HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Trade Deadline Deal/Rumor Discussion--Mods will create thread for Wild Trade(s)

Old
02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
El Nino22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
While being popular and respected in the room are important qualities, those aren't the main properties you look for in a leader. Especially when a player's performance on the ice is sub par. Again, he's viewed in that light primary because he's been a mainstay here on the blue line.

It's pretty easy to be steadfast in an opinion of wanting Schultz gone when you see what he provides game in, game out for much of his career.
The problem I have is that Schultz is the scapegoat for a defense that has been terrible all year long. Outside of Spurgeon there has been not one D who has been consistently solid, and Schultz has been paired with the worst of the worst all year. Zanon, Zidlicky, Lundin, and yet every mistake or goal that has happened is his fault. I guarentee you if Schultz was paired with an actual top 4 caliber D you wouldn't be talking about him like he's Martin Skoula.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'm the LAST person on here that you should be accusing of looking into a contract too much. I could honestly care less what players cap hit's look like. Outside of the length and any player the Wild want to call up performing at a Schultz-like level, I don't have an issue with it or dumping it to create space.

I just view Schultz as a redundant, insignificant piece on a wholly poor and unproductive blue line. Combine that with being at a stagnant level for far too long, I just view it as a situation that desperately needs a shake-up. Especially in a new regime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
The problem I have is that Schultz is the scapegoat for a defense that has been terrible all year long. Outside of Spurgeon there has been not one D who has been consistently solid, and Schultz has been paired with the worst of the worst all year. Zanon, Zidlicky, Lundin, and yet every mistake or goal that has happened is his fault. I guarentee you if Schultz was paired with an actual top 4 caliber D you wouldn't be talking about him like he's Martin Skoula.
Quit ruining Skoula's good name by comparing Schultz to him...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Persian Wild
Persia 4 Parise

I just pray that we donT trade any top prospects like Larsson, Coyle, Zucker or Brodin. (I know there is no scenario for a granlund trade, thats why I didnT mention him)

Persian Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Pahlsson would be a great pick up for any team down the stretch and beyond, great player. Interested to see if he gets moved???
http://twitter.com/#!/walz3737/statu...68637064749056

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
El Nino22

Nik Backstrom (Caps) was put on LTIR today, wonder if they look into a guy like Cullen?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Fortunately, I don't see any way the Wild would be in on him. Unless we're sending a dead contract or two back to Columbus, we're not going to use our last contract space on a guy just to get Ortmeyer or Peters back to Houston.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Pierre just gushed a tad about the Wild prospect pool while talking about Calgary.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Nik Backstrom (Caps) was put on LTIR today, wonder if they look into a guy like Cullen?
Cully's got a NTC and isn't likely to waive it. Dude's staying put.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
forthewild

i have tsn trade center going on nhl network right now, love this day and love july 1st.

regarding schultz's contract its not bad now at all, 4 years ago when the cap was less it was awful not his contract doesn't handcuff us at all and he is movable, i still think he'd be a good pro and mentor to the younger guys but if we can fetch a good return i wouldn't mind.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Skoula was better than most people give him credit for.

Schultz is fine...I guess. But you need to look at the bigger picture. If we hold on to all our defensemen, how do we get better? Spurgeon, Scandella, and Schultz are all second pairing guys. Falk and Prosser are third pairing guys at best (although I think they shouldn't be in the NHL right now). And then you bring in Brodin, and that's your six. That's not a good six at all as green as they are.

So are you going to put Schultz on the third pairing? Wouldn't it be better to put Falk and Prosser in that role or try out Cuma there? Especially if you can get something for him? I know he likes it here, but if you're not going to use your vets like the "should" be used, it causes issues (look at Zidlicky).

If they move Schultz, they not only get assets in return, but open up a roster spot for a high end defenseman in UFA. I could also see him moved in the summer.

You need to upgrade this defense. Brodin should provide a big spark. But they need a big body who can play a lot of minutes without making a lot of mistakes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Can't see Cullen waiving his NTC for anyone.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
grN1g

on trade center, pierre was talking with the guys about the flames, and his thoughts about the flames was the very shallow prospects depth they have and was comparing them to a list of teams, from what i think i heard he was saying when you dont got a good group of prospects, and your not making playoffs something is wrong. he listed the teams and when he mentioned minnesota he said "especially minnesota." if thats all correct, pierre seems to think our group is really strong. kinda refreshing to be considered one of the better teams with a strong group of prospects.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Schultz is fine...I guess. But you need to look at the bigger picture. If we hold on to all our defensemen, how do we get better? Spurgeon, Scandella, and Schultz are all second pairing guys. Falk and Prosser are third pairing guys at best (although I think they shouldn't be in the NHL right now).

And then you bring in Brodin, and that's your six. That's not a good six at all as green as they are.

If they move Schultz, they not only get assets in return, but open up a roster spot for a high end defenseman in UFA. I could also see him moved in the summer.

You need to upgrade this defense. Brodin should provide a big spark. But they need a big body who can play a lot of minutes without making a lot of mistakes.
But there aren't any high end UFA defensemen. Once you assume that we can't pick up a high end UFA defenseman, any argument for opening up a roster spot goes straight down the toilet. I'm not saying we need to keep Schultz until he retires, but we're not getting a guy like Suter. It's not going to happen. We can't go into next season with Spurgeon as the most experience defenseman on the roster.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Schultz is fine...I guess. But you need to look at the bigger picture. If we hold on to all our defensemen, how do we get better? Spurgeon, Scandella, and Schultz are all second pairing guys. Falk and Prosser are third pairing guys at best (although I think they shouldn't be in the NHL right now).

And then you bring in Brodin, and that's your six. That's not a good six at all as green as they are.

But if you whiff on that, what are you left with? 6 defensemen who have under 125 games played? Or you overpay the contract just to get somebody like Carle. I don't like opening up holes for the pipe-dream of landing a big name UFA. New York can do that, we can't.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sioux210

Quote:
Pierre just gushed a tad about the Wild prospect pool while talking about Calgary.
saw that! hope they go into more detail about minnesota a little bit, they never talk about us on tv!

sioux210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
The ink on Brodziak's contract is probably still wet.. The Setoguchi Special.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

At this point, while GMGM might not know it yet, the Caps are out. They're only 1 point back from Winnipeg, with two games in hand, but their team is a mess. They have two potential top 10 picks this season, they need to just pack it in and hope for the best next year.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
El Nino22

Quote:

Schultz is fine...I guess. But you need to look at the bigger picture. If we hold on to all our defensemen, how do we get better? Spurgeon, Scandella, and Schultz are all second pairing guys. Falk and Prosser are third pairing guys at best (although I think they shouldn't be in the NHL right now). And then you bring in Brodin, and that's your six. That's not a good six at all as green as they are.

So are you going to put Schultz on the third pairing? Wouldn't it be better to put Falk and Prosser in that role or try out Cuma there? Especially if you can get something for him? I know he likes it here, but if you're not going to use your vets like the "should" be used, it causes issues (look at Zidlicky).

Im not saying we shouldn't look into trading Schultz whether it be today or at the draft. The point I was making is that Schultz gets a lot of criticism that isn't warranted based on his contract, the overall lack of talent on our blueline, and overall frustration with this team. Definitely if we can get fair or obviously above market value we should move him.

Also keep in mind Schultz is only 30. It's not unreasonable that he could play for another 5 years or so.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
But if you whiff on that, what are you left with? 6 defensemen who have under 125 games played? Or you overpay the contract just to get somebody like Carle. I don't like opening up holes for the pipe-dream of landing a big name UFA. New York can do that, we can't.
If they whiff? In all honestly, so what? What are they losing that isn't easily obtainable from any number of players that they can plug in? Whether it be call-ups or low risk players on the FA market. It isn't as if Schultz is a viable cog in this blue line.

At a certain point, there just needs to be some sort of change. Especially when you have a number of younger players who Yeo seems to favor.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

That can't be a good sign for Nash fans...

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Crazytrain83

Apparently the Caps pulled Vokoun off the ice during practice. Hopefully, for that 2nd Rounder we got, they're going to sell everything and tank.

Crazytrain83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
If they whiff? In all honestly, so what? What are they losing that isn't easily obtainable from any number of players that they can plug in? Whether it be call-ups or low risk players on the FA market. It isn't as if Schultz is a viable cog in this blue line.

At a certain point, there just needs to be some sort of change. Especially when you have a number of younger players who Yeo seems to favor.
"The veteran, Jared Spurgeon."

The biggest point that can be made about the whole debate. Assuming Zanon and Foster are gone next season, Spurgeon becomes the most experienced defenseman other than Schultz.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Can't see Cullen waiving his NTC for anyone.
I always forget about the NTC. I guess I can't really see Cullen waiving it, but anything can happen on second christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
The ink on Brodziak's contract is probably still wet.. The Setoguchi Special.
I would be shocked. That would really be a slap in the face to Brodz...Plus they already have Laich who is a better version of Brodz.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
At this point, while GMGM might not know it yet, the Caps are out. They're only 1 point back from Winnipeg, with two games in hand, but their team is a mess. They have two potential top 10 picks this season, they need to just pack it in and hope for the best next year.
Heh... GMGM.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

I feel like we're talking in circles.

So you want to dump Schultz, for very little if necessary, because of his bad play and high contract, even though we don't really have anybody in the system who would likely play better and his contract isn't hindering us doing anything? I just don't see what the point would be, unless the return is substantial.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote