HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Old
02-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Giving Sather two grades because I'm still trying to digest it..

A - For not giving in and overpaying

D - Because we didn't address any needs, none.

Sorry, still gathering myself emotionally, want to stick with the "A", but Scott? Ouch..

Last edited by Jackpot: 02-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Levitate

Needs either weren't super pressing or there wasn't a deal to be had IMO.

The Rangers could have used some depth, but it's not a big deal that they didn't get a 3rd defenseman or 3rd/4th line center.

Any scoring needs could only have been realistically addressed by Nash and that just wasn't gonna happen.

Scott just seems like a move made to make a move, so whatever.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

No grade.

This season hinges on Hank, as well as Cally and Gaborik being able to score in the playoffs. Let's hope they can do it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

A+ for getting a 3rd out of Wolski (I know, pre-deadline).

A+ for not trading away any youth or prospects

A+ for not overpaying for anyone

Fact is that there weren't really any big trades today. Teams wanted way too much and it just wasn't worth it. The Rangers aren't in the position they were 18 years ago where they were trying to break the 54 year curse. There's no reason to mortgage our future for a shot at the Cup this year. Plus with Henrik playing like how he is, the current team has a good shot. This team is looking great and can only get better as more prospects get integrated and our younger players enter their primes.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JoeRangers

Rangers have absolutely no depth at forward if someone gets hurt. Its either Bickel at forward or call up MZA. Not good either way

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The fact that so many teams felt that if they got in the playoffs they could do something through the asking prices out of whack. Gaustad for a 1st??!!

Not sure what was really out there that could really improve this team. Scott while an odd pickup and very disliked in Chicago may serve a purpose against the Bruins and Flyers who tend to goon it up when they get frustrated.

WheresBarnaby

um wouldn't give sather too much credit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...202126148.html

"There were suitors and there were offers the New York Rangers made a massive one, according to Darren Dreger but Nash remains in Columbus. Which is awkward."

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

C. Great return for Wolski who had no value. Scott is alright I guess. It's also good that we didn't trade any big assets (despite reports that Slats was willing to for Nash). Big loss for not trading for any offensive talent though. I feel Kostitsyn would have been a good player for us.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
BwayBshirt

A.

Again, there wasn't anybody out there worth a damn that was/is better than what the Rangers have on the roster or available to the roster right now.

People who are upset just want to *****.

The fact that you have a slew of teams going nowhere/likely not going anywhere who are willing to keep UFA's likely not to return to them rather than get something...anything...for them tells you all you need to know about the state of the trade deadline.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Rangers shoulda tried to get Hodgson imho. If he was available for Kassian, I think the Rangers coulda made a good trade there. Dubinsky+ for Hodgson? I woulda done that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
None of the pieces that were moved really excite me, so I don't feel like we really missed out. Hodgson would have been nice, but who were we shipping out to get him?

Scott is fine. I'm okay with this.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Rangers shoulda tried to get Hodgson imho. If he was available for Kassian, I think the Rangers coulda made a good trade there. Dubinsky+ for Hodgson? I woulda done that.
Do you think that Vancouver would have tried to make a deal involving Hodgson with a team that they could potentially see in the Finals this year?

I know I don't w/o a significant overpayment.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm the parody? You're everything bad about the "THE FUTURE IS EVERYTHING, SCREW THE PRESENT" crowd rolled into one. Hilarious.

(Seriously though, the Republic is terrible. . The Allegory is the only part that doesn't make me want to headbutt a window.)
I've been out in front of you guys on most things since I've started posting here. Back when you guys were rallying for Sather to be fired recently, I was posting Sather Appreciation Threads saying our time was soon. There was a plan. When you guys wanted Torts fired, I said no, he's going to lead this team to good things.

This was not because I'm some sort of blind optimist. Not at all. I'm a Mets fan. That's all that needs to be said about that.

I believe we will win the cup at least once over the next five years or so. I believe we'll do it by staying to course. And I think it'll be that much sweater winning with a hard working homegrown group like this.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out soon enough. Unfortunately, not until it's already happened.

edit: posted here since it seems like the logical carry over from the trade deadline GDT

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Pretty happy with the deadline, Sather did not force anything. some people may think this is a mirage, we are in first place but we don't deserve to be. I look at it differently, we are in first place despite Dubi, Brad, AA, Staal and the PP struggling. While are assimilating couple of rookies.
This team definitely needs scoring, but there was nothing crossing the wires that made me think Rangers missed out on anything.
With Hagelin having more experience, , Sauer and Staal back to form, Kreider having a decent rookie year this will be a better team next season.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I'm perfectly fine with the way things turned out. A 1st for Gaustad? No thanks. I would've done a 2nd and 5th for Kostitsyn, but you can't complain that someone else got him for that. We would've had to beat the offer for him to come here.

Pretty happy that we didn't give up a bunch of assets for Nash. Became accepting of the Dubinsky/McIlrath/Thomas/1st package. But didn't want anything to do with giving up more than that. Sounds like we probably offered more and it got turned down anyway. Good riddance.

As for forward depth... I wonder if we're going to see Casey Wellman up at any point. Playing decently in CT and in the process of learning our system.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Bardof425*

If you believe we need to try and win this year because who knows what next year will bring then it's an F. We did not improve our team; in fact we hurt our team by moving two skilled guys who didn't fit Torts' system.

If you (like I do) believe that we are a year or two away from having the kind of scoring that we will need to win, then I give a B- for not meeting what seem like ridiculous demands from Howson. What would Boyes or Roy cost? That's my question. Would Boyle have helped the Nash deal once Paulsson was dealt? We could have included him and traded for Gaustad and upgraded big time. Boyle needs to be a 4th liner and Hags needs to be a 3rd liner for us to be strong up front. And Prust, Feds and Rupp need to be on the 4the line as well. I will be surprised if we get past the first round. Too much inexperience and too little scoring.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
The fact that you have a slew of teams going nowhere/likely not going anywhere who are willing to keep UFA's likely not to return to them rather than get something...anything...for them tells you all you need to know about the state of the trade deadline.
It's turning into the NFL. In football the trade deadline is never a big deal. You may see a couple trades, but that's about it. Parity (especially with a bogus points system) will do that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jim Morrison

So, because of one good season we're a freaking dynasty now? We'll compete every year? We're having a fantastic year so far and we have a shot at the cup - WE NEED TO DO THE BEST WE CAN TO GET THAT CUP.

Who the hell knows what future seasons will look like? What if this is a flash in the pan? Look at Edmonton and Carolina for example. You need to do the best with what you've got at the moment. A player like McGinn, Kostitsyn or Hodgson would've helped our secondary scoring tremendously. I just think this shows a lack of winning desire.

This is/WAS our window. Let's hope it's enough.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
F for not addressing scoring AT ALL.

A+ for me being owed a tequila!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Adding a 3rd line defensive forward would have been redundant. 2nd/3rd line scoring forwards who actually score in real life, instead of just in theory, were not available. Rick Nash would have cost so much that it would've been a step backwards.

I'm perfectly okay with the inactivity. There was no apparent way to improve this teams odds of winning the Cup this year without disproportionately hindering our odds of doing so in the next few years.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Vitto79

oh well this team is first in the East.....they have a few good call ups in Zuke and Erixon if need be

No big deals today. It was all overpayment really.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I've been out in front of you guys on most things since I've started posting here. Back when you guys were rallying for Sather to be fired recently, I was posting Sather Appreciation Threads saying our time was soon. There was a plan. When you guys wanted Torts fired, I said no, he's going to lead this team to good things.

This was not because I'm some sort of blind optimist. Not at all. I'm a Mets fan. That's all that needs to be said about that.

I believe we will win the cup at least once over the next five years or so. I believe we'll do it by staying to course. And I think it'll be that much sweater winning with a hard working homegrown group like this.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out soon enough. Unfortunately, not until it's already happened.

edit: posted here since it seems like the logical carry over from the trade deadline GDT
The "plan" was to have Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton get him good prospects, and have those same guys remind him it's not smart to sign Chris Drury, Wade Redden and Scott Gomez.

Slats has been good for the past 2 years...any "appreciation threads" before that would actually be blind optimism.

I believe we'll win the cup, too. But not before some tweaking, and mainly because Hank is the best goaltender in the world.

Really, you're obnoxiously full of yourself so i'm not even going to bother debating anymore. Next you'll tell me you foresaw the Gomez signing as amazing because you knew we'd get Ryan McDonagh. The icing on the cake was acting like you were some enlightened higher being for appreciating Plato.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
So, because of one good season we're a freaking dynasty now? We'll compete every year? We're having a fantastic year so far and we have a shot at the cup - WE NEED TO DO THE BEST WE CAN TO GET THAT CUP.

Who the hell knows what future seasons will look like? What if this is a flash in the pan? Look at Edmonton and Carolina for example. You need to do the best with what you've got at the moment. A player like McGinn, Kostitsyn or Hodgson would've helped our secondary scoring tremendously. I just think this shows a lack of winning desire.

This is/WAS our window. Let's hope it's enough.
There is no comparison between this team and the examples of Edmonton and Carolina. We're a lot more similar to Pittsburgh, minus the over-the-top talent, than those teams. Carolina had some young pieces, but the bulk of that team was aging. Edmonton got hot, but that team was already on the decline from the low heights they had achieved the few years before.

This is a young team with a couple of vets on it. We're still up and coming, but in desperate need of playoff experience. Sounds like Pittsburgh the first year they were contending (oh, and by the way... it also sounds like nearly every up and coming team over the last 30 years).

Too much overreaction going on here. This team should have been a 4-6 seed this year. We're ahead of the curve.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Reading through some of these posts is hilarious. Reminds me of an old saying. In theory, theory is as good as practice.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
F for not addressing scoring AT ALL.

A+ for me being owed a tequila!
I still don't understand who you would've acquired to address the scoring issue.