HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jersey retirements?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
PJT

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PJT
Jersey retirements?

I was wondering why Briere is the only jersey that's hanging above Mellon arena, considering the guys we've pulled in over the past 20 years.

Who do you think the Pens should hang in the rafters in the near future? Surely there's more out there than Lemieux and Briere..

Here's my picks:

1. Obviously, Lemieux. That'll happen this year.

2. I want to see Ron Francis' jersey up there. His best years were with Pittsburgh, and he's definitely in the top 10 hockey players of all time list in my opinion.

3. Brian Trottier. Even though his best years were with the Islanders, he was instrumental in both of our cups and a great leader for the team.

4. Jagr. The city hates him now, but up until 2001 he was loved here and the 1b to Lemieux's 1a. He gave us the best years of his career, and was very instrumental in the 2 cups as well as most of our playoff hopes in the mid and late 90s.

5. Joe Mullen. 'Nuff said.

I'd love to say Coffey, but I don't feel he was around long enough to have a retired jersey on the ceiling. His best days were elsewhere, for sure. Him and Larry Murphy are two players that come to mind as honorable mentions.

Old
01-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I don't think they should retire Trottier's, it would be kind of like the Avs retiring Bourque's number. He was a great player, but his best years were clearly with another team.

Old
01-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Zoo

I'm all for...

#10 Francis

#68 Jagr

And maybe...

#35 Barrasso

One thing though, I wonder if the pens will retire Lemiuex jersey in the new style not the old one.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
SlapnutsV1

Jagr's number is a lock to be retired. Francis' is one I'd love to see. Barrasso I'm not so sure about, but it's a possibility.

Is Michel Briere's number actually retired, or do the Penguins just not issue it?

Old
01-25-2006, 11:39 AM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_of_66
Is Michel Briere's number actually retired, or do the Penguins just not issue it?
Its retired.

Francis wont be retired.

Barasso and Jagr would be the only possibles but with Barasso's not having been done already and Jagr having burnt his bridges those will likely not get up either.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Jagr will be retired someday, if only because of how easy it is to retire a number like 68.

Barasso, I can't see it. I'd be all for it, but the ship is sailing.

The Penguins have issued #10 a couple times since Ronny left leaving me to think the number will stay the course. Same with Mullen.

I'd be for Jagr, Francis, and Barasso, in that order, but the only one I'd bet money on would be Jagr.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
WVP

Briere, Lemieux and Jagr would be fine.

Old
01-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
66, 68, and hopefully 87, 17, and 29

Old
01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Verbeek
Human see, human do.

don't hold your breath. The only reason Briere's is retired is because of his tragic accident, and well.. Lemieux is Lemieux.

No disrespect to any players listed, but not all franchises just throw out number retirements like hotcakes. (NOTICE: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) The Pens won't follow this trend.

Anyway, I'd like to see the new banner the pens well almost definatly have to unviel for Lemieux.

Old
01-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Czech Your Math

#66 and #68 have to be retired. Two of the best forwards to ever play hockey.

Old
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
GoMario

[QUOTE=Czech Your Math]#66 and #68 have to be retired. Two of the best forwards to ever play hockey.[/QUOTE

My thoughts exactly. I also wouldn't mind Francis #10 going up to the rafters

Old
01-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Metallian*

I say no to Jagr due to the way he left the team

i love the guy still though, but he went out so classless that i wouldnt retire his number. he didnt respect the city/team, why should they respect him and honor his number?

Old
01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
hrd2imagin

In a city like Pittsburgh, you can only retire the numbers of Pittsburgh sports legends.

(From Wikipedia)

Pirates:
1 - Billy Meyer, manager, 1948-52
4 - Ralph Kiner, OF, 1946-53
8 - Willie Stargell, 1B, 1962-82
9 - Bill Mazeroski, 2B, 1956-72
20 - Pie Traynor, 3B, 1920-37; manager, 1934-39
21 - Roberto Clemente, OF, 1955-72
33 - Honus Wagner, SS, 1900-17, wore number as a coach, 1933-51
40 - Danny Murtaugh, manager, 1957-64, 1967

Steelers:
12 - Terry Bradshaw
31 - Donnie Shell
32 - Franco Harris
47 - Mel Blount, see below
52 - Mike Webster
58 - Jack Lambert
59 - Jack Ham, see below
63 - Dermontti Dawso
75 - Joe Greene

Penguins:
21 Michel Brière
66 Mario Lemieux

Do you really think that Jaromir Jagr and Tom Barasso fit in with the likes of these other Pittsburgh greats? Um, no. The only other Penguin I'd consider retiring the number of is Ron Francis. The guy was so great, every night and nobody noticed for 20 years. Carolina might do it, but the Pens should because his cups were here.

Old
01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd2imagin
Do you really think that Jaromir Jagr and Tom Barasso fit in with the likes of these other Pittsburgh greats? Um, no. The only other Penguin I'd consider retiring the number of is Ron Francis. The guy was so great, every night and nobody noticed for 20 years. Carolina might do it, but the Pens should because his cups were here.
Jagr: yes, without question
Barasso: maybe

Do you forget what Jagr accomplished while in Pittsburgh? You know, the 4 Art Ross trophies?

And by your standards, his cups were here too.

Old
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Burgs

Jagr's number will likely be retired some years after he retires from hockey. By then the bad memories of his last year will have faded and people will more cherish what he did in all the years before.

I'm all for Francis but with the way he shuns the spotlight it might be impossible to get him to attend yet another retirement ceremony after the one he'll get Saturday in Raleigh. And Barrasso is a worthy candidate, too, from what he did on the ice. But then again, what if he refuses to acknowledge the media, gives the fans the finger and threatens Fleury not to take away his #1 goalie job?

Everyone else mentioned wasn't here long enough or had much of their success elsewhere.

Old
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
hrd2imagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheBox
Jagr: yes, without question
Barasso: maybe

Do you forget what Jagr accomplished while in Pittsburgh? You know, the 4 Art Ross trophies?

And by your standards, his cups were here too.

My point is that all the athletes that had their numbers retired in Pittsburgh are guys whose successes, best memories and hearts are here in Pittsburgh. The player has to love Pittsburgh as much as Pittsburgh loves that player for such an honor to be awarded.

Numbers shouldn't be retired just because of the stats a guy puts up, but for who the man was that actually wore the jersey and what that man meant to Pittsburgh.

Old
01-27-2006, 11:57 PM
AlanMSaunders

Send a message via AIM to AlanMSaunders
Quote:
Steelers:
12 - Terry Bradshaw
31 - Donnie Shell
32 - Franco Harris
47 - Mel Blount, see below
52 - Mike Webster
58 - Jack Lambert
59 - Jack Ham, see below
63 - Dermontti Dawson
75 - Joe Greene
Actually, the list above is completely incorrect. The Steelers only have on retired number. It is 70 for Ernie Stautner. While it's true that 75, 63, 58, 52, 12 and 32 have not been issued since the players that wore them retired, current Steeler Mike Logan wears 31, 47 has been issued 4 times since Mel Blount retired, and 59 has been issued once since Jack Ham retired. Franco Harris and Mike Webster did not finish their careers with the Steelers. Dermontti Dawson was released by the Steelers and only retired when he couldn't get signed anywhere else.

Old
01-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
My point is that all the athletes that had their numbers retired in Pittsburgh are guys whose successes, best memories and hearts are here in Pittsburgh. The player has to love Pittsburgh as much as Pittsburgh loves that player for such an honor to be awarded.

Numbers shouldn't be retired just because of the stats a guy puts up, but for who the man was that actually wore the jersey and what that man meant to Pittsburgh.

exactly

Old
01-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:

For years Bradshaw and the city of Pittsburgh were in a bitter cold war amongst themselves, and while his number isn't retired per se and it seems they have reconciled a bit in recent years, it can't mask the things he accomplished in Pittsburgh.

The SAME thing applies to Jagr, and I have a feeling that down the road, most fans will forgot all about the Jagr episode.

Old
01-28-2006, 02:57 AM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
I love the idea of retired numbers for teams. It adds depth and history, and adds a sense of awe for the young guys playing under those jerseys hanging high in the rafters.

Pittsburgh's had its fair share of legends come through here, or great players at least. Even some guys who may not have been the best skilled players, but they gave their heart to this city, and with a blue collar work ethic, they got the job done and gave their sweat and blood to get the banners we have up in the rafters where they are.

I still stand by Joe Mullen and Ron Francis firmly above the others. I see no reason why these guys shouldn't be honored in Pittsburgh. Ron Francis was one of the greatest silent leaders in the NHL, and one of the greatest scorers of all time (a Penguin with more points than Mario Lemieux..), not to mention that he had his best years here in Pittsburgh.

Tom Barrasso is a great nominee too. I see absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be in the rafters. The greatest Penguin goalie to date. I mean, really, does it take the magnitude of a Mario Lemieux calibre player to retire a jersey? As some of you stated before, rafter status goes so much more beyond points. There are many players in Penguin history that if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have two championships under our belt. These players deserve to be immortalized in the rafters.

Jaromir Jagr for sure, once he retires. There's no question that his best years will always be here in Pittsburgh, and he made sure the scoring titles stayed here when Mario wasn't well enough to play, so his spot is secure.

I'd even nominate Kevin Stevens, but I'm sure some would think I'm a little too generous.

Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Stevens, Mullen, Barrasso ... these guys are Pittsburgh champions.

Old
01-28-2006, 07:19 AM

Jagr and Barrasso without question IMO. If Francis doesn't get his # retired the Pens should at least give him a night of honor.

Just a note: Don't forget to watch the Carolina game tonight.

Old
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Burgs

After seeing parts of Ron Francis Night I could only think "Come on raise his jersey over here, too". If the Pens retire any number at all in the near future, it should be his. Here's to one of the classiest guys ever to lace up skates.

Btw, there's a great tribute video on the official Hurricanes site. Bob Seger's "Like a Rock" fits Ronnie's career like a glove.

Old
01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Votes to Joey Mullen and Ronnie Francis.

They helped to mold what the Pens are to Pittsburgh.

Closed Thread