HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Old
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
One of the prominent issues I've noticed as of late is that the Rangers are making some bad mental mistakes that they weren't making earlier in the year. Some of the defensemen look tired, which is unsurprising considering how many minutes Girardi and McDonagh have logged in Staal's absence early in the year. A defenseman with substantial playoff experience to help take the pressure of them would be nice but that wasn't really an option.

So far as the teamwide mistakes and careless play lately, that's a problem that the team needs to address within themselves and I'm not sure if a deadline acquisition would have helped. Hopefully now that the deadline is over, the team can take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
What are you talking about?

Everyone here realizes this team needs scoring, but there was no one on the market besides overpaying for Nash. There was no Parise or Ryan available. If the offense falters in the playoffs, I'm all for exploring a trade for a guy like Ryan.
This is blatantly not true, since i've argued with two people in this thread alone who don't think it is.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leetch66

It's been a long stressful week...I think Sather has it under control . A .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Kostistyn for one, i'd do. I'd also probably do the proposed Nash deal, but Howson didn't bite so c'est la vie.

But i'm saying in the long run, if you have to move pieces for Parise or Ryan, or even Weber, i'd do it. Some people wouldn't. That's what the debate has been, other than the fact that i'm a debbie downer for seeing the flaws the team has.

If you haven't seen people arguing for the status quo, you haven't looked hard enough.
Kostitsyn hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year. 25 whopping points. I wouldn't have kvetched about adding him for a 2nd and a 5th, but it probably would have cost us even more than that because of our current draft position and because Gauthier was doing AK a solid by sending him to play with his brother.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
Kostitsyn hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year. 25 whopping points. I wouldn't have kvetched about adding him for a 2nd and a 5th, but it probably would have cost us even more than that because of our current draft position and because Gauthier was doing AK a solid by sending him to play with his brother.
He doesn't need to set the world on fire though. He's a good upgrade over some of the guys we have in our bottom 6.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman09 View Post
According to Larry Brooks in the NY Post, the Rangers final offer for Rick Nash was Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, JT Miller, JT MIller and a first round pick.

Brooks writes that Columbus was after a package that included either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.

Howson was smoking crack thinking this!!! If this is true from Brooks.
im glad howson said no. what a moron. I woulda been pissed off

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Because being objective about the weaknesses of the team and discussing it is being a debbie downer.

Sorry buddy, but I'm just as big a fan as you are. I don't care if that makes your blood boil but it's true. I'm just discussing how to make our team better while you guys plug your ears and cover your eyes and pretend Dubinsky's 6 goals is okay.

This post reeks of self-righteousness. How obnoxious.
i missed the part where i quoted you?

and in all honesty i wasn't really refering to you...i think you're being a little over the top at the momment but by and large you havent come across as a ridiculous poster (at least that I've noticed)

rahter, i was refering to the overall hysteria thats thrown around these parts likes its nothing, especially today/this week. Generally speaking, I'd prefer people do a little more thinking and a little less reactionary bs slinging

i'll forgive your reaction though because it appears you feel like your under attack here

nonetheless...to the topic at hand.

I didnt see any other option (other than Nash, whomb i didnt want for various reasons) worth trading for that was going to effetively solve any issues this team has. I agree the teams not perfect, however i do not agree that they can't be successful as curently assembled

I felt that the best plan going forward was to leave the team intact and hope that players like Dubinsky and Richards would get their game going down the stretch. I'm not particularly worried about Richie, as he seems like someone who thrives when the heat is on. However, Dubi on the other hand, doesn't envoke quite the same confidence form me, but im not convinced there was a player available (again, other than nash) that was going to step in and bring more to the team as a whole.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
You know nothing about a window. The management knows nothing about a window. What you (and they) are doing are HOPING there's a window opening. HOPING that we will keep having seasons like this one after another.

The truth is we have an open window NOW that we KNOW is open. We could have done everything in our power to win that cup now, but chose instead to have hope in something that could just as well shatter in disaster.
USing logic and inference it seems painfully obvious that there is a window

Old
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman09 View Post
According to Larry Brooks in the NY Post, the Rangers final offer for Rick Nash was Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, JT Miller, JT MIller and a first round pick.

Brooks writes that Columbus was after a package that included either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider and Brandon Dubinsky.

Howson was smoking crack thinking this!!! If this is true from Brooks.
Thanks for the follow up.

Assuming this is true, and the duplicate Miller was McIlrath, that's way too much for Nash and his huge contract. No thanks.
the Rangers final offer for Rick Nash should have been no more than Brandon Dubinsky, Christian Thomas and MAYBE a first round pick.

As to Howson, my message to you is:
I laugh in your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even the Stars holding on to Richards was not as bad as this, at least they thought they were going to submit a competitive bid.

Howson's package is too much for MALKIN or STAMKOS, almost too much for MALKIN and STAMKOS.

If and when you come down to earth, and decide to capitulate, we'll let you know about taking Nash off your hands.
In the mean time, choke on his salary and being an unhappy player.

I'd rather put that kind of $$$ into Suter...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i hate that all these debbie downers and negative nancies get to enjoy this teams success everybit as much as i do when all is said and done

they get to piss and moan all they want and if the rangers win they can just go, "oh well, i was wrong, we won!" and then smile and be happy like the rest of us...high-fiving themselves for being rangers fans without any acknowledgement of the pessimistic, overreacting, whiny little c-words they are

im happy this team didnt cave to outragious offers that may have set the franchise back a number of years.

Hopefully we see Richards and Dubinsky turn it on in the latter portion of the season here and carry it over into the playoffs
Yea but we get to enjoy the whole season, every game they get to piss and moan and be miserable haha

Old
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't like anything moved today for our immediate needs. We didn't miss any good moves. We don't want to bribe a team for a guy. Erixon and mza are the depth guys, better than a 1st for gaustad

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
USing logic and inference it seems painfully obvious that there is a window
Hopefully.

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
C. Great return for Wolski who had no value. Scott is alright I guess. It's also good that we didn't trade any big assets (despite reports that Slats was willing to for Nash). Big loss for not trading for any offensive talent though. I feel Kostitsyn would have been a good player for us.
unfortunately the rangers made wolski worthless... i would have liked to see wolski get a legit shot. anyhow, it's nice florida felt he has some value. so it's a wash.

other than that, i'm cool with no deals. would have liked to see a cheap rental forward who can score. but i guess that player wasn't on offer. i'd hate to think the columbus sideshow distracted sather from making some improvement to the team.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Hopefully.
Thankfully it's obviously and not hopefully.

I'd gladly bank on Hank continuing to be Hank as he's been without fail every season. I'd def bank on seeing what i've seen for 6+ years running. I'd gladly bank on seeing the guys who have been steadily improving under this regime continue to improve. (Stepan, I'd bet Hagelin continues to improve, the whole D, Dubs almost HAS to be better, Artie.) I'd gladly bank on seeing the franchise which promotes seemingly one great rookie per year promote another one or two next year in the form of Kreider and/or Erixon.
Then the year after that we still keep everyone and I feel they will all continue to improve. I am freakin stoked. Soooooo set up for enormous dissappointment lol

Old
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
sounds like you're implying that the entire 60 game schedule needs to be represented only by the recent 5 games because they support your opinion?
Nope. I'm saying the minutes that were forced upon Girardi and McDonagh are coming back to bite us in the ass.

The entire 60 game stretch does support my opinion regarding the offense, though.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Thankfully it's obviously and not hopefully.

I'd gladly bank on Hank continuing to be Hank as he's been without fail every season. I'd def bank on seeing what i've seen for 6+ years running. I'd gladly bank on seeing the guys who have been steadily improving under this regime continue to improve. (Stepan, I'd bet Hagelin continues to improve, the whole D, Dubs almost HAS to be better, Artie.) I'd gladly bank on seeing the franchise which promotes seemingly one great rookie per year promote another one or two next year in the form of Kreider and/or Erixon.
Then the year after that we still keep everyone and I feel they will all continue to improve. I am freakin stoked. Soooooo set up for enormous dissappointment lol
Okay, I'll hold you to it.

But it's hopefully, not obviously.

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Tumsh

Just took a look at capgeek.
Seems the only significant raise for next season will be Del Zotto.

I think the fact that the Rangers did not give up anything from their core is a great thing. Nash wouldn't have been worth it. They might have given themselves a better chance of winning this year, but I think at a disproportional cost of chance of winning the next year. They can address some of their issues in the summer.

Most of the Rangers core haven't been part of a deep playoff run. I think that they will have at least 3 years with a very good chance of making it deep, no need to jeopardise that this year, which may actually be the lease likely year for them to win it all (experience).

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
NikC

coming soon ranger fans....

one injury to either Gaborik, Callahan, or Richards and you
can say goodbye to offense!

cap gun secondary scoring and a bottom six of bowling ball hand grinders...

no poweplay...

good, young, tired, semi green defense...

one goal games with Hank standing on his head...

again!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I was against Nash from the start, his contract to me is a joke! If the reported offer is true, Sather did his best to gut us for Nash. That package is ridiculous and should get nearly anyone in the league not named Malkin or Stamkos. Thank god Howson is a complete idiot!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

For a team without any secondary scoring and an awful powerplay, they are still a respectable 12th in the NHL in goals per game.

Howson wanted one of MDZ/McD, one of Step/Hags, IN ADDITION TO Kreider and Dubinsky??? Holy **** I'm so glad Sather didn't budge. Keeping this defensive core intact will allow the Rangers to be competitive for a long time. Secondary scoring will be a simple thing to address in the off season.

Besides Nash, there was absolutely nobody else available that I would have taken. Kostitsyn? Really?

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Stop the petty pissing matches right ****ing now. Seriously guys, act like adults. If you keep heading down this path it will be met with infractions, forced ignores and thread bans. I wanted to shoot myself reading through the crap I just deleted.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
This is blatantly not true, since i've argued with two people in this thread alone who don't think it is.
It is absolutely true and Slats knows it. Please get off the boards and tune into an actual Ranger game.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

New York Rangers ‏ @thenyrangers Reply Retweet Favorite Open
#NYR Pres/GM Glen Sather: "We talked to a lot of people today...the prices seemed very high"

New York Rangers ‏ @thenyrangers Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Sather: "We like our team, we like where we are, we like the youth we have, and we have a program in place..you have to be careful"

Hard to argue with that. Again, the only deal I wish we could've done was the Kostitsyn one.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I love the fans that are no where to be found when the Rangers are on a long winning streak, but show up immediately after a few losses or when they don't make a trade on deadline day.

Sometimes I wonder if they are closet Islanders fans.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I'm fine with that. But what i've been arguing for the past week is that if Dubinsky is a casualty of getting somebody who can help the team overcome it's inconsistencies, then so be it. Except that somehow comes across as me trying to gut the team and get rid of any chemistry whatsoever.
No, I'm with you on that. Balancing chemistry and talent is tough work. I do think that making a trade of this magnitude is more likely to happen in June though when chemistry is much less of an issue. And that also give management a lot of high intensity games to evaluate their team.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote