HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Old
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The fact that so many teams felt that if they got in the playoffs they could do something through the asking prices out of whack. Gaustad for a 1st??!!
I agree. Although we will not know if Sather truly made a "massive offer" that was turned down. If Columbus turned down a Dubinsky/Erixon/Kreiger/Thomas & 1st, then shame on them. For me, it would be shame on Sather, but that is another story. Or if he gave in and included MDZ or MCD. Either way, I breath easier knowing that the trade was not made. Just for freeing up their cap room, Columbus should have sent a pick back.

I think that the best trade, in this case, was the one not made. Maybe this team does not win the Cup. Maybe, like the '94 Devils or young Islander/Edmonton teams, they need to loose first, before they can win. And please note, in no circumstance amd I comparing them to any of the latter two dynasties.

The team held on to all of their assets and can count on improving organically, when all of the young players take steps forward. I think that they are better served by keepign the core together.

Apparently, this was a great year to be a seller.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Black Tank

A++
Wolski was never going to play again and couldn't be trusted by Tortorella so even with injuries in the POs he wasn't going to be the guy. Getting a 3d is huge.

A+
Nothing but garbage was available. Boston actually got worse with **** like Rolston and Mottau. Nashville did too. Kostitsyn is awful, just awful and Gaustad for a 1st in a deep draft and no 2d in 2013 is classic mortgaging of the future. We are not Nashville and don't have to win it all this year because unlike Nashville, our two best players are not leaving after this year. This was the perfect season to sit out the trade deadline madness, especially with Parise potentially in play in the off season.

B or Incomplete
Scott for a 5th is fine. If he can spell Rupp and Prust from the meaningless fights that would be great. If he can goad Chara into dropping them it would be hilarious. Actually his highlight of this season is the vicious beatdown he put on Englland. The Penguins in their typical dirtbag fashion had Englland throw a flying elbow at one of the Blackhawks and Scott just absolutely beat Englland silly with the linesmen jumping in to save Englland. Watching a bloody and dazed Englland leave the ice sure took the gloss off his big hit.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
2. The window for the Rangers is just opening. This year is by most accounts, a year earlier than planned. I want to win now but I don't want to mortgage key pieces to rent players that are just passing through. Management seems to agree. I can't imagine anyone here wanting to trade a 1st for Gaustad. Not sure where Hodgson would fit on this team. The only deal I saw today that made sense at the price back was the Sami Pahlsson trade. We are not a team where the window may be closing (San Jose, Vancouver) or a team facing unusual circumstances Nashville/Suter)
You know nothing about a window. The management knows nothing about a window. What you (and they) are doing are HOPING there's a window opening. HOPING that we will keep having seasons like this one after another.

The truth is we have an open window NOW that we KNOW is open. We could have done everything in our power to win that cup now, but chose instead to have hope in something that could just as well shatter in disaster.

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Do you really think we have a good shot to beat a Pens team that is healthy? And the way Malkin has been playing for the past 2 months? Honesty..don't give me "well i believe in this team" cheerleader stuff. Just look facts in hand.
This is asinine. It's playoff hockey. The 8th seed Montreal Canadiens beat a healthy Penguins team in 2010 behind the goaltending of Jaroslav Halak. We have superb defense and goaltending. We're the number one seed in the conference by a healthy margin. So yes, I believe we have a good shot at taking down any team in the playoffs.

Greg02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We're not debating if the window is just opening, though.

I said in the previous thread, we're contenders for as long as Hank can play at an elite level.

This deadline has split the board between those who think we need an upgrade (Dubi, X, 1st or whatever for Nash, Ryan, whoever) and those who don't.
There are plenty of people that have alleged that this year is our only shot or our best shot at the winning the cup. In fact, there is someone in this thread right now claiming that the window has essentially closed even though the playoffs haven't even started, and some people are agreeing with him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
You know nothing about a window. The management knows nothing about a window. What you (and they) are doing are HOPING there's a window opening. HOPING that we will keep having seasons like this one after another.

The truth is we have an open window NOW that we KNOW is open. We could have done everything in our power to win that cup now, but chose instead to have hope in something that could just as well shatter in disaster.
Nobody may know about a window but thank ****ing christ almighty that Sather and company have finally figured out how to build a deep and competitive franchise so EVERY mother****ing year has a window. This is what fans like me have been waiting decades for and I don't want it thrown away for Mike Mottau and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Yes the window might be just opening but who is to say all the pieces will come together again next season?

Will our stars stay healthy again? (Lundqvist, Gabby, Girardi, McD?)
Will players decline? (Gabby, Richards?)

Yes players will get better hopefully, but if Lundqvist tears in MCL, or Girardi breaks his leg, we could easily kiss another season goodbye.

This season has everything pretty much going for us. We really have to pray it does again next year.
*sigh*

This kind of thinking is a remnant of a decade ago. This group is glued together pretty well. The wheels won't fall off the truck next season.

We're in first place in the conference. If we finish that way, great. However, I'd bet willing to be that next year's version of the Rangers as the 4th seed will be a stronger contender than this year's version as the 1st seed.

We're not done improving through natural means. Stepan, Hagelin and Anisimov still have more room to grow. So do McDonagh, Del Zotto and Staal.

And Lundqvist can tear his MCL or Girardi can break his leg in the next 5 weeks. In that case, if we had paid for Nash, we would've wasted those assets. You can't spend too much time thinking about those things when making decisions.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
We're not debating if the window is just opening, though.

I said in the previous thread, we're contenders for as long as Hank can play at an elite level.

This deadline has split the board between those who think we need an upgrade (Dubi, X, 1st or whatever for Nash, Ryan, whoever) and those who don't.
Well management seems to concur with those who do think we need an upgrade. They couldn't get it done on their terms so they were willing to pass because they take the long view and see the window just opening.

Quote:

I obviously know a lot more about windows than you do. For starters I've been in business for over 30 years and I understand balancing the short and long term view. I also spent several years in minor league hockey which is the ultimate every year is this year business. You expect this team to digress? What about the salary cap?

If the stars fall right this team can win everything this year. If they don't, management can look forward to several more years where they will likely contend very seriously. No matter what you do, you cannot guarantee you will win the Cup now.

And by the way, what would you have done? They obviously made a big push for Nash but that didn't work out. Would you have traded that first for Gaustad? I didn't see one player traded today with more than 33 points.

Last edited by bobbop: 02-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, we're really lucky to have a mediocre 3rd liner who will never take that step forward on our team. So lucky.
Dubinsky already took that step forward last season. Now he's having a down year. And even during this down year, he's still a more valuable player than Gaustad, or Rolston, or Kostitsyn, or Winnik, or Galiardi. He's better than someone like Boyes who didn't get moved. Roy didn't get moved, and if Buffalo needed a 1st rounder to move Gaustad, I don't even want to think about what it would've taken to pry him. Jones didn't get moved so clearly he was either off the table or cost prohibitive.

It's really easy to piss and moan and say we should've done something, but what was there to do?

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
**** happens. Progression isn't a linear path. There are bumps along the road. And Hank is a part of the team, his cap hit counts the same as anyone elses. I think people sometimes forget, having a good goalie is part of your team. It's not your team, and then a goalie. It's just the team. So the team is being bailed out by itself. Which is what a team does.
Which is what i've been saying. Except with the caveat that it's guys like Hank who are responsible for this teams success (which you go as far to admit yourself here) and some on the team haven't contributed nearly as much as others have, which you continue to gloss over.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Nobody may know about a window but thank ****ing christ almighty that Sather and company have finally figured out how to build a deep and competitive franchise so EVERY mother****ing year has a window. This is what fans like me have been waiting decades for and I don't want it thrown away for Mike Mottau and Andrei Kostitsyn.
As I said, let's hope you're right. But I bet Oiler and Cane fans didn't expect what came to them.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Well management seems to concur with those who do think we need an upgrade. They couldn't get it done on their terms so they were willing to pass because they take the long view and see the window just opening.
I'm fine with that. But what i've been arguing for the past week is that if Dubinsky is a casualty of getting somebody who can help the team overcome it's inconsistencies, then so be it. Except that somehow comes across as me trying to gut the team and get rid of any chemistry whatsoever.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Honestly there was nothing exciting out there. No one made any huge moves. The rest of our competition didn't significantly improve. There just weren't many sellers out there.

I'm content.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
mullichicken25

i hate that all these debbie downers and negative nancies get to enjoy this teams success everybit as much as i do when all is said and done

they get to piss and moan all they want and if the rangers win they can just go, "oh well, i was wrong, we won!" and then smile and be happy like the rest of us...high-fiving themselves for being rangers fans without any acknowledgement of the pessimistic, overreacting, whiny little c-words they are

im happy this team didnt cave to outragious offers that may have set the franchise back a number of years.

Hopefully we see Richards and Dubinsky turn it on in the latter portion of the season here and carry it over into the playoffs

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Which is what i've been saying. Except with the caveat that it's guys like Hank who are responsible for this teams success (which you go as far to admit yourself here) and some on the team haven't contributed nearly as much as others have, which you continue to gloss over.
Your caveat is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we're in first in the east. And this rough patch is being made into something that it's not. It's not like we just dropped seven games in a row or something. Lost 6 out of 8.

What is this rough patch? 2-2-1 the past five? What a travesty!

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
We weren't going to get Weber, Suter and Doughty. Who exactly did you want Sather to get to boost the D? If the D suck and we get bounced so be it - the team wasn't good enough and we move on to next year. There was no quality available so Sather had to go with what's been built to date. That's life.
Except that's not what this debate is. We're talking about getting upgrades somewhere and shedding assets to do so if necessary, which some people vehemently disagree with because we're the most chemistry-fueled team this side of chemistry, apparently.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i hate that all these debbie downers and negative nancies get to enjoy this teams success everybit as much as i do when all is said and done

they get to piss and moan all they want and if the rangers win they can just go, "oh well, i was wrong, we won!" and then smile and be happy like the rest of us...high-fiving themselves for being rangers fans without any acknowledgement of the pessimistic, overreacting, whiny little c-words they are

im happy this team didnt cave to outragious offers that may have set the franchise back a number of years.

Hopefully we see Richards and Dubinsky turn it on in the latter portion of the season here and carry it over into the playoffs
exactly how I feel.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Your caveat is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we're in first in the east. And this rough patch is being made into something that it's not. It's not like we just dropped seven games in a row or something. Lost 6 out of 8.

What is this rough patch? 2-2-1 the past five? What a travesty!
Against the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Sabres and Hawks.

It's not what the record is, which I can't figure out why it's so hard to understand, it's how we've PLAYED. The defense has been declining and the offense has been inconsistent all year.

Old
Black Tank

Quote:
As I said, let's hope you're right. But I bet Oiler and Cane fans didn't expect what came to them.
Yeah, but I don't want to be like the Oilers or Canes franchises. I want to be the Detroit of the East, good year after year after year. Kind of like NJ used to be - oh how that must sting Devils fans. I think we'll be a more dangerous team next year when these guys all have a (hopefully) deep PO run under their belts.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'm quite content. We have everyone I wanted to keep, and we ditched Wolski.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

Because being objective about the weaknesses of the team and discussing it is being a debbie downer.

Sorry buddy, but I'm just as big a fan as you are. I don't care if that makes your blood boil but it's true. I'm just discussing how to make our team better while you guys plug your ears and cover your eyes and pretend Dubinsky's 6 goals is okay.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Except that's not what this debate is. We're talking about getting upgrades somewhere and shedding assets to do so if necessary, which some people vehemently disagree with because we're the most chemistry-fueled team this side of chemistry, apparently.
Actually, I think Kel is the only person I've seen not acknowledging the need for an upgrade.

Personally, I didn't see the need for a top-6 upgrade, mostly because I thought it would cost too much. I wanted to see an offensive upgrade to our third line, but it turns out that none of those players were even available today.

Lundqvist is an important reason for this team's success, but chemistry is the biggest reason for the team being *as successful* as it's been this season. Without it, the team is not greater than the sum of it's parts and sits somewhere between 4 and 6, more likely at the 6. You should stop downplaying it.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't want to be like the Oilers or Canes franchises. I want to be the Detroit of the East, good year after year after year. Kind of like NJ used to be - oh how that must sting Devils fans. I think we'll be a more dangerous team next year when these guys all have a (hopefully) deep PO run under their belts.
Yeah, we just need a Nicklas Lidstrom, top 3 d-man of all time, to make us like that. Of course that's what every team wants, but the fact that only Detroit and in some sense New Jersey have been that makes this a moot point. It's luck, more than anything.

You never know what future seasons will be like, but again, let's hope you're right and everything will be better next year. Just like how Gabby was supposed to score 50 after his 09/10 season.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
PMantis24
LGR!

Sather was scheduled to speak with the media at 4:45, pushed back to 5:30.

Quote:
Minor delay: Rangers GM Glen Sather now scheduled to chat with media at 5:30.
https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...51045575327745

PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
ocarina

I'd give this year's trade deadline a B.

Getting a third rounder for Wolski was great, and it was also nice to get Vernace to help Hartford out.

While I don't mean to make a big fuss about it, I still don't get the point of adding John Scott. I don't see how he gets into the line-up regularly, and he doesn't add anything to the team other then fighting, which is a useless factor come playoff time. I'd honestly rather have the 5th rounder, but whatever.

I was most worried about Sather mortgaging the farm on Nash, but thankfully, that didn't happen, though Sather apparently came in with a "monster" offer. Unless we hear what it actually was though, can't make a judgement on it.

While it would of been nice to of added a more significant piece, the fact was, it was a terrible market for buyers. I mean, Paul Gaustad, a player similar to Brian Boyle, fetched a first rounder! I said it in the other thread, this team is just starting to scratch it's potential, just play it out this year, see how it goes, and make that big move next offseason/trade deadline.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote