HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 4-2 to Florida

Old
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I pick 6'3' center Radek Faksa, Bob Mckenzie he could be this years version of Huberdeau, fast rising draft pick. Of course Grigorenko is number one if EDM takes a defenceman
Ya Faska is a interesting prospect, I'm hoping Montreal can fetch another first rounder that COULD allow Montreal to draft both Alex Galchenyuk and Faska.

Plekanec and AK to Columbus for Brassard and LA's 1st?

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I actually prefer the Sens way. They didn't trade Spezza for prospects and picks when he put up back to back 57 point seasons. They didn't trade Alfredsson because he's old. Their way wasn't perfect but it wasn't a full fledged long term tank some people are proposing.
No waht they are doing is what we did in the years when we drafted Higgins and Komisarek, the half ass rebuild, and we know what results that gave us. Trying to make the playoff while rebuilding does not work. Ask us and ask Toronto

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Ya Faska is a interesting prospect, I'm hoping Montreal can fetch another first rounder that COULD allow Montreal to draft both Alex Galchenyuk and Faska.

The value is there and then some for us but Columbus would never accept that trade because they're not the droids they are looking for.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
In Carbonneau's defense, the team he rode to the unlikely 1st place/2nd most goals for was way less talented than the team today.
That team was all special teams and goaltending and was awful at evens, in no small part because Carbo thought Tom Kostopoulos was more deserving of 5 on 5 ice time than Alex Tanguay.

Even discounting that they were a weak possession club and most of their PP success was luck driven, there are fewer PPs this year than back then, reducing the value of superlative special teams.

AHL graduates aren't all gonna suck. Just need to find a guy who understand and preaches puck possession at even strength. It'd probably be a good idea to avoid ex-grinders who probably think the game on that level. Someone like Boucher, a career coach with an education and no real player experience, is probably the best bet.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

Faksa will go top 10 if not top 5

Old
02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Roke

Quote:
No waht they are doing is what we did in the years when we drafted Higgins and Komisarek, the half ass rebuild, and we know what results that gave us. Trying to make the playoff while rebuilding does not work. Ask us and ask Toronto
Boston didn't do too badly after drafting 5th in 2006 and they managed to do it when getting nothing in return for trading Thornton that season.

That team didn't have much moving forward. Bergeron, Brad Boyes, and Tim Thomas were really the only pieces they had that played roles going forward in either acquiring talent or playing for the team last season.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
JetsFan815

Horrible game by the Habs. Florida was a tired team playing a back to back game after a tough OT game last night against the Canes. Yet they manage to out-hustle the habs. Very disappointed.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Horrible game by the Habs. Florida was a tired team playing a back to back game after a tough OT game last night against the Canes. Yet they manage to out-hustle the habs. Very disappointed.
You're welcome, now scooter out.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The value is there and then some for us but Columbus would never accept that trade because they're not the droids they are looking for.
Funny I thought it was highway robbery for the Jackets. A draft bust and a bag of magic beans who's unlikely to net a significant NHLer let alone a player of Plekanec's caliber for one of the league's better tough-minutes two-way centers and an extra NHLer to boot? Montreal gets fleeced.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
H V Derk

-been lurking 'round these here parks for years

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting for the first time because I feel the end is officially upon us! And I am glad. I'm excited. I've open my arms wide to embrace what should be the purging of this long standing non-competitive team. For once I need to stand on a soap box and ramble to the passerby's.
Tonight feels like Christmas eve.

Here's my headline tailored for us Habs fans:
'The Great Escape: Habs play dead, Panthers eat to heart's content.'

I ask you all why you are a fan of this team. Is it location? A draw from the hat? Probably not. Likely you were born into it. Yes- most of us had no choice. Yet most of us wouldn't dare to have it any other way because this is Les Glorieux. The passion we the fans create is unreal, the history of this team is unmatched by nearly any other in every other sports league in the world and how can we not be enthralled by it? We are not mere fans of a sport, we are religious fanatics.

But for years the weight of the past and our emotional connection has compromised the abilities of our team. They are distractions from building new generations of legacies and awe inspiring moments. I for one am tired of being the past dynasty. I want it for my life time.

The distractions beyond WINNING have to end. Tonight.
I am tired of the drama that is created out of the rink that we eat up like reality tv.
I am tired of players excelling elsewhere where they can focus on their tasks and of new players slumping here because of the unnecessary pressures.
We need to realize the new environment of the league, and of our unique environment so that we can be the best once again.

And so I'm excited because tonight could mark the beginning of a great change. One in which the team is not under the whimsical influences of the attention seeking media or us emotional fans, but rather is focused on winning. It is the greatest moment for new ideas and leadership.

I hope it is realized. That soon we'll see a team, from the owner to the stick boys, intent on one thing and one thing only. That soon again we'll have legendary players and coaches and general managers and the best team in hockey.

Maybe again? Or did we all inherit statues and plaques?

H V Derk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Boston didn't do too badly after drafting 5th in 2006 and they managed to do it when getting nothing in return for trading Thornton that season.

That team didn't have much moving forward. Bergeron, Brad Boyes, and Tim Thomas were really the only pieces they had that played roles going forward in either acquiring talent or playing for the team last season.
Waht turned Boston around was the signing of Zdeno Chara, can we sign a top guy like that as a FA? Havent seen that ever in Montréal. We get the second tier free agents.

Old
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Funny I thought it was highway robbery for the Jackets. A draft bust and a bag of magic beans who's unlikely to net a significant NHLer let alone a player of Plekanec's caliber for one of the league's better tough-minutes two-way centers and an extra NHLer to boot? Montreal gets fleeced.
the only player i want back if plek is moved is a legit first liner/game breaker named radulov. Nothing else. And before ppl say lazy russian etc...that guy won the memorial cup and was the mvp, putting a record of goals in the playoffs or something like that. I want this guy with the habs but i know its too much to ask, Nashville can't be willing to trade him.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Waht turned Boston around was the signing of Zdeno Chara, can we sign a top guy like that as a FA? Havent seen that ever in Montréal. We get the second tier free agents.
Uh no...it was good coaching and a clear philosphy. Oh and team work. Having Chara made them better, but he was not the reason for their "surge".

It was departing from the Joe Thornton era. Everyone thought this was a horrible thing (the trade was not particularly good), but fast forward a couple years later and they have a cup to show for it. Thornton never gave them that....and look at the Sharks...Thornton and no cup...

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Roke

Quote:
Dumping Gomez and Kaberle would mean there would be money to do it. If the organization had credible management (Which it desperately needs right now) I think it's possible with the cash to splash. There needs to be a new, credible, experienced (at least at the assistant level with an elite team) GM to sell it though.

I was shocked when the team managed to sign Cole last summer. He's not premier like a Suter or a Chara but I thought he was the 3rd-best free agent available last summer and didn't have the Habs coming close to signing him.

The farm's looking good on the back-end, there should be an elite prospect coming in the draft, and there's a number of young players progressing with the big team already (Pacioretty and Subban are pretty damn special). Contention isn't going to happen with a fool at the helm or behind the bench but if the right moves are made there I don't think it's too far off.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
the only player i want back if plek is moved is a legit first liner/game breaker named radulov.
I'm not sure the player you named fits the description.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not sure the player you named fits the description.
lol you've never seen him play to say this. Radu is everything about explosiveness and game changing efforts.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
lol you've never seen him play to say this. Radu is everything about explosiveness and game changing efforts.
Sure, but that doesn't make him a first line game breaker. He's a guy who hasn't played in the NHL in years.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Et le But

Trade Plekanec for a guy who ran away from the NHL a few years ago and will only come back if everything goes right for him?

Wow, now I've heard everything.

Maybe we should just disband the Habs and move the Remparts to Montreal.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Dumping Gomez and Kaberle would mean there would be money to do it. If the organization had credible management (Which it desperately needs right now) I think it's possible with the cash to splash. There needs to be a new, credible, experienced (at least at the assistant level with an elite team) GM to sell it though.

I was shocked when the team managed to sign Cole last summer. He's not premier like a Suter or a Chara but I thought he was the 3rd-best free agent available last summer and didn't have the Habs coming close to signing him.

The farm's looking good on the back-end, there should be an elite prospect coming in the draft, and there's a number of young players progressing with the big team already (Pacioretty and Subban are pretty damn special). Contention isn't going to happen with a fool at the helm or behind the bench but if the right moves are made there I don't think it's too far off.
Those big name free agents are not signing in Montreal

Old
02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Trade Plekanec for a guy who ran away from the NHL a few years ago and will only come back if everything goes right for him?

Wow, now I've heard everything.

Maybe we should just disband the Habs and move the Remparts to Montreal.
Russian kid going back home =/ Russian man ready to come back in the Nhl. And for the guy saying he plays in the Khl, please take a look at how jarg is playing and notice how Radulov is/was better than him in that league. Haters mad atm because of the game. I will leave and hope for the best.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
But, but... it was all Jacques Martin's fault!

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Russian kid going back home =/ Russian man ready to come back in the Nhl. And for the guy saying he plays in the Khl, please take a look at how jarg is playing and notice how Radulov is/was better than him in that league. Haters mad atm because of the game. I will leave and hope for the best.
I think Radulov is a very good player, but game breaker? I rate the KHL pretty highly and I don't think he will be nearly as dominant in the NHL.

Trading Plekanec for the rights of a player who might come here if he feels like it, and will be looking to get paid?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
habitue*

Our dysfunctional team is losing ugly.

How will they be able to play with each other for the rest of the season ? Someone is gonna get killed.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
In Carbonneau's defense, the team he rode to the unlikely 1st place/2nd most goals for was way less talented than the team today. And he's not a rookie coach like Cunneyworth, and he's probably learned a thing or two since his first stint - which wasn't so bad in my opinion because his 3rd D-pairing was friggin Bouillion-Dandenault.

I doubt he comes back though.

An AHL call-up would be fine if it weren't for the fact that Cunneyworth was one of the top coaching prospects in the league and he's shown to be inept in almost every way.
You seem to have forgotten how lucky the Habs were that year. A number of top contenders in the East were beset with injuries while the Habs were relatively free from them. The Habs had to play 7 games against the 8th place Bruins and they they were easily downed by the Umbergers in the second round.

Another thing: Carbonneau didn't handle the young players particularly well, he turned off Ryder, and his glaring at the referees didn't help. Carbonneau was a clever, talented player but a wretched coach. It's ironic that Gainey extended his contract and then fired him. I would be disgusted if Carbonneau were rehired. I'd just as soon have Mario Tremlay (ugh).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by H V Derk View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting for the first time because I feel the end is officially upon us! And I am glad. I'm excited. I've open my arms wide to embrace what should be the purging of this long standing non-competitive team. For once I need to stand on a soap box and ramble to the passerby's.
Tonight feels like Christmas eve.

Here's my headline tailored for us Habs fans:
'The Great Escape: Habs play dead, Panthers eat to heart's content.'

I ask you all why you are a fan of this team. Is it location? A draw from the hat? Probably not. Likely you were born into it. Yes- most of us had no choice. Yet most of us wouldn't dare to have it any other way because this is Les Glorieux. The passion we the fans create is unreal, the history of this team is unmatched by nearly any other in every other sports league in the world and how can we not be enthralled by it? We are not mere fans of a sport, we are religious fanatics.

But for years the weight of the past and our emotional connection has compromised the abilities of our team. They are distractions from building new generations of legacies and awe inspiring moments. I for one am tired of being the past dynasty. I want it for my life time.

The distractions beyond WINNING have to end. Tonight.
I am tired of the drama that is created out of the rink that we eat up like reality tv.
I am tired of players excelling elsewhere where they can focus on their tasks and of new players slumping here because of the unnecessary pressures.
We need to realize the new environment of the league, and of our unique environment so that we can be the best once again.

And so I'm excited because tonight could mark the beginning of a great change. One in which the team is not under the whimsical influences of the attention seeking media or us emotional fans, but rather is focused on winning. It is the greatest moment for new ideas and leadership.

I hope it is realized. That soon we'll see a team, from the owner to the stick boys, intent on one thing and one thing only. That soon again we'll have legendary players and coaches and general managers and the best team in hockey.

Maybe again? Or did we all inherit statues and plaques?
I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. Very well said.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote