HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I think the mindset of Rangers fans, or maybe just NY Sports fans is..."You're only as good as your last game"

It's pretty clear that Dubi has struggled this season. Footspeed I will agree with. He looks slower. He also seems to be out of position in the offensive zone. Last year he drove the net. He wanted the puck. He wanted to score. This year and only speaking in terms of offense, he is not the same player. Like a different mentality. It's defense first...always! But...still along the wall, and in his own end he is NOT a liability. He's just not the same guy. And...I actually agree with the posters that say the look on his face this year is different. He is struggling with something, and while I have zero inside knowledge of it firsthand to me it seems personal.

With that said...I thought for sure he would be moved at the deadline. I thought it would be for Carter. But for the record...I DONT want to see Dubinsky traded. I want to see the Rangers win it with him here. I think he deserves it maybe more so than alot of the current roster players.

When a player has a funk like this I think it's a 50% the job of the coach and 50% the job of the player to get him out of it and back in the game. To me Dubi is a guy that over the past three seasons has certainly proved that he is a tremendous player. I don't think he is only as good as his last game, or only as good as his point totals show this year. This kid has shown in the past that he simply has too much moxy to roll over and play dead. It's time he re-lit that fire under his own ass and started playing like the player he truly is. And for the Rangers with 20 something games left in the season, what a perfect time for him to get going.

One last thing...Even though he has started to fall out of favor here, he is still loved at the Garden.
Excellent post.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Two thoughts when I think about trading Dubinsky. 1) Player progression isn't a linear path. 2) Nash doesn't drop the gloves and have a go with Tom Sestito.

For years I've watched the Rangers sell young players in favor of proven hi priced stars and for years I've watched a Ranger team that would get bullied, out worked physically, and quit when things were tough.

The Boston Bruins recently one a Stanley cup and they did so by being a dominant physical team, one that Vancouver couldn't content with. Only a few weeks ago, this Ranger team went to Boston and decisively beat that Boston team playing their own style.

When Tom Sestito tried to bully Brandon Dubinsky, He turned and looked at him as if to say "what are you going to do about it", Dubinsky stood to him with the the moxy and took him on. The courage that this team stands for. That this Ranger team is now the one that goes in and imposes their will and physically dominates and says "what are you going to do about it?"

If Marion Gaborik was this team's Captain then trading Dubinsky would be fine, but this Team's Captain is Ryan Callahan, it's identity is grit and sandpaper and Brandon Dubinsky fits that identity too well.
Exactly. People sometimes try to win games on paper, this team is winning them in reality. Don't mess with it.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Really happy he most likely will not be moved.

He shouldn't need trade rumors to light a fire under his ass, but let's hope he get's out this slump and starts producing. Despite not producing much points, he's still a valuable player to this team in other aspects of the game.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
McRanger

Callahan will always be a better all around player than Dubinsky. Dubi fights and hits and might be on par with Cally as a PKer, but he doesn't play the same all around game.

That said, offensively they have been pretty close.

Dubinsky age 21: 82-14-26-40
Dubinsky age 22: 82-13-28-41
Dubinsky age 23: 69-20-24-44
Dubinsky age 24: 77-24-30-54

Callahan age 21: 14-4-2-6
Callahan age 22: 52-8-5-13
Callahan age 23: 81-22-18-40
Callahan age 24: 77-19-18-37

Even with less PP time he has put up similar/better numbers.

The problem is this disaster of a year:
Dubinsky age 25: 57-6-19 -25
Callahan age 25: 60-23-25-48

A drop in points might be understandable considering who he has played with, but that aside there is still something wrong.

Most of the time, he does not look like the same player.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Pizza

Dubi just needs to start playing like the player we've seen in the past, the rest will take care of itself.

He needs to be more aggressive with the puck. Shoot first, pass second. Drive the net. Be a total PITA to play against. He's working his butt off, but he just has not been the same player this year.

Having the dead line behind him should be a huge load off. So, it will be interesting to see what happens starting tonight....that is if he's still with us.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Exactly. People sometimes try to win games on paper, this team is winning them in reality. Don't mess with it.
This team was great on paper and lost on the ice for so many years. Now they've built from within, added free agents where it made sense to do so and they're winning. They draft players that all have the same mentality. Players who don't have that mindset get weeded out and moved i.e. Werek & Sanguinetti.

Either you have a desperate killer instinct to win or you're not going to make it as a Ranger.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Dubi just needs to start playing like the player we've seen in the past, the rest will take care of itself.

He needs to be more aggressive with the puck. Shoot first, pass second. Drive the net. Be a total PITA to play against. He's working his butt off, but he just has not been the same player this year.

Having the dead line behind him should be a huge load off. So, it will be interesting to see what happens starting tonight....that is if he's still with us.
Was thinking the same thing. He was probably gripping his stick too tight before the rumors started swirling. Last two weeks must have been brutal.

Old
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Was thinking the same thing. He was probably gripping his stick too tight before the rumors started swirling. Last two weeks must have been brutal.
Yeah.

I'm not one to make excuses for highly paid athletes, but hey these guys are human, and in Dubi's case still pretty young.

Personally, he has a few things going on that we've probably all heard about. It's life and everybody has to deal with that, but it can take a toll.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Yeah.

I'm not one to make excuses for highly paid athletes, but hey these guys are human, and in Dubi's case still pretty young.

Personally, he has a few things going on that we've probably all heard about. It's life and everybody has to deal with that, but it can take a toll.
Are you referring to something other than his name being discussed in trade rumors? Did something happen in his personal life or something like that?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Yeah.

No excuses, hes just been... ineffective.

The old Dubi would make things happen regardless of who he played with, even if he was not putting up points. You don't see that anymore.

But having the deadline pass, and maybe playing with some better players, should help.

Though now with Nash pushing who knows....

Old
02-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Legend23

I go to half the home games every year and a couple things appear evident to me when I watch him.

1) He seems like he is afraid to get those, for a lack of a better word, "garbage" goals where you take a beating in front of the net this year. He used to remind me a little of a poor mans Adam Graves but he seems a bit more timid this year.
2) When ever he is carrying the puck down the wing he seems in a hurry to get the puck into the corner to cycle rather than to drive for the net.
3) His shot is off. He is shooting with bad form and his shots are much weaker than in the past.
4) I dont know if I am just realizing this because I am more critical of him this year but his skating seems like he is not getting the push he should compared to the effort he puts in. He should get some power skating lessons.

Dont get me wrong I like Dubi but he cant be an equivalent of Prust, Feds or Rupp at that salary of his. We have a ton of those 3rd &4th line gritty players.

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
BOO KA BOOM

Dubie needs to bring the mustache back, no doubt about it.

BOO KA BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Andrew Gross ‏ @AGrossRecord

Torts still upset with Dubinsky's penalty, says if had other healthy forwards tonight, he would have benched Dubi against Lightning.
Quote:
Steve Zipay ‏ @stevezipay

More Torts on Dubi: "As much as I like this kid, as much as I think he can do some good things for us, we need to start seeing it...now."
No mincing words.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
That is HARSH. I love it.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Sticky Fingers

Ouch!

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
That is HARSH. I love it.
Me too. Enough is enough.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Someone had to say it.

As much as we all love Dubinsky, he's gotta start contributing to the team.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Here's the full quote from Torts:

Quote:
“I thought it was, quite honestly, just a ridiculous penalty, at a time of the season, when you’ve got 20 games left that we need to be working on other things as far as details than that nonsense,” Tortorella said. “And, quite honestly, if other people were healthy tonight he wouldn’t be playing tonight. As much as I like this kid and as much as I think he can do some good things for us, we need to start seeing it now. Not that bull(^*#@!), but play and try and help us.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...insky_penalty/

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Vitto79

play him in an offensive top two line role 2ntie then......he better score

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
eco's bones

I'm very okay with this and I'm a fan of Dubinsky's. It was a dumbass penalty. I was wondering if Torts was going to play him in the 3rd but getting the message across can be an important thing.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

one thing we can all agree on.. if he keeps making bonehead plays like he did last night he wont be playing much

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
This isn't about trade, or Rick Nash, or anything like that.

This summer, several hailed him as a potential 1st line winger, an irreplaceable part of this core, and a potential captain. He lead the team in point last season, and his defensively play is above average, even on a defensively obsessed Rangers team.

Fans of other teams hate him with a passion, as do the players on other teams, giving him the assets of an agitator with the potential of a high-end 2nd liner. And yet when a trade appears, his name is the first to appear, where once it was Girardi, and later Anisimov, and even Gaborik that was on everybody's "To go list".

So why has Brandon Dubinsky fallen out of favor? The obvious thing to point to is his goal total: a mere 6. His point total is sitting at 25. For comparison, his former line-mate and partner in crime Ryan Callahan has 24 goals, 45 points.

Granted, Cally is playing with Brad Richards, and 11 of those goals come via powerplay, but Dubinsky was given the same chance, even a chance to play with Gaborik and Stepan, and yet he's had massive difficultly producing.

Dubi has managed to throw 105 shots on goal, with only 6 becoming goals. Has he run into bad luck? Perhaps he's snake bit?

Personally, I think being looked over for the "A" made a difference. I hate how it sounds, but lets be honest, Dubinsky has shown some difficulty controlling his emotions, and when he's been with the team as long as our present captain, fulfilling much the same role, and working his heart half way to death trying to win a playoff round, it's easy to imagine he took it as a snub.

And now with the Nash rumors, he looks clearly disturbed on the ice. Each shift, he's like an employee on his first week of work, practically screaming "please don't fire (in this case, trade) me!".

That's my best guess. The goals he's scored have been beautiful, it's simply the rebounds, garbage goals and wide open nets that he hasn't been able to sink. I think if he stays (and I hope very deeply he's not traded off) that we'll see a return to 50 pt form, possibly even scratching at 60.

Also, I want to see what he can do with Hags at some point.

Note: this is not a "How to get Dubi going" thread. He's this year's Gaborik, but without the occasional hat-trick, but instead providing solid forechecking and defensive play. I'm interested to hear some of your analysis and hypothesizes.
I'm actually glad a thread was created for Dubinsky.
Look, I firmly believe that the overall majority of the fanbase(myself included) love Dubinsky for a number of reasons:
He is one of the first(along with Cally and Sauer) homegrown players to go thru the system and make the team and have a meaningful impact in the years he has played with us. He is passionate, hard working and has a decent skillset BUT the thing that has always held him back is his two cent brain!(I dont say this to be demeaning or anything).

Brandon Dubinsky could be a solid, consistent 2nd line center(where I believe he's better suited) or wing because of his work ethic and skillset but his decision making on the ice at times is just plain old STUPID!

I sincerely hope that this year is just a mirage and that he will turn his game around in the offseason(yes, I'm writing off this year) and go back to being the 20/30+ guy he was last year and that he remains with us for a long time.

Oh yeah, by the way, I agree that his
being passed over for the "A" has had a negative impact on his play.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Callahan will always be a better all around player than Dubinsky. Dubi fights and hits and might be on par with Cally as a PKer, but he doesn't play the same all around game.

That said, offensively they have been pretty close.

Dubinsky age 21: 82-14-26-40
Dubinsky age 22: 82-13-28-41
Dubinsky age 23: 69-20-24-44
Dubinsky age 24: 77-24-30-54

Callahan age 21: 14-4-2-6
Callahan age 22: 52-8-5-13
Callahan age 23: 81-22-18-40
Callahan age 24: 77-19-18-37

Even with less PP time he has put up similar/better numbers.

The problem is this disaster of a year:
Dubinsky age 25: 57-6-19 -25
Callahan age 25: 60-23-25-48

A drop in points might be understandable considering who he has played with, but that aside there is still something wrong.

Most of the time, he does not look like the same player.
Great post! I believe most of us fans are as passionate about Duby as we want him to be about hockey and we all desperately want to see him regain his form and do well. Right now, I get the feeling that he looks at himself as an "outsider" and not part of the inner core; his buddy got the "C" and he was passed over for an "A"; could that be part of it?
Come on Duby, time to lay it on the line and show everybody the real you. We are wishing, hoping and praying for you.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Dorado*

A OR NO A , he was given 4.2 M reasons to think he is important to the team . If he is that fragile of a player , getting passed over for the guy who helped make the coaches BONES in TB he is not Captain material anyway .
His cap hit is nit there to fight Sestito , Mike Richards or Scott Hartnell it's to out points on the board . His intangibles are duly noted , however having a 4.2 M dollar cap hit means you gotta put pucks in the net .
Prust makes 800 k and kills penalties and fights . Dubi has held out , his agent convinced him he should b paid a premium # and he is failing miserably .
All the Dubi apologists need to realize that a bad cap hit from an underperforming player is just that , intangibles are for players making half to a quarter as much .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
BroadwayHustle

Theres Dubi. Moving his legs, and not playing with Rupp lol.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote