HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Support for Kevin Weekes

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Kluivert4Ever

vCash: 500
Support for Kevin Weekes

I understand his last couple of starts have not been stellar, but put yourself in his position. He has had to compete with a stellar rookie who has become a fan favourite, thus ever mistake Weekes makes gets maginfied and people screams for Lundqvist. Completely ignoring the fact that Kevin has had some pretty good starts for us, then he got injured and since his return he has only been in net sporadicaly while his "rival" gets more popular by the minute.

These are not optimal working conditions, I want to remind you that when Weekes got back from his first injury he struggled, much like he struggles now. But then he got the oppertunity to work through it, that he has not been given as of late and hence his struggles have continued. Henrik while he has been great he has had the exact opposite in terms of working condition, people WANT him in net, they cheer his saves while they wait to boo Weekes mistakes. He has also not been injured which is huge, because injuries to goaltenders influence them more than other players since they cannot work their way back like a forward could. If you dont stop the puck you are gone, which is exactly what has happened to Weekes.

Lundqvist is our number one guy at the moment but Kevin Weekes IS a good goaltender, he is just caught in the worst possible working conditions for him.
I hope gets some starts because I feel he deserve it and he is after all .500 and that INCLUDES his last couple of starts, which means he has won some games for us and in some he has been nothing short of stellar. He has also been let down by the team on many occasions, 1-2 Losses to Toronto and New Jersey come to mind.

In short, dont give up on him, he is better than we give him credit for.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
I understand his last couple of starts have not been stellar, but put yourself in his position. He has had to compete with a stellar rookie who has become a fan favourite, thus ever mistake Weekes makes gets maginfied and people screams for Lundqvist. Completely ignoring the fact that Kevin has had some pretty good starts for us, then he got injured and since his return he has only been in net sporadicaly while his "rival" gets more popular by the minute.
These are not optimal working conditions, I want to remind you that when Weekes got back from his first injury he struggled, much like he struggles now. But then he got the oppertunity to work through, that he has not been given as of late and hence his struggles have continued. Henrik while he has been great he has had the exact opposite in terms of working condition, people WANT him in net, they cheer his saves while they wait to boo Weekes mistakes. He has also not been injured which is huge, because injuries to goaltenders influence them more than other players since they cannot work their way back like a forward could. If you dont stop the puck you are gone, which is exactly what has happened to Weekes.

Lundqvist is our number one guy at the moment but Kevin Weekes IS a good goaltender, he is just caught in the worst possible working conditions for him.
I hope gets some starts because I feel he deserve it and he is after all .500 and that INCLUDES his last couple of starts, which means he has won some games for us and in some he has been nothing short of stellar. He has also been let down by the team on many occasions, 1-2 Losses to Toronto and New Jersey come to mind.

I dont think people would mind, IF he played up to his capabilities but he's letting in more than a few softies. It's not really how many he gives up, but how he gives them up.

But I do agree with you to some extent, I think people have been hard on him, especially around here.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dont think people would mind, IF he played up to his capabilities but he's letting in more than a few softies. It's not really how many he gives up, but how he gives them up.

But I do agree with you to some extent, I think people have been hard on him, especially around here.

He is letting in softies Edge, but most of those softies have come when has been working himself back from an injury, we saw it the first time but after a few (not sporadically) starts he regained form, that is until he got hurt again.
If Henrik would get hurt he would probably struggle a bit to upon his return, but if he would do that, people would not reacted nearly the same way they do when concerning Weekes.

Old
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:

These are not optimal working conditions, I want to remind you that when Weekes got back from his first injury he struggled, much like he struggles now. But then he got the oppertunity to work through it, that he has not been given as of late and hence his struggles have continued. Henrik while he has been great he has had the exact opposite in terms of working condition, people WANT him in net, they cheer his saves while they wait to boo Weekes mistakes. He has also not been injured which is huge, because injuries to goaltenders influence them more than other players since they cannot work their way back like a forward could. If you dont stop the puck you are gone, which is exactly what has happened to Weekes.

i dont know bout you, but for me every game begins from zero, so therefore i hope hes gonna show a good game and ill support him as far as i can. sure, i was one who wanted him to go, but that was always right after matches when he performed poorly. so just to make it simple.. im gonna support every ranger from the beginning of every game, poti and weekes included.. but if they screw up, ill get caught up in the moment and give them crap until i cool off and im a little more objective on the issue.

Old
01-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
i dont know bout you, but for me every game begins from zero, so therefore i hope hes gonna show a good game and ill support him as far as i can. sure, i was one who wanted him to go, but that was always right after matches when he performed poorly. so just to make it simple.. im gonna support every ranger from the beginning of every game, poti and weekes included.. but if they screw up, ill get caught up in the moment and give them crap until i cool off and im a little more objective on the issue.

I believe we are all functioning in that way, more or less. However when we look at certain aspects from a distans we can easily see how much more difficult it is for Kevin Weekes to perform as opposite to Henrik Lundqvist.
My objective is not to make excuses for Kevin everytime he lets a softie go by him but to try and paint a picture showing his side of the situation.
He has struggled with injuries, Henrik has not. Henrik has become a fan favourite, Kevin has not. When Henrik makes a save, the whole Garden cheers, when Kevin makes one they do the same, only sacrastically. I cannot speak for everyone but I feel for Kevin Weekes.

Old
01-27-2006, 10:20 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:

I agree 100%

a good example of this would be in the columbus game when the rangers lost 4-3. The first three of their goals were all scored in the first 10 minutes of play, in a game where weekes hadnt played in 11 days. After that first period, he played really well and if i remember correctly, the nash winner was not his fault.

good points Kluivert4Ever

Old
01-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Fletch

I fully support Weekes...

and I don't know how much more one could expect from a backup goaltender, which is what he is, and which is how he's being used; it's not the easiest transition.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and I don't know how much more one could expect from a backup goaltender, which is what he is, and which is how he's being used; it's not the easiest transition.

I expect a backup to make the saves he should at the very least. Weekes hasn't done that recently.

Like someone else said though, every new game for him is a fresh start for him in my book, but he really has to win a game one of these next few games he plays in.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
bottom line is that Lundqvist makes Weekes look worse than he is. (to fans)

Old
01-28-2006, 12:13 AM
DutchShamrock

Lundqvist didn't look too hot when he was only getting 1 start every 6 games. Think about it. We were making excuses cause he was a rookie and playing sporadically. Weekes is in the same boat but playing less. The Rangers also aren't putting up the same amount of goals as they were earlier in the season. This guy needs and should get 30 to 40% of the starts. Both will be fresh and effective. I've said this plenty of times and I'll stand by it. That Columbus game is a perfect example. 3 quick goals, 2 of which no one would save. Very solid the rest of the way but the poor guy got dragged through the mud afterwards. Weekes is solid and when played appropriately, this tandum will be effective the rest of the way.

Old
01-28-2006, 12:17 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'm pretty positive that post Olympics, Weekes will get a bunch of starts in a row while Lundqvist rests. What's our schedule look like after Torino?

Old
01-28-2006, 12:38 AM
SML

The problem is, was, and will always be that Kevin Weekes is too streaky to ever be considered a number one goalie. He can get hot, but you can't count on it. The fact that Lundqvist has firmly entrenched himself in the number one spot here may be a big crap sandwich for Weekes, but he's got nobody to blame. Renney, to a fault, went out of his way to stick his neck out to give this guy chances. Chances that made Renney look like a fool every time Weekes failed to respond. Do you wonder why you don't see Devil fans over on their board arguing the finer points of Scott Clemmensen and clamoring for him to get support? HE'S THE BACKUP. THAT'S THE JOB. If Weekes is unhappy playing that role or can't perform, then maybe he needs to go in favor of someone who is happy to be the backup and/or can mentally prepare himself for the role. The fact that this is still an issue this late in the season is puzzling to me. Renney has an obligation to his superiors, his players, and the fans to give his team the best possible chance of winning night in and night out. That means Lundqvist is in net unless he's tired. How can Brodeur play 70 games a year for 10 years, plus playoffs with no worry that he'll ever wear down and people here are worried about a guy who's 23 years old running out of gas?

Old
01-28-2006, 01:27 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
The problem is, was, and will always be that Kevin Weekes is too streaky to ever be considered a number one goalie. He can get hot, but you can't count on it. The fact that Lundqvist has firmly entrenched himself in the number one spot here may be a big crap sandwich for Weekes, but he's got nobody to blame. Renney, to a fault, went out of his way to stick his neck out to give this guy chances. Chances that made Renney look like a fool every time Weekes failed to respond. Do you wonder why you don't see Devil fans over on their board arguing the finer points of Scott Clemmensen and clamoring for him to get support? HE'S THE BACKUP. THAT'S THE JOB. If Weekes is unhappy playing that role or can't perform, then maybe he needs to go in favor of someone who is happy to be the backup and/or can mentally prepare himself for the role. The fact that this is still an issue this late in the season is puzzling to me. Renney has an obligation to his superiors, his players, and the fans to give his team the best possible chance of winning night in and night out. That means Lundqvist is in net unless he's tired. How can Brodeur play 70 games a year for 10 years, plus playoffs with no worry that he'll ever wear down and people here are worried about a guy who's 23 years old running out of gas?
Well lets see, Weekes has a different role then Clemmensen because Marty is not human in the fact that he can play that many games year in year out, and you can not expect that from a ROOKIE. With the remaining 30 games or so, i say give Lundqvist about 20 of them, while giving Weekes 10, so Lundqvist is not tired in the playoffs. Don't forget that he is playing in more games then he ever has in a single season. Yes he is the number one goalie, but to say that Weekes and Clemmensen have the same role is not correct, imo at least.

Old
01-28-2006, 02:31 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I agree mostly. The problem is someone else besides Lundqvist has got to take some games and a rusty Weekes has shown a tendency to get off to weak starts and leave the team scrambling to get back in the game. Maybe they haven't played as well for Kevin as they have for Henrik. They probably feel more comfortable with Henrik in the net. I have to wonder what Kevin is going to be like after the Olympics having sat around for 3 or 4 weeks. Kevin looked good earlier in the season. Now one wonders. Today's game would be a good one for him. The Rangers should beat Pittsburgh (which is not to say they will) if Kevin has a decent performance. Hopefully he doesn't let the first few shots in if he is in net. It would be nice if he could get 10-12 starts the rest of the way. But he's got to stop giving up soft ones especially early in games.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:38 AM
Edge

Quote:
He is letting in softies Edge, but most of those softies have come when has been working himself back from an injury, we saw it the first time but after a few (not sporadically) starts he regained form, that is until he got hurt again.
If Henrik would get hurt he would probably struggle a bit to upon his return, but if he would do that, people would not reacted nearly the same way they do when concerning Weekes.

To some extent but 3 goals in 10 minutes is a bit much and it hasn't always been like he's gone 3 weeks between starts. He has gotten his share of back to back etc.

Again I pretty much agree with you. I think fans have been rough on him, but I also think Weekes hasn't quite played to his capabilities consistently.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to wow them, but the goals he allows almost always seem to be back breakers. It's like the guy who plays hard but always takes a penalty at the worst possible time.

I personally don't mind him, but i can see where some of the feelings are coming from. At the end of the day this team needs someone reliable to spell Lundqvist. The olympics, everything is gonna add up on Lundy. This team is going to need to manage their resources for the next 3 months.

Old
01-28-2006, 08:32 AM
shoothepuck

I can't feel sorry for a paid pro athlete who is not performing. I would love to cheer at every save Weekes makes, but when you go 0-4-1, it's hard to do, plus look at some of the crap goals he let in. The fact that he was technically the #1 goalie, and then lost his spot to a rookie, by poor play or injury, dosn't matter. Like SML said, he was known to be streaky and that will always be his problem. NY needs to ride the hot goalie, and have a competant back-up, right now Weekes hasn't shown he can be either.

Old
01-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Fletch

Weekes is no worse than Esche...

Philly's current backup, or Clemmenson in Jersey, or Cam Ward in Carolina. Those are backups with similar stats to Weekes on teams that are competing with the Rangers, and who have near-similar records.

Yeah, there are goals that he'd like to have back, but at the same time, there are plenty of saves that he makes to stop him from giving up 6 or 7 goals. Weekes exposes the weak defense to a certain extent. I'm not trying to absolve him for any weak goal - but unfortunately for him, a few goal stealing saves, a result of shots taken on a weak defense, are overlooked.

Old
01-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Fletch

Edge...

I think it's been a while since Weekes played in back to back games. If I had to guess, it would've been in November, when he had a GAA of 2.30 and a save % of .917. We're almost four week(e)s into 2006 and he's played in 2 games. His numbers are better when he's getting more starts (as I'd imagine's the case with many goalies).

Old
01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Philly's current backup, or Clemmenson in Jersey, or Cam Ward in Carolina. Those are backups with similar stats to Weekes on teams that are competing with the Rangers, and who have near-similar records.
I think the main problem is that Weekes isn't a backup, when he's successful over his career he's played 50 games

I'd guess that his numbers while spot starting is worse than Esche's, Clemmenson and Ward's numbers.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:27 PM
SML

Weekes is not a bad guy, and he's not a bad goalie. He just doesn't fit here. He needs more work than we can justify giving him to be successful. No big deal, we just need somebody who fits what we have to offer. I liken it to a closing pitcher in baseball. Not every guy is mentally cut out for the role. That's why you have starters and guys who aren't. I think we'll have the same situation soon enough when Montoya breaks in. The guy's play and personality are not made up for being a backup. I figure by then, it'll be easier to drage the statue of liberty out of the harbor than it will be to knock Lundqvist out of NY. So I figure the least the NYR can do for Weekes is get him to a place where he can be allowed to further his career.

Old
01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
BigE

He's got my support. I can put myself in his shoes, and feel the situation.

I'd like to see him stay because I feel he's the second guy we need. I certainly don't understand the harsh criticisms of him...although I have my theories.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
I think it's been a while since Weekes played in back to back games. If I had to guess, it would've been in November, when he had a GAA of 2.30 and a save % of .917. We're almost four week(e)s into 2006 and he's played in 2 games. His numbers are better when he's getting more starts (as I'd imagine's the case with many goalies).
Not just a little over a month ago he got in a bunch of games:

12/10 @STL W 5-4 1 61 1 0 0 4 3.93 31 27 .871 0 0
12/13 VAN L 3-2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0 0 1.000 0 0
12/18 COL L 2-1 1 59 0 1 0 2 2.03 17 15 .882 0 0
12/20 NJ L 3-1 1 59 0 1 0 2 2.03 31 29 .935 1 0
12/22 TB W 4-2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0 0 1.000 0 0
12/26 @OTT L 6-2 1 14 0 1 0 4 17.14 15 11 .733 0 0

That's four out of 6 games.

Going back to November and before, he got even more starts and his numbers weren't that great either. I don't think the problem per say is how he's playing now, but how he was playing even when he did get the starts. So if he was playing mediocre with the starts, and less than medicre without them, where does he fit?

If you start him and he's average and you sit him and he's below average that creates a somewhat nasty position to be in. Not good enough to justify starting over one of the top goalies in the league and not good enough to rely on to fill the role of regular backup.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
He's got my support. I can put myself in his shoes, and feel the situation.

I'd like to see him stay because I feel he's the second guy we need. I certainly don't understand the harsh criticisms of him...although I have my theories.
I think I know exactly what route yto're going for and don't.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:17 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Kevin should be traded to the St. Louis Blues for Richie Pilon remember him?

Closed Thread