HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
Your cherry picking stats... Gastaud aka goose, has many Intangibles and is a role Player on our 4th maybe 3rd line. People who fail to see this deadline was huge for us I shake my head at all of you.
Those comments where a joke. Like I said, I reserve judgement until we see how this team plays in the POs. Yes, it's obvious we massively overpaid for Gastaud, but if he can play a part in getting this team WCF, then it will probably be worth the big price we paid for a 3rd/4th line rental.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I really think the same people who think we overspent today would be bemoaning poiles inactivity if we had done nothing, and would have decried the loss of all our assets if the rumored nash deal had gone through.

some folks just wont be optimistic until they see the results... and given our history, thats ok... because in the end, all the great looking moves dont mean squat if we wash out in the first round.

but if we do in fact make a deep run, I hope when time comes credit is given where it is due...

Best winger acquired during trade season: Kostitsyn(tie with Hodgson)
Best shut down/PK defenseman acquired during trade season: Gill
Best defensive/PK minded center acquired during trade season: Gaustad

top tier prospects lost during trade season: none.

I believe David Poile has made a solid case for GM of the year, at this point...

Old
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I believe David Poile has made a solid case for GM of the year, at this point...
Like you said, it all comes to the 2012 playoffs.... especially when you traded for 3 impending UFAs.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think that when we look back in 5 or 10 years, the smartest move of all by Poile will be keeping Blum. Ellis could have gotten a big return. Blum would have been selling low. If he eventually regains the form he had last year, he will be an invaluable asset to us. I still have hope for Blum. We'll really need him if Weber and/or Suter leave.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
token grinder

what is the one thing that gives our team fits? big centerman. kesler gave us fits. thornton gave us fits. backes gives us fits. etc. what did we do? we add a guy that has size in gill that can lean on these guys and wear them down. We add a centerman who is a bigger and stronger and better at the dot than the guy he replaced. looking back now it may not be a big time forward we to advance. it may have been the size and experience we just added. only then will we know if we over paid

Old
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Dp (including the Gil trade) 1) improved our PK (Gil and Gaustad) 2) became a lot bigger (Gil and Gaustad) 3) improved our face off ability (Gaustad 10th in the league) 4) increased our scoring depth (AK) 5) improved our PK (Gaustad) and we didn't give up any roster players in these trades (?Smithson no room).

If we're not happy with that performance by DP, I don't know what to think. Great job DP, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

Last edited by Predatorbill: 02-27-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot PK
Old
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We paid pretty big for Gaustad, but, it was the going price for him. We got AK46 for a steal. No big game changers moved. Hodgson might be one in the future, but, he isn't there yet. We addressed our needs with another depth scoring forward and solidifying our PK and faceoff ability while adding size pretty much across the board (AK46 is our smallest addition at 6', 215ish).

Old
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Great job DP, no matter what happens in the playoffs.
That's where I disagree. It's ALL about what happens in the playoffs. We traded for 3 impending UFAs. We have 2 superstars hoping to contend before signing extensions. We have to build on momentum to keep the game growing in Nashville. IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS THE PLAYOFFS!

Good interview with DP on NP.com

Old
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Like you said, it all comes to the 2012 playoffs.... especially when you traded for 3 impending UFAs.
The hindsight evaluation system .... it's a technique.

Our PK has been a bit weak this season, so we add Gill and Gaustad at the expense of Smithson. We've complained for a while about a lack of size, then we add Gaustad (6'5", 225ish), Gill (6'7", 240ish), and Andrei Kostitsyn (6', 215ish). Poile went out and found pieces that addressed our needs for the stretch run.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The hindsight evaluation system .... it's a technique.
Yes, seeing the results is an accurate technique of evaluation.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Everyone is saying we traded for 3 rentals, but I could see AK back for sure. And Gill depending on the Suter situation. Gaustad...maybe, but unlikely.

If we get AK long term for a 2nd....

Old
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Preds311

Basically you look at what we did today and the past 2 weeks as addressing what failed in the past and have 3 guys we have on an extended tryout. Nobody really was looking to part with any huge names and if our ownership group is serious about opening up the pocket books(Right now we are only about $230,000 more than last year at this time), will do so this summer and hopefully add some great talent. That in turn would show Weber, Suter we mean business to sign longterm. I would imagine it showed them that we are committed to adding the right pieces to a puzzle to contend and with more to be done in the summer it could solidify that to them. No need to move on if we can win and go far here.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Yes, seeing the results is an accurate technique of evaluation.
Did we have holes to fill? Yes. Did Poile bring in players to address those holes? Yes. Did it cost us key parts of the roster or near ready NHL prospects? No.

Poile did exactly what he needed to do. If one of these guys gets injured, it must instantly mean it was wrong to acquire them in the first place using your hindsight based method. Acquiring Grebeshkov was a good move no matter how shortened his playing time was with us.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Did we have holes to fill? Yes. Did Poile bring in players to address those holes? Yes. Did it cost us key parts of the roster or near ready NHL prospects? No.
Did we win the playoffs? TBD.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...ole?&id=160800

Excellent summary of the deadline by Poile.

Best part is a 5:15. Basically says to Suter "Hey there Ryan, how bout them apples!"

He also swears earlier in the video, pretty funny.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
what is the one thing that gives our team fits? big centerman. kesler gave us fits. thornton gave us fits. backes gives us fits. etc. what did we do? we add a guy that has size in gill that can lean on these guys and wear them down. We add a centerman who is a bigger and stronger and better at the dot than the guy he replaced. looking back now it may not be a big time forward we to advance. it may have been the size and experience we just added. only then will we know if we over paid
Something else that the TSN guys noted, by trading Hodgson, the Canucks depleted their 3rd scoring line. So now it's up to the Sedin's and Kesler to completely carry the scoring load... maybe not the smartest deadline for them.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
predwings

Quote:
So we got a "pure sniper" with a a whopping 12 goals, a 7 goal scorer with 0 playoff goals in 38 games, and an over-the-hill cinderblock with a big stick?

(had to throw that in there )

We'll see how it all plays out. All three are impending UFAs, so the success of these moves will be judged by how we play in the playoffs. No use in speculating now...
AK was on Montreal...and no offense to them..they were the CBJ of the east really. Disappointing and are having a firesale basically. He was unmotivated and playing 3rd and 4th line time with 24 points and 12 goals...that's better than some of our 3rd and 4th liners.

Gaustad is a roleplayer, but a younger one than Smithson that is bigger and even better on the faceoff dot. He has a knack for shutting down top lines. Him coupled with Gill will improve our PK a couple ranks at least. He actually puts more goals and assists in and plays like Hornqvist when it's 5 v 5..parking himself in the net and not being moved.

Gill is an amazing addition I don't really need to get into it as it's obvious he's a warrior who improves not only our defense but our pk as well.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...ole?&id=160800

Excellent summary of the deadline by Poile.

Best part is a 5:15. Basically says to Suter "Hey there Ryan, how bout them apples!"

He also swears earlier in the video, pretty funny.
Yeah I don't understand why you Americans consider arse to be swearing! It would be perfectly acceptable to say that on children's television here in Britain, not really any negative connotations for it. Just another way to say bottom.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Did we win the playoffs? TBD.
Playoffs are as much luck as anything else. Do our guys stay healthy? Does our competition? Does some team that made few or no moves get on a miraculous hot run that we just get caught in?

If the only measure of success is winning it all, failure is all but guaranteed.

As far as evaluating the TRADE DEADLINE ... Poile did good.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
If the only measure of success is winning it all, failure is all but guaranteed.
If that's the case, we might as well quit now.

In terms of success, I think a WCF or SCF appearance would be considered a big success for this team.

Losing in the 1st rd would be a major disappointment in most people's eyes.

Losing in the 2nd rd would be grey area-- guess it depends how much of a fight we put up.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
predwings

Quote:
Playoffs are as much luck as anything else. Do our guys stay healthy? Does our competition? Does some team that made few or no moves get on a miraculous hot run that we just get caught in?

As far as evaluating the TRADE DEADLINE ... Poile did good.
I have to agree with this, it's putting the right pieces on the ice and hoping you don't run into someone on a hot streak that sinks your ship..gotta stay healthy too of course.

Adding the depth we did though allows us to plug-in people as needed for the playoffs.

Trade Deadline Grade: A-

A couple decent trades while adding everything we needed for a decent price without losing roster players.

A Nash or Jeff Carter trade would've put as at A+ but honestly this is one of if not our best trade deadline to date.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
It's putting the right pieces on the ice and hoping you don't run into someone on a hot streak that sinks your ship.
DET or VAN don't need to get hot, they are already good. SJS and STL aren't far behind either. CHI could get hot (or live up to their potential).

We certainly have added some pieces. In terms of competing with the playoff tested teams, we still have the same hole. Teams like DET and VAN have at least 3 true first-line forwards. We have 0. One could argue we have more depth, or better D, or a better G, but it's not like they are thin in any area. It certainly appears to be the best team we have ever iced against them, but they would still be the favorite.

It's why we play the games...

Old
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
luckofirish8

The problem with the how bout them apples Suter argument is they are all rentals. Yeah, it shows some intent, but those three are just as likely to not be next year as they are to be in Smashville. Don't get me wrong though...I like the moves and think we are a better team for them.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
DET or VAN don't need to get hot, they are already good. SJS and STL aren't far behind either. CHI could get hot (or live up to their potential).

We certainly have added some pieces. In terms of competing with the playoff tested teams, we still have the same hole. Teams like DET and VAN have at least 3 true first-line forwards. We have 0. One could argue we have more depth, or better D, or a better G, but it's not like they are thin in any area. It certainly appears to be the best team we have ever iced against them, but they would still be the favorite.

It's why we play the games...
So they have first line talent. We have the best defensive pairing and possibly the best goalie in the NHL. What's your point? Last time I checked, we were a pretty darn good team. Every time we play a top team we play them pretty evenly. That's about all anyone can ask. We have a tough stretch of games over the next month. What Poile did today and since acquiring Gill is give us depth to help us through this tough stretch of games and prepare us for the playoffs. No team has the depth we have 1-14 up front and while we can only play 12 up front, we have some options as opposed to hoping we make it thru the rest of the season and the playoffs healthy.

Poile filled holes. He added depth. He added some of the best pieces that were available. He didn't give up any talent from an already talented roster. While they are rentals, they were calculated gambles and we always say that Poile doesn't take risks. I think this puts it to bed. He gave up a first and two seconds in the process. Pair that with giving up the first for Fisher last year and we won't have one for basically 3 years. That says a lot for a guy who is so conservative.

You can come on here and say this and that and until we win in the playoffs this is a failure. I think if we won the Cup you'd still be unhappy with anything and everything Poile does. Putting a roster together is a risk. Did Poile address needs, yes. Will it make us a better team, we can only hope so.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Building a good team is half the battle. Next step is do well in the playoffs. That will speak larger than anything to Weber/Suter

Closed Thread