HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash Rumours VIII: Nash-ing out the final details

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Yeah, for a day or two there it looked like he was gonna be gone. I'd be very surprised if he was moved. Time to look into other options.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Howson isn't doing anything wrong. He's dangling Nash in hopes someone pays him a premium. If no one does, he keeps him.
exactly, it is entirely possible to rebuild a team WITH a superstar like nash on the roster.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

move on ... if CBJ still thinks they can have our whole roster for Nash ... MOVE ON

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You really believe this changes anything?
I think we will look elsewhere.

Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He totally thought he could create a big market for Nash and that teams would be fighting over him at the deadline, but it seems that he read the market wrong and is expecting teams to give up the farm for a guy who's performing really poorly this year compared to what Howson is asking for him. I mean, what does he say to that? "Yeah our team is really awfult his year it's so bad that Nash can't score goals, but let me tell you, if you get him on your good team he'll be great! Nevermind the fact that I put this awful team together, now give me everything for Nash!"
Agreed. He probably shouldn't have put Nash on the market if that's the case. Or at least try to gauge the market in a stealthy manner instead of advertising it to the media.

Old
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I can't even imagine how slow Anisimov would be with 20 more pounds.
He needs to put on more weight and get more strength. Gaborik is the speed of that line. Anisimov's style would be more suited towards a Jagr. Jagr is 95% power. I would rather see Anisimov work toward his strength which is more of a power forward.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
As bad as he's been this year, I still think Boyes could be a good fit with Richards for this playoff run.
I said that two days ago. I agree. He's worth a shot. Pure rental and will be extremely cheap since he's sucked all year.

Only issue is that he's a RW. To get max use out of him, you might have to displace Cally to the third line.

That might not be a bad thing. IMO whatever ice time Cally loses to Boyes, he makes up for it on the PP with Steps and Gaborik instead of AA

Keep in mind, i dont offer Buffalo anything higher than a 4th for the guy.

AA-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Boyes
Dubi-Boyle-Cally
Feds-Mitchell-Prust

Rupp's the odd man out...

Edit: Boyes is hurt.....no thanks.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
exactly, it is entirely possible to rebuild a team WITH a superstar like nash on the roster.
Yea because in 5 years when CBJ is actually set to be competitive you'll have an overpaid superstar in his mid 30's on the decline of his career. It doesn't make any sense to speed up the rebuild process by getting 3-4 good assets for your team.

And that is under the assumption that CBJ makes all the right moves for the next 5 years. They have a solid record of screwing up many times before.

02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Yea because in 5 years when CBJ is actually set to be competitive you'll have an overpaid superstar in his mid 30's on the decline of his career. It doesn't make any sense to speed up the rebuild process by getting 3-4 good assets for your team.

And that is under the assumption that CBJ makes all the right moves for the next 5 years. They have a solid record of screwing up many times before.
It makes entirely NO SENSE to trade a player for parts that you don't like. I'm sorry, but it's that simple. Nash hasn't been traded because Howson doesn't like any of the offers. On the other hand, he liked what he was offered for Carter.

He's in no rush. He has plenty of time to trade him down the road.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Let's not forget the fact Howson asked Nash where he'd like to get moved, this gives Nash a way off a team in turmoil, a team that's about to start over. Now he's just going to say, sorry Rick, we tried, but we just couldn't get what we wanted back. You'll have to spend yor prime floundering in the basement... If Nash is playing in Columbus next year I'd be shocked..

Old
02-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think we've been looking elsewhere the whole time. Sather had/has no intention of moving off a rather weak return for Nash. Despite the mass hysteria on this board regarding the "inevitable" Nash trade, I think thats how its always been.

Wouldnt be surprised at all if Sather and his team have been spending more time on depth moves like a 3rd pairing D-man and a bottom 6 faceoff guy.

Old
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I said that two days ago. I agree. He's worth a shot. Pure rental and will be extremely cheap since he's sucked all year.

Only issue is that he's a RW. To get max use out of him, you might have to displace Cally to the third line.

That might not be a bad thing. IMO whatever ice time Cally loses to Boyes, he makes up for it on the PP with Steps and Gaborik instead of AA

AA-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Boyes
Dubi-Boyle-Cally
Feds-Mitchell-Prust

Mitchell would get sent to Connecticut. Torts won't let Rupp not be on the team. I love when Dubi and Cally are together.

Old
Blueblood9

Quote:
Over simplified. Howson is playing chicken. So is Sather. Obviously Howson thinks the longer he waits the more someone (Sather) will panic and add or change their offer. Obviously, Sather thinks he can wait Howson out and get him to accept the deal that's been presented to him. Or Sather has another offer prepped but doesn't want to give Howson time to shop Sather's offer.
this reminds me of the melo situation last year. I just hope Dolan stays out of it unlike last year

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Howson wants DZ in any deal. He wants Gardiner in any Leaf deal. Of course,Scotty passed on both players in 2008 for Nikita Filatov. Where is he? Minor league KHL team

Darren Dreger video

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip626611#clip626611

Old
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

AA-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Boyes
Dubi-Boyle-Cally
Feds-Mitchell-Prust

Edit: Boyes is hurt.....no thanks.
I like Cally getting rewarded for a great season by being demoted to the 3rd line.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood9 View Post
this reminds me of the melo situation last year. I just hope Dolan stays out of it unlike last year
HUUUGGGEEE difference. Melo had an expiring contract, Nash has six more years.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Look, I'm really not a Anisimov fan and I'm shocked that he hasn't fallen out of favor with Torts. But there's obviously a skill set there.

Most good players stay within themselves and try not to do too much. That's what makes an useful player. He's smart. He knows where to be. He reads plays well. That's what all good players do and something most rookies struggle with.

I still have no idea what Dubiski is. Is he a passer? Is he a power forward who is going to score a lot of garbage goals? I'm not sure what he excels at.

I never argued that Anisimov doesn't have a skill set. All things considered, I don't want him off the team at all. I just argued that, until he uses that skillset to produce, he hasn't surpassed Dubinsky on the depth chart. Anisimov has more skill than Dubi, but there isn't (to use your own terms) a single thing that AA does better than Dubinsky.

As for Dubinsky, I think his biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He wears his heart on his sleeve. That allows him to play beyond his skill level and turn it up in the playoffs, but it also magnifies things like a slump to seem bigger than they really are. He can pass (frankly, I think he's always been a better passer than shooter). He can score. He can play the PF game. Last season, he started putting those elements together. This year, when he lost confidence in his shot, he tried to live off of just the passing. It's obviously not worked, but I'm not concerned. As I said--having a down year is not exclusive to Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
egelband

i'm totally fine with sather walking away from this one.

howson has really backed himself into a corner. the market's not what he expected (many of us could see that from the start!) and now he will either be stubborn, waste more time, and piss-off his best player or decide his best offer's already on the table and take it (from whichever team).

Old
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think it means Sather is the only serious suitor and he's trying to get his price.

02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think we've been looking elsewhere the whole time. Sather had/has no intention of moving off a rather weak return for Nash. Despite the mass hysteria on this board regarding the "inevitable" Nash trade, I think thats how its always been.

Wouldnt be surprised at all if Sather and his team have been spending more time on depth moves like a 3rd pairing D-man and a bottom 6 faceoff guy.

This bottom 6 faceoff guy, what else should we expect from him, just take the draw and head for the bench the entire game? Just curious.....

Old
02-26-2012, 04:33 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
HUUUGGGEEE difference. Melo had an expiring contract, Nash has six more years.
He was traded to the Knicks with the stipulation that he would get an extension.... The Knicks would have been better had they kept the guys they had and not gone after Melo. They were one piece away from being amazing.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Howson isn't doing anything wrong. He's dangling Nash in hopes someone pays him a premium. If no one does, he keeps him.
Interesting message being sent to your only super star and face of the franchise

Old
02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
He was traded to the Knicks with the stipulation that he would get an extension....
You're not seeing my point.

The Nuggets HAD TO trade Melo by the deadline or they would receive nothing. Their backs were against the wall.

Howson doesn't have to trade him right now. He can trade him in the offseason, or any time next year, or the year after.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

People are really not grasping what is going on. This Nash situation was initiated by Columbus ownership. Howson is nothing more than a patsy. Why would ownership ask their star player currently under contract to waive his NMC? $47 million for the next six years on a last place team just might have something to do with it.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:36 PM
OverTheCap

Well, our team managed to start the rebuild with an aging star in Jagr, and the emergence of Lundqvist. We didn't rebuild the conventional way like teams such as Pitt or Chicago did by stockpiling top 5 picks. One of my complaints in previous years was that we never did go through a complete rebuild, but it appears as if our team is still competitive regardless.

So it can be done. Does Columbus have the management that can pull it off? Probably not.

Closed Thread