HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter - A Nashville fan scouting report

Old
02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Ryan Suter - A Nashville fan scouting report

Good day Nashville fans. I personally believe that the best perspective on a player is from the fans that watch the player daily. Just how good is Ryan Suter? Is he worth 7.5 million? Is he a franchise defenceman? Is he top 5-10 in the league?

Again, I am just looking for information. If you go on the Flyer board, we have Flyer fans giving "their opinion" on how good Ryan Suter is. I am sure you folks who watch him play regularly would find it comical. But I was interested in hearing from those who would know. Thanks in advance.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's fantastic on the transition, handles the puck very well is a top notch skater and has fantastic vision on both ends of the ice.

I guess his shot (isn't bad but it's not weber's) is his biggest negative.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Good day Nashville fans. I personally believe that the best perspective on a player is from the fans that watch the player daily. Just how good is Ryan Suter? Is he worth 7.5 million? Is he a franchise defenceman? Is he top 5-10 in the league?

Again, I am just looking for information. If you go on the Flyer board, we have Flyer fans giving "their opinion" on how good Ryan Suter is. I am sure you folks who watch him play regularly would find it comical. But I was interested in hearing from those who would know. Thanks in advance.
He is one of the top 5 dmen in the league. He is worth 8M, IMO. And yes, franchise dman.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
He's absolutely worth 7.5.

He's one of the top-5 defensive D-men in the league. He's solid offensively, but not an offensive weapon.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
and if Suter leaves Nashville, Weber will find, to his dismay, that Suter makes him a better player...

Weber struggled quite a bit without Suter last year during a Suter injury.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and if Suter leaves Nashville, Weber will find, to his dismay, that Suter makes him a better player...

Weber struggled quite a bit without Suter last year during a Suter injury.
He was paired with Boullion so of course he struggled.

On the flips side, Suter is not used to having to carry the physical load of a shutdown defenseman. Can he do it without Weber?

Also to the OP.

Suter is better than Kimmo, so how do you view Kimmo?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
dulzhok

I think he's a borderline franchise defenseman.

He's a great defenseman and transition the puck with ease.

But, his offensive skills are not elite. Sure, he racks up assists feeding Weber, but I don't think he has elite vision in the offensive zone. And his shot is pretty weak. While not 'soft', he's not physical.

I think 8 million is really pushing it. If he does go elsewhere, it will be interesting to see how he performs without Weber.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He was paired with Boullion so of course he struggled.

On the flips side, Suter is not used to having to carry the physical load of a shutdown defenseman. Can he do it without Weber?

Also to the OP.

Suter is better than Kimmo, so how do you view Kimmo?
I'd say Suter has the edge on Kimmo in the defensive end and transiton, but I'd take Kimmo in offensive end, pretty easily.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Shea Weber

Almost never makes a mistake. If he gets puck he's going to make a great first pass and get puck out of zone. Great skater. Great positioning.

Great passing and vision on power play. I personally think he should shoot a bit more. He's an excellent player for sure, people who say he couldn't survive without being paired with Weber are just dead wrong, imo.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
people who say he couldn't survive without being paired with Weber....
Holy exaggeration, batman.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Almost never makes a mistake. If he gets puck he's going to make a great first pass and get puck out of zone. Great skater. Great positioning.

Great passing and vision on power play. I personally think he should shoot a bit more. He's an excellent player for sure, people who say he couldn't survive without being paired with Weber are just dead wrong, imo.
exactly... if anything its the opposite.... Suter will be Suter no matter who he is paired with...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I'd say Suter has the edge on Kimmo in the defensive end and transiton, but I'd take Kimmo in offensive end, pretty easily.
I think they're different offensively sure but I don't see the "pretty easy" part. Offense starts on the transition and Suter carries the puck better than Kimmo.

Defensively I think Suter is still pretty far ahead of Kimmo, especially down low.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
exactly... if anything its the opposite.... Suter will be Suter no matter who he is paired with...
Not exactly. Suter will still need a physical guy against powerforwards.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Holy exaggeration, batman.
Get the batmobile, robin.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Not exactly. Suter will still need a physical guy against powerforwards.
I think Suter's offensive stats will likely take a big hit going to (most) other teams.

He has the benefit of playing opposite the best point shot in the league. Many of his assits are either Weber goals or Weber shots that resulted in tip/rebound. It also opens up tons of spacing for him playing opposite Weber.

If he's going to Philly and is playing opposite a healthy Pronger, I'd expect the stats to mostly translate. But if he has an average Joe on the other point, I'd except a significant drop.

Hopefully we don't have to test this theory...

Old
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Of course a defenseman will look better with another all-world defenseman on his pair and they will look slightly worse without that all-world partner. Those who are saying that one will struggle without the other are exaggerating.

Suter does benefit from having Weber on his pair. Offensively, not only can he feed the puck to Weber for a cannon blast, but he will also have more open ice due to defenders wanting to take away Weber's shot. However, I disagree with the idea that Suter's offense is made significantly better with Weber. Suter has good on-ice vision regardless of where he is playing. In the defensive zone he is one of the best positional defensemen in the league. He knows how to separate the body from the puck effectively. His pass on the break out is pretty good. In the offensive zone, especially on the powerplay, he has a great understanding of when and where to pinch in. Suter has a knack for sneaking in to open up the backdoor play (either by putting himself in position to take the shot, or by pinching in wide and below the dot to get a pass off for the backdoor).

Suter is basically on par with Weber in terms of overall skill. Suter is the better skater, better passer, is better at getting into position, and has a higher overall hockey IQ. Weber is better offensively, obviously is more physical, and has the slight edge in the leadership department.

Suter is definitely a top defenseman on virtually every team in the league. He is well-worth $7m IMO. Definitely a franchise defenseman unless you have the luxury of watching another top 5-10 dman sport your team's sweater.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
dulzhok

We will trade you Kimmo for Suter.... in the offseason.

In all honestly, if Suter is out of here, I think it'd be great damage control to trade his rights to Philly for Kimmo (throw in some conditionials if Suter doesn't sign). Philly would have to move the salary any way to take on Suter's contract. Progner would need to be healthy. We'd keep Suter in the east.

Oh ya, we have playoffs to play first...

Old
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
We will trade you Kimmo for Suter.... in the offseason.

In all honestly, if Suter is out of here, I think it'd be great damage control to trade his rights to Philly for Kimmo (throw in some conditionials if Suter doesn't sign). Philly would have to move the salary any way to take on Suter's contract. Progner would need to be healthy. We'd keep Suter in the east.

Oh ya, we have playoffs to play first...
I like Timonen and all, but I don't see why we have to throw in conditional picks when we're trading Suter's rights for a guy who is 37 in a few weeks. Maybe if it's a 5th or something

Old
02-27-2012, 12:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
I think Suter's offensive stats will likely take a big hit going to (most) other teams.

He has the benefit of playing opposite the best point shot in the league. Many of his assits are either Weber goals or Weber shots that resulted in tip/rebound. It also opens up tons of spacing for him playing opposite Weber.

If he's going to Philly and is playing opposite a healthy Pronger, I'd expect the stats to mostly translate. But if he has an average Joe on the other point, I'd except a significant drop.

Hopefully we don't have to test this theory...
Not attacking, but is your theory based on stats that suggest that Suter benefits from Weber's shot in this "significant" way? I would assume there's a database that shows how many of Suter's assists are secondary (where Weber is the primary assist giver) and how many of Suter's primary assists are on Weber's goals. I ask because I had a similar conversation here in the offseason where certain assumptions about the nature of Suter's points (in this case, his assists totals were inflated because of his secondary assists) were actually counter to the stats.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Pierre McGuire just speculated that Minnesota might go after Suter this summer, using Gilbert (former teammate) as bait

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

My scouting report on him is that he's a liar and claims to love it here but is looking for any excuse to turn his tail and run at the first possible opportunity.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Pierre McGuire just speculated that Minnesota might go after Suter this summer, using Gilbert (former teammate) as bait

Pierre's dad should have used a condom.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I like Timonen and all, but I don't see why we have to throw in conditional picks when we're trading Suter's rights for a guy who is 37 in a few weeks. Maybe if it's a 5th or something
of jack ? ... that's still too much of a condition

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
of jack ? ... that's still too much of a condition
Maybe if we send a 5th of Jack, Holmgren will get wasted, and then we can trade a 7th for Giroux + JVR + Simmonds

Old
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Timonen is still a top 15 dman in the league... maybe top 10. He's an integral part of Philly's team right now.

His actual salary next year is 3.0m (cap hit of 6.3).

They might trade for Suter's rights straight up, but I think they'd want a little more insurance if he doesn't sign. Although if they can't work out a deal, they can also trade his rights again (hopefully not to Detroit).