HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team's offense is above average...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
  #1
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
This team's offense is above average...

I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion ).

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
  #2
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion ).
good stats man...just too think if Dubinsky and Boyle were scoring.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:25 AM
  #3
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
good stats man...just too think if Dubinsky and Boyle were scoring.
I'll give you Dubinsky, but Boyle...not so much. He had 1 fluke year out of a bunch of zero-output seasons.

Even Dubinsky; he's never been a guy you can count on, offensively...ever.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
  #4
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I thought we needed a thread about this so we can all stop talking about addressing the needs of last year's Rangers and instead talk rationally about this year's Rangers.

This year's Rangers score 2.73 goals per game. That is good for 12th BEST in the league.


The lowest scoring team is the Kings, they score 2.08 goals per game. We score .65 more goals per game then them. The top scoring team is Philly, they score 3.30 goals per game. We score .57 less goals per game.

Any way you slice it, we're closer to the best than the worst in goal scoring.

Discuss (express your confusion ).
The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
  #5
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
our forecheck is lacking. we were taking it to the opposition much more last year than this year.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
  #6
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I'll give you Dubinsky, but Boyle...not so much. He had 1 fluke year out of a bunch of zero-output seasons.

Even Dubinsky; he's never been a guy you can count on, offensively...ever.
Tough talk cowboy, care to back it up with facts?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
  #7
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
Our offense is STILL this teams achillies heel.

Regardless of where we stand on an overall goals scored basis, the fact is this team can be shut down and or shut out alot easier than any other top 4 team in either conference.

The argument that we are in 12th overall in scoring means we shouldn't address it is poor.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  #8
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.
16 teams make the playoffs 8 to 10 of them are ahead (depending on some bottom seeds and so 6 to 8 of them are below.

Looking at the defensive side of the game, we are better than every other team except the blues in goals against per game.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
  #9
Jackpot
Registered Abuser
 
Jackpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Numbers don't lie, but I think any rational hockey fan knows if you play the Rangers you're going to be in the game because the Rangers don't have the firepower to put a team away. I mean a record of 5-10-5 if we give up three goals isn't to flattering eh?

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  #10
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
16 teams make the playoffs 8 to 10 of them are ahead (depending on some bottom seeds and so 6 to 8 of them are below.

Looking at the defensive side of the game, we are better than every other team except the blues in goals against per game.
This team has been completely shut down by the Devils, Sens and Pens twice just in the last few weeks.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  #11
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The majority of teams that we're better than aren't going to be in the playoffs.
Silly facts always getting in the way

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
  #12
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
This team has been completely shut down by the Devils, Sens and Pens twice just in the last few weeks.
My "kool aid" is facts. So you're just being intentionally irrational.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
  #13
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Our offense is STILL this teams achillies heel.

Regardless of where we stand on an overall goals scored basis, the fact is this team can be shut down and or shut out alot easier than any other top 4 team in either conference.

The argument that we are in 12th overall in scoring means we shouldn't address it is poor.
What about the argument that we are in first lace in the east, by 7 points. We play a grind it out style and win with defense/goal tending and decent scoring. That formula has worked so far this year, and seems to fair well in the playoffs.

I think the argument about being 12th in the league for scoring is a lot better than your argument, that we can be shut down easier than the top 4 teams in either conference. I don't think that is true at all. We could also shut down a team as easily as anyone else in the league.n

People on here have to stop thinking we are going to be scoring 3+ goals a game in this system on a consistent basis.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
  #14
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 500
The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
  #15
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
My "kool aid" is facts. So you're just being intentionally irrational.
You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
  #16
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.
No...

The biggest need is a powerplay coach.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
  #17
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?
Clearly because of aliens.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
  #18
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
i think the op started this thread to ease his own fears.
if one of Gaborik, Callahan, or Richards is out for any length of time
we'll be playing 1 goal games like every season for the past 3 or 4 years.

The offensive dropoff from the above mentioned players is scary.
We do not have scoring throughout the lineup like Boston did last year. We'll be relying on Lundqvist to bail us out, more times than not again...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
  #19
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
  #20
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
The problems the powerplay.
Sure we could use a bit more offense to put us over the top, but the biggest need is a powerplay specialist.
That's a fair point, supported by actual facts. I'm skeptical we can just bring a guy in to do that though. We've tried to do just that last year with McCabe, and this year we brought in Richards and neither one really helped any even thought the PP was supposed to be their big thing.

I'm not sure why the PP isn't working better, I think we need to leave this group to fix it themselves though.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  #21
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
What about the argument that we are in first lace in the east, by 7 points. We play a grind it out style and win with defense/goal tending and decent scoring. That formula has worked so far this year, and seems to fair well in the playoffs.

I think the argument about being 12th in the league for scoring is a lot better than your argument, that we can be shut down easier than the top 4 teams in either conference. I don't think that is true at all. We could also shut down a team as easily as anyone else in the league.n

People on here have to stop thinking we are going to be scoring 3+ goals a game in this system on a consistent basis.
Again, you point to goals scored and position in the standings and ignore what has been an obvious flaw to thsi team and think the best way to address it is to stand pat?

This team (with some additional talent on our top 6) CAN score 3 goals a game. Get a winger that can play the LW on the PP that has goal scoring ability and getting to 3 goals a game is alot easier.

If our PP was average, AVERAGE, we would be top 5 in scoring and I'd feel much better headed into the post season.

If there's a weakness and we fail to address it, then we deserve our fate.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  #22
Jackpot
Registered Abuser
 
Jackpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.

This +1000

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
  #23
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
You are conveniently ignoring my facts. Why have we been completely shut down by three potential playoff opponents recently?
**** happens. Tis the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season. It makes less sense to start cherrypicking when there is still this much time left.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
  #24
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What's the purpose of this thread? To illuminate that the team probably isn't good enough win a chamionship?

Every single cup winner since the lockout has had a top 10 offense. All but one have had top 5 offenses.

The Rangers are a SLIGHTLY above average offensive team. They'd be more comfortable if Brandon Dubinsky wasn't a confused, inconsistent, overpaid player.

The Rangers unquestionably need more offense. That doesn't mean it needs to come in the form of an overpaid Rick Nash, but it's going to have to come from somewhere.
Small sample size

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
  #25
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

If there's a weakness and we fail to address it, then we deserve our fate.
exactly. you can't have it all. I can understand not overpaying for
a franchise star, but you also, forgoe an opportunity where your star goalie is playing the best hockey of his career.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.