HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As it stands now...

Old
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

vCash: 500
As it stands now...

With the deals today, all I could think about was how it effects us cap wise for next year. I knew obviously we cut salary trading Goose, but wasn't sure how much. Assuming Sulzer, Boyes and Hecht walk (and with Hecht having head problems he'll likely retire), Sabres would be $6,687,144 under the cap with Ennis and Kaleta to re-sign. Not sure what Ennis would get, but I'd assume Kaleta will get right around what he's at now which is about a million. I think this is another positive to consider about today's trades, it gives us the cap flexibility that we haven't had. Anyone have any idea what Ennis will command?

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
LGB24

Ennis likely 2 years around 2-2.5/year i think. Not too much cap room but we still have moves we can make to make cap room.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

We should also figure in that the cap will probably go up again this summer, as it has since it was implemented. It went up from 59.4 to 64 million this past year, so if it goes up anywhere near that we should be in a pretty comfortable spot.

As for Ennis, I'd probably guess something like 2.5-3 for 3 or 4 years. He may want an even shorter contract then that.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
With the deals today, all I could think about was how it effects us cap wise for next year. I knew obviously we cut salary trading Goose, but wasn't sure how much. Assuming Sulzer, Boyes and Hecht walk (and with Hecht having head problems he'll likely retire), Sabres would be $6,687,144 under the cap with Ennis and Kaleta to re-sign. Not sure what Ennis would get, but I'd assume Kaleta will get right around what he's at now which is about a million. I think this is another positive to consider about today's trades, it gives us the cap flexibility that we haven't had. Anyone have any idea what Ennis will command?
I think due to his injuries we will get him a little cheaper then previously thought, so I think It's safe to say 2-3 mil per for probably 2-3 years. Assuming that the cap will go up at least 2 million, we are in pretty good shape. We WILL need to add 2-3 forwards and 1 dman to our active roster, but that could come from free agency, the draft or moving some of our bigger grittier wingers up to the main team. Frankly Im expecting us to trade for a gritty top six winger this summer such as Dustin Brown, and then sign either Gaustad or Stoll, or a player similar to play a big third-fourth line center roll for us.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
We should also figure in that the cap will probably go up again this summer, as it has since it was implemented. It went up from 59.4 to 64 million this past year, so if it goes up anywhere near that we should be in a pretty comfortable spot.

As for Ennis, I'd probably guess something like 2.5-3 for 3 or 4 years. He may want an even shorter contract then that.
good call, very likely it could go up, not sure it will jump close to 5 million again, but 2-3 million would be real nice. 2-3 for 2-3 years for Ennis doesn't sound too unreasonable, could easily add grit with the space we have.

Old
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post

Not so fast. With the CBA expiring and a new deal not in place there are many talks the cap could go down. If it does though it likely gives us the ability to buy out Leino

Old
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I think due to his injuries we will get him a little cheaper then previously thought, so I think It's safe to say 2-3 mil per for probably 2-3 years. Assuming that the cap will go up at least 2 million, we are in pretty good shape. We WILL need to add 2-3 forwards and 1 dman to our active roster, but that could come from free agency, the draft or moving some of our bigger grittier wingers up to the main team. Frankly Im expecting us to trade for a gritty top six winger this summer such as Dustin Brown, and then sign either Gaustad or Stoll, or a player similar to play a big third-fourth line center roll for us.
imo I think Foligno and Tropp will come up and so will McNabb. Right there you get 2 gritty forwards and a solid defensemen. I'd like them to keep Sulzer up as the 7th and let McNabb get playing time in Rochester to continue growing.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Not sure Kaleta will be resigned. I think he'll be replaceable.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
You also have good fourth-line center options in Konopka and Prust this year (if the Rags let Prust get that far). Those are two guys who can take facebooks and throw down with the best of them at middleweight. Shawn Thornton becomes available too if Boston doesn't resign him, and he'd be a fantastic option. That would give the Sabres an old-fashioned enforcer again, but also a guy that can play regular minutes (unlike a Peters).

Toughness will be a big issue for the next 20 games or so, but it's something that can be easily addressed in the offseason. And as others pointed out, McNabb will be here for sure next year, which gives us 3 defenseman who can hit and fight in him, Webs, and Regehr. Granted, can fight doesn't necessarily mean they're all good at it

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Just looking quickly at the UFA list, you have Carcillo, Tootoo, and a few other Kaleta-esque guys out there. I'd take Kaleta over either, but if he gets banged up again in the next 20 games, it makes investing in him for a long period of time more difficult. The kid has a lot of wear and tear.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
You also have good fourth-line center options in Konopka and Prust this year (if the Rags let Prust get that far). Those are two guys who can take facebooks and throw down with the best of them at middleweight. Shawn Thornton becomes available too if Boston doesn't resign him, and he'd be a fantastic option. That would give the Sabres an old-fashioned enforcer again, but also a guy that can play regular minutes (unlike a Peters).

Toughness will be a big issue for the next 20 games or so, but it's something that can be easily addressed in the offseason. And as others pointed out, McNabb will be here for sure next year, which gives us 3 defenseman who can hit and fight in him, Webs, and Regehr. Granted, can fight doesn't necessarily mean they're all good at it
Its likely Foligno will be up as well. He doesn't have the offensive upside of Kassian but is far more consistant in his physical and hard edged play.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
hockey18

how does weber fit into the future plans? -14 with no goals and turn over after turn over. Is anyone watching the sabres games. His position will be up for grabs as well. Regher is a step slower and not getting any younger. What is the toughness? I must have missed all those tough guys jumping in to the fight at boston when they knocked out our goalie for two weeks? What is tough? -14 for weber and regher? no points? tough because they are in the middle of all the almost fights? how many actual fights has weber had this year?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
He is replaceable it seems, but I'd like to think if the money is reasonable, they'll take him over a slightly cheaper replacement simply because he's a Buffalo guy and fan favorite.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
hockey18

a fan favorite? for his multi turnover games? he might have been the worst d man during the bad streak. He hit all time lows in play. THe callups were much better then him. HE must have some pictures of coaches or something.

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:

McNabb up full time really will solidify the defense for next season.
I'm not too worried about the cap as long as the team recognizes the core pieces and lets the players who aren't a part of the new core leave. The Rochester core is on it's way out.

-Roy or Stafford's inevitable departure will free up the extra money we need to cover Myers pay raise.
-Gaustad's departure will cover the money we need to give Ennis a raise.
-When it comes time (knock on wood) to handle Hodgson as an RFA next year, we can give him the raise from the money left over from Hecht's departure.
-Any other needs we encounter salary cap wise will have to involve moving Miller or amnestying Leino if the new CBA obliges.

We should be set.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Just looking quickly at the UFA list, you have Carcillo, Tootoo, and a few other Kaleta-esque guys out there. I'd take Kaleta over either, but if he gets banged up again in the next 20 games, it makes investing in him for a long period of time more difficult. The kid has a lot of wear and tear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its likely Foligno will be up as well. He doesn't have the offensive upside of Kassian but is far more consistant in his physical and hard edged play.
I think Foligno will come up nicely, supported by Darcy's comments to the effect that Foligno made dealing Kassian easier. That could make Kaleta unnecessary.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yeah, I've seen close to 20 Amerks games, and I've been impressed with Foligno's game. He seems to get better and better. I don't see him being a top-six powerfoward, but he's going to be a hell of a third-line, hardworking, tough-nosed, defensively responsible player with the ability to pop 15. I get the sense that Rolston and Ruff prefer his attitude and maturity over Kassian's, and while I loved the idea of Kassian, I've found myself preferring Foligno's mental makeup as time has passed.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
McNabb up full time really will solidify the defense for next season.
I'm not too worried about the cap as long as the team recognizes the core pieces and lets the players who aren't a part of the new core leave. The Rochester core is on it's way out.

-Roy or Stafford's inevitable departure will free up the extra money we need to cover Myers pay raise.
-Gaustad's departure will cover the money we need to give Ennis a raise.
-When it comes time (knock on wood) to handle Hodgson as an RFA next year, we can give him the raise from the money left over from Hecht's departure.
-Any other needs we encounter salary cap wise will have to involve moving Miller or amnestying Leino if the new CBA obliges.

We should be set.
Boyes' departure frees that money up, and I get the sense that's how Regier planned it when they signed TyMy.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
how does weber fit into the future plans? -14 with no goals and turn over after turn over. Is anyone watching the sabres games. His position will be up for grabs as well. Regher is a step slower and not getting any younger. What is the toughness? I must have missed all those tough guys jumping in to the fight at boston when they knocked out our goalie for two weeks? What is tough? -14 for weber and regher? no points? tough because they are in the middle of all the almost fights? how many actual fights has weber had this year?

Next year we have this as our defense:

Ehrhoff - Myers
Sekera - McNabb
Regehr - Leopold
Weber/Brennan/Sulzer (if we resign him)

We have a good defense completely under contract, with Weber probably ending up as the 7/8/9 defender.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Boyes' departure frees that money up, and I get the sense that's how Regier planned it when they signed TyMy.
Wow, completely forgot that. I guess we can spend the money from a Roy/Stafford trade towards a more physical forward or something. Pretty happy with our situation cap wise though.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
a fan favorite? for his multi turnover games? he might have been the worst d man during the bad streak. He hit all time lows in play. THe callups were much better then him. HE must have some pictures of coaches or something.
If you're talking to me, I was talking about Kaleta, not Weber.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
PanicItsVanek26

I wish we could have got Stafford's 12 million over the next three seasons off the books.

Next year we should have some young guys (McNabb, Foligno and Adam) on EL deals make the team and if another D man like Pysyk impresses in camp they could probably move Leopold (3 million UFA). As gloomy as the cap situation looked months ago I think they should have some money to spare.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Mostly everyone on this board is watching the sabres games. It seems like you are not based on your assessments. Neither Weber nor Regehr are offensive defenseman therefore points do not matter in any way when evaluating their play. Secondly, don't judge a players toughness/physicality on number of fights. Regehr has been facing the other teams best lines all year and has been great defensively. He's a minus because our team is a very low scoring team. Weber has picked up his play and his been very sound defensively for the past few weeks.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:30 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Yikes

Your expectation of what is a tough hockey player would be better suited to describe a UFA fighter.

Regehr and Weber are tough defensive defensemen.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Luceni

I resign both, Kaleta and Ennis.

I'm not worried about Kaletas Injury history with Tropp, Foligno and Adam down in Rochester.

Adding that Russian center at draft ( I can't write his name) and moving Roy + Stafford for Dustin Brown would be epic.

I also think that it wouldn't be a mistake to have Hecht for at least another year in a bottom 6 / second PK unit role.

Then we look at:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pomineville
Leino - Ennis - Brown
Gerbe - That Russian guy - Kaleta
Hecht - McCormick - Tropp

But Ruff will find a way to F this up.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote