HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash Rumours VIII: Nash-ing out the final details

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
UlfNilsson

vCash: 500
Thank you, Slats! THANK YOU!

The Rangers made bonehead moves year after year. I have seen one Cup in my lifetime, as have the vast majority of Ranger fans. For years, especially when the Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons, true fans were begging Rangers management to build from within. It took a few seasons, but the Rangers are now true contenders for the Cup. All done by building from within, being patient, excellent scouting, and signing UFAs only when/where needed.

Nash? Callahan has better stats and isn't getting $7.8 until the end of time. Definitely not worth what that fool Howson was asking for. So thankful that our two best young defensemen are still with the team, along with our top prospect and a future first rounder.

This team may not win the Cup this season - but they have a good chance. And this chance gets better each season with Kreider, Erixon, etc. in the mix. STAY THE COURSE.

Thanks again, Slats. You've redeemed yourself over the past few seasons.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Howson's job isn't to appease the NY fans. He can ask for whatever he wants and if you don't like it, don't accept.

If you were a Columbus fan and he traded Nash for ****, you'd all be pretty pissed.
Not sure if I'm a rebuilding team and I enter the offseason with Dubinsky, Erixon/McIraith, Thomas and a first round pick along with the likely #1 pick overall is ****.

They get a defenseman who steps right in to their top 6, a second line center/wing, a prospect who's done nothing but score in juniors and a first round pick. Oh and capspace. For a guy who likely is not in the future plans of the organization and who you have told as much. Not a terrible way to begin building a core.

02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Howson DOES NOT have to pull the trigger. He has all the leverage in the world. He has all offseason to move Nash if he really wants to.
Nash has a NMC...Howson has no leverage,

Old
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Howson's playing the game.

in asking for more today he's trying to get Sather thinking that someone is out there willing to beat or match Sather's offer with more of what he (Howson) needs.

It's a ploy that I use on a regular basis when selling construction equipment.

It actually works.
Oh, I'm familiar with that move.

It's very effective when you have an actual auction going on. It doesn't work when the other guy knows he's in a one horse race. In fact, unfortunately, it frequently backfires with the other guy saying "um, yeah, well I'm now willing to give you 80% of what I had on the table."

EDIT: actually, the way it usually happens is that the other guy says "I'm out" and then the idiot who raised the price has to come crawling back to even re-engage. That's when the 80% offer gets made. Looks like Slats has already told him to pound sand.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 02-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old
02-26-2012, 06:11 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Nash has a NMC...Howson has no leverage,
And Nash is clearly willing to waive it, lol.

Are you implying that Nash will only waive it now, but never in the future?

Old
sexton11

Yeaaaah... thats not gonna work....

What a total botch job by Howson, I really wanted Nash but im seriously laughing right now.

Funny jokes are funny

Old
Robs789

I know this isnt over but i have gained alot of respect for Sather through this whole debacle. He's been sturn in not giving up our backbone players.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
83lastUsee
CmotherfnK

With the way this team is developing ,its youth, the city, the IDENTITY, the winning mentality, this is going to be the team that other players want to play for , in the past its the crazy $ we can offer but now its going to be because you want to be invovled in something very special that is happening now and for the years to come

Old
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
ok i don't see any other thread to post this so i'll post it here. Rangers need need need

scoring. Sather can back away from Nash but i think he should use that package for

someone else. (Brown) tweaking the players and picks a little. All this silence is worrying

me. This has to be the quietest deadline i can remember.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:15 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

So glad our GM isn't mentally challenged. No way in HELL do we give up this much of our future for a 7.8 mil cap hit.

First place speaks volumes. Keep everything intact and don't rip apart the organization. The only moves I really wanted have been fulfilled - getting rid of EC and Wolski. Dustin Brown would be a nicer, cheaper alternative to Nash, but it's by no means a necessity.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfNilsson View Post
Thank you, Slats! THANK YOU!

The Rangers made bonehead moves year after year. I have seen one Cup in my lifetime, as have the vast majority of Ranger fans. For years, especially when the Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons, true fans were begging Rangers management to build from within. It took a few seasons, but the Rangers are now true contenders for the Cup. All done by building from within, being patient, excellent scouting, and signing UFAs only when/where needed.

Nash? Callahan has better stats and isn't getting $7.8 until the end of time. Definitely not worth what that fool Howson was asking for. So thankful that our two best young defensemen are still with the team, along with our top prospect and a future first rounder.

This team may not win the Cup this season - but they have a good chance. And this chance gets better each season with Kreider, Erixon, etc. in the mix. STAY THE COURSE.

Thanks again, Slats. You've redeemed yourself over the past few seasons.
I agree completely. This may not be our year to go the distance, but we've certainly got about as good a shot as anyone. The best part is that we should be better next year and the year after that.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam94 View Post
So glad our GM isn't mentally challenged. No way in HELL do we give up this much of our future for a 7.8 mil cap hit.

First place speaks volumes. Keep everything intact and don't rip apart the organization. The only moves I really wanted have been fulfilled - getting rid of EC and Wolski. Dustin Brown would be a nicer, cheaper alternative to Nash, but it's by no means a necessity.
And after the effort he put forth yesterday, probably by no means available.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I'll consider this fiasco over at 3pm tomorrow. Until then I'm checkin out.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Howson's playing the game.

in asking for more today he's trying to get Sather thinking that someone is out there willing to beat or match Sather's offer with more of what he (Howson) needs.

It's a ploy that I use on a regular basis when selling construction equipment.

It actually works.
How do you apply it when selling construction equipment?

Old
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
And after the effort he put forth yesterday, probably by no means available.
He wasn't even on the market a whole 24 hours.

Old
dccuse

Not trading for Nash or a similar offensive player is a tremendous organizational vote of confidence in CK.

The way I see it, 7.8 million more to go after Shea weber with

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree completely. This may not be our year to go the distance, but we've certainly got about as good a shot as anyone. The best part is that we should be better next year and the year after that.
Eh, we have "as good a shot" if we can trade for a scorer. We absolutely have to have one.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:19 PM
sexton11

Jarome Iginla?

Old
02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Coming up next:

Nash thread IX: Rangers Nash-ing Out?

Old
02-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Apparently the Rangers out of the race for Nash

Old
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eh, we have "as good a shot" if we can trade for a scorer. We absolutely have to have one.
I agree that we could use one. But what's to say Dubinsky or Richards or someone else doesn't find their scoring touch? It's impossible to know for sure what will happen. But yes, more scoring certainly couldn't hurt this team. I guess I'm saying that I'm ready to go to war with what we've got even knowing that it won't be easy...or probable.

Old
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
Jarome Iginla?
I was listening to Fan590 yesterday. They will not be trading Iginla or Kiprusoff and do a "total rebuild". That's coming down from the owners.

Old
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
Jarome Iginla?

Only if he's a + on his faceoff. %

Old
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Bold strategy cotton. Lets see how it works out for them.
Hahaha best movie.

Quote:
Howson DOES NOT have to pull the trigger. He has all the leverage in the world. He has all offseason to move Nash if he really wants to.
You're right he doesn't have to, he could just keep losing more and more value on his star player, have it be more of a distraction with it being known that Nash wants out, and have other general managers focus their attention on other players, most notably free agents that they don't have to give up prospects for.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-go-to-rangers

Howson won't budge on the MDZ/McD/Stepan front. This guy is going to have a wakeup call in the offseason....if he's still there.
Yeah...here's how that call is going to go. "Scott...please meet me in your office this morning and bring a box for your stuff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
That's exactly what it is. This is classic Sather, we're talking about a veteran here, this isn't his first big fish. If Howson is truly demanding that extra young-star player like MDZ, Couture, and Ellis, no one is going to give in. Sather is letting Howson find that out for himself, then he'll sweep back in with a final offer for Scotty to weigh his options with.
If you are talking about Ryan Ellis, there's ample evidence that Nashville would include him in an offer however Nashville isn't on Nash's list.

And one caution to Ranger Nation...At some point there's going to be a 3-1, 4-1 trade to bring in a high end asset. Don't know where or when (probably not tomorrow) but be ready for it. It's coming. And it may not look pretty at first blush.

Closed Thread