year's Gaborik, but without the occasional hat-trick, but instead providing solid forechecking and defensive play. I'm interested to hear some of your analysis and hypothesizes.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
I am just glad that the folks on here that wanted him to get the C didnt have their wish

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Mikos87

He's reacting out there, he looks slow, not as far as foot speed, but his thinking. How many times has he flubbed a pass, fallen on his knees, gotten knocked off the puck this season as opposed to last? Can't seem to decide whether he wants to pass or shoot before he fizzles out, not the same player as last season when he took it straight to teams. What ever it is, I think it's in his head. He isn't even on the top two pk units anymore and he had been a staple there for the last three seasons on a very good pk.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Ail
k.

If he thinks he was snubbed, or entitled to the A, or C, for that matter, and it is affecting his play, then he is not a player I want on this team. If he really deserved either of those letters, he would not be playing like that was an issue.

I just think he is having a bad year. I don't think it has anything to do with that, but who knows? It's possible.

02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Incredibly disappointed in him. I expected him to hit 60 points this year playing with Richie and Cally and instead hes regressed.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

He's solid defensively, and a top penalty killer who is reliable on faceoffs. He's not a first liner offensively, but he's able to match up to superstars and get under their skin. He's even willing to fight even though he's bad at it.

He's still all of those things, and a great part of the team, but a lot of people can't look past the stat line and think great teams can be built by trading guys after a bad game. He's been ineffective offensively all year, so he's the impulse trade bait for people who value him as Rick Nash minus the Rangers sloppy seconds.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Aileen C*

You mentioned something very interesting.

Does anyone remember back in the glory 07 and 08 years when Rangers fans argued over whether Dubinsky or Callahan would assume the leadership role?

Well, despite Dubinsky being the MVP of this team last season, Callahan won. I really don't understand why Richards was given the A over Dubinsky.

It does seem like he knows his max wasn't good enough. That's a damn shame because if Dubinsky and Boyle were putting up the numbers they put up last year, this team would be golden.

Aileen C* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
He seems slower and inept offensively. The only thing he has provided this season is good penalty killing and the occasional forecheck.

I don't know what it is, whether it be the trade rumours, the new contract, or a lack of conditioning in the offseason, but whatever it is, he needs to find his game, or he'll be on his way out in my opinion. And, at this point, although he embodies what the Rangers stand for when he's on his game, I would not be hurt by it at all. It's getting painful watching him play.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McIlrathsWrath

I think he is underrated. I know we paid him to put up points but he is constantly making things happen on the ice. He isn't like a wolski or Christensen where he just disappears for a week. He is noticed everygame and I think the little things he does helps our team in a big way. I am glad to hear the trade talks die down because I don't want to lose dubi

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Dubi is going to be a good third liner then he's not worth 4.2 million dollars. Simple as that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I know he wasn't producing much before he was on a line with Prust and Boyle, but they're not exactly going to jump start his production.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Crease

I like him. I think he's having a bad year and can be a 60 point guy for us.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

These guys are supposed to be professionals. Great. He didn't get an A on his sweater. Move on. You can still be a leader without the letter.

And I'm not going to say it's bad luck. He has stopped going hard to the net, and if he does end up there, he'll flub a rebound anyway.

I was willing to give him time to get going, but we are 60 games into the season. This averages out into a goal every 10 games, which for 4.2 million, is unacceptable.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If Dubi is going to be a good third liner then he's not worth 4.2 million dollars. Simple as that.
He got paid for the potential he showed. Do you think he can find his way back to form, or possibly better?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If you want to provide an overly simplistic and naive analysis I guess it's as simple as that.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Affinity

I still think he is part of the core.. the fact that people constantly leave him out is puzzling and frustrating. He's having a bad year but it's not even that bad. Kid is still putting up points (almost the same amount of assists as Richards). He's only 5 points behind Anisimov who is playing on our top line. It's really not as bad as it seems but we always need a whipping boy over here so this year Dubi and Richie have been sharing honors. He's still very solid defensively and one of our best PKers.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Brady Skjei

Remember, he was playing for his contract last year. How many players have had career years in their contract year and then regressed the year after? I don't think his offensive woes are permanent. He's playing solid defensively. I don't think it'd be too wise to let him go at this point to be honest.

Brady Skjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Aviary View Post
He's solid defensively, and a top penalty killer who is reliable on faceoffs. He's not a first liner offensively, but he's able to match up to superstars and get under their skin. He's even willing to fight even though he's bad at it.

He's still all of those things, and a great part of the team, but a lot of people can't look past the stat line and think great teams can be built by trading guys after a bad game. He's been ineffective offensively all year, so he's the impulse trade bait for people who value him as Rick Nash minus the Rangers sloppy seconds.
Price tag. All of that is not enough for his paycheck. Sorry.

I agree he is all those things, but it's not cutting it.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
OverTheCap

Dubinsky's a player who usually has a very hot start to the season and it didn't happen this year. I think the fact that it took him so long to score his first goal messed with his head a bit. He has no confidence in his shot this year. Also, he was one of the go-to guys for offense last season, and with the re-emergence of Gaborik and the addition of Richards, I think he had some problems adjusting.

I think he'll bounce back next year, much like Del Zotto and Gabby did this season. And I think he'll be an asset in the playoffs, if he's still around.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
McDonaghisGod
Speed kills

I am a big fan of Dubi but the fact is that he has haggled over money with Sather twice. Then after getting his big payday proceeds to have his worst season. In the salary cap era, a guy making 4.2 million dollars has to produce offense.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I still think he is part of the core.. the fact that people constantly leave him out is puzzling and frustrating. He's having a bad year but it's not even that bad. Kid is still putting up points (almost the same amount of assists as Richards). He's only 5 points behind Anisimov who is playing on our top line. It's really not as bad as it seems but we always need a whipping boy over here so this year Dubi and Richie have been sharing honors. He's still very solid defensively and one of our best PKers.
The amount of animosity towards Dubinsky and Richards is astounding. The Rangers are in first place by a longshot, but guys on the team aren't putting up certain statistics so they're whipping boys. Perhaps the Rangers should drop back to fourth place and crash the bandwagon so the Yankees fans stop shouting superstar names and short-sighted nonsense.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
Remember, he was playing for his contract last year. How many players have had career years in their contract year and then regressed the year after? I don't think his offensive woes are permanent. He's playing solid defensively. I don't think it'd be too wise to let him go at this point to be honest.
So then the trick is:
Overpay Dubi, but make each contract 1 year in length.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Agreed.

But, the main reason people have been pissed, is because of his 4.2 mill new contract. For that, he needs to do better than 6 goals.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Aviary View Post
The amount of animosity towards Dubinsky and Richards is astounding. The Rangers are in first place by a longshot, but guys on the team aren't putting up certain statistics so they're whipping boys. Perhaps the Rangers should drop back to fourth place and crash the bandwagon so the Yankees fans stop shouting superstar names and short-sighted nonsense.
so true. such a yankee fan mindset to go after all the big names. reminds me of an onion article about their recent trade with the mariners, "Seattle Mariners Hope Jesus Montero Can Get Good Enough To One Day Sign With Yankees"

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I think next year is going to be key. If he doesn't come back next year and regain his offensive touch, then he'll need to be moved due to his salary. If he can come back and score 20+ goals and 50+ points, while remaining solid defensively, good on faceoffs, and effective on the forecheck, then he'll be worth his contract. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him now, because he's shown that he's willing to battle for this team, and he has a high compete level. He's gonna lay it on the line every night and try his damnedest, even if nothing is going his way, and those are the kinds of guys whose value skyrockets in the playoffs.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote