HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 500
Im guessing it has to do with mental issues. If he's still here after the deadline, put him with Cally and Richards, and leave him there. None of this 10 minutesnot going well BS. Leave him there for a few games to build chemistry.

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Im sick of his inconsistancy,year after year after year.But for some reason i have a soft spot for the kid.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Im sick of his inconsistancy,year after year after year.But for some reason i have a soft spot for the kid.
Not to be a dick, but there's some serious irony between the bolded and the underlined.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Not to be a dick, but there's some serious irony between the bolded and the underlined.
He is consistently inconsistent?

02-26-2012, 11:04 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Ryan Callahan (although he played a couple games earlier in the year), got his first real call up to the Rangers on March 15th, 2007. Brandon Dubinsky got his first call up to the Rangers on March 8th, 2007. Not one skater from that 06-07 team remains in the Rangers organization outside of Dubi and Cally. These two are the epitome of everything that the organization has become; and they signaled the end of the high-priced star driven Rangers and the beginning of the successful team we are seeing today. Cally and Dubi have worked their ***** off to become a vital part of the Rangers' core, and I for one am not about to abandon one of our own just because he is struggling over the course of 75% of one regular season.

Give him time to work it out, and see what he does for this team in the postseason. Just don't want to see him go, yet.

Agree 100% with this comment.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Affinity

Quote:
It's also wrong. I'd say 4 40+ point seasons is pretty consistent. Hell for all we know he could go on a tear down the stretch and still reach his normal output. I mean I guess that's inconsistency since it's scoring in bunches but that's just how some guys are.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

How many people in this thread wanted MDZ traded after last season? Players have off years. The only thing that has been lacking in Dubi's game is his finish. His best hockey is still ahead of him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
lbrowne

Say what you want, if we trade Dubi, we'll regret it at some point.

There's got to be a reason why in every trade rumor we hear about involving a significant player, the other teams want Dubi coming their way.

Why do people give up on our players so easily? One season folks. One.

I really think there would be a trickle down affect if he departs to the other remaining team members. We have a team with great chemistry right now, players that really battle for each other.

Plucking one of them out, especially a core player, could have serious effects to others mentally.

Please keep him.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post

There's got to be a reason why in every trade rumor we hear about involving a significant player, the other teams want Dubi coming their way.

I really think there would be a trickle down affect if he departs to the other remaining team members. We have a team with great chemistry right now, players that really battle for each other.

Plucking one of them out, especially a core player, could have serious effects to others mentally.

Please keep him.
Please explain to me how trading Dubinsky and getting Nash makes us regret it?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:01 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Please explain to me how trading Dubinsky and getting Nash makes us regret it?
Please explain to me how removing someone will simply not have any effect on the team chemistry?

If he goes, I hope I'm wrong. If it's for Nash I hope we're not here complaining about his 7.8 mil contract next season when he reaches 60 odd points again instead of us currently complaining about Dubi's first offensive down year at his currently salary which is about half of Nash's. Maybe you'll be the first one on that train.

For the record, I love Nash.

Last edited by lbrowne: 02-27-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: too many "I"s in I for the record, I love Nash. lol
Old
02-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post

Please keep him.
For the record Ryan Callahan agrees with you:

“Obviously we’ve won a lot of games this year, so this group’s doing pretty well,”

This was never just about losing Dubinsky, but yeah, that would suck all by itself.

Dave Maloney said last night that he's sure it's effecting the team. That they are an extremely tight group.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Aviary View Post
The amount of animosity towards Dubinsky and Richards is astounding. The Rangers are in first place by a longshot, but guys on the team aren't putting up certain statistics so they're whipping boys. Perhaps the Rangers should drop back to fourth place and crash the bandwagon so the Yankees fans stop shouting superstar names and short-sighted nonsense.
That's some racist **** right there

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:13 AM
eco's bones

Dubinsky has always played well for us in the playoffs and if he survives today I suspect his game might pick up. Whether he knows the deal breaker was MDZ, Kreider or whoever there's still going to be some relief--a chance to vindicate himself.

If he is traded there are going to be areas where he's going to be missed. On the penalty kill--grinding in the corners etc. He's a strong guy with some size and he hits quite a lot. Scoring or not he is a Tortorella kind of player--fits the mold of what it means to be a Ranger these days.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Fanned On It

Whoever said it brought up a good point... There's obviously a reason why other teams are asking for Dubinsky in trade proposals. I don't want to give up on the kid just yet. He just seriously needs to get out of his own head. He's lost his confidence, that's it, period. He's a good player, has the skill, he just needs to get his head straight.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's some racist **** right there
I don't see it. I completely agree. A lot of these idiots who don't want Nash will go back to their Giants and Yankees for their satisfaction when the Rangers are eliminated. Those of us who root for the Rangers first and foremost will be heartbroken because we lacked the offense to go deep into the playoffs. If the Rangers aren't your number one, you don't belong on these boards.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
I don't see it. I completely agree. A lot of these idiots who don't want Nash will go back to their Giants and Yankees for their satisfaction when the Rangers are eliminated. Those of us who root for the Rangers first and foremost will be heartbroken because we lacked the offense to go deep into the playoffs. If the Rangers aren't your number one, you don't belong on these boards.
How about 1A? Seeing as I started watching the Rangers around the same time I watched the Yankees (2005-06).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
so true. such a yankee fan mindset to go after all the big names. reminds me of an onion article about their recent trade with the mariners, "Seattle Mariners Hope Jesus Montero Can Get Good Enough To One Day Sign With Yankees"
LMAO at a fellow Rangers fan talking ********. The Shiny New Toy syndrome exhibited by members of this board is equaled only the Yankees. You should know better.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
I don't see it. I completely agree. A lot of these idiots who don't want Nash will go back to their Giants and Yankees for their satisfaction when the Rangers are eliminated. Those of us who root for the Rangers first and foremost will be heartbroken because traded a core member of the franchise and lost as a result. If the Rangers aren't your number one, you don't belong on these boards.
fixed

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:11 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
fixed
If Nash's hit was 5.5 or even 6,then i would be all for it...NYR gas the record they have for a reasin.i dont think giving pieces up for Nash will do anything for NYR all it might so is cause complications when its time to sign NYR's own F.A's....

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
This isn't about trade, or Rick Nash, or anything like that.

This summer, several hailed him as a potential 1st line winger, an irreplaceable part of this core, and a potential captain. He lead the team in point last season, and his defensively play is above average, even on a defensively obsessed Rangers team.

Fans of other teams hate him with a passion, as do the players on other teams, giving him the assets of an agitator with the potential of a high-end 2nd liner. And yet when a trade appears, his name is the first to appear, where once it was Girardi, and later Anisimov, and even Gaborik that was on everybody's "To go list".

So why has Brandon Dubinsky fallen out of favor? The obvious thing to point to is his goal total: a mere 6. His point total is sitting at 25. For comparison, his former line-mate and partner in crime Ryan Callahan has 24 goals, 45 points.

Granted, Cally is playing with Brad Richards, and 11 of those goals come via powerplay, but Dubinsky was given the same chance, even a chance to play with Gaborik and Stepan, and yet he's had massive difficultly producing.

Dubi has managed to throw 105 shots on goal, with only 6 becoming goals. Has he run into bad luck? Perhaps he's snake bit?

Personally, I think being looked over for the "A" made a difference. I hate how it sounds, but lets be honest, Dubinsky has shown some difficulty controlling his emotions, and when he's been with the team as long as our present captain, fulfilling much the same role, and working his heart half way to death trying to win a playoff round, it's easy to imagine he took it as a snub.

And now with the Nash rumors, he looks clearly disturbed on the ice. Each shift, he's like an employee on his first week of work, practically screaming "please don't fire (in this case, trade) me!".

That's my best guess. The goals he's scored have been beautiful, it's simply the rebounds, garbage goals and wide open nets that he hasn't been able to sink. I think if he stays (and I hope very deeply he's not traded off) that we'll see a return to 50 pt form, possibly even scratching at 60.

Also, I want to see what he can do with Hags at some point.

Note: this is not a "How to get Dubi going" thread. He's this year's Gaborik, but without the occasional hat-trick, but instead providing solid forechecking and defensive play. I'm interested to hear some of your analysis and hypothesizes.
I think the mindset of Rangers fans, or maybe just NY Sports fans is..."You're only as good as your last game"

It's pretty clear that Dubi has struggled this season. Footspeed I will agree with. He looks slower. He also seems to be out of position in the offensive zone. Last year he drove the net. He wanted the puck. He wanted to score. This year and only speaking in terms of offense, he is not the same player. Like a different mentality. It's defense first...always! But...still along the wall, and in his own end he is NOT a liability. He's just not the same guy. And...I actually agree with the posters that say the look on his face this year is different. He is struggling with something, and while I have zero inside knowledge of it firsthand to me it seems personal.

With that said...I thought for sure he would be moved at the deadline. I thought it would be for Carter. But for the record...I DONT want to see Dubinsky traded. I want to see the Rangers win it with him here. I think he deserves it maybe more so than alot of the current roster players.

When a player has a funk like this I think it's a 50% the job of the coach and 50% the job of the player to get him out of it and back in the game. To me Dubi is a guy that over the past three seasons has certainly proved that he is a tremendous player. I don't think he is only as good as his last game, or only as good as his point totals show this year. This kid has shown in the past that he simply has too much moxy to roll over and play dead. It's time he re-lit that fire under his own ass and started playing like the player he truly is. And for the Rangers with 20 something games left in the season, what a perfect time for him to get going.

One last thing...Even though he has started to fall out of favor here, he is still loved at the Garden.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
dfine06

I think after today if Dubi doesn't get traded he will pick back up. I feel like these trade talks are doing a number on him honestly. Well, maybe not pick back up because he hasn't done to well but at least try harder then it looks like he has.

I don't care what happens with the trades as long as we continue to look the same way we have all season and play hard. with or without nash or dubi.

dfine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:12 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Whoever said it brought up a good point... There's obviously a reason why other teams are asking for Dubinsky in trade proposals. I don't want to give up on the kid just yet. He just seriously needs to get out of his own head. He's lost his confidence, that's it, period. He's a good player, has the skill, he just needs to get his head straight.
Twas me and I stand by it. Keep the kid.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
They're asking for Dubinsky in part because they're being told Stepan, Callahan, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto and Kreider are unavailable.

02-27-2012, 09:25 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're asking for Dubinsky in part because they're being told Stepan, Callahan, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto and Kreider are unavailable.
Exactly.

And for those of you interested in discussing Dubinsky, the first thing you should do, IMO, is stop comparing him to Ryan Callahan. It's been years now since there was any reason to compare the two. Doing so only prevents objective analysis of Dubi himself.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Exactly.

And for those of you interested in discussing Dubinsky, the first thing you should do, IMO, is stop comparing him to Ryan Callahan. It's been years now since there was any reason to compare the two. Doing so only prevents objective analysis of Dubi himself.
I'll give you one season...Not years. Dubi had a good year last year. He was pretty close to Cally. This year Cally certainly has risen to another level. Dubi regressed.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Two thoughts when I think about trading Dubinsky. 1) Player progression isn't a linear path. 2) Nash doesn't drop the gloves and have a go with Tom Sestito.

For years I've watched the Rangers sell young players in favor of proven hi priced stars and for years I've watched a Ranger team that would get bullied, out worked physically, and quit when things were tough.

The Boston Bruins recently one a Stanley cup and they did so by being a dominant physical team, one that Vancouver couldn't content with. Only a few weeks ago, this Ranger team went to Boston and decisively beat that Boston team playing their own style.

When Tom Sestito tried to bully Brandon Dubinsky, He turned and looked at him as if to say "what are you going to do about it", Dubinsky stood to him with the the moxy and took him on. The courage that this team stands for. That this Ranger team is now the one that goes in and imposes their will and physically dominates and says "what are you going to do about it?"

If Marion Gaborik was this team's Captain then trading Dubinsky would be fine, but this Team's Captain is Ryan Callahan, it's identity is grit and sandpaper and Brandon Dubinsky fits that identity too well.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote