HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Grading Rangers "Trade Deadline" Moves (or lack there of)

Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Sky Valley

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He doesn't need to set the world on fire though. He's a good upgrade over some of the guys we have in our bottom 6.
He's a guy with a lot of offensive upside that he isn't reaching, who can be physically dominant one night and totally invisible the next. We already have one of those, and people have been killing him on here lately. A 2nd and a 4th is pretty steep to add another, especially one who's a pure rental. I'd rather keep those picks and package them for a bigger sure thing in the offseason, or use them to restock the cupboard if we deal guys like McIlrath/Thomas/Yogan/Whoever in another deal.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
haveandare

I'm so glad they kept all of the good prospects. It's too early to sort out who is worth keeping.

Read this on twitter from Christian Thomas, it put a smile on my face.

"@dylan_mcilrath: @cpt27 we survived! #LGR" yes! Nothing would have compared to NYR. #roomie"

Link here.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm so glad they kept all of the good prospects. It's too early to sort out who is worth keeping.

"@dylan_mcilrath: @cpt27 we survived! #LGR" yes! Nothing would have compared to NYR. #roomie"

Link here.
Wow. That makes me really happy they didn't trade those guys.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Smartest thing this organization could ever do. Keep the prospects and wait for a better fit.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post

Link here.
Thomas and McIlrath are much better at gaining popularity with NYR fans through Twitter than Kreider's incident last year.

Last edited by azrok22: 02-27-2012 at 05:47 PM.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

im contempt with what we did or didnt do for that matter, nash would have ****ed us cap wise. i love where this organization is heading and am really glad sather didnt deviate from that to add Nash, yea we could have probably gotten kostitsyn or zanon but you never know what the price for sather to acquire those guys was in comparison to the teams that did.

im confident in our guys stepping up in the playoffs and if its not our year theres always next year, this team has a nice window in front of us no need to rush it for one cup when we can be competitive for years to come.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Let me start by saying, I have been in favor of upgrading this team's offense forEVER. I've thought Dubi was overrated since after his second season and have wanted to take advantage of his inflated reputation around the league since then. And I was in favor of getting Nash (and before him, Ryan) from the moment it was rumored that he was available.

The front office gets an A. They didn't pay the ridiculous price required to get the one guy worth getting... and there WAS no one else worth getting. Given what the team has, who changed hands and what the costs were, I honestly think that had they made any significant moves I would've been less happy than where we are now.

As to the Scott acquisition, I'll start by saying I'm anti-goon... and I think it's a non-event. He's a minimum salary guy who expires at year's end. He's toughness against Boston & Philly and other than that, he likely sits. He's also a guy who, crappy as he is, provides experienced depth on defense should we be as unlucky as Vancouver was last year with injuries. In exchange we gave up a 5th, which isn't nothing - but it's easily replaceable if there's some guy hanging there in the 5th round that you think has slipped (especially since we're still flush with assets).

I wanted to upgrade the offense as badly as anyone on here. But, as far as I can tell, it wasn't an option - at least not at a reasonable price. So, we take our chances with what we have now (which is still pretty damn good), likely add Kreider and/or Erixon heading into the playoffs. And then try again in the summer for that one missing offensive piece.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

I wanted to upgrade the offense as badly as anyone on here. But, as far as I can tell, it wasn't an option - at least not at a reasonable price. So, we take our chances with what we have now (which is still pretty damn good), likely add Kreider and/or Erixon heading into the playoffs - and then try again in the summer for that one missing offensive piece.
I think that sums up my thoughts perfectly. I've been absolutely pining for us to upgrade the offense, but in the end I'm not distraught that we didn't trade for Nash.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

really hoping dubi lights it up in the playoffs and proves it was a good decision not to move him.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Wease

The guy I thought they might go after was resigned a month ago, Prospal...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
really hoping dubi lights it up in the playoffs and proves it was a good decision not to move him.
+1. I expect Dubinsky to be lights out now. If this doesn't motivate him, nothing will.

Such a disappointing season from him.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
GloveSave35

Happy to be moving forward with the same team that got us to 1st place thus far.

Very happy to keep the prospects. Sounds like we have some great years ahead as well.

Hoping to see Dubi light it up in the playoffs (or before!) and prove he should be here.

Let's keep moving forward. LGR!

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
+1. I expect Dubinsky to be lights out now. If this doesn't motivate him, nothing will.

Such a disappointing season from him.
it has definitely been one abismal season for him stat wise, but come playoffs thats wiped clean and everyone starts off 0g0a, i really hope this did motivate him.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
it has definitely been one abismal season for him stat wise, but come playoffs thats wiped clean and everyone starts off 0g0a, i really hope this did motivate him.
Indeed. He is one of the few players who shouldn't feel proud to be a Ranger right now. To be proud of what the team has accomplished. He hasn't been a part of it.

But he could prove otherwise the last 20 games and the playoffs. That he's done something to help the team at all.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
B+.

I would've liked AK, but I'm more happy with what we didn't do than what we did.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
ecemleafs

milbury saying we shud be disappointed we didnt get nash. good thing we did not get him then.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

B+ im happy we didn't give up any of our great prospects and youth. im happy we didn't overpay for Nash

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
B+.

I would've liked AK, but I'm more happy with what we didn't do than what we did.
AK is not a Torts kind of guy. There's a distinct possibility he would've been treated the same way Wolski was (although AK probably isn't quite that bad in his effort level).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
milbury saying we shud be disappointed we didnt get nash. good thing we did not get him then.
Of course it's a bit disappointing but it would have been more disappointing giving into Howson's over the top demands.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
If Milbury doesn't like it then I am sure we did the right thing.

02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
bmw2004

I am so happy we still have all our prospects and picks. Next year will be one hell of a year.

bmw2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

C+ very average. Would have loved to see the PP addressed, but it's a good thing Slats didn't do anything stupid.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
C+ very average. Would have loved to see the PP addressed, but it's a good thing Slats didn't do anything stupid.
I think we all would have liked to have addressed the PP. But who really was out there that could do that aside from Nash? Did you want Rolston?

02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think we all would have liked to have addressed the PP. But who really was out there that could do that aside from Nash? Did you want Rolston?
Wanted AK, but mostly wanted someone to step into the top 12 and make Mitchell the 13th forward he is.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
OverTheCap

Kevin Weekes and Craig Button put the Rangers in their list for 3 Stars of the deadline, FWIW. They applauded the Rangers for sticking with what they have and their belief in the team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote