HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Old
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Well can't blame Sather...he tried.

Unfortunately this team is going to get steamrolled in the playoffs when we face the Pens with Crosby back in the lineup.

Nash would have given us a real fighting chance to match their offense and we have them beat on the defensive side.

Lets hope next season Lundqvist stays healthy again and we can get Nash on Draft day.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

I'm fine with what went down. There wasn't much out there, and what was out there was had for a steep price. When the market for a bottom 6 forward is a 1st rounder, that's not really something the Rangers need to get involved in.

Zipay trolled me today for like a minute or two with his unconfirmed Brad Stuart rumor. He better check his sources, because it doesn't even sound like Stuart was available or close to being traded. Ericsson fractured his wrist a few days ago and some of the other defensemen are dinged up.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bubba5

We are good to go. Whether we got Nash or not, there are 8 to 10 teams that can win the cup this year, no way give up all those assets. See what happens in the spring and build more July 1st. Kreider may just show up in April and give us a little extra boost.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Well can't blame Sather...he tried.

Unfortunately this team is going to get steamrolled in the playoffs when we face the Pens with Crosby back in the lineup.

Nash would have given us a real fighting chance to match their offense and we have them beat on the defensive side.

Lets hope next season Lundqvist stays healthy again and we can get Nash on Draft day.
Are you a fortune teller?

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Vinny

a+ Overall.

No bs 7.8 miljon cap till 2018, now we can go for Parise or another stud.

No top Prospects lost like Erikson or Kreider.

Duby still with us and will show in 2013 how lucky we are he is still here.

Team stays together and we can keep building on experience, teamwork and all the goods we have seen this year.

Very happy with this day that nothing happened.

One minor, I would have loved to see a rental like Smyth or Selanne landing here.

Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Are you a fortune teller?
Nope, but i've been watching enough hockey in my 28 year old life to be able to see what is going to happen when you put two teams up in a 7 game series.

A healthy crosby with a Malkin on 'roids is going to kill any team they play.

I hate to root for injuries, but the only way we beat them is if one of them goes down.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Nope, but i've been watching enough hockey in my 28 year old life to be able to see what is going to happen when you put two teams up in a 7 game series.

A healthy crosby with a Malkin on 'roids is going to kill any team they play.
You must be loaded.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vbman09

vCash: 100
A For not giving up the farm for Nash

A for not giving up a 1st and a 4th for Gaustad

Maybe Kreider joins the club in March after the NCAA.

We have come this far with this group and we are still in 1st in the East, we Need a top 6 forward or a PP D man and I didn't see one we missed this week. (without giving up substantial prospects for them)

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Kel, just because you were right about a lot of things in the development of this team doesn't mean people aren't going to think you're a ********* when you shove it in their faces.

I was right about all that stuff too. But we're all Rangers fans. Whether or not I was right about it doesn't change the fact that we can all celebrate the season *so far* together.

And while I'm happy we're in first place, only a blind or obstinate man would turn away from the obvious deficiencies the team has, as you have. I don't think the time was right for us to throw the farm at a solution and I don't think anything was out there for us to make minor improvements. That doesn't mean that the flaws aren't there.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jim Morrison

We had our shot. Let's just hope this team can keep going. Who knows what'll happen in future seasons.

Hopefully you yay-sayers are right and every prospect we have will boom and our current players will be even better. Too me though, it's just naive. Plain dumb. Sorry, but that's me.

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Duby still with us and will show in 2013 how lucky we are he is still here.
Yeah, we're really lucky to have a mediocre 3rd liner who will never take that step forward on our team. So lucky.

Dubi better stop drinking and better start trying harder.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
You must be loaded.
Do you really think we have a good shot to beat a Pens team that is healthy? And the way Malkin has been playing for the past 2 months? Honesty..don't give me "well i believe in this team" cheerleader stuff. Just look facts in hand.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
We had our shot. Let's just hope this team can keep going. Who knows what'll happen in future seasons.

Hopefully you yay-sayers are right and every prospect we have will boom and our current players will be even better. Too me though, it's just naive. Plain dumb. Sorry, but that's me.
We have disagreed a lot, but I am 100% in your camp right now.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
vbman09

vCash: 100
According to Larry Brooks in the NY Post, the Rangers final offer for Rick Nash was Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, JT Miller, JT MIller and a first round pick.

Brooks writes that Columbus was after a package that included either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.

Howson was smoking crack thinking this!!! If this is true from Brooks.

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:

Well said Jim.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman09 View Post
According to Larry Brooks in the NY Post, the Rangers final offer for Rick Nash was Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, JT Miller, JT MIller and a first round pick.

Brooks writes that Columbus was after a package that included either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.

We cloned Miller!? Did you mean McIlrath?

Howson really is stupid for turning that down.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Howson can honestly go **** himself. He's a joke of a GM who runs a joke of a franchise. Pathetic excuse for a "hockey mind."

Old
02-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Howson can honestly go **** himself. He's a joke of a GM who runs a joke of a franchise. Pathetic excuse for a "hockey mind."
That idiot will be canned soon enough. He really does have NO CLUE.

Old
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:

Howson is a tool. Has any player traded in the last decade returned that kind of package?

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I think this trade deadline illustrates two things...

1. We have confidence in our organizational assets. If we lose a skilled defenseman, we can plug in Erixon. We have MZA up front and we could have Kreider available by the playoffs if absolutely necessary. Our depth guys are better than most of what is avaialable.

2. The window for the Rangers is just opening. This year is by most accounts, a year earlier than planned. I want to win now but I don't want to mortgage key pieces to rent players that are just passing through. Management seems to agree. I can't imagine anyone here wanting to trade a 1st for Gaustad. Not sure where Hodgson would fit on this team. The only deal I saw today that made sense at the price back was the Sami Pahlsson trade. We are not a team where the window may be closing (San Jose, Vancouver) or a team facing unusual circumstances Nashville/Suter)

I love the trade deadline but I'm content to let other teams have their fun today.

And the last time Sather made only a minor move at the trade deadline, we got John Mitchell. It took a while but that one seems to have worked out pretty well.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
At this point why not try Feds-Dubi-Prust, then wait for it.....Scott-Boyle-Rupp

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
The Lone Ranger

This trade deadline season, it was a case of too many buyers and not enough sellers, what with so many teams on-the-fence who still think they can make the playoffs. This situation drove up the asking price of the available players who were put up on the block. And Sather (bless his heart) didn't bite on any deal where he had to over-pay. Good for him.

The main thing is,..... Sather didn't pull any deals which would have cost us assets and jeopardized the team's long-term outlook. If we get ousted in the playoffs because of a ****** PP or a lack of scoring in general, then we can address that need after the season in the FA market, while keeping our corps of prospects intact.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

1. We have confidence in our organizational assets. If we lose a skilled defenseman, we can plug in Erixon. We have MZA up front and we could have Kreider available by the playoffs if absolutely necessary. Our depth guys are better than most of what is avaialable.

2. The window for the Rangers is just opening. This year is by most accounts, a year earlier than planned. I want to win now but I don't want to mortgage key pieces to rent players that are just passing through. Management seems to agree. I can't imagine anyone here wanting to trade a 1st for Gaustad. Not sure where Hodgson would fit on this team. The only deal I saw today that made sense at the price back was the Sami Pahlsson trade. We are not a team where the window may be closing (San Jose, Vancouver) or a team facing unusual circumstances Nashville/Suter)

I love the trade deadline but I'm content to let other teams have their fun today.

And the last time Sather made only a minor move at the trade deadline, we got John Mitchell. It took a while but that one seems to have worked out pretty well.
We're not debating if the window is just opening, though.

I said in the previous thread, we're contenders for as long as Hank can play at an elite level.

This deadline has split the board between those who think we need an upgrade (Dubi, X, 1st or whatever for Nash, Ryan, whoever) and those who don't.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

Yes the window might be just opening but who is to say all the pieces will come together again next season?

Will our stars stay healthy again? (Lundqvist, Gabby, Girardi, McD?)
Will players decline? (Gabby, Richards?)

Yes players will get better hopefully, but if Lundqvist tears in MCL, or Girardi breaks his leg, we could easily kiss another season goodbye.

This season has everything pretty much going for us. We really have to pray it does again next year.

Old
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

I disagree but respect the opinion. I just think there are better options and less to give up in the offseason. I wouldn't throw away prospects and key players in the line up just for a chance to win the cup this year

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote