HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Boclair: Confirmed--Preds in the Nash sweeps

Old
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
FWIW, I was told tonight by a reputable media member that Nash will not go to Nashville. Equal parts Howson not trading him in division and Nash not waiving to come here. This person could be wrong, but he sounded pretty sure about it. Said that Poile's offer was more due diligence than anything.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
braindead

I'm going to stick a fork in this one (for me... others can hold out hope). It was fun to ponder for 24 hours though! Time to focus on just the trade thread.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
FWIW, I was told tonight by a reputable media member that Nash will not go to Nashville. Equal parts Howson not trading him in division and Nash not waiving to come here. This person could be wrong, but he sounded pretty sure about it. Said that Poile's offer was more due diligence than anything.
How the hell is that kind of offer just "due diligence"?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Extremely shrewd move by poile. Sincere, serious offer made. If accepted, great. If declined, still demonstrates our commitment to go big(assuming 6/20 accept that it was a sincere offer)

Meanwhile, poile is talking to other GMs, who, knowing we are in on Nash, can't assume poile is desperate and try to bend him over...

I just hope that Poile is executing the backup plan as we speakand by tomorrow we have one or two new Preds to welcome..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:35 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
The longer this thing runs on i am losing faith as well. Not sure why Poile would waste his time going for a big fish like that without back channel first to see if interest was there. Media was not on the Gill or Smithson trade at all. So.. We will find out.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:38 PM
KreamOfKrasov

Quote:
Sounds like speculation. If CLB wouldn't trade him to us in the first place, how would we even know of Nash's interest in waiving to come here? It doesn't seem like our chances right now are any worse than they've been. I think it's pretty clear that: 1. Nashville's offer is the only offer that CLB would accept at the moment and 2. Nashville isn't one of Nash's preferred destinations. If he would ever waive for Nashville, it would be at the last minute after none of the "listed" teams made an acceptable offer and he had to weigh hanging around for a rebuild in CLB or competing for a Cup in Nashville.

KreamOfKrasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM
predfan24

If Nash is firm about not going to any teams except the ones on his list I think he will suck it up for a few more months. He has already endured nearly a decade of CBJ ineptitude. I don't think another few months will kill him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
K3V1N

Rangers are out: http://mobile.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/...w-york-rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreamOfKrasov View Post
Sounds like speculation. If CLB wouldn't trade him to us in the first place, how would we even know of Nash's interest in waiving to come here? It doesn't seem like our chances right now are any worse than they've been. I think it's pretty clear that: 1. Nashville's offer is the only offer that CLB would accept at the moment and 2. Nashville isn't one of Nash's preferred destinations. If he would ever waive for Nashville, it would be at the last minute after none of the "listed" teams made an acceptable offer and he had to weigh hanging around for a rebuild in CLB or competing for a Cup in Nashville.

K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:42 AM
maplepred

If we are not one of Nash's teams he wants to play for, then he will not come here. He is signed long term so it's going to be one trade made hopefully where he finishes his contract out

I just can't see him wanting to come and compete for a cup with us this season if he doesn't want to give us any long term commitment with us.

maplepred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:56 AM
token grinder

I wonder if Poile can float that offer for a signed Parise. I know he is said to not be moved, but that is a pretty darn good package to give up. maybe swap out laakso with lindback and get hedberg with him. just food for thought

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

May I offer a small glimmer of hope?

Perhaps Howson is still waiting to see if he can get more? Come back later in the day and accept the deal a little bit later on in the morning. Perhaps if Howson comes to Nash this morning and says "you wanted to be traded, well I have a final deal for you or else you are staying here." Nash may reconsider.

I am not willing to close this book yet, but I think we only have a small chance of landing Nash.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
wadesworld

Telling Poile quote?

Quote:
“We certainly could use more depth on our forwards,” Poile said. “You talk two things: a higher-end deal for a top-six or top-nine forward, or you talk about your depth.”
Sure sounds like a hint to me.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Telling Poile quote?

Sure sounds like a hint to me.
Hinting at a bottom 6 imho

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
May I offer a small glimmer of hope?

Perhaps Howson is still waiting to see if he can get more? Come back later in the day and accept the deal a little bit later on in the morning. Perhaps if Howson comes to Nash this morning and says "you wanted to be traded, well I have a final deal for you or else you are staying here." Nash may reconsider.

I am not willing to close this book yet, but I think we only have a small chance of landing Nash.
thats obviosuly a conversation that will have to happen, assuming Howson would actually trade with us. personally, i think Howson has used our offer to drive up the price, and if he cant get that price from a team other than us, he will just hild Nash until the summer.

Poile, I am certain, is working on other deals, and I think he makes at least one and probably two deals today... but as long as he doesnt trade any of the pieces offered for Nash, that deal would presumably remain on the table.

im just ready for some answers..

Old
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM
token grinder

apparantly we have added lindback to the deal, which means we would probably take sanford back as well

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
MrJoshua

Wilson, Ellis, Laakso, Lindback and a 1st? Good grief. Surely that can't be right. That's THREE roster players (yes, I know Ellis was just sent down for a weekend, but I still consider him a roster player), a decent defensive prospect and a lower first-round pick. That's an insane return for one player. Especially considering that those three roster players are very young and have extremely high potential. Surely this is more of a pick-any-two type of deal, plus the pick.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Portline is saying it looks like Nash stays put for now.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cleangene

I think even if DP throws Sutes in there, (which he has every right to from what the reports are coming in about how he's gone anyway) it STILL doesn't get done. RICKY DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Wilson, Ellis, Laakso, Lindback and a 1st? Good grief. Surely that can't be right. That's THREE roster players (yes, I know Ellis was just sent down for a weekend, but I still consider him a roster player), a decent defensive prospect and a lower first-round pick. That's an insane return for one player. Especially considering that those three roster players are very young and have extremely high potential. Surely this is more of a pick-any-two type of deal, plus the pick.
I have no doubt its all of the above.

poile is making a bold, go-for-broke move.

if successful, it will be the defining moment of Poiles tenure as GM.

Old
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Ok, I'm putting my foot down if that's the offer. I love the aggressiveness by Poile if this is true, but let's slow down a bit here...lol

I do find it hard to believe that's entirely accurate though.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

we just got AK without giving up any of the rumored pieces offered for Nash... that probably means Poile will leave the Nash deal on the table all day, and pretty much gfuarantees that Nash goes nowhere if not here

Old
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
wadesworld

Just curious. What are your thoughts on why Nash would be adamant that he would not approve a deal to Nashville, if those rumors are true?

The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps he feels this is his best chance to get on a traditional power. But if that's the case, why would he have approved Toronto as rumored. Yes, they're a traditional power, but they're awful right now.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Just curious. What are your thoughts on why Nash would be adamant that he would not approve a deal to Nashville, if those rumors are true?

The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps he feels this is his best chance to get on a traditional power. But if that's the case, why would he have approved Toronto as rumored. Yes, they're a traditional power, but they're awful right now.
He grew up close to Toronto. Also, the next year is telling for the Preds as we could lose Suter and Weber for nothing. So we are hardly a proven commodity for the indefinite future.

He's played here plenty of times. He knows the town and the environment. If he's adamant about not coming to Nashville, I don't see his mind changing. Only scenario I can imagine that would change his mind is if Weber & Suter call him and tell him they'll sign and extension if he comes...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:

Because we're more then likely going to lose Suter and Weber; he's afraid of ending up in another Columbus situation.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

can't lose Weber for nothing next year.. He's RFA

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote