HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Goalies

Old
02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Keeping Couturier down in Jr. just to delay his ELC is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

He MADE the team. Flat out came to camp and made the team. He'd dominated the Q for 2 straight years, he had nothing much to gain with another year of Jr. except some weight. I was in favour of sending him down before camp, but he made the top 12 so he'd in.

Sending him down after he made the team just to save a contract year would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If Blair Betts had been healthy, he might've forced them to send Couts down, but I'm glad they didn't. He's going to be a much better player at 21 because he'll be in his 3rd season - and he already plays like a veteran.

Guys like Nodl are dime a dozen. He was never the same after his concussion and he wasn't going to be playing. Rinaldo and Harry Z (and Sestito and Wellwood for that matter) beat him out of a spot.
Sometimes you have to worry about seasons ahead a little bit as well. As I said, I think he should be on the team this year with the way he played in pre-season and the first nine games of the season. That doesn't mean that there's no weight to the other line of thinking however.

Sure, Couturier will earn some good experience from this season that he'll be able to draw on later on. Is it enough to outweigh the positives of having him signed to that ELC contract in his 22-23 season instead of his 21-22 season though, as well as him reaching UFA status a year later? Again, I think that Holmgren and the rest made the right decision in keeping him up in the NHL, but that doesn't mean that it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh, and Nödl is doing pretty well for himself in Carolina. He is still good old NoGoal, but he's playing a fairly vital part for them as a member of a very good checking line together with Sutter and Dwyer. The writing was on the wall for him with the way Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk had played, on that we agree and I don't think he would have necessarily finished the season with us even if he hadn't been waived. It would have been nice to get a pick out of him though, even if it would have just been a 5th round pick or something. He wouldn't have been waived if not Pronger had been injured imo. We needed a contract spot to give us some room to make a trade if necessary, but then Bourdon came up and played well enough to not force any panic moves. If not for that need, and knowing that Nödl would most likely be picked up, I'm fairly certain that Zolnierczyk would have been sent down that time instead. He definitely needs to work on his overall game before he is ready for a full time NHL spot.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
DarthYoda28

I think a pitch should be made to bring back emery. 600,000 could fit well with bryz still here. Offers some options.

DarthYoda28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
RECsGuy*

Bobrovsky

for

Giguere (15W-11L , 2.16 GAA , 92.25 SV% , 1 SO ; makes $1.25M/season through end of '12-'13 ; 34 y/o [younger than Thomas, Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, Vokoun, Brodeur, Theodore])

Any interest?

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Bobrovsky

for

Giguere (15W-11L , 2.16 GAA , 92.25 SV% , 1 SO ; makes $1.25M/season through end of '12-'13 ; 34 y/o [younger than Thomas, Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, Vokoun, Brodeur, Theodore])

Any interest?
To be honest, and I'm a guy who pretty much always values NHL players over picks, I'd rather just have draft picks for Bob. If it was Jiggy and a pick I'd be more interested, but I wouldn't really be interested in trading an asset like Bob for an aging backup goalie. If it was for a defenseman, that's another story, but backup goalies aren't that difficult to come by.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Bobrovsky

for

Any interest?
Straight up?

Absolutely not.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:53 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Why isn't there much talk about landing Nabokov? Is it just a general consensus that it's not going to happen? I don't see why that should be the case, and he's exactly the guy I'd like to pick up. Maybe he wouldn't want to waive his NTC to come here after not being able to work out a deal back in summer '10? I don't think that should matter too much, and as for him wanting to possibly go to a contender, are there even any teams substantially better than the Flyers looking to pick up a goalie right now? Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not sure there is.

Last thing I read on the Isles board is that Nabby is supposedly 50/50 right now on re-signing with them. I was very surprised to read that, wouldn't think he was considering that much at all. I wonder what it would take to land him and if he'd waive to come here. I think I'd be willing, whatever it is...can't be anything too crazy. And then you send Bob to start with the Phantoms, Nabby steals the starting role from Bryz in no time, and this team hopefully sees a major improvement in it's most flawed department.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Why isn't there much talk about landing Nabokov? Is it just a general consensus that it's not going to happen? I don't see why that should be the case, and he's exactly the guy I'd like to pick up. Maybe he wouldn't want to waive his NTC to come here after not being able to work out a deal back in summer '10? I don't think that should matter too much, and as for him wanting to possibly go to a contender, are there even any teams substantially better than the Flyers looking to pick up a goalie right now? Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not sure there is.

Last thing I read on the Isles board is that Nabby is supposedly 50/50 right now on re-signing with them. I was very surprised to read that, wouldn't think he was considering that much at all. I wonder what it would take to land him and if he'd waive to come here. I think I'd be willing, whatever it is...can't be anything too crazy. And then you send Bob to start with the Phantoms, Nabby steals the starting role from Bryz in no time, and this team hopefully sees a major improvement in it's most flawed department.
Islanders think they're in it. And they're tired of being sellers every year. They're 8 points behind Winnipeg with 3 games in hand, and three teams in front of them who look like they're sinking.

And you can't send Bob to the Phantoms.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Islanders think they're in it. And they're tired of being sellers every year. They're 8 points behind Winnipeg with 3 games in hand, and three teams in front of them who look like they're sinking.

And you can't send Bob to the Phantoms.
Ah, damn I hadn't realized they were as close in the race as they are. If that's truly their thinking, then I'd certainly get it...it's probably still a longshot that they make the play-offs, but I can see them being tired of being sellers, and if the 50/50 thing with Nabby re-signing is anywhere close to true, I can see that being enough added incentive to not move him and hope for the best.

As for Bob, **** would he have to pass through waivers and I didn't realize it? That whole thing really ain't happening then, haha.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well heres an article according to the 4th Period. Take it or leave it.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi120226.html

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers appear to be actively scouring the trade market for a No. 1 goaltender as the trade deadline inches closer, a source close to the situation told TFP.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been concerned with the play of goalies Ilya Bryzgalov and Sergei Bobrovsky, prompting him to search for a new netminder.
According to the source, the Flyers are willing to package Bobrovsky as part of a deal that could include left wing James van Riemsdyk, depending on the goalie.

The Flyers are believed to be eyeing Nikolai Khabibulin of the Edmonton Oilers, Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Colorado Avalanche and Ondrej Pavelec of the Winnipeg Jets.

Khabibulin and Giguere both have one-year remaining on their contracts beyond this season, while Pavelec can become a restricted free agent July 1.

It's unclear if the Jets are willing to part with Pavelec, as the team battles for a playoff spot, however GM Kevin Cheveldayoff's primary concern is building a long-term competitive team and could be persuaded into making a move depending on an offer.
Would love Pavelec but HIGHLY, and I mean, highly, doubt we can get him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM

I'd love to get Pavelec, he's a good goalie now and could be a great one. Only a $1.1m cap hit too.

Make it so.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
JVR21
G

There's no point in getting a new goalie if Bryzgalov is still going to be on the team.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Jtown

If we get a goalie it almost has to be a old goalie like giguere or nabokov.

A goalie with any sort of contract will hurt this team big time unless there is an amnesty coming up in the next cba

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I recall having the Giguere discussion last summer.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I recall having the Giguere discussion last summer.
Does it mean we are moving Bobrovsly?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
There's no point in getting a new goalie if Bryzgalov is still going to be on the team.

EXACTLY..

why package up bob, that still leaves us with the problem that IS Bryz.

ditch Bryz, take the beating, and move on...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
EXACTLY..

why package up bob, that still leaves us with the problem that IS Bryz.

ditch Bryz, take the beating, and move on...
As in buy him out?

What do you mean ditch him?

Convince him to go to KHL?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Oi, getting JS or Khabi would be a nightmare. End of the day, we still have Bryz, no use trading a possible replacement for 10+ years for one for one. Would just kill Bryz's confidence and leave us at a worse place than before. Just keep Bob, or trade him for picks/d help. Completely stupid move to trade for an aging goalie.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

JS actually has very very good numbers on an average Colorado team and an extremely low cap hit. We are stuck with Bryz, and his cap hit for at least a season or two more before any other team would be remotely interested and we are not going to buy him out lol that will never happen.

I am a big fan of Bob (I think he has potential and is still young not that I prefer him over Bryz, they have both had a rough year) but he is never going to get true starting time here. He is going to be a FA after next season and he will probably be moved next year anyway. So the question is why not get some value in return for him?

JS would be someone that knows there role as the backup and that there future here is uncertain but would be able to possibly start here given the season Bryz is having. He has the 7th best GAA in the NHL and a decent save % (both are miles better than either of our goalies and JS is playing on a much worse club).

We don't need a superstar goalie, we just need someone to play average and he is playing slightly above average so I would argue he would put our club in a better position to win than either goalie we currently have in net. If it doesn't work out his contract is up the same time as Bob's and his cap hit is low, very low risk potential good reward.

I wouldn't trade Bob straight up, that's not even close to being fair, but throw some picks back our way/mid level prospect and I would say why not?

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Go For It

I will throw a gigantic fit and single-handedly shut down HFBoards if we make a trade for a goalie.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
King Fish

I'd be fine with JS. I think people need to understand that just because we have Bryz signed to big money for a long time does not mean we should not get another goalie. If we stay with Bryz we will be playing from behind too much to to get out of the first round. The last 3 games were more of the same, early goals aloud and at least 2 softies every game. We need to make a big move to get a very good young goalie in here, Bryz will backup and Bob will be part of the deal. Say goodbye to JVR, Bob + in a deal to get a 25-28 year old goalie.
I think Vancouver would be ok with JVR in a package for Schneider!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well heres an article according to the 4th Period. Take it or leave it.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi120226.html

Would love Pavelec but HIGHLY, and I mean, highly, doubt we can get him.
I just read this too. While I am intrigued by getting a guy like Pavelec, it sounds like from the article Bob AND JvR would be involved. No way in hell would I do that straight up. The 'peg would have to add a lot more if they wanted both (as would the Isles or Avs if they were dealing us a goalie).

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
So if we went out and got a goalie, what happens to bryz?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:23 PM
MsWoof

I can't imagine Winnipeg would get rid of Pavelec. They're finally back in a playoff position with the Leafs and Caps slip sliding away so selling is a bad idea. I am not sure what Holmgren should do, I will be pissed if he gets rid of Bob. The only major problem we have in net is Bryz and unless he has a creative way of sending him somewhere, we're stuck between a rock and hard place. If anything, we need a couple of forwards who can block shots, play good defence and score the occasional goal. That would help with the shots on goal.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:42 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
This makes me sad.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I want them to trade for a goalie now just because I loathe some of you.

GM should be looking at all options. Clearly, netminding has been a problem. If you truly felt Giggy would be an upgrade, you move Bob.

Bryz = 5.6
Bob = 1.7

Bryz = 5.6
Giguere = 1.25

Where is the cap problem? I would make that Russian tub sit behind inexpensive goaltenders forever if it made the team better.

Know this. Snider will not watch Bryz for continual years stinking. Heavy amnesty clause push, buy-out, a trade. He won't be here if he continues this next year.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote