HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tweet by Armstrong's brother (Riley Armstrong)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
jersey last year?

HA I ONE UPPED YOU HURRRRRR
Stick with Wilson then till the end of 2013. Nobody will want to come here as an FA except for garbage like Connolly and Leafs will have this year and next to take advantage of their draft position to stock the farm even further. I certainly don't want him gone right now. Let the gong show continue I say.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Stick with Wilson then till the end of 2013. Nobody will want to come here as an FA except for garbage like Connolly and Leafs will have this year and next to take advantage of their draft position to stock the farm even further. I certainly don't want him gone right now. Let the gong show continue I say.
i never said to stick with wilson. i just commented on a logic fail.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
IWD

This idea that you need to suck it up and be a professional is ridiculous. This isn't a corporate environment, and these guys can make their money elsewhere in the league. People can complain about having to be motivated all they want, but the fact is that these guys still need motivating. Period. We can coulda shoulda woulda all day, but it won't change reality.

I don't feel like Wilson can do that for this group, anymore. I like what Burke has done for the team. A lot. But now he's becoming dangerously close to putting loyalty and friendship ahead of the team's best interests, in my opinion. I don't want Burke gone, but I'd cut my losses if he won't do what it takes.

Perhaps Nonis should take over, and leave Burke to the President position.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
i never said to stick with wilson. i just commented on a logic fail.
I don't want Wilson fired right now as I said. It wasn't a joke. I really do want to see Burke and him twisting in the wind as the Leafs plummet further down the standings. Let them defend their results. It's the only fair way to judge them not just because I and others feel they are both condescending and arrogant. Sometimes there "Ain't no substitute for arrogance" Just doesn't seem to be working here does it?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
BurnsBlue

Its not over till the fat lady sings...

*************MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE************************
Dear Leafs Nation,
I have been a Toronto Maple Leafs fan since 1985 from the age of 3. I have seen proud times, mediocre times, and just plain lousy. But folks, please. Some of you are starting to lose your minds. Part of me does not blame you, some of what we have witnessed lately could only be surmised as cruel and unusual. (even for leafs). This is a very young team as well. Those of you that suggest hockey players should coach themselves is almost as crazy as suggesting doctors just teach themselves. In theory this is more plausible as the average doctor should have to be of more sound reasoning then a hockey player? But i digress. We have some decent hockey players in this bunch. And some that never seem to be able to hit the ignition sequence so to say. There has been games this season though where we've all been smiling cheek to cheek at the display that was the blue and white ripping apart a so called 'playoff contender' team eg: TOR 7 WSH1, TOR 7 TBL 1 TOR 4 NYR 2 (twice) TOR 7 TBL 3 TOR 5 OTT 0
Suffice to say theres been quite a few games this year we looked like quite a dynamic bunch. The group right now is having a hard time getting the intensity level going, not everyones on the same page and you end up seeing plays fall apart without even opposition intervention. I think the trick for this group is simplify. Our plays are a little too prolonged and choreographed. When we use our speed and just plain out attack we have great results. Other teams are forced to play deeper instead of stopping every play in the neutral zone. Our forwards need to get their feet moving when the D have the puck. NJ executes this perfectly, the outlet passes are always hitting somewhere near the blue line, as opposed to the Leafs who always seem to want to midboard it then try and cross it over. Its pretty much down to Winnipeg/Florida/Toronto for the 8th spot. I like our chances at this. And then we get to play the New York Rangers. A team we have beaten several times already this year. Many of you want us to tank for a draft pick. I think securing that 8th spot will be a better confidence boost for the beginning of next year. Need to get the monkey off our back so to say. Anway, here we go....Good Luck and God Speed

TL/DR - GO LEAFS GO

Old
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
NHL players shouldn't need motivating.
Why? Are they superior human beings that don't have personal lives to deal with as well? Everyone in the world needs motivation, it can come from within or from the outside but when you have a young team like this one, then you better make damn sure the coach is motivating instead of ripping his team in the media 24/7.....

Old
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Missing the playoffs year after year ISN'T an issue? Really? Especially when MORE than 50% of the leagues teams make it every season. When teams with FAR fewer resources. Since WHEN isn't a coach responsible for his teams performance?

Your logic is seriously flawed. Losing is NOT acceptable in the world of professional sports. When a team loses repeatedly -- like the Leafs -- changes ARE made.

Burke is giving Leaf nation a big slap in the face here showing more loyalty to his friends than winning.
You can selectively bold the post to try and tailor it to fit your argument all you want, but it doesn't make your post accurate. All I'm saying his ability as a 'mid-game motivator' is a non-factor. I'd wager most coaches are pretty **** for that when goaltending just ***** the bed, even the ones that are winning -- maybe we can just give Wilson some barbeque sauce and have him drop f-bombs during the intermission and we'll see how that works out.

If you think there are problems with the system and we're exposing our goaltenders who are weak in several areas where other keepers are passable at worst, that's fine, and push for a change there (either Wilson changing systems or a new coach with a different system).

But please, don't act like we need some magical mystical motivator for a coach. The problems stem from our goaltending, and we either need better goaltending or a suitable system to insulate them and bump up (or even pad) their numbers so we can eke out some wins.

As for your other post, I think his career numbers have been deflated by his tenure with the Leafs, so maybe the Leafs are the problem with Ron Wilson. How's that spin taste?

Edit: Oh, also: who should we bring in to replace Ron Wilson? Who is a suitable 'motivator' and coaches a system that fits what our team actually needs and is currently available? Offer some suggestions.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

All this anger from a couple of tweets that Colby has nothing to do with?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
soft, pretty skating players.
Speaking of which, is Connolly going to see the press box any time soon? I'm sick of this guy quitting shift after shift.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
You can selectively bold the post to try and tailor it to fit your argument all you want, but it doesn't make your post accurate. All I'm saying his ability as a 'mid-game motivator' is a non-factor. I'd wager most coaches are pretty **** for that when goaltending just ***** the bed, even the ones that are winning -- maybe we can just give Wilson some barbeque sauce and have him drop f-bombs during the intermission and we'll see how that works out.

If you think there are problems with the system and we're exposing our goaltenders who are weak in several areas where other keepers are passable at worst, that's fine, and push for a change there (either Wilson changing systems or a new coach with a different system).

But please, don't act like we need some magical mystical motivator for a coach. The problems stem from our goaltending, and we either need better goaltending or a suitable system to insulate them and bump up (or even pad) their numbers so we can eke out some wins.

As for your other post, I think his career numbers have been deflated by his tenure with the Leafs, so maybe the Leafs are the problem with Ron Wilson. How's that spin taste?

Edit: Oh, also: who should we bring in to replace Ron Wilson? Who is a suitable 'motivator' and coaches a system that fits what our team actually needs and is currently available? Offer some suggestions.
I don't think it is all goaltending. The defensive coverage on the team is poor.
This run and gun system leads to 2 on 1, breakaways, has defenders pinching and requires a goalie to never make mistake.

A more conservative system would yield low quality scoring chances and would not magnify the "mistakes" most goaltenders make. That is, look at Smith or Bryz on Phoenix. And Bryz this year on up tempo Philly. All goalies (like players make mistakes) but under a good defensive system, the shot quality is poorer and mistakes less apparent. The alternative is we wait for a Cujo like outstanding goalie that plays well under 2 on 1 and never fault the coaches defensive strategy.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
Speaking of which, is Connolly going to see the press box any time soon? I'm sick of this guy quitting shift after shift.
Lombardi's efforts make Connolly look like the second coming of Gary Roberts and he hasn't seen the pressbox so I doubt Connolly will.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I don't think it is all goaltending. The defensive coverage on the team is poor.
This run and gun system leads to 2 on 1, breakaways, has defenders pinching and requires a goalie to never make mistake.

A more conservative system would yield low quality scoring chances and would not magnify the "mistakes" most goaltenders make. That is, look at Smith or Bryz on Phoenix. And Bryz this year on up tempo Philly. All goalies (like players make mistakes) but under a good defensive system, the shot quality is poorer and mistakes are less apparent.
Anyone remember the Senators game a few weeks back? Leafs defensive efforts kept all of those almost 50 shots to being from the perimeter. Too bad they couldn't have kept that type of play up.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post

A more conservative system would yield low quality scoring chances and would not magnify the "mistakes" most goaltenders make. That is, look at Smith or Bryz on Phoenix. And Bryz this year on up tempo Philly. All goalies (like players make mistakes) but under a good defensive system, the shot quality is poorer and mistakes are less apparent.
I don't disagree with your second paragraph, but the fact of the matter is that it seems nearly every turnover, odd-man rush, or pass from behind the net (especially the pass from behind the net) results in a goal. Amazingly, other goaltenders putting up middle-of-the-puck numbers don't seem to concede a goal as a matter of course in those situations against us when they come up.

So, not only do we have to require on our goaltender making a mistake, we have to have our forwards and D never make a mistake or encounter an odd bounce, because our goaltenders seem to always make mistakes when something that isn't a shot-from-the-outside happens.

I guess you could say that we expose our goaltenders to a higher volume of those, but my perception is that we only concede a higher volume of dangerous odd-man rushes.

We either need better goaltending, or we need a system that insulates and protects our goaltenders from these sorts of adversarial situations -- and hope they don't let in the 30' wristers, actually -- which can come from either a system change or a coaching + system change. It has nothing to do with motivating the team. The team always plays confident when they have faith in the goaltending, and falls apart when they don't.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Easier said than done. They're human after all.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
This team needs some kind of intense shake up to get going, but it could be too late, our play off odds have become pretty damn slim.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Deebo

I wish people would stop equating the NHL to a traditional workplace, it isn't the same.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
I don't disagree with your second paragraph, but the fact of the matter is that it seems nearly every turnover, odd-man rush, or pass from behind the net (especially the pass from behind the net) results in a goal. Amazingly, other goaltenders putting up middle-of-the-puck numbers don't seem to concede a goal as a matter of course in those situations against us when they come up.

So, not only do we have to require on our goaltender making a mistake, we have to have our forwards and D never make a mistake or encounter an odd bounce, because our goaltenders seem to always make mistakes when something that isn't a shot-from-the-outside happens.

I guess you could say that we expose our goaltenders to a higher volume of those, but my perception is that we only concede a higher volume of dangerous odd-man rushes.

We either need better goaltending, or we need a system that insulates and protects our goaltenders from these sorts of adversarial situations -- and hope they don't let in the 30' wristers, actually -- which can come from either a system change or a coaching + system change. It has nothing to do with motivating the team. The team always plays confident when they have faith in the goaltending, and falls apart when they don't.
I think this is chicken and egg. I agree if the team gets goaltending absent of the "softies" the team is more confident pinching, doesn't second guess themselves to chase the forward behind the net. Also, like Smith in PHX this season - he is not an elite goalie, but he is playing well this season because of the success he has had from the trap and coaching which gives him confidence.

Goalies need team to play well in front of them to gain confidence.
And team needs the goalie to play well for them to appear better.
And the coach is the one responsible for both goalie and the team.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:10 PM
UCLeafs*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
This. They are paid millions they should motivated to play every night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
If an NHL player needs a coach to motivate them, they aren't much of a professional.
I don't think you understand how athletes work. Or people in general.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLeafs View Post
I don't think you understand how athletes work. Or people in general.
Agree 100%, I can't believe how you people think teams don't need coaches or motivation. EVERY professional athlete has a coach to inspire and motivate them because sometimes doing the same **** day after day for your entire life becomes a challenge whether you make 50k a year or 500k a year. It's human nature...get over yourselves.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
GrizzLeaf

The onus is indeed on the players to find motivation. But the coaches have a duty to motivate them as well. That can be in a positive way, such as getting them pumped up for a game, and in a negative way, such as benchings and press box exiles. The coaches obviously aren't getting through.

As for the actual tweet. Colby should be pissed. That's his career his bro is playing with. GMs wont touch a player who has family that stick their noses where they don't belong. Although I agree with the message hehehe

Old
02-26-2012, 06:48 PM
catgoldfish

Well if we don't do something now are team is pretty much gonna look the same next season. With the 3rd line still under contract. The 1st and 4th line pretty much looking the same. The only line that may change is the second. Which is pretty sad because the second line most nights is good.

The defense and goaltending also looking the same. So:

Same Team
Same Coach
Same GM
Same result

Golfing in April.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Agree 100%, I can't believe how you people think teams don't need coaches or motivation. EVERY professional athlete has a coach to inspire and motivate them because sometimes doing the same **** day after day for your entire life becomes a challenge whether you make 50k a year or 500k a year. It's human nature...get over yourselves.

Seems like the bigger issue is that Wilson doesn't motivate the fans by yelling and carrying on like Torterella.

If you or anyone else knows of how Wilson deals with each of his players on a one on one basis and can cite examples of how he ruins their motivation, please post some examples.

But before you come up with the "under the bus" stuff, please ensure you know what motivates and doesn't motivate each of the players individually. Because, believe it or not, calling someone out, can be very motivating to a certain type of person.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Seems like the bigger issue is that Wilson doesn't motivate the fans by yelling and carrying on like Torterella.

If you or anyone else knows of how Wilson deals with each of his players on a one on one basis and can cite examples of how he ruins their motivation, please post some examples.

But before you come up with the "under the bus" stuff, please ensure you know what motivates and doesn't motivate each of the players individually. Because, believe it or not, calling someone out, can be very motivating to a certain type of person.
"me and ron, don't really talk"

Old
02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Jaqen

A big gigantic LOL directed at those who think it isn't Wilson's job or responsibility to motivate his players. I mean, are you kidding me?

Old
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
A big gigantic LOL directed at those who think it isn't Wilson's job or responsibility to motivate his players. I mean, are you kidding me?
The more important thing to take note of is that it isn't the sole responsibility of Wilson alone to provide all the motivation needed for this team, they have to be able to motivate themselves to some degree. It's not even worth laughing at those who miss this much more evident point, you guys are too pathetic to laugh at.

Closed Thread