HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't think he's going to rebound into what I THOUGHT he could do. I maintained over last off-season he could hit 60 points with BR and Cally. After this season I don't think we'll get that.
I still think he can. I think in the 50's is more likely, but both he and Richards are having off years. The only one thriving out of the bunch is the Captain.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I still think he can. I think in the 50's is more likely, but both he and Richards are having off years. The only one thriving out of the bunch is the Captain.
If he's not traded, I have one more season to see what he'll do. If he follows this year up with another sub 50 point effort, i'm done with the guy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
If he's not traded, I have one more season to see what he'll do. If he follows this year up with another sub 50 point effort, i'm done with the guy.
Reasonable, and similar to Gaborik (and to a lesser degree, DZ). Has a career year, then a slump. We expect a bounce back. Some guys do, some guys put up a big year or two and fade away (Wolski).

I hope we get to see the bounce back.

Old
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I agree that Dubi is just having a bad year and will get better, but I also don't think he's untouchable. I'm more concerned about losing DZ for Nash

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
I agree that Dubi is just having a bad year and will get better, but I also don't think he's untouchable. I'm more concerned about losing DZ for Nash
Rest easy, friend. Dizzy is off the table. He was never there to begin with.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
The problem with that is, one year is looked at by other teams as a down, or off year, his value is lower, but not at an all-time low. He can still be traded and teams will be confident in the player they're getting.

If this is the same Dubinsky next year, his value drops significantly, imo.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Leetch66

I think Dubi could be very valuable in the playoffs but ONLY if he plays with some snarl in his game . He has to be more punishing and harder to play against if he is not going to score a lot . He has too many shifts these days where he just is invisible IMO . This guy has just too many assets to his game that are not being used enough . If he could even contain a guy like Malkin or get him off his game he would be a valuable piece for us without scoring !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
The problem with that is, one year is looked at by other teams as a down, or off year, his value is lower, but not at an all-time low. He can still be traded and teams will be confident in the player they're getting.

If this is the same Dubinsky next year, his value drops significantly, imo.
This is also incredibly true. It's a risk, as most things in the league are, and hopefully it's one that Torts and Slats have the inside scoop on.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
This is also incredibly true. It's a risk, as most things in the league are, and hopefully it's one that Torts and Slats have the inside scoop on.
It's a risk worth taking, though. I don't think the return for Dubinsky would be THAT much lower than it is now, and I think the odds are good that he'll bounce back.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
He shouldn't have held out during his contract year that one time when he missed training camp. Guarantee that was a factor in him not receiving a letter. As far as how that affects him mentally today? Don't care, but dude needs to pick it up if he expects to stick around past next year.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
I still love Dubisnky. He's having a down year. It happens. Look at Gaborik just last year. Dubinsky is a bonafide 20-40 kinda guy that is just struggling to put it in the net. His assists are fine, the rest of his game is fine, he's just being thrown under the bus for not scoring goals enough. This guy shows up in the playoffs though. All will be forgiven in the playoffs for Dubinsky.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Off years tend to happen. Patrick Marleau went from 78 points to 48 points in the years 06-07 and 07-08 while playing the same amount of games, and then came back to score 71 the next year.

This is not to say Dubinsky will start putting up Marleau-like numbers. A 30 point drop off for any player is substantial but it will not necessarily be reflective of the following year.

I think Dubi will bounce back next year with hopefully more consistent line mates. Most of his scoring problems this year were probably his own mental issues, and one could argue unlucky rebounds/deflections/ etc. as well.

Now, I know he was probably one of the only pieces of the Nash trade that Slats and Howson agreed upon moving, but maybe if we don't pull the trigger it will send Dubi a positive message that despite his name being thrown around we stuck with him. He was by no means the deal breaker in these negotiations, and I'm sure if CBJ didn't ask for as much as they did (MDZ/McD or Kreider) then the deal probably would have been made. But let's hope Dubi acknowledges this as our organization's commitment to our future plans, which clearly he is included in.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Riverdale

I still want Dubi around, he is having an off year. Hopefully he will rebound, I'm not giving up on him yet

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Blue Line Monster

I remember arguing on here this past offseason that he's pretty much a 40-45 point player that overachieved last year because of an insane amount of ice time that he wasn't likely to receive again. I still think that that will be the case for his career, and while I expect him to bounce back in terms of effectiveness on the ice and somewhat with his decision making, I don't really think he'll bounce back points wise and have the 60-70 point seasons some people were predicting after last season.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
district9

if dubinsky is still on this team after the trade deadline, how much of a confidence boost do you think that gives him? right now he's playing knowing that he's the center of trade talks for this team, and if they're not willing to give him up do you think he comes back like a ball of fire? even though in my last post i said next season is where you really have to look at him i think he could REALLY pick it up for the end of the season and playoffs this year as long as they keep him around.

if dustin brown is still on the table i say make a move that doesn't involve dubi, but i can't see how the rangers will fit what the kings want.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:41 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Ryan Callahan (although he played a couple games earlier in the year), got his first real call up to the Rangers on March 15th, 2007. Brandon Dubinsky got his first call up to the Rangers on March 8th, 2007. Not one skater from that 06-07 team remains in the Rangers organization outside of Dubi and Cally. These two are the epitome of everything that the organization has become; and they signaled the end of the high-priced star driven Rangers and the beginning of the successful team we are seeing today. Cally and Dubi have worked their ***** off to become a vital part of the Rangers' core, and I for one am not about to abandon one of our own just because he is struggling over the course of 75% of one regular season.

Give him time to work it out, and see what he does for this team in the postseason. Just don't want to see him go, yet.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I still love Dubisnky. He's having a down year. It happens. Look at Gaborik just last year. Dubinsky is a bonafide 20-40 kinda guy that is just struggling to put it in the net. His assists are fine, the rest of his game is fine, he's just being thrown under the bus for not scoring goals enough. This guy shows up in the playoffs though. All will be forgiven in the playoffs for Dubinsky.
The biggest difference for me is you know where Gaborik's peak is, relatively speaking. He can be a 40-40 guy at his best.

We're not really sure what Dubinsky's peak is unfortunately, the guy has never been consistent enough, and he's never had that breakout season to be the 30-30 guy everyone is hoping for. Let alone do it consistently. Hell at this point most of us would settle for 20-30 or similar if he does it every year. The guy has only eclipsed 50 points once, and that was last year. He comes off a career-high contract year and stops scoring goals.

It's obvious this is a down year, but what is an average year for Dubinsky? I don't think we really know yet. That's a problem at this point. I just want to know what we're supposed to be getting. Was last year a fluke, or will that be the norm?

Old
02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
I remember arguing on here this past offseason that he's pretty much a 40-45 point player that overachieved last year because of an insane amount of ice time that he wasn't likely to receive again. I still think that that will be the case for his career, and while I expect him to bounce back in terms of effectiveness on the ice and somewhat with his decision making, I don't really think he'll bounce back points wise and have the 60-70 point seasons some people were predicting after last season.
I agree 100%, and this is basically what I was getting at with my last post. I think people have too high of expectations for him now, and it might be better to unload him with higher value, rather than be stuck with a 40 point average 3rd liner.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Down year. I don't see it as anything more. He raised expectations last year and then cashed in, so naturally people are going to give him **** for not producing at the level for which he is paid. I think he bounces back at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
if dubinsky is still on this team after the trade deadline, how much of a confidence boost do you think that gives him? right now he's playing knowing that he's the center of trade talks for this team, and if they're not willing to give him up do you think he comes back like a ball of fire? even though in my last post i said next season is where you really have to look at him i think he could REALLY pick it up for the end of the season and playoffs this year as long as they keep him around.

if dustin brown is still on the table i say make a move that doesn't involve dubi, but i can't see how the rangers will fit what the kings want.
If Dubinsky spends anytime reading all the trade rumors and twitter nonsense from the past week, he's going to know it wasn't him holding up any trades, it was guys like MDZ/McD.

He'll be happy he wasn't traded sure, but he won't have confidence that he is not considered expendable by this organization. I sure wouldn't.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I am not ready to give up on Dubinsky. Players have off years, and then they rebound. If this board dictated which players were still on the team, and which were not, I'm pretty sure every player would have been traded 10 times by now, including Lundqvist. Last season everyone wanted Del Zotto's head...last year people were saying "Gaborik has played his last game as a Ranger"....people were willing to trade Callahan because his was presumed to have hands of stone (I remember a quote with this exact words).

Dubinsky is not a superstar, but he will rebound, just like Gaborik, Callahan, Del Zotto, and every other player we've had that have rebounded. If we trade him for Nash, depending on the entire deal, I can live with it. However, I am NOT ready to merely dump him. He is still an important part of the core, despite his struggles. Has he regressed this year? Obviously, yes. However, one off-season does not mean his career is over and he's done. He still can be effective 2nd liner I believe, and I will be pissed if we dump him.

To me, he embodies a lot of the good things the Rangers do...stand up for themselves and each other, give up the body, back check, and pester the other team. If he remains on the team and has a good end to the season and a good playoffs, this blip on the radar will be forgotten. One 60 game stretch of his so far decent career (despite the fact he hasn't become a 1st liner) is not enough for me to write him off as a bust. No impulsive decisions...that's why we're now a Stanley Cup contender.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He seems slower and inept offensively. The only thing he has provided this season is good penalty killing and the occasional forecheck.

I don't know what it is, whether it be the trade rumours, the new contract, or a lack of conditioning in the offseason, but whatever it is, he needs to find his game, or he'll be on his way out in my opinion. And, at this point, although he embodies what the Rangers stand for when he's on his game, I would not be hurt by it at all. It's getting painful watching him play.

That's my guess.

He's looked like crap since camp. Telltale sign of a lazy offseason is looking slow and disinterested in camp.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

I'm not going to speculate on his mental state or his offseason preparation, because i don't know him personally. All I can say is that consistency is a rare trait for players 25 and under. Production can be up and down. I'm ok with chalking the year up as a down year for him so far.

But the playoffs represent a new chance for Dubi. You just need players to step up. High character players willing to put their bodies on the line and do everything it takes usually shine in the playoffs. Why do you think Ruslan Fedotenko finds work? His regular season work is nothing special, but he rises to the occasion when his team needs him. If we're gonna have a run, i think Dubinsky will be a big part of it.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:52 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
He's been disappointing for sure and I really can't figure it out like most of you. In my opinion, it's a combination of many things: looking a step slower than normal, the mentality of consistently being on the trading block, and bad luck--both with who he is playing with, ice time and the fact that he can't catch a break and put in a bad goal and get going. Much like Boyle, but Boyle obviously isn't supposed to be the piece Dubi is.

I don't know him personally so I won't pretend to know this for sure, but don't kid yourself about how much he cares about the organization and the guys. The fact that he is underachieving is more than likely having an effect on his play psychologically , and how blatantly the front office sees him as dispensable is no doubt a reason as well.

If he gets dealt in the next 18 hours I'll definitely miss him out there as a core Ranger, but that's not the reason I hope he doesn't get traded. I really think the guy will be an important player in the playoffs and step up his game without the distractions anymore. He's a top 5 important piece for the team mentality, and I think he's going to do some stuff in the playoffs we're used to seeing with a spark under his ass from all this.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He seems a lot slower on the ice, skating wise.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote