HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I'd like us to take a shot at Jack Black Garnet Exelby. Would love to see him in Minnesota, personally, and his cap hit isn't bad either.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
John Scott's played in the NHL too(more than Syvret, Liffiton, or Smaby). Why doesn't he make your list?
He's been with the Wild and he isn't what we really need.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Ugh. We're going to be budging up tight against the 50 contract as Larsson, Brodin, Coyle, Zucker, Phillips, and Granlund apparently aren't counting for the 50 limit. Oh and Bulmer. Which means, we're going to have to be dumping some players.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo
Ugh. We're going to be budging up tight against the 50 contract as Larsson, Brodin, Coyle, Zucker, Phillips, and Granlund apparently aren't counting for the 50 limit. Oh and Bulmer. Which means, we're going to have to be dumping some players.
As was explained to you in the other thread, no. We have 28 players under contract next season. We have 22 free contract spots going into next year.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
As was explained to you in the other thread, no. We have 28 players under contract next season. We have 22 free contract spots going into next year.
And as I have explained, we need to rebuild our AHL team in case of call ups like this year. While it might not be as extreme as it was this year, we still need to have some veterans and some players down in the AHL.

It will also make situations like going after a college free agent very interesting.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
And as I have explained, we need to rebuild our AHL team in case of call ups like this year. While it might not be as extreme as it was this year, we still need to have some veterans and some players down in the AHL.

It will also make situations like going after a college free agent very interesting.
Most of our prospects will likely be in the AHL next year. Were replacing no-names and who-the-hell-is-that-guy's with real players with the potential to actually fill top 6 roles.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Most of our prospects will likely be in the AHL next year. Were replacing no-names and who-the-hell-is-that-guy's with real players with the potential to actually fill top 6 roles.
That's all well and fine but you still need veterans like Taffe down in the AHL. There is a reason why guys like Foucault was one of our last call ups. Playing yo-yo with a guy isn't that good for his development and they may want to keep guys like Zucker and Coyle in the AHL to develop the entire year instead of yanking them back and forth.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

First of all, no. The AHL team will be fine with the additions of our top prospects. Additional adjustments will be minor.

Second of all, 22 open contract spots. No matter how you try and spin that, we don't have an issue with too many contracts.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
That's all well and fine but you still need veterans like Taffe down in the AHL. There is a reason why guys like Foucault was one of our last call ups. Playing yo-yo with a guy isn't that good for his development and they may want to keep guys like Zucker and Coyle in the AHL to develop the entire year instead of yanking them back and forth.
Almond, Rau, Palmer, Fontaine, Cuma, Kampfer. Young, but not rookies.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Foucault is probably on a one year deal right? Well the Aeros themselves can sign him then. The Wild own the Aeros. Its not that hard of a jump for the veterans we need to dump but want to stay with the AHL club to sign directly with the Aeros.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
First of all, no. The AHL team will be fine with the additions of our top prospects. Additional adjustments will be minor.
WE DON'T HAVE AN AHL TEAM if we don't sign back a few more guys. That's the point. We're going to be replacing a few players but that's the majority of our AHL team that we're missing.

So what? We're going to skate 6 players and call it day?

Quote:
Second of all, 22 open contract spots. No matter how you try and spin that, we don't have an issue with too many contracts.
No, not 22 open contract spots. Bulmer, Coyle, Zucker, Granlund, Larsson, Phillips (if he joins), and Brodin will take 7 of those slots. So 15 slots.

We still need to have at least a few more players in the AHL to actually, you know play and teach the kids a few things.

Then that's meaning Palms and Lats aren't coming back if we want to keep 2 more slots open.

How about a rookie FA college kid? or two?

How about a free agent or two?

Quote:
Foucault is probably on a one year deal right? Well the Aeros themselves can sign him then. The Wild own the Aeros. Its not that hard of a jump for the veterans we need to dump but want to stay with the AHL club to sign directly with the Aeros.
Except then we can't call them up, and there might be an issue with the CBA on that.

I think you're limited on so many (and they are limited).

So this is the list of free agents:
Latendresse
Foster
Harding
Palmieri
Christensen
Lundin
Johnson
Stoner
Kassian
Veilleux
Peters
Ortmeyer
Falk
Palmer
Fredheim
Penner
Rau
DiSalvatore
McMillan
Taffe
Almond
Endras
McIntyre
Genoway

Coming in:
Brodin
Coyle
Zucker
Bulmer
Phillips
Granlund
Larsson

Here's the players that play in the AHL on contract:
5 Jeff Penner D L 5-10 185 Apr 13, 1987 Steinbach, MB
7 Kris Fredheim D R 6-2 192 Feb 23, 1987 Campbell River, BC
12 Cody Almond C L 6-2 217 Jul 24, 1989 Calgary, AB
14 Jon DiSalvatore RW R 6-1 200 Mar 30, 1981 Bangor, ME
20 Chad Rau C R 5-11 186 Jan 18, 1987 Eden Prairie, MN
22 Jeff Taffe C L 6-3 210 Feb 19, 1981 Hastings, MN
26 David McIntyre C L 6-0 185 Feb 4, 1987 Pefferlaw, ON
27 Carson McMillan C R 6-2 194 Sep 10, 1988 Brandon, MB
39 Chay Genoway D L 5-9 177 Dec 20, 1986 Morden, MB

And these guys are either in the NHL or injured:

Latendresse
Foster
Harding
Palmieri
Christensen
Lundin
Johnson
Stoner
Kassian
Veilleux
Peters
Ortmeyer
Falk

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 02-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 03:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
WE DON'T HAVE AN AHL TEAM if we don't sign back a few more guys. That's the point. We're going to be replacing a few players but that's the majority of our AHL team that we're missing.

No, not 22 open contract spots. Bulmer, Coyle, Zucker, Granlund, Larsson, Phillips (if he joins), and Brodin will take 7 of those slots. So 15 slots.

We still need to have at least a few more players in the AHL to actually, you know play and teach the kids a few things.

Then that's meaning Palms and Lats aren't coming back if we want to keep 2 more slots open.

No. All of those players (except Coyle and Granlund) are counted.

How difficult is this concept?

We

Have

Open

Contract

Spots

Coyle and Granlund are not signed, so they will take two spots. We still have 20 open contract spots to sign 3-5 AHL players and 5-10 NHL players. Amazing! That still leaves us with (a worse case scenario) 5 open contract spots!

Old
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Then we'll sign some guys. What are you so worried about? No experience at the AHL level?

Old
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Re-sign:
Lats
Palmieri
Falk
Johnson
Genoway
Rau

Expire:
Foster
Lundin
Christensen
Harding
Stoner
Veilleux
Endras
Penner
Fredheim

Sign:
Granlund
Brodin
Phillips
Bulmer
Larsson
Coyle

Maybe?
Palmer
Peters
Ortmeyer
Jobke
Kassian
McIntyre
Almond
Taffe
McMillan
DiSalvatore

So of 48 contracts, we:
- renew 6
- add 6
- drop 9

Net = 45

There are 10 guys we could potentially re-up, but most of them are AHL'ers who could be replaced by entry-level contracts.

Not to mention off-season trades.

I'm just not worried about the 50 contract limit right now.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
No. All of those players (except Coyle and Granlund) are counted.
Nope. They aren't.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/page...wild-contracts

Brett Bulmer

League:
WHL

NHL Contract:
Y

Rights:
RFA 2014

Counts toward the 50?
N

Quote:
Coyle and Granlund are not signed, so they will take two spots. We still have 20 open contract spots to sign 3-5 AHL players and 5-10 NHL players. Amazing! That still leaves us with (a worse case scenario) 5 open contract spots!
Actually we have to sign back 9 AHL players and around 10 NHL players.

Leaving us with around 3 contracts we can play with.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not all AHL'ers need to have 2-way deals though.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Re-sign:
Lats
Palmieri
Falk
Johnson
Genoway
Rau

Expire:
Foster
Lundin
Christensen
Harding
Stoner
Veilleux
Endras
Penner
Fredheim

Sign:
Granlund
Brodin
Phillips
Bulmer
Larsson
Coyle

Maybe?
Palmer
Peters
Ortmeyer
Jobke
Kassian
McIntyre
Almond
Taffe
McMillan
DiSalvatore

So of 48 contracts, we:
- renew 6
- add 6
- drop 9

Net = 45

There are 10 guys we could potentially re-up, but most of them are AHL'ers who could be replaced by entry-level contracts.

Not to mention off-season trades.

I'm just not worried about the 50 contract limit right now.
The problem is; we need to replace 9 players in the AHL and 10 players in the NHL (if we want to carry 23). That's with Lundin and Latendresse out. If we can stick PMB on the LTIR that would help.

I don't know if we can get Houston to sign more PTOs (still a bit wish washy on the entire PTO vs NHL contract) but the roster we have next year is this:

Heatley
Koivu
Cullen
Setoguchi
Clutterbuck
Brodziak
Powe
Gilbert
Scandella
Spurgeron
Prosser
Backstrom
Hackett

Maybe: Bouchard unless we stick him on the shelf (and I don't know if that counts or not)

So between 13-14 NHL players

In the AHL they have...Uh...I actually don't know. Not many I know that. Foucault, Broda, Kuemper, Cuma, Bagnall...so five players are signed to NHL contracts.

So that means:

23 - 5 = 16 players they need to sign to fill out their roster (which can also be done with some PTOs but not all)
23- 13 = 10 players we need to sign back to fill out our roster

It'll be tight.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Nope. They aren't.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/page...wild-contracts

Brett Bulmer

League:
WHL

NHL Contract:
Y

Rights:
RFA 2014

Counts toward the 50?
N
This is probably the dumbest post I have ever seen on HF.

Minnesota Wild Reserve List for 2012-2013

We have 28 contracts for next season. Jonas Brodin's contract is our only slide risk. If he slides, we only have 27 contracts that count against the 50 contract maximum. As you can clearly see, Bulmer, Brodin, Phillips, and Larsson are all listed. I apparently missed Zucker in my previous roundup.

Players who will be in Houston under the 28 contracts currently on the books:

Phillips
Cuma
Hackett (likely in NHL)
Bulmer (possible NHL)
Larsson (possible NHL)
Kuemper
Bagnall
Fontaine
Medvec
Foucault
Broda
Jobke
Caron

Old
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
This is probably the dumbest post I have ever seen on HF.

Minnesota Wild Reserve List for 2012-2013
I'm only taking the information one of our best posters have provided, which is saying that Bulmer's contract doesn't count toward the 50 contract total. IS he wrong? Who knows?

Quote:
Players who will be in Houston under the 28 contracts currently on the books:

Phillips
Cuma
Hackett (likely in NHL)
Bulmer (possible NHL)
Larsson (possible NHL)
Kuemper
Bagnall
Fontaine
Medvec
Foucault
Broda
Jobke
Caron
So that's 10 players...meaning we need another 13 players to flesh out the AHL roster. (28 + 13 = 41...) if Hackett, Larsson, and Bulmer make the hump. I would bump that down to around 6-7 contracts because I think we have quiet a few AHL PTOs. So that's what 35 roughly? And then we still need 10-11 NHL players, depending on if Bouchard comes back. So what? 45 contracts? Give or take one or two in the AHL.

That's still pretty close especially if injuries start creeping up on us again.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
I'm only taking the information one of our best posters have provided, which is saying that Bulmer's contract doesn't count toward the 50 contract total. IS he wrong? Who knows?

So that's 10 players...meaning we need another 13 players to flesh out the AHL roster. (28 + 13 = 41...) if Hackett, Larsson, and Bulmer make the hump. I would bump that down to around 6-7 contracts because I think we have quiet a few AHL PTOs. So that's what 35 roughly? And then we still need 10-11 NHL players, depending on if Bouchard comes back. So what? 45 contracts? Give or take one or two in the AHL.

That's still pretty close especially if injuries start creeping up on us again.
What part of the Aeros can sign contracts with some players directly dont you understand?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
What part of the Aeros can sign contracts with some players directly dont you understand?
That's why I removed 6-7 contracts from the 13 we need!

Old
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
That's why I removed 6-7 contracts from the 13 we need!
Well remove a few more, because if the Aeros want someone and the Wild dont see a role for him as a callup, there is no reason he needs to have a contract with the Wild.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Well remove a few more, because if the Aeros want someone and the Wild dont see a role for him as a callup, there is no reason he needs to have a contract with the Wild.
I don't think it works that way. PTOs are only for 25 days, so I don't think Houston is going to be constantly signing guys every month just to fill out 10 spots. They could sign someone to an ATO but the problem is, finding guys that will take an ATO but as well, half the team under an ATO?

Minnesota wouldn't roll the dice like that.

BTW I figured Gustafsson will need a contract (limitations), hence why 45.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well it's never been an issue before and I can't imagine it being an issue now. Between Houston and Minnesota you only have, what, 46 roster spots?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well it's never been an issue before and I can't imagine it being an issue now. Between Houston and Minnesota you only have, what, 46 roster spots?
Yep...46 roster spots give or take. I could see about 1/4 in the AHL being AHL contracts...but then we have prospects and such.

BTW do we do lose Gustafsson in the off-season?

Closed Thread