HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pundits vary on plight of Sabres

Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Pundits vary on plight of Sabres

Quote:
"I thought they were on their way to being a real good team, a real dangerous team," said Bylsma, who led the Penguins to a Stanley Cup in 2009. "That, at some point, got off-track."

Sure did. There were all kinds of prognosticators, both locally and nationally, who expected the Sabres to be playing deep into May and maybe even into June. And while an 8-3-3 run in the last 14 games has shown some flashes of the kind of team many people expected, the Sabres have been left to hope they simply sneak into eighth place and grab the final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference.
Quote:
All three staff predictions in the season preview section produced by The Buffalo News picked the Sabres to lose in the Eastern Conference final.
Quote:
When ESPN.com did its preseason picks, six of eight personalities picked the Sabres to unseat the Boston Bruins and win the Northeast Division. SportsCenter anchor Linda Cohn, an avowed Rangers fan, had the Sabres losing to San Jose in the Stanley Cup final. Fellow anchor Steve Levy picked Buffalo to win its first Cup.
Quote:
"You're fooling yourself if you're just going to chalk up this disappointing season to injuries. That's insulting to your fans' intelligence. ... Specifically, it seems like an 'off' year for the key player on the team, Ryan Miller. That's not to say it's all his fault but my prediction (and I believe most would agree) was based on the fact that for the Sabres to be good, Miller had to be great and he hasn't been close.

"And I'm sure no one wants to hear this but it does seem to me as if the Milan Lucic hit on Miller that night in Boston will be remembered as the signature moment of a disappointing season for Buffalo."
Quote:
NHL.com writer Corey Masisak also had the Sabres in the Cup finals, losing in six games to Los Angeles after upsetting No. 1 Washington in the East final.

"I picked the Sabres to play for the Cup and after I saw them in Helsinki, I felt even better about it," Masisak said
Quote:
ESPN.com writer and TSN insider Pierre LeBrun, who picked the Sabres to lose in the East final, recalled a conversation he had with Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier in September in which they discussed the teams' high expectations.

"Could this team handle that? Like Regier, I took the leap of faith that it could," LeBrun said. "Like Regier, I was dead wrong. And yes, you cannot underestimate the injury losses this year. They had a huge impact. But I think you still have to delve deeper. And my opinion is that this current core doesn't have what it takes, between the ears, to be a winner.

"You cover enough Detroit Red Wings playoff games over the years and you understand that intangible. For that reason, it's imperative that Regier change the fabric of this core both before Monday's deadline and in the offseason."
Quote:
Not everyone was sold on the Sabres. The Hockey News picked them fifth in the East, and Yahoo! national hockey writer Nicholas Cotsonika didn't list the Sabres on a preseason top 10 of Stanley Cup contenders, largely because he had reservations about the contracts given to Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle742387.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
BCS

Quote:
Not everyone was sold on the Sabres. The Hockey News picked them fifth in the East
How does picking a team for fifth in the conference constitute not being sold? That's a pretty respectable finish.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Leino has been part of the problem, but not Ehrhoff.

I think it's safe to say we fell way short of expectations

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Leino has been part of the problem, but not Ehrhoff.

I think it's safe to say we fell way short of expectations
I don't think Leino has been part of the problem.

Every player on this team except for Pominville and Sekera have fallen short of the expectations handed to them before the season (even Vanek, whose months-long slump has moved him into the underachieving group).

I don't think any of Leino, Ehrhoff or Regehr have been bad. They just haven't been as good as we expected them to be, IMO.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Sabretip

LeBrun's comment about the mental make-up of the core is the most telling item IMO - and I suspect that a lot of others outside of Buffalo share the same view. Few probably doubt the talent level on the Sabres roster but many probably feel like LeBrun about their commitment and heart.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I don't think Leino has been part of the problem.

Every player on this team except for Pominville and Sekera have fallen short of the expectations handed to them before the season (even Vanek, whose months-long slump has moved him into the underachieving group).

I don't think any of Leino, Ehrhoff or Regehr have been bad. They just haven't been as good as we expected them to be, IMO.
There are so many things wrong about Leino....what he was paid in comparison to career max output... how he bombed at center.... how he looks lazy when he plays...how he is a turnover machine....I hope he doesn't become my Spacek of the Pegula era, where it reflects every bad taste of a particular time

Old
02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
slip

Obviously this season sucks. The question is where do we go from here?

I guess we'll find out over the next couple of hours.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Obviously this season sucks. The question is where do we go from here?

I guess we'll find out over the next couple of hours.
Regier is going to stand pat.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
There are so many things wrong about Leino....what he was paid in comparison to career max output... how he bombed at center.... how he looks lazy when he plays...how he is a turnover machine....I hope he doesn't become my Spacek of the Pegula era, where it reflects every bad taste of a particular time
In some ways, I hope Leino is like Spacek, in that Spacek sucked his first year and then got better (if my terrible memory serves me)

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
In some ways, I hope Leino is like Spacek, in that Spacek sucked his first year and then got better (if my terrible memory serves me)
He went piss poor, okay, poor, good...or something similar to that.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
BCS

Spacek's first season here was a nightmare, but the last two were solid. He averaged .12 GPG and .55 PPG over those two seasons (good for an 82-game average of 10 goals and 45 points).

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Sabres D pairs are much better now then when we started the season. I know feel confident when they are back in their zone trying to set up a break out. Every once in a while a mistake is made but it is not like the first 3 months were Sabres Dmen setting up the opposition with grade A chances is no longer the norm. I believe it took some time for the Dpairings to gel. But now they are solid. That has helped Miller too.

Should spell good for next season.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote