HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How worried should we be at Gauthier handling the contracts of our cornerstone RFA's?

Old
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Looking at the Gorges deal, we're looking at long term and very pricey.
So Gorges at 3.9m is too pricey and for 6 years is too long?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Oh no not a 3rd line ufa! How will we ever replace him? I am sure you are just chomping at the bit to see the habs lose again so you can claim "OMG StauBItZ not score goals!!!111"

You are adorable and Gauthier doesn't give a **** about your tears.
How sweet of you.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
CrazyShea

PG has been good at resigning players. He just fails at trading

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How sweet of you.
Get a room you two.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Crosby at league minimum for 20 years would be too much if PG did it.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
it's not pricey but a little too long but that's the price you pay. You always wonder how long guys who block shots and play like that can last. Luckily, the deal doesn't go into the final stages of his career. At Gorges size, I would doubt he'd be as effective 6 years from now. Still, I have no issue with the deal, you gotta pay for that heart and committment.

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Looking at the Boychuk deal, it's either too much money considering the term, or too much term considering the money. It's not a really good deal.

Look at Zanon. Similar type of player, got HALF of the cap hit on the FA market.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Get a room you two.
He wasn't talking to me, I was just commenting on how he's giving out compliments.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Failing Hands

Gomez will likely be gone, which is good. But, we're freeing up all this cap space that we're likely not even going to use effectively? I mean who wants to play in a city that has language issues, is pressure-filled, high taxes, cold winters and a team coming off their worst season in God knows how long?

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by xduckiex View Post
The signings Gauthier has made have been good (Pleks comes to mind) so if it is him making the decisions, we need not worry.
No one cares about Brad Staubitz. What people care about is this team's direction. While you may be happy and satisfied with just them getting taller, it doesn't mean the team is improving. Also you mentioned fighting? Is that some kind of joke? Guess what, the team actually fights less under Gauthier than it did when Gainey was GM. The only players Gauthier has acquired with any remote fighting ability is Straubitz and Schultz. Don't worry, I'm not expecting a constructive counter argument on how Gauthier has improved this team in his tenure because I don't think there's one. Gauthier and Gainey have been running things for almost 10 years now and it's about time for a change.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Looking at the Boychuk deal, it's either too much money considering the term, or too much term considering the money. It's not a really good deal.

Look at Zanon. Similar type of player, got HALF of the cap hit on the FA market.
The Gorges deal is NOT a good one and I got destroyed when I said it. However, you kinda had to sign him. Seeing the value of dmen this year, We could have probably gotten a 1st and a good prospect for Gorges.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Crosby at league minimum for 20 years would be too much if PG did it.
Too much term, leaves us handcuffed and he'd probably be a lockerroom distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
it's not pricey but a little too long but that's the price you pay. You always wonder how long guys who block shots and play like that can last. Luckily, the deal doesn't go into the final stages of his career. At Gorges size, I would doubt he'd be as effective 6 years from now. Still, I have no issue with the deal, you gotta pay for that heart and committment.
Volchenkov got more. Paul Martin got more. You gotta pay to get good d-men, and if Spacek can get 3.8m, I can't see why Gorges who has only gotten better each year can't get 3.9m.

Quote:

Gorges is better than Boychuk and Zanon, come on now. D-men don't get less money in later contracts because defense is a maturity thing, it's not like you HAVE to have crazy wheels and a wicked wrister to be a d-man. Gorges signed a great deal if you ask anyone. A steady, consistent presence at 3.9 for his best years? Sign me up. And it'll shut Subban up if he asks for a stupid contract because Gorges' deal isn't unreasonable.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
The Gorges deal is NOT a good one and I got destroyed when I said it. However, you kinda had to sign him. Seeing the value of dmen this year, We could have probably gotten a 1st and a good prospect for Gorges.
We need gorges, hell, we need two gorges.

Old
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
he is the one who choose to give JG a ONE YEAR, deal...

then had to OVER PAY HIM NEXT YR for 6 years...

The one where JG agent said he would have signed for much less the year before...

but hey what is 7 million anyway...

Not worried?

No...this is the same guy who pays a back up 1.26 million to play 12 games a yr....When Sanford would have done fine.

7/8 d man near 2 million to sit in press box.

trades for a 4.25 mill pp qb who has little impact..
Better than Gainey's no contract negotiation during the season policy. He would have made Gorges UFA!

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Volchenkov got more. Paul Martin got more. You gotta pay to get good d-men, and if Spacek can get 3.8m, I can't see why Gorges who has only gotten better each year can't get 3.9m.
Please don't compare Volchenkov when he was UFA to Gorges this year. I choose Volchenkov most of the time. I'd actually LOVE to have both.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
No one cares about Brad Staubitz. What people care about is this team's direction. While you may be happy and satisfied with just them getting taller, it doesn't mean the team is improving. Also you mentioned fighting? Is that some kind of joke? Guess what, the team actually fights less under Gauthier than it did when Gainey was GM. The only players Gauthier has acquired with any remote fighting ability is Straubitz and Schultz. Don't worry, I'm not expecting a constructive counter argument on how Gauthier has improved this team in his tenure because I don't think there's one. Gauthier and Gainey have been running things for almost 10 years now and it's about time for a change.
To be honest, I'm sick of this line of reasoning.

Up until recently we had a super-veteran coach who got what he asked for. This team was built in Martin's image. The players they shipped off, the players they signed almost everyone was meant to fit into Martin's system (or get kicked out of it).

The plan failed, and failed so spectacularly that we're getting a top3 pick with it. I don't think it falls on Gauthier as much as all of you are saying, he gave Martin the team he wanted and it didn't work so they're re-tooling and I betcha that Subban, Eller, Bourque and Pleks are gonna look rather good next year with a fresh start and a new coach.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
To be honest, I'm sick of this line of reasoning.

Up until recently we had a super-veteran coach who got what he asked for. This team was built in Martin's image. The players they shipped off, the players they signed almost everyone was meant to fit into Martin's system (or get kicked out of it).

The plan failed, and failed so spectacularly that we're getting a top3 pick with it. I don't think it falls on Gauthier as much as all of you are saying, he gave Martin the team he wanted and it didn't work so they're re-tooling and I betcha that Subban, Eller, Bourque and Pleks are gonna look rather good next year with a fresh start and a new coach.
You're blaming JM for Gauthier's moves?

Old
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
"WAAAAAAHHH our team is midgets and wimps!"
*Gauthier gets big strong players who can fight for themselves
"WAAAAAHHHHH our team makes me feel short and inadequate!"

After today, all you are left with is hyperbole. Why?

You should be ecstatic by the moves Gotye made today. Yet you mock and resort to over the top posts. Alls not well in Gotye land?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

To answer OP, not concerned. I don't like Gauthier, but he can handle contracts for our young players and I won't be concerned.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Done an excellent job so far but don't let that stop you from going full chicken little.
I laughed. Couldn't have said it better. Some people are too melodramatic about it.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failing Hands View Post
Gomez will likely be gone, which is good. But, we're freeing up all this cap space that we're likely not even going to use effectively? I mean who wants to play in a city that has language issues, is pressure-filled, high taxes, cold winters and a team coming off their worst season in God knows how long?
Taxes are similar in that bracket, it's only pressure filled if you play like a loser, cold winters? - are they out tobogganing or something?, language issues? - who cares?

All that matters is win.

We got tougher and freed up important cap space to bring in some real hockey players.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Taxes are similar in that bracket, it's only pressure filled if you play like a loser, cold winters? - are they out tobogganing or something?, language issues? - who cares?

All that matters is win.

We got tougher and freed up important cap space to bring in some real hockey players.
Players have lives believe it or not. You ask majority of players and they're more than likely going to say that they'd rather raise their children in an environment that doesn't impose language. You say who cares, but a lot of people who love the province have moved out because of the political language issues we have here.

Winters and the snow are a pain in the ass to many. The lack of privacy players get in Montreal is unappealing to most as well. I mean players in places like San Jose, LA, Florida can go wherever they want without being recognized. Not the case in MTL.

Income taxes the highest in North America as well...

So yeah, I'm pretty sure to a lot of players winning isn't the end all be all. Their family and quality of life is also important when making that decision to sign somewhere.

If you're going to talk about winning being the most important, you're not really helping your case. If you want to win, Habs are not that team right now.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Gorges is better than Boychuk and Zanon, come on now. D-men don't get less money in later contracts because defense is a maturity thing, it's not like you HAVE to have crazy wheels and a wicked wrister to be a d-man. Gorges signed a great deal if you ask anyone. A steady, consistent presence at 3.9 for his best years? Sign me up. And it'll shut Subban up if he asks for a stupid contract because Gorges' deal isn't unreasonable.
Gorges is marginally better than the guys I mentionned.

He's a great intangibles guy, but if people think he's miles ahead of Boychuk and Zanon, boy, has he become the most overrated Hab.

His contract is ok for the first 3 years, after that, it's just too far ahead to really say if it's going to be worth it. He might start breaking down at that point, or he might still be a consistent performer till the end of the contract. The cap hit isn't exactly humongous, but it's not a 'good' contract. We don't save money on the cap hit and the term is very long.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

That said, if we can project Gorges to be a good d-man for the next 2/3 years that's all that really matters. The cap wont be going down, it's not designed to, so at this ceiling Gorges is worth 3.9m (also take into account his leadership, consistency, injury-history). That's really all that matters.

The rest, like saying that we could've had him for cheaper, is just speculation and false. His knee was busted, we did the right move. What if he turned out like Markov and we signed him for long term? That would be a doubly stupid move, no?

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-27-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: OT
Old
02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Done an excellent job so far but don't let that stop you from going full chicken little.
Quote:
Has he been unreasonable with ANY contract so far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xduckiex View Post
The signings Gauthier has made have been good (Pleks comes to mind) so if it is him making the decisions, we need not worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Isn't Gauthier the one who signed both Plekanec and Gorges to long contracts? Not worried.
In terms of contract negotiation, I like what he did with Gorges, Emelin, Cole, Darche, White, Pacioretty, Plekanec...

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote