HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special Trade Deadline Edition!

Old
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
I thought this was kind of a cool look at the guys we have now.

Drafted in rounds....

Vanek - 1st
Hodgson - 1st
Ennis - 1st
Stafford - 1st
Boyes - 1st
Regehr - 1st
Myers - 1st
Roy - 2nd
Pominville - 2nd
Leopold - 2nd
Weber - 2nd
Enroth - 2nd
Sekera - 3rd
Sulzer - 3rd
Ehrhoff - 4th
Gerbe - 5th
Miller - 5th
Kaleta - 6th
Ellis - Undrafted
Leino - Undrafted

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
I'm still in a state of shock and haven't really been able to process everything yet.

On one hand, I think we pretty clearly won in terms of "value" today. Gaustad's clearly not a 4th rounder away from being worth a 1st round pick, and the contract negotiations weren't going well. Hodgson and Kassian are both highly touted young players, with Hodgson being further along in his development.

But it's hard to, once again, watch this team get smaller and softer. I'm frustrated just writing that damned sentence. I also worry that the tires haven't been kicked on Hodgson yet.

Krieger Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
I'm still in a state of shock and haven't really been able to process everything yet.

On one hand, I think we pretty clearly won in terms of "value" today. Gaustad's clearly not a 4th rounder away from being worth a 1st round pick, and the contract negotiations weren't going well. Hodgson and Kassian are both highly touted young players, with Hodgson being further along in his development.

But it's hard to, once again, watch this team get smaller and softer. I'm frustrated just writing that damned sentence. I also worry that the tires haven't been kicked on Hodgson yet.
This is a future move, the Sabres will add toughness in the offseason. Regier has stated as such.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
somewhat off-topic: have there been any interviews with goose yet?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I think the Gauted deal was very good. A 20th-30th pick overall for a 4th and another month of hockey from Goose is a GREAT move.

But.

Hate the Hodgkin/Sulzer deal. Yay Gragnani is gone, I guess. But they are bringing in 2 more Regier cookie cutter non-hitting/minimal aggression players.

Win a round of hockey playing a non-hitting style and I'll change my tune. Win a Cup playing that way? I doubt it will ever happen.

They just traded away a great player in Kassian for another Leino/Boyes type guy.

Detriot says HI!

EichHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
This is where I'm at. I agree with the Hodgson move and think that this was the right thing to do. There is still a lot more to do to 1) get some kind of size and toughness into the top 6, and 2) get this team more than 2 NHL centers.

I believe that addressing all of that might not have been an option at the trade deadline. However, I'm not overly optimistic that the man with the plan that put the team into this mess is going take the steps necessary to get us out.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jame
Dream '16

the good
- a top 6, 22 year old, calder candidate, potential franchise center :holycow:
- another 1st round pick to restock the pipeline, or make significant move at draft
- an acknowledgement of the need to do what is necessary to solve the center issue
- conversations with goose's agent that were NOT about contract extension (making clear they want to re-sign him in the offseason IMO)
- never need to see grags in blue n gold again

the bad
- nothing, absolutely nothing

the awesome
- can you say POTENTIAL FRANCHISE CENTER!!!!

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowley Birkin

I don't post here too often these days but had to comment on this.

On the face of it, once again it seems great work has been done by Regier and Co.

Hodgson seems like the perfect fit - although I won't expect too much too soon. Hurts to give up on Kassian who is a player I was excited about - but in terms of value Sabres win this easily. Losing MAG is a bonus too, its unfortunate to say.

Have to give a big thumbs up to the Gaustad trade as well. Great guy and all - but I don't think worth the deal he was reported to be after. I like the fact DR has been prepared to ship out some of the so called Core. Thought we'd get a 2nd at best so it looks like again on the face of it, fantastic value. Maybe he even re-signs in the summer but I wouldn't want him unless its for the right money and term.

After these deals I don't feel too bad about missing on the playoffs since the future - at least on paper - looks brighter.

I'm worried about the blatant lack of physicality and size in the forward group now as a whole though, and I hope this is something that can be addressed in the offseason. This is priority number 1 for me now.

I'd have liked to see them try and get rid of one or two more - but I suppose management feel there is still some hope this season. They should still look at shedding a few in the summer - in particular if Hodgson is half the player he is hyped to be I hope it is the end of Roy in a Sabres jersey sooner rather than later.

I'll give Darcy an 'A' though.

Rowley Birkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the good
- another 1st round pick to restock the pipeline, or make significant move at draft
- an acknowledgement of the need to do what is necessary to solve the center issue
- conversations with goose's agent that were NOT about contract extension (making clear they want to re-sign him in the offseason IMO)

the bad

the awesome
Finally someone with some sense and optimism. Exactly how I'm feeling. No possible way you can take any negatives away from today

LGB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

It won't be hard to replace the "toughness" Goose brought. The guy had a much bigger bark than he did bite, we can easily get someone to do a better job at it for much cheaper than what we paid him.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
This is a future move, the Sabres will add toughness in the offseason. Regier has stated as such.
I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been waiting for Regier to add toughness every draft, July 1st, and trade deadline since 2007 - including today. Outside of the 2009 draft (whose marquee player we just traded away) and the Rivet and Regehr acquisitions, I've been left disappointed.

It's hard to watch toughness leave the organization yet again; although Hodgson certainly makes it easier to swallow.

EDIT: Before I'm accused of being a Debbie Downer, I'm not feeling completely negative about today. It's just that I'm much more mixed than many others seem to be.

Krieger Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

as I've stated in other threads I hate losing Kassian, but Hodgson fills a dire dire need of this team. One thing I'm confused about is that the more I'm reading about this trade, it seems to me that the Canucks want Kassian to contribute right away. While he has shown flashes of dominance at times I don't think he is ready for full time NHL duty yet especially come playoff time.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the good

the bad

the awesome
Been super busy and away from these boards, but after I heard the news I popped on to post this. I never knew Darcy had this much magic in him.

For people who aren't too familiar with Hodgson, he's a beast. Drafted two spots before Myers in 2008. Drool.

As far as getting smaller... who cares? Getting bigger isn't going to get us into the playoffs this season. Darcy has the off season to address that issue -- not to mention Foligno and McNabb possibly cracking the lineup next season.

I haven't been this excited about the Sabres since October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
as I've stated in other threads I hate losing Kassian, but Hodgson fills a dire dire need of this team. One thing I'm confused about is that the more I'm reading about this trade, it seems to me that the Canucks want Kassian to contribute right away. While he has shown flashes of dominance at times I don't think he is ready for full time NHL duty yet especially come playoff time.
I don't think he'd be out of place on the 4th line for the rest of this season for the 'Nucks. When he wants to play, he can absolutely play. Perhaps being on a legit contender will bring out the best in Kassian.

Last edited by jamers: 02-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm baffled by it as well.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Been super busy and away from these boards, but after I heard the news I popped on to post this. I never knew Darcy had this much magic in him.

For people who aren't too familiar with Hodgson, he's a beast. Drafted two spots before Myers in 2008. Drool.

As far as getting smaller... who cares? Getting bigger isn't going to get us into the playoffs this season. Darcy has the off season to address that issue -- not to mention Foligno and McNabb possibly cracking the lineup next season.

I haven't been this excited about the Sabres since October.

I don't think he'd be out of place on the 4th line for the rest of this season for the 'Nucks. When he wants to play, he can absolutely play. Perhaps being on a legit contender will bring out the best in Kassian.
By why trade your rookie of the year candidate at the more important position for a young winger with potential that will be a 4th line winger for now? The Nucks are trying to get back to the Cup Finals. I fail to see how Kassian helps that cause THIS year.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
Dealing Kassian only further affirms management's belief that Stafford can be something. Do you think this season is just aberrant for Stafford or that it will be his new norm and we wasted 16 million on him? Also, I guess we start looking for wingers with some scoring and toughness for this off-season. Any suggestions?
Not so. Dealing Kassian shows that Darcy recognizes that the most difficult hole to fill is skilled center. Much easier to bring in a winger with size over the summer. This is filling an organizational need. You don't get a center like Hodgson by piecing together grag-bag packages like Stafford, Gragnani and a 3rd. You have to be willing to cough up a rare, prized piece of potential like Kassian. I'm still not sure if Kassian will realize his awesome potential. Boom or bust, me thinks.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
By why trade your rookie of the year candidate at the more improtant position for a 4th line winger (at this point of his career)?
Organizational need from the Canucks. They have two centers ahead of Hodgson in Sedin and Kesler. They needed a more defensive-minded 3rd line center to shut people down in the playoffs. Hodgson isn't really that. So they make a trade to get that defensive 3rd line center (Pahlsson). They are also a primarily finesse team, so they wanted to add size and grit (Kassian). Plus, Kassian does have great potential.

It's a bit risky in my opinion on their part -- simply because we don't know if Kassian will achieve his potential. But it makes sense for both teams.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Detriot says HI!
Haha are you seriously comparing Ruff's system and track record to Detroit's? We don't have the high end talent (Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, etc.) to start that comparison.

Buffalo. Is NOT. NOT. CLEARLY not Detroit. Getting smaller and softer doesn't make them closer to that comparison either. Sorry.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Umm he was awesome, but he lost his drive due to what I suspect is a general attitude about the team. It's asking too much to bring in like one aggressive player, who is a 20 year old rookie, to man up and play on the edge every night. In Vancouver they have a few other guys who play with an edge and he will fit in there better.

Kassian is going to be a star there, immediately. Hodgkin is going to be terribly average.

Time for a new GM.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Hodgson is high end talent.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Organizational need from the Canucks. They have two centers ahead of Hodgson in Sedin and Kesler. They needed a more defensive-minded 3rd line center to shut people down in the playoffs. Hodgson isn't really that. So they make a trade to get that defensive 3rd line center (Pahlsson). They are also a primarily finesse team, so they wanted to add size and grit (Kassian). Plus, Kassian does have great potential.

It's a bit risky in my opinion on their part -- simply because we don't know if Kassian will achieve his potential. But it makes sense for both teams.
Disagree.

The Nucks needed a vet with playoff experience that plays with an edge. Not a kid with that as his potential 3 years or so from now.

Pahlson is a shell of his former self and is not going to be a lockdown anything for them.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Disagree.

The Nucks needed a vet with playoff experince, not a kid with no NHL playoff games. They are trying to win right now.

Pahlson is a shell of his former self and is not going to be a lockdown anything for them.
I did say it was a risky trade for them (imo).

Old
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Umm he was awesome, but he lost his drive due to what I suspect is a general attitude about the team. It's asking too much to bring in like one aggressive player, who is a 20 year old rookie, to man up and play on the edge every night. In Vancouver they have a few other guys who play with an edge and he will fit in there better.
He was getting called out for not being physically engaged on a Rochester squad with Finley, Foligno, Morrisonn, Whitmore, etc and a guy who's all work ethic behind the bench in Rolston.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Not so. Dealing Kassian shows that Darcy recognizes that the most difficult hole to fill is skilled center. Much easier to bring in a winger with size over the summer. This is filling an organizational need. You don't get a center like Hodgson by piecing together grag-bag packages like Stafford, Gragnani and a 3rd. You have to be willing to cough up a rare, prized piece of potential like Kassian. I'm still not sure if Kassian will realize his awesome potential. Boom or bust, me thinks.
Yep. People wanna complain about the team getting smaller. It's an issue to be sure but not a strategic flaw. Let the team be as small as possible for the rest of the season for all I care, their playoff chances are such a crapshoot that it probably helps more than it hurts to be small and dynamic. Foligno will probably earn a roster spot next season if there's a decent opportunity. He's actually more physical than Kassian at this point (sans the big open ice hits) and though his offensive skills aren't as great he can absolutely bring an all-around game. McNabb should earn a spot. A bottom 6 center in Gaustad's mold can be acquired in free agency.

This is the kind of 1 step forward 1 step back move you have to make short-term if you want to get something so needed and coveted (a damn top 6 center) long-term. This is about as long-term as you can get, to get a NHL ready center who is also very young.

And let's not discount all these picks the Sabres have, along with plenty of prospect AND player assets. Who knows what may become of all of that. I'm very excited. Darcy's quote about improving that "second core" of Ennis and Myers etc behind the "old core" is spot on. Hodgson should fit in with these players strategically. Going forward the team needs a big, defensive centerman for the bottom 6 but does anyone think that is going to matter for this season?

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
He was getting called out for not being physically engaged on a Rochester squad with Finley, Foligno, Morrisonn, Whitmore, etc and a guy who's all work ethic behind the bench in Rolston.

Ha! Morrisonn and Finley? Who cares what they think? The way he protects the puck at the NHL level makes him dramatically more valuable than Hogkins. Who wont hit AT ALL. IN ANY LEAGUE. Not even a little. Regier wont be happy until everybody on the team is the exact same player. He aimed for mediocrity and achieved it. gratz. Any GM with long term vision would not have traded Kassian. Unreal.