HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Matt Duchene

Old
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

vCash: 500
Matt Duchene

I come in peace. I just have a question. What happened to Matt Duchene? I haven't heard much about him recently and heard his point production dropped drastically from last year. Is this true? Why?

P.S. I think Duchene is a great player and am just looking to be enlightened on his situtaion. Thanks

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Freudian
calmer than you are

vCash: 50
He's struggled to find consistency and chemistry with others. He's been playing wing for a while, but that hasn't really helped.

He'll be fine eventually, but don't be surprised to see him struggle to put up points for the rest of this season.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
I come in peace. I just have a question. What happened to Matt Duchene? I haven't heard much about him recently and heard his point production dropped drastically from last year. Is this true? Why?

P.S. I think Duchene is a great player and am just looking to be enlightened on his situtaion. Thanks
Injuries, bad line mates, no chemistry, not playing his natural position. Take your pick.

Tralfamadore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
how is this off-topic

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
That's "Mack"innon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
how is this off-topic
was wondering the same thing.

edit: although I think it was the OP trying to be polite

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
avacol

He's a little too in his own head right now. Thinking too much as opposed to relying on his instinct. Also doesn't help that he didn't play for ~6 weeks due to injury and is playing wing instead of center. He'll pick it up though.

I hope.

avacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
was wondering the same thing.

edit: although I think it was the OP trying to be polite
This, I didnt know how to categorize it

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
AvsWraith

The chemistry and bad line mates thing is overblown though. In a lot of the cases, he has simply failed to make the correct play or has failed to execute a move he was trying to do. All of those plays resulting in turnovers. He works the best when his confidence is high. Right now, coming back from the injury, his confidence is not very high.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
That's "Mack"innon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
This, I didnt know how to categorize it
Well, it's pretty much "on topic" with all of us. I personally think he needs to move back to center.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

One thing you want to pay attention to is that what happens when Peter Mueller returns. He and Duchene have played very well together, but whether they still do, that's the question.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 274
I think right now, he's getting his legs back after not playing for 6 weeks plus probably playing a bit carefully cause he was just injured...I personally think he needs to move back to center cause hes not clicking with Staz right now and I think going back to C will up his confidence.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
AVSfan2daMAX

He's 21 years old and sometimes 21 year olds struggle in the NHL. He will be fine. Duchene was neck and neck with John Tavares in scoring through their first 2 seasons in the league. Tavares took the step into "elite" status this season and I expect Duchene to follow him next season. Duchene's just a little immature in his game. It will be fixed.

It's really hard to evaluate Duchene's recent games since he's just come back from a knee injury. It takes time to get back into a groove and for all we know, he's probably still not fully healed. I think people need to learn a little bit of patience. It seems the standard people hold these young players is often unrealistic.

AVSfan2daMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
foppagirl21

Ever since coming back from injury, he is playing timid, like he is afraid of re-injuring his knee. Also, the wing experiment has failed miserably and needs to be placed back at center ASAP.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
he just turned 21.......he's probably boozing it up and charming the ladies.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Ever since coming back from injury, he is playing timid, like he is afraid of re-injuring his knee. Also, the wing experiment has failed miserably and needs to be placed back at center ASAP.
In my opinion someone should be traded, preferably Stastny. Bring in a top-6 winger (for example to play with Duchene) or a #1 d-man. The roster is not in right balance right now.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
forsbergavs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
In my opinion someone should be traded, preferably Stastny. Bring in a top-6 winger (for example to play with Duchene) or a #1 d-man. The roster is not in right balance right now.
I agree, the Avs have 3 centers who are top 6 centers, none of them should be playing 3rd line, and since the Duchene on wing experiment has failed miserably it's time to move someone for a top 6 winger or a top pairing D-man. Stastny seems to be the most logical candidate because Duchene is supposed to have a greater upside and RoR has emerged as a top center who has major value to the Avs and will not be traaded.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

He needs to stop trying to force the spectacular, and just let the game come to him. He tries way too hard to do it all by himself a lot of the time. He seems to shoot it when other players are open for a better opportunity Pass it through 3-4 sets of legs when he should put it on net. Tries to dangle through the other teams defense, or spins, and spins, and spins when he should just get it deep, or pass it to a teammate.

It's like no matter what decision he makes this season, the majority of the time it's the wrong one.

Bill Peckerskull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
I agree, the Avs have 3 centers who are top 6 centers, none of them should be playing 3rd line, and since the Duchene on wing experiment has failed miserably it's time to move someone for a top 6 winger or a top pairing D-man. Stastny seems to be the most logical candidate because Duchene is supposed to have a greater upside and RoR has emerged as a top center who has major value to the Avs and will not be traaded.
I would think that having 3 great centres down the middle would be an awesome asset. Being able to roll three lines with the likes of our forwards consistently is awesome. That's why teams like Vancouver, Boston, and Pittsburgh have had so much success recently. If Mueller can get back in the lineup soon, Colorado can have that kind of depth.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
forsbergavs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
I would think that having 3 great centres down the middle would be an awesome asset. Being able to roll three lines with the likes of our forwards consistently is awesome. That's why teams like Vancouver, Boston, and Pittsburgh have had so much success recently. If Mueller can get back in the lineup soon, Colorado can have that kind of depth.
Normally yes, that's a great asset, but Sacco refuses to put Duchene back at center, which is hampering his development, it seems Sacco would rather try to piece Duchene into a top 6 winger role instead of a possible "3rd line" center role. So if the Avs trade Staz for a top 6 winger for Duchene, it would IMO make the Avs much stronger cause Duchene would have the new winger/Mueller/Hejduk to play with, while we still have great depth at center with Duchene/RoR/McClement/Olver/Hishon once he's healthy.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
he just turned 21.......he's probably boozing it up and charming the ladies.
, yeah, that could have something to do with it too, who knows for sure. It seems that teammates success, esp. that of ROR and Lando, makes him force things even more. Maybe it's a little competitive jealousy, where not keeping up with those two is killing his confidence. He desperately needs 2-3-4 games in a row where he is a big part of the offense. Keeping him on wing, and playing him with Stastny, isn't going to help. It's clear, IMO, that they don't mesh together.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

IMO, if they are going to trade Stastny, they should wait until this summer. He's too important to the team right now.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
shadow1

Basically, he's soft and gets knocked off the puck every time he touches it. He needs to bulk up this summer.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Basically, he's soft and gets knocked off the puck every time he touches it. He needs to bulk up this summer.
He's 5'11 and over 200 pounds he does not need to bulk up. He's incredibly strong on the puck when he wants to be and uses his leg strength. He just tries to do too much sometimes.

Tralfamadore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONIVER View Post
He's 5'11 and over 200 pounds he does not need to bulk up. He's incredibly strong on the puck when he wants to be and uses his leg strength. He just tries to do too much sometimes.
The he needs to get stronger because he's terrible right now.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
The kid needs to learn how to play with others. Seems like every single shift he tries to make things happen alone, stickhandling through 4-5 guys to try and create offense.

If he would just learn to pass the puck and read plays he would be miles ahead of where he is currently. Frustrating to sit back and watch.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote