HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang for Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2003, 04:22 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Lang for Captain?

Is this Robert Lang for real? It's standard practice for most veteran players to have a transition year going to a new team. Lang's 69pts was his second best season. It's realistic to conclude that he is settle in and this is the level of play that we are going to see from him. His 108pt pace may be more like 90 by season's end but 90 seems very doable. Its also what we have been expecting from Jagr. And some thought that Lang was overpaid at $5m. Who knew?
With the C up for grabs on this team, is Lang proving that he should stay and that he is in fact the leader?

Old
11-13-2003, 05:14 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Is this Robert Lang for real? It's standard practice for most veteran players to have a transition year going to a new team. Lang's 69pts was his second best season. It's realistic to conclude that he is settle in and this is the level of play that we are going to see from him. His 108pt pace may be more like 90 by season's end but 90 seems very doable. Its also what we have been expecting from Jagr. And some thought that Lang was overpaid at $5m. Who knew?
With the C up for grabs on this team, is Lang proving that he should stay and that he is in fact the leader?

He's certainly making a case for it. Big question is....does his play make him more tradable now? If so, what kind of message woud it send to the team, and the fans if we moved him?

I was usually happy with Lang last season. At times, I thought he was weak with the puck, but what else can you ask for? He almost tied his career best season last year. Now he's poised for a breakout season.

Old
11-13-2003, 05:25 AM
st_roland

I think we should trade him. His trade value is as high as it will ever get right now, and we could get a couple of important pieces for the future for him, especially considering some of the Gms around the league who are huge homers. I'm not saying we should have a fire sale, but we could get a helluva a defensemen, plus nylanders coming back and he was golden for us last year. What d-man do you guys think we should go after?

Old
11-13-2003, 06:25 AM
txpd

Let's be honest about this. NO team is going to part with Top quality prospects with a salary cap world coming. If a contending team is willing to trade a ready to step play, potential impact player, prospect for a veteran money contract player, then its a signal that its unlikely that there will be a season next year or even the year after. If teams
think that this will be resolved that there will be a cap and a season next year, they will keep their top prospects. Because they will need them. I sincerely doubt that the Capitals will be offered high grade young players, either already in the league or ready to play, for any of their top players. they need to decide which they are willing to give away and which they are not. My guess is that they could trade Jagr and pay somebody to take him and it wouldn't hurt them PR wise with the fans. If they gave Lang away while he was in the top 5 in scoring, that would hurt.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
On one hand, 90 pts for Lang seems unrealistic, because well, he's Lang. But on the other hand, if he's scoring like this when the team is complete crap, perhaps he'll heat up even more. Who knows. I couldn't really see him finishing the season with more than 75 points though when it's all said and done.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:08 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
On one hand, 90 pts for Lang seems unrealistic, because well, he's Lang. But on the other hand, if he's scoring like this when the team is complete crap, perhaps he'll heat up even more. Who knows. I couldn't really see him finishing the season with more than 75 points though when it's all said and done.
Consider this. The Capitals are back to being a one power play unit team. Jagr has scored 2 ppg's, Gonchar just 1 ppg. If those guys were to score on the power play consistantly along with Bondra, Lang's ppg points will go up, not down.

Lang had 69 pts last year. Most of that time he was not on the 1st pp unit. If he was, Jagr controlled the puck and all the play was on the other side of the ice. Lang controls the puck now. The main threat to Lang having a big season at this point is not so much Lang as it is who might get traded. Maybe him...maybe Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar.

That would effect his numbers. On the otherhand 75pts is about what Jagr has produced over the last two years.

Closed Thread