HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tony Marinaro: Molson calling the shots, Gauthier just a figurehead (Molson Denies)

Old
02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphabs View Post
Don't sweat it, they're just fleeing the late snow storm we got this week end.
Yea Baby Molson just wanted a vacation.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
This post pisses me off. The boards were nearly unanimously stoked on the new flashy roster we had. I would know because I was one of the most active posters during that summer. Yes, a few people questioned the Gomez trade, but you're being one hell of a Captain-Hindsight if you're calling that summer a "expletive-joke". That summer's acquisitions also got us to the Conference finals, and had it not been for a horribly unlucky Bruins team, we probably would have at least played for the cup. Remember that.

EDIT: Rich dudes flying to Florida when it;'s -25 and windy back home, because they fly for free and stay in the best hotels!

THE ROSTER IS GETTING FLIPPED.

sorry dude, but I think your wrong.

iirc, there was a pretty vocal group of posters who were very unhappy about the moves made that summer.

the Gomez trade was criticized by many, and to a lesser extend, there were several people that felt we overpaid on Gionta/Cammy/Spacek/Gill...

again, iirc, I'm pretty sure I was one of several posters who argued strongly that our roster was no better, just more expensive, and that Gainey was making a big mistake not using a more methodical approach to managing our "advantage" of having 11 UFA's and a ton of cap space opening up in the summer of 2009.

it's not hindsight, at the time it was pretty clear that we were taking a very expensive gamble, one that was both unnecessary (we could have iced a roster just as competitive by simply keeping the guys we had) and poorly thought out (replacing a "soft" roster by tying up ~22M$ on small and/or soft veterans).

the fluke EC finals run we made in the spring of 2010 "saved" Gainey (and those who believed in his moves from 2009) in the short-term, but reality was that our team was far closer to a playoff bubble "in on the last day" team, than a true contender... Cammy's 20% shooting & Halak's "can't lose when I face 40+ shots" bought Gainey's disaster of 2009 a bit of time, but eventually all the big moves from that summer proved disastrous (gomez, cammy, spacek, and to a lesser extent Gionta).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
sorry dude, but I think your wrong.

iirc, there was a pretty vocal group of posters who were very unhappy about the moves made that summer.

the Gomez trade was criticized by many, and to a lesser extend, there were several people that felt we overpaid on Gionta/Cammy/Spacek/Gill...

again, iirc, I'm pretty sure I was one of several posters who argued strongly that our roster was no better, just more expensive, and that Gainey was making a big mistake not using a more methodical approach to managing our "advantage" of having 11 UFA's and a ton of cap space opening up in the summer of 2009.

it's not hindsight, at the time it was pretty clear that we were taking a very expensive gamble, one that was both unnecessary (we could have iced a roster just as competitive by simply keeping the guys we had) and poorly thought out (replacing a "soft" roster by tying up ~22M$ on small and/or soft veterans).

the fluke EC finals run we made in the spring of 2010 "saved" Gainey (and those who believed in his moves from 2009) in the short-term, but reality was that our team was far closer to a playoff bubble "in on the last day" team, than a true contender... Cammy's 20% shooting & Halak's "can't lose when I face 40+ shots" bought Gainey's disaster of 2009 a bit of time, but eventually all the big moves from that summer proved disastrous (gomez, cammy, spacek, and to a lesser extent Gionta).
To be fair, we never really got to see that team play. I mean, since it was assembled, we really have not been spared of injuries. The biggest piece only got to play half a year. We had guys like Shawn Belle, JT Wyman, a none-ready MaxPac and DD, Stewart, Trotter, Maxwell. We didn't get to see the team that was assembled until late in the year and POs, but then we lost Markov again after 8games.
Same problem last year.

So ya, to be fair, we didn't really get to see what this team was really worth, but at the end of the day, what really matters is that it failed.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:27 AM
PATCHESx67

PLEASE MONTREAL DO NOT TRADE OUR 1ST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR

hopefully this will help

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
This post pisses me off. The boards were nearly unanimously stoked on the new flashy roster we had. I would know because I was one of the most active posters during that summer. Yes, a few people questioned the Gomez trade, but you're being one hell of a Captain-Hindsight if you're calling that summer a "expletive-joke". That summer's acquisitions also got us to the Conference finals, and had it not been for a horribly unlucky Bruins team, we probably would have at least played for the cup. Remember that.

EDIT: Rich dudes flying to Florida when it;'s -25 and windy back home, because they fly for free and stay in the best hotels!

THE ROSTER IS GETTING FLIPPED.
It's about time we move on from what WE wanted to what the end-result ENDED up to be. We keep being told to let the pros work. Well, they were wrong in the building of this team. Whether we liked it or not. So even if it was solely on hindsight, that's how people are judged whether you are a clerk in a store or a head scout, GM or coach or whoever. Yet, I'd believe that at one point, most people hated the Gomez trade. And most people hated the smallish label to this team. I believe that the unanimous mood was more for Moen than anything. And frankly, chances are.....he will end up being the best move after all. As a whole, this board was not too far off.

Personnally, I thought at the time that it was time to move from Koivu mostly based on all the stupid controversy about the captaincy and all the controversy around him. But NEVER, NEVER EVER, should it have been detrimental to letting a guy like McDo go or acquiring an overpaid guy who the Rangers wanted out in Gomez. So Gainey should have stood by his captain and continue on that front and try for once to finally give him wingers he could work with.

In the end, only the moves that this organization makes and the end-result is important here. What we think is just good to make a board exist and to vent. Which means that whether we liked it or not is totally irrelevant to the success of the team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post

hopefully this will help
hope you didn't jinx it

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post

hopefully this will help
Why not? I hear Mike Commodore is available.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Look at that, Tony might be right after all

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Look at that, Tony might be right after all
Look at what? Did something happen???

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Look at what? Did something happen???
Why is Molson on this road trip? To watch the last place team in the East for fun? Or let me guess but who doesn't want to go to Florida at this time of the year.. bla bla bla

Old
02-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Why is Molson on this road trip? To watch the last place team in the East for fun? Or let me guess but who doesn't want to go to Florida at this time of the year.. bla bla bla
Ah ok I missed that. Thanks

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:39 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I miss George Gillett

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I miss George Gillett
I know I said this before but I got to talk to him a few times, was such a great man. Anyways well see what Molson does, not sure he is so happy losing money

Old
02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I miss George Gillett
People here wanted Molson. I guess mostly to NOT see Péladeau. Yet, if Péladeau would have had the year we just had, HF would have crashed on a daily basis. Can you imagine how much bashing Péladeau would have had for such improvisation?

Old
02-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People here wanted Molson. I guess mostly to NOT see Péladeau. Yet, if Péladeau would have had the year we just had, HF would have crashed on a daily basis. Can you imagine how much bashing Péladeau would have had for such improvisation?
And our new GM, Gaston Therrien, would have traded our entire team for Quebec Sr League players.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
CHill Seeker

whether PG is the puppet or not, it's not often an owner accompanies a team on the road and will be sitting in on the 'war room' on trade deadline day. so draw your own conclusions

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:27 AM
HabsByTheBay

Geoff Molson = The next Jeff Wilpon?

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
And our new GM, Gaston Therrien, would have traded our entire team for Quebec Sr League players.
Well if you feel better than to think that this would have happened, so be it. 'Cause clearly right now, we look so much better. Thing is, with his ups and downs, Péladeau have been an overall succesful businessman. Something tells me he hates to fail and would do whatever it takes to not fail.

Well, we will know soon are we. We'll see what the Nords will do in due time. Thing is, while some in here still want to give Gainey-Gauthier some time to work things out, strangely the Nords and their personnel will be judged based on what they do the same year they move. Double standards paradise.

Mind you, we are talking about Geoff Molson right? The guy who send a letter saying that the hockey personnel will be francophone in the middle of a year. Again, if Péladeau would have done that.....

Old
02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
whether PG is the puppet or not, it's not often an owner accompanies a team on the road and will be sitting in on the 'war room' on trade deadline day. so draw your own conclusions
We have a young hands-on owner....can be scary. I still think firing JMartin was Molson's decision.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Well done buddy

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
We have a young hands-on owner....can be scary. I still think firing JMartin was Molson's decision.
Why is that? Whose decision was it to fire Pearn, Martin best friend? Really tough to imagine that if Pearn's firing was Gauthier's idea, that Martin's firing wouldn't be his idea as well? Who do you think has more an idea that it would create a controversy to go with an anglophone coach? Gauthier or Molson? Gauthier couldn't care less of the language. Molson seems to.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well done buddy
lol always a classic...forward to 4:45 mark and watch richard peddy's lips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKQEKWURtI

Old
02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
CHill Seeker

if i was the vegan skeletor i'd be exploring all avenues...not just trades but actually looking for streets out of montreal

Old
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
We knew this might happen, after Gillette the quality of ownership was gonna be lower by default cuz it couldn't get any better. Molson is a rich kid who's got a famous name, so a lot to prove, and he wasn't doing any other work (directorship at molson is not a big job). That said, at least he is not the sole owner, there's about a half dozen partners in the group. If somebody respectable like Bob Gainey started complaining to the other partners (or the press, yikes) that Geoffery is treating it like an EA sports sim then it could bring down the house on him. That kind of Charles Wang nonsense wouldn't be tolerated in Montreal, no joke he'd probably have people harassing him at his house.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote