HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stick length

Old
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
goleafsgo93

vCash: 500
Hockey stick length

hi guys,

most of my sticks have been from the ground up to my eyebrows or so. i always hear people saying that your hockey stick should be up to your mouth or nose.

ive never cut my sticks before but when i was using my friends stick a few days ago which is up to a little under my nose i noticed that i was getting off better slap shots which is one part of my game that is not up to par.

by cutting the end of my stick about an inch or two give me more velocity on my slap shot or is it the same deal?

goleafsgo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo93 View Post
hi guys,

most of my sticks have been from the ground up to my eyebrows or so. i always hear people saying that your hockey stick should be up to your mouth or nose.

ive never cut my sticks before but when i was using my friends stick a few days ago which is up to a little under my nose i noticed that i was getting off better slap shots which is one part of my game that is not up to par.

by cutting the end of my stick about an inch or two give me more velocity on my slap shot or is it the same deal?
Sounds like your sticks are way too long. In your shoes, a stick shouldn't come past the start of your nose, except in rare cases. A very long long stick can really hurt your puck handling and shot too.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
simmer2

Your stick when standing on the ground should be at your chin or just a bit higher. Anything above that and your puck-handling ability will go down quickly. Some d-men prefer a.slightly longer stick for poke checking and slap shot, but in general I would not go much higher than your chin.

Most kids play with too long a stick to begin with. They think having a longer stick will give them a bigger slapshot and while this is true, it is not the most important skill to have.

Anyways, hope that helps.

simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have a cheap backup stick or cheap wood stick, give it a shot.

At 5'8", I started out using sticks that were above my eyebrows in bare feet (about to my nose in skates), went down to my nose in bare feet (chin in skates), now down to my upper lip in bare feet (just below chin in skates), and am considering cutting down another 1/2" to 1" to get to just below my lower lip in bare feet (below my chin in skates).

Part of the reason I keep going shorter is that I have more control over the puck both in stickhandling and shooting. By keeping the puck closer to my body, it gets stripped off my stick less often, the stick is shorter so my movements are quicker, and it's closer to my body so I can get a quicker shot off with more accuracy.

Another thing that helps is working to keep my hands and stick out in front of me instead of tucked into my body. That makes the stick seem a couple inches longer than it is as well as helps receive passes and improves accuracy of shots and passes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
AIREAYE

I agree with everyone here, maybe you should have a chin length stick as your primary stick and maybe a longer one (nose length) when you are playing defensive or on a penalty kill

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Sounds like your stick is longer then you can handle well. And by most any measure, that's way too long. Cut it down to about that length, to your nose on skates is a long stick.

If you cut it down you'll be able to get your blade more square on the ice, and you'll see a better shot and much better stickhandling.

You absolutely need to cut that stick.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Keep in mind that the most important thing is what is comfortable for you. I am about 5'8" and use an uncut Mission. No problems stickhandling, shooting or playing D.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:49 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
It is all personal preference. I use a fairly long stick, but up to your eyebrows seams a little excessive. Mine is a little over my nose (about at the bridge) without skates. So right where my sweet, sweet moustache should be with skates on.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
goleafsgo93

thanks guys, i cut my stick up to a little under my nose, i was talking about ball hockey which i may have forgot to mention.

even so, i feel way more comfortable like this and i dont really need the longer stick as im a rw.

thanks again

goleafsgo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I was hoping someone would post the Pierre Maguire video.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I was hoping someone would post the Pierre Maguire video.
Are you referring to some variation of this?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Are you referring to some variation of this?

But no, this.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
But no, this.

Holy **** that's creepy. He even looks him in the eyes when he says that.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
It is all personal preference. I use a fairly long stick, but up to your eyebrows seams a little excessive. Mine is a little over my nose (about at the bridge) without skates. So right where my sweet, sweet moustache should be with skates on.
I almost spit out my coffee!

In that case, I just cut down my stick to where my wispy Fleury-esque soul patch is in bare feet.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:44 AM
nullterm

Wisdom from the 70's (and Howie Meeker).

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:18 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
I've had a small personal revelation recently: The proper length of the stick changes with the lie of that stick! A 4 lie vs 6 will have to be different lengths so that the blade is touching the entire surface of the ice while carrying the puck. So it depends on the player and the stick itself what is the correct length. It shouldn't be cut until you've skated around while adjusting the top hand to the proper length.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:08 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
I've had a small personal revelation recently: The proper length of the stick changes with the lie of that stick! A 4 lie vs 6 will have to be different lengths so that the blade is touching the entire surface of the ice while carrying the puck. So it depends on the player and the stick itself what is the correct length. It shouldn't be cut until you've skated around while adjusting the top hand to the proper length.

this is 100 percent true, when i moved to a PM9 curve from a P92, i had to keep an extra 1/4 inch on the pm9 for them to feel proper. the curve of the stick also changes the length two, especially when you switch from a round tow to a square toe. i have to add a bit of length to the square toed stick

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Droid6

I cut mine around collar bone height. I just found this site and it seems I'm not alone.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm a little longer than Meeker's recommendation but overall I really like his teachings. Have a vintage copy of his old hockey book and there's not one sentence in it about shooting the puck. It's all skating, puck control, and passing.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I cut mine around collar bone height. I just found this site and it seems I'm not alone.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
I find low kickpoint sticks to work just fine when cut that short (old tymer style which, which I like)

but anything mid-kickpoint ish I find is much harder to load

I definately prefer a shorter stick, and inbetween the colarbone and chin works for me (on skates)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
nullterm

First game after chopping off 3 inches so it now goes to my collarbone. Why did I not so this years ago? Feels so much better with the puck, so much easier to control the puck when it's in my feet. Now my other sticks at the old length feel too long.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
First game after chopping off 3 inches so it now goes to my collarbone. Why did I not so this years ago? Feels so much better with the puck, so much easier to control the puck when it's in my feet. Now my other sticks at the old length feel too long.
absolutely!

only 2 things suffer when you cut it really short...
#1 - slap/snap shots, and yes it is a significant difference, but can be mitigated by buying a lesser flex stick with a low kick point
#2 - If you are a d'man or a power forward... I think its important to be able to use your body to protect the puck... and with that, you may lose up to 6inches each way, so that "can" be significant when you're wheeling up a lane/wing

otherwise, the benefits are tremendous, especially when playing less skilled players

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
absolutely!

only 2 things suffer when you cut it really short...
#1 - slap/snap shots, and yes it is a significant difference, but can be mitigated by buying a lesser flex stick with a low kick point
#2 - If you are a d'man or a power forward... I think its important to be able to use your body to protect the puck... and with that, you may lose up to 6inches each way, so that "can" be significant when you're wheeling up a lane/wing

otherwise, the benefits are tremendous, especially when playing less skilled players
I tend to favour lower flex sticks anyways. Also noticed my wrist shot feels better.

This is what made me change it up, when that many hall of famers have theirs at their collarbone, makes you think: http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

Old
02-28-2012, 03:32 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Hmmm... I want to cut down my backup as an experiment now, but I don't have the tools...

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:34 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Hmmm... I want to cut down my backup as an experiment now, but I don't have the tools...
You really only need a hacksaw. If you want to get fancy you can use an electric saw. I use my dad's electric reciprocating saw, cuts through most sticks like butter.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote