HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

vCash: 500
For me it's not a question of going after superstar names. The fact is that this team often looks completely inept offensively, particularly on the powerplay. I don't see how they can go deep in the playoffs unless this is rectified.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
For me it's not a question of going after superstar names. The fact is that this team often looks completely inept offensively, particularly on the powerplay. I don't see how they can go deep in the playoffs unless this is rectified.
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I think it's been proven that a team can go KINDA far even with a slumping powerplay.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:33 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I like him. I think he's having a bad year and can be a 60 point guy for us.
I think his upper level is 50-55 at this point but otherwise I like him as well. He's a very good second liner. This year's he's off and he's a 3rd liner but on a very, very good team.

As far as trading him for Nash--okay as long as the other components don't get out of hand and truthfully I wouldn't mind at all if he stays and it may be that his play picks up after the deadline--when he realizes he's dodged the bullet.

The one thing he's not doing this season is driving the net as much. He's got to force his way to the front more. He's not getting very much pwp time but even though not much has worked for us pwp wise it's not as if he's earned it. But this **** happens. Gaborik **** the bed last year and now he's got his game back. That's happened to a lot of players.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I think it's been proven that a team can go KINDA far even with a slumping powerplay.
Honestly, I'd much rather be a team that relies on 5v5 play like the Bruins instead of 5v4 like the Canucks. The Canucks got bent over in terms of power plays in the finals and how'd that work out for them? But I digress, this thread is about Dubinsky not Boston's 10% PP in the SCF.

If the Nash deal doesn't go through and Dubi stays I'm eager to see what he can do in the playoffs this year. It's a whole different season once they start and I think he'll step it up and if he does then I really don't care what he did in the regular season. Same goes for Richards.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
I'm not talking about a team. I'm talking about this team. The last two times that we have been in the playoffs we have made the Craps' mediocre goalies look like the reincarnation of Patrick Roy. There are way too many forwards on this team that have the hands of amputees.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think next year is going to be key. If he doesn't come back next year and regain his offensive touch, then he'll need to be moved due to his salary. If he can come back and score 20+ goals and 50+ points, while remaining solid defensively, good on faceoffs, and effective on the forecheck, then he'll be worth his contract. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him now, because he's shown that he's willing to battle for this team, and he has a high compete level. He's gonna lay it on the line every night and try his damnedest, even if nothing is going his way, and those are the kinds of guys whose value skyrockets in the playoffs.
I agree. This is a reasonable way to look at him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Aviary View Post
The amount of animosity towards Dubinsky and Richards is astounding. The Rangers are in first place by a longshot, but guys on the team aren't putting up certain statistics so they're whipping boys. Perhaps the Rangers should drop back to fourth place and crash the bandwagon so the Yankees fans stop shouting superstar names and short-sighted nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
so true. such a yankee fan mindset to go after all the big names. reminds me of an onion article about their recent trade with the mariners, "Seattle Mariners Hope Jesus Montero Can Get Good Enough To One Day Sign With Yankees"
Couldn't agree more with either quote. It frustrates and aggravates me how NOTHING is ever good enough with this team and these fans.

You have seen the asinine threads involving trading Gaborik, Girardi, and even Lundqvist.

We are such a 'reactive' fan-base. It is beyond laughable. I understand why so many fan-bases don't like 'us.'

Because frankly: I don't like us.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
NYR1967

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...dividends.html

This is a great article, and though it is really focusing on players who signed UFA contracts with a new team, I think the same could be argued for Dubi. It is my opinion that next year, once he has settled down, we'll see the same numbers from him we have in the past - though of course I could be wrong, just an opinion.

Last edited by NYR1967: 02-26-2012 at 06:31 PM.
NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
egelband

good all-around player who's having a very 'off' year offensively. seems his head's screwed-up. i think he'll sort it out, though. i think he's a big part of a very good lockerroom. just my gut feeling, but he seemed very popular watching 24/7. not that his troubles on the ice aren't key, but i think he's a major cog and will turn it on after the trade deadline, assuming he's not moved.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Couldn't agree more with either quote. It frustrates and aggravates me how NOTHING is ever good enough with this team and these fans.

You have seen the asinine threads involving trading Gaborik, Girardi, and even Lundqvist.

We are such a 'reactive' fan-base. It is beyond laughable. I understand why so many fan-bases don't like 'us.'

The only thing more frustrating than all of that are the people who run around posting about how they're the most die-hard, non fair-weather fans because they aren't for bringing in more talent, making a splash at the trade-deadline, or objectively criticizing players who are underachieving in some aspects of their game they should not be at this point in their career.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
The only thing more frustrating than all of that are the people who run around posting about how they're the most die-hard, non fair-weather fans because they aren't for bringing in more talent, making a splash at the trade-deadline, or objectively criticizing players who are underachieving in some aspects of their game they should not be at this point in their career.
Amen. Some people on this board act like homegrown players should be immune from criticism.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
district9

i seriously doubt this has anything to do with him not getting an A. i think he got off to a slow start, the added pressure of that big contract, and he's been trying too hard to right the ship and when you try to force yourself out of a slump it never works.

next year, he'll be starting fresh. i'll say right now that this will be dubinsky's worst season from here to the rest of his career. if we trade him away right now, we're not losing an 8 goal third liner, we're losing a grinder who can put up 45-55 points a year. i'm seriously against trading dubinsky in any deal, especially for nash.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Your not alone.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
If you want to provide an overly simplistic and naive analysis I guess it's as simple as that.
Talk about chemistry all you want. We have a fantastic locker room and we can get rid of a 4.2 million dollar 40 point player.

This season is a lot more telling than you're making it out to be. He had big expectations and is playing on the best team he ever has...and he fell flat on his face.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And I agree with DW. Ridiculous how people think because we're upset with a 4.2 third liner who's intangibles are being overstated on a team full of players with them we're bandwagoners.

I didn't dump on MDZ because he had a 40 point rookie season and was a sophomore defense. I turned out to be right because he's one of our best 3 d-men now.

I didn't dump on Gabby because he's a 40 goal scorer who has proved that in the past and had his shoulder ****ed in the beginning of the year. I was right because he's arguably our best forward this year.

I AM dumping on Dubi because he got his payday and decided not to show up this season after a good year. 6 goals is UNACCEPTABLE. He has one very good year, get's payed, and disappears. If Dubi was playing this year like he did last year our offense would be potent.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Talk about chemistry all you want. We have a fantastic locker room and we can get rid of a 4.2 million dollar 40 point player.

This season is a lot more telling than you're making it out to be. He had big expectations and is playing on the best team he ever has...and he fell flat on his face.
And that's completely telling, because no player other than Brandon Dubinsky has EVER had a statistically down year.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
And that's completely telling, because no player other than Brandon Dubinsky has EVER had a statistically down year.
Talk about simplifying arguments. :

Nobody has yet to refute my point that Dubinsky's season is incredibly disappointing and that at 4.2 mil, he's movable for an upgrade.

Remember that time Callahan got his payday as well, also had to handle the pressure of having the C on his jersey...and stepped up to the plate and is on pace for a SIXTY POINT season?

Dubinsky regressed after his career year. Callahan IMPROVED.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
And I agree with DW. Ridiculous how people think because we're upset with a 4.2 third liner who's intangibles are being overstated on a team full of players with them we're bandwagoners.

I didn't dump on MDZ because he had a 40 point rookie season and was a sophomore defense. I turned out to be right because he's one of our best 3 d-men now.

I didn't dump on Gabby because he's a 40 goal scorer who has proved that in the past and had his shoulder ****ed in the beginning of the year. I was right because he's arguably our best forward this year.

I AM dumping on Dubi because he got his payday and decided not to show up this season after a good year. 6 goals is UNACCEPTABLE. He has one very good year, get's payed, and disappears. If Dubi was playing this year like he did last year our offense would be potent.
Plus, DZ and Gabby weren't playing like this the first year after a new contract. Gabby had a 42 goal season his first season here, DZ is still on an ELC this year as well.

Dubi got paid this summer, and has been a major disappointment. He's got intangibles, sure. So do Cally and Toews. But these guys actually produce. (Albeit, not on the same level, but Toews makes more than Cally anyway.)

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Ohhhhh excuse me. So if we criticize a guy making 4+ million dollars for having 6 goals and on pace for less than 40 points, we're "laughable?"

If we were on here criticizing Dubi after 10, 20 games then YES that would be extremely reactionary and I would be the first to call people out for it. But 3/4 of the season is complete and he's been a huge disappointment- so stop making this about the fan base because this criticism of Dubinsky is NOT undeserving.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Affinity

I really hope it doesn't happen but god forbid Callahan has a bad season. The trade proposals involving our captain on the main board should be a hilarious read.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:35 PM
TomLaidlaw

Big mistake trading Dubinsky. Hopefully this time tomorrow Dubi is preparing to play the Devils. Dubinsky is a guy who we will really need in the playoffs.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Talk about simplifying arguments. :

Nobody has yet to refute my point that Dubinsky's season is incredibly disappointing and that at 4.2 mil, he's movable for an upgrade.

Remember that time Callahan got his payday as well, also had to handle the pressure of having the C on his jersey...and stepped up to the plate and is on pace for a SIXTY POINT season?

Dubinsky regressed after his career year. Callahan IMPROVED.
Nobody has yet to disagree with that bolded point.

I honestly want to know, do you think that we overpaid and this is the Dubinsky we have to live with or trade, or that he'll rebound a la DelZ and Gabby?

As for trading, I don't move Dubinsky for Nash, but Consider it for Ryan.

Or MSL.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Ohhhhh excuse me. So if we criticize a guy making 4+ million dollars for having 6 goals and on pace for less than 40 points, we're "laughable?"

If we were on here criticizing Dubi after 10, 20 games then YES that would be extremely reactionary and I would be the first to call people out for it. But 3/4 of the season is complete and he's been a huge disappointment- so stop making this about the fan base because this criticism of Dubinsky is NOT undeserving.
You can read my post and think I mean Dubi. It's a poor assumption, though. Dubi - unfortunately - hasn't lived up to his contract whatsoever this season. So if we were willing to make a trade to upgrade this team at his expense, I'm all for it.

But that's not what I am talking about. You've seen the threads: Prince Chad > King Henrik.
Petr Prucha > Sidney Crosby.
Let's trade Girardi. Let's trade Staal. Let's trade Hank because we're a bad hockey team.

THAT is what I'm talking about. I saw earlier a thread saying, "Callahan goal of the year." Are you serious? Wasn't even goal of the day. It's the over-the-top, "reactive" emotional remarks that make me facepalm constantly.

If Hank has an off-day or two, "Should we trade Hank? Is he falling?" It's insipid and laughable.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Nobody has yet to disagree with that bolded point.

I honestly want to know, do you think that we overpaid and this is the Dubinsky we have to live with or trade, or that he'll rebound a la DelZ and Gabby?

As for trading, I don't move Dubinsky for Nash, but Consider it for Ryan.

Or MSL.
I don't think he's going to rebound into what I THOUGHT he could do. I maintained over last off-season he could hit 60 points with BR and Cally. After this season I don't think we'll get that.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

The Rangers aren't in a position to move Dubinsky for depth reasons at the moment. They traded their utility faceoff guy (EC), and they would need to bring in a center who can kill penalties and take faceoffs. Right now, the centers of their top two lines, Richards and Stepan, don't need to kill penalties unless Boyle or Dubi is unavailable. Allowing the top two centers to rest during the PK really helps out their even strength play. Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik is usually rested and able to pick up the game as soon as they get back to even strength, and Richards and Hagelin don't spend much time PKing either (Hagelin has two SHG in ~15 mins of SH TOI). The ability to rest most of their top offensive threats when they're shorthanded is a huge benefit to their even strength play.

If they did want to move Dubinsky, they'd have to pick up someone like Gaustad or Plex, and either of those guys would be pretty good to have anyway.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote