HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade Deadline Dud

Old
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
FisherKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Should've called in Serge Savard to clean this mess up a few weeks ago and close out the season.
Yup, if you want to lose prospect depth and a bucket load of draft pics, Serge Savard is the guy you want.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Yup, if you want to lose prospect depth and a bucket load of draft pics, Serge Savard is the guy you want.
Why would he trade prospects and picks if the ship is going down?

Why would he be a moron?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Why would he trade prospects and picks if the ship is going down?

Why would he be a moron?
Well, just extrapolating from past experience. When Savard took over the Habs the propect pool was full and there were extra draft picks coming out the wazoo for the Habs for the next decade. When he left, the prospect pool was drained, and the picks he hadn't traded were utilized, well, take a look at his draft record and you'll see what I mean. The man was and apparently still is the most over-rated GM ever to be involved in the game imho.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
sheed36

Here it is Feb 27 and the Habs are out of the playoff's.. The trade deadline is over.. The only thing left to look forward to is the draft.. Gonna be a very long wait until October..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
capebretoncanadien

Well thank Jesus that Campoli and Gomez are still here that's all I have to say. PHEW dodged a bullet there.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
LastRide

I wait a couple months for the trade deadline only to have disappointment set in once again. I'll know better from now on not to bother with the trade deadline.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Well, just extrapolating from past experience. When Savard took over the Habs the propect pool was full and there were extra draft picks coming out the wazoo for the Habs for the next decade. When he left, the prospect pool was drained, and the picks he hadn't traded were utilized, well, take a look at his draft record and you'll see what I mean. The man was and apparently still is the most over-rated GM ever to be involved in the game imho.
The team was also a good squad and looking to win championships.

If the team is going to the bottom of the conference, why would a GM look to trade futures to do absolutely nothing?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Gaustad going for a 1st and we dealt AK for a 2nd+5th
Geoff...

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
The team was also a good squad and looking to win championships.

If the team is going to the bottom of the conference, why would a GM look to trade futures to do absolutely nothing?
My point was that I have no more faith in Serge Savard than a mulitude of posters here have in Gauthier and Gainey.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
My point was that I have no more faith in Serge Savard than a mulitude of posters here have in Gauthier and Gainey.
The guy would only be brought in to finish the season and not let the ones that created the situation put the Habs in any worse position.

Look, we're 15th in the East, and our only move is to change a guy who was hitting 20 goals pretty much like clockwork for a 2013 2nd rounder and our 2013 5th rounder.

That's the big change the brass thought was needed. Big change.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Stupid trade for vancouver. If they wanted grit for the playoffs, they could have had gaustad for a first. He would have given a lot more than a young kassian.
I agree. It's one thing to deal for Kassian but why do this before the summer? I hope it works out for them but this move doesn't look good right now in my opinion.

It seems like a reaction to be ready against the Bruins but the B's may not even be there in the finals... Why make this trade now? Hogson was producing and the team was hot. I wouldn't have messed with this. Hopefully it works out.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Ok, for the last time, they didn't just get RID of a 20g scorer. They traded a RENTAL PLAYER. He's UFA at years end, was looking at probably 4m+ and that's just way too much for 20goals/100hits and nothing else. He's not even on pace for 20g this year.

If he woulda scored a bit more over the past couple of weeks maybe we could've gotten a 1st round pick but oh well, he's gone. He's a UFA, it's not like we dumped Gionta for a second round pick. (although....)

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not now. I'm extremely interested in the great press conference we will hear....and the one after season's end. So DON'T FIRE HIM YET.
yes maybe we should do a thread before the season's end presser and get some predictions on how many times he says MISTER hahaha Mr Molson.

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree. It's one thing to deal for Kassian but why do this before the summer? I hope it works out for them but this move doesn't look good right now in my opinion.

It seems like a reaction to be ready against the Bruins but the B's may not even be there in the finals... Why make this trade now? Hogson was producing and the team was hot. I wouldn't have messed with this. Hopefully it works out.
On the Vancouver board we've already blow by like thirty pages of us crying over this. What I find most baffling is the timing. Kassian is not ready to compete at the NHL level. Sure, he has other intangibles but this was an off season move if it had to be made. We now have to hope this is indeed, a Lucic in the making. Suppose it worked for Boston but I'm wary of this.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

What bothers me is I think if we held onto Cammy, we would have gotten more for him.

If you're a seller, wait till the deadline to sell. If you're a buyer...do not wait till the deadline.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Stupid trade for vancouver. If they wanted grit for the playoffs, they could have had gaustad for a first. He would have given a lot more than a young kassian.
Wow, I'm shocked you feel this way. Kassian has incredible upside and will be a franchise player, tough as nails.. exactly what they needed.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Wow, I'm shocked you feel this way. Kassian has incredible upside and will be a franchise player, tough as nails.. exactly what they needed.
Hodgson is the better player. I think Gillis will regret this. Kassian has attitude issues. If we got Holland and he did this, I'd still be in shock.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

cant even sell properly this managment is just awful if no one is willing to offer anything for campoli and darche WAIVE them and give their spots to kids to show what they can do...
gaustad got a 1st round pick that means we could have got that for Moen whos replaceable and you can still get back in the summer if he really likes the city..

gauthier should been fired at 3:01 pm today

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
obcd1

Some people here don't understand some little thing

Gaustad got a first because teams wanted regular defensive players
AK got a 2nd because he's an irregular offensive player

Moen wasn't traded because he's injured

Campoli.. well I don't know but my guess is nobody wanted him

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Well thank Jesus that Campoli and Gomez are still here that's all I have to say. PHEW dodged a bullet there.
Tanks don't drive themselves...

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hodgson is the better player. I think Gillis will regret this. Kassian has attitude issues. If we got Holland and he did this, I'd still be in shock.
I agree

Hoddgson is a rookie C with 36 pts so far

WTF Vancouver

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote