HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special Trade Deadline Edition!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
  #76
jamers
McTankel Mechanic
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ha! Morrisonn and Finley? Who cares what they think? The way he protects the puck at the NHL level makes him dramatically more valuable than Hogkins. Who wont hit AT ALL. IN ANY LEAGUE. Not even a little. Regier wont be happy until everybody on the team is the exact same player. He aimed for mediocrity and achieved it. gratz. Any GM with long term vision would not have traded Kassian. Unreal.
It's Hodgson, and unless you're trolling, you should get off that ledge and watch him play.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:34 PM
  #77
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Canucks are trying to bank on the hope that a very inconsistent, very immature player who hasn't shown any toughness at the NHL level will protect their team from tougher veterans in the playoffs. Windsor did the same thing (although Kassian is a beast against younger players he has 50 lbs on) and all Kassian could do was get himself suspended and screw over the team.

I think this trade was made by Darcy Regier with an assist from Marcus Foligno.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
  #78
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
It's Hodgson, and unless you're trolling, you should get off that ledge and watch him play.
Oh I'll watch...what's his name. And I'll count the days until they find a better GM.

EDIT Moskau. awesome avatar. El Toro is one of my favorite songs!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
  #79
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,497
vCash: 500
Kassian didn't play for the big club, so we only got smaller in the sense that we lost Gaustad (who wasn't exactly a physical force anyhow) but gained a legit top-six player in a position of dire weakness?

I'm good with that. We have some grit coming up next year in Foligno and McNabb. Regier can make further plays over the offseason.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
  #80
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ha! Morrisonn and Finley? Who cares what they think? The way he protects the puck at the NHL level makes him dramatically more valuable than Hogkins. Who wont hit AT ALL. IN ANY LEAGUE. Not even a little. Regier wont be happy until everybody on the team is the exact same player. He aimed for mediocrity and achieved it. gratz. Any GM with long term vision would not have traded Kassian. Unreal.
If he's so good at "protecting the puck", why doesn't he create offense at the NHL level? Even if he is good at that, who gives a damn if it doesn't lead to goals for? Just working the puck down low does nothing unless it creates chances.

Last I checked, you won games by scoring more goals than the other team, not by outhitting or out fighting them. Hell, teams don't even fight in the playoffs.

You can sign grinders in the offseason for pennies, you can't just get high end offensive talent. That's what wins games in this league. There's a reason why guys like Malkin, Sedins, Datsyuk are making $6-8 million a year and guys like Thornton, Staubitz, Gaustad, and Kaleta don't even come close.


Last edited by HockeyH3aven: 02-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  #81
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ha! Morrisonn and Finley? Who cares what they think? The way he protects the puck at the NHL level makes him dramatically more valuable than Hogkins. Who wont hit AT ALL. IN ANY LEAGUE. Not even a little. Regier wont be happy until everybody on the team is the exact same player. He aimed for mediocrity and achieved it. gratz. Any GM with long term vision would not have traded Kassian. Unreal.
You said that the Sabres neutered Kassian. So then why were there questions about his physical game in Rochester? With a ballsy coach and workmanlike roster?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  #82
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Kassian didn't play for the big club, so we only got smaller in the sense that we lost Gaustad (who wasn't exactly a physical force anyhow) but gained a legit top-six player in a position of dire weakness?

I'm good with that. We have some grit coming up next year in Foligno and McNabb. Regier can make further plays over the offseason.
You just can't stop taking shots at him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  #83
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Hodgson has the potential to be an 80 point Captain and Selke caliber player. Kassian is vastly overrated by this fan base because of how soft the team is. That can be addressed much easier than what Hodgson brings. I'll take Foligno over Kassian any day of the week. Foligno will be an assistant captain on this team in a few years and bring the same physical game that Kassian does.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
  #84
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Hodgson has the potential to be an 80 point Captain and Selke caliber player. Kassian is vastly overrated by this fan base because of how soft the team is. That can be addressed much easier than what Hodgson brings. I'll take Foligno over Kassian any day of the week. Foligno will be an assistant captain on this team in a few years and bring the same physical game that Kassian does.
Well I'm glad to see your not being the same way with Hodgson

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
  #85
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You just can't stop taking shots at him.
Someone has to balance out your blind homerism for him. Away from the face-off circle Gaustad has sucked for 2 years.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
  #86
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Well I'm glad to see your not being the same way with Hodgson
Saying Hodgson has the potential to be something is overrating him. Ok mang. Kassian has been nothing but fake tough since coming to the Sabres and some posters act like he is Lucic 2.0

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
  #87
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Saying Hodgson has the potential to be something is overrating him. Ok mang. Kassian has been nothing but fake tough since coming to the Sabres and some posters act like he is Lucic 2.0
Relax. I'm just messing.

I think we won that trade.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
  #88
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Someone has to balance out your blind homerism for him. Away from the face-off circle Gaustad has sucked for 2 years.
Blind homerism? But saying he sucked other than faceoffs is a balanced approach?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
  #89
PanicItsVanek26
Registered User
 
PanicItsVanek26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portage, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Oh I'll watch...what's his name. And I'll count the days until they find a better GM.

EDIT Moskau. awesome avatar. El Toro is one of my favorite songs!
Wow. Do you realize that Darcy just traded a 3rd(2nd at best) line winger for a 1st line center? Darcy also got a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad. Buffalo got the best player today(at the position we needed the most) and now we have two 1st and two 2nd round picks.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
  #90
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Oh I'll watch...what's his name. And I'll count the days until they find a better GM.

EDIT Moskau. awesome avatar. El Toro is one of my favorite songs!
So you don't know how to spell his name (therefore never heard of him) and admittedly have never seen him play hockey, yet you're furious with the trade and you're able to compare him to current players on our roster?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
  #91
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
You said that the Sabres neutered Kassian. So then why were there questions about his physical game in Rochester? With a ballsy coach and workmanlike roster?
He comes into the NHL and plays with enthusiasm for a couple of weeks and shows a snippet of what he's capable of. Then he hits a lull and he's now all of a sudden irreversibly soft? I think this is a case of "product of your environment". I don't think this "tough" AHL coach knows how to get aggressive play out of Kassian anymore than he could make Stafford a power forward.

You know, maybe he WONT ever be a Lucic, but he sure as hell wont be another soft-never hit player like the Sabres are absolutely stacked with. It wouldn't be that bad if they actually had the front end talent to back up their "disciplined" play, but they don't. They can't win with skill or toughness and trading Kassian ensures that they are further away from ever finding that balance.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
  #92
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You just can't stop taking shots at him.
I just can't help myself!

Maybe harshly written, I just don't believe that our team is suddenly buttery soft with the loss of Gaustad, especially when the context is the rest of this season. He can be replaced, assuming he doesn't just decide to sign back here again for a reasonable contract.

I'll admit my bias of being thoroughly disgusted at the lack of response on his part of the Miller incident, though.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
  #93
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I just can't help myself!

Maybe harshly written, I just don't believe that our team is suddenly buttery soft with the loss of Gaustad, especially when the context is the rest of this season. He can be replaced, assuming he doesn't just decide to sign back here again for a reasonable contract.
I was noticing the trend the last few days and was wondering if you could get one more in

I like the trade since its whats best for the team. I'm obviouisly a huge fan of his but this trade was a run away win for us IMO.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
  #94
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
Wow. Do you realize that Darcy just traded a 3rd(2nd at best) line winger for a 1st line center? Darcy also got a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad. Buffalo got the best player today(at the position we needed the most) and now we have two 1st and two 2nd round picks.


yaya Boyes, Connolly, and Leino are 1st line centers too right? Regier would need a map, compass, and a star hovering over him to find his way to a 1st line center. Please don't call him a 1st line center. Please.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
  #95
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Blind homerism? But saying he sucked other than faceoffs is a balanced approach?
Don't get me wrong I love Goose as a player and a person. The fact that he re-defined his face-off skills for NHL longevity is incredible to me and I wish more fringe talent players would find a niche to do this (Detroit is #1 at doing this with guys).

But he's shredded his shoulder twice in the past 3 years and it's taken a HUGE toll on his physical game. I've never been that enamored with his play defensively either. It's slightly above average but his foot speed hurts it especially with this defense core.

I hope we resign the guy in the off season at the same value and make him more of a specialist than a figure of the roster that he's been cast as lately.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
  #96
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
Wow. Do you realize that Darcy just traded a 3rd(2nd at best) line winger for a 1st line center? Darcy also got a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad. Buffalo got the best player today(at the position we needed the most) and now we have two 1st and two 2nd round picks.
1st line center


In your too high expectation dreams!!!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
  #97
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
yaya Boyes, Connolly, and Leino are 1st line centers too right? Regier would need a map, compass, and a star hovering over him to find his way to a 1st line center. Please don't call him a 1st line center. Please.
He traded for Briere and drafted Roy. I think he knows what one looks like.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
  #98
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
1st line center


In your too high expectation dreams!!!
You don't think Hodgson is a #1 centre? Think again

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
  #99
B4T3R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
yaya Boyes, Connolly, and Leino are 1st line centers too right? Regier would need a map, compass, and a star hovering over him to find his way to a 1st line center. Please don't call him a 1st line center. Please.
I guarantee you if we went back in time and any of those players were available and YOU were the sabres GM you would make the same deals as Darcy did in that same situation. Connolly was exactly what we payed for when he came from the Island, he had some bad luck with injuries and was never the same after concussions. Leino had many high priced suitors and was a seemingly underrated winger that has a lot of untapped potential and to call him bad is just ridiculous. Yes he hasn't scored in the bunches we've wanted from him but to be fair he hasn't had a lot to work with until we put Ennis at center. Boyes was a former 30 goal scorer and the chance at different scenery might have changed his luck, it hasn't but at least he's good in the SO and to say Hodgson (who is one of the 3 frontrunners for the Calder at this point) is worth less then Kassian is straight up ignorance. Kassian's toughness was there, no doubt, but lacked the scoring ability that many of our older players had, not only that but he seemed to cause trouble on every team he was a part of. On the other hand we have a rookie center who has flourished in offensive clutch situations and showed more offensive skill then Kassian may ever be able to.

B4T3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
  #100
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Don't get me wrong I love Goose as a player and a person. The fact that he re-defined his face-off skills for NHL longevity is incredible to me and I wish more fringe talent players would find a niche to do this (Detroit is #1 at doing this with guys).

But he's shredded his shoulder twice in the past 3 years and it's taken a HUGE toll on his physical game. I've never been that enamored with his play defensively either. It's slightly above average but his foot speed hurts it especially with this defense core.

I hope we resign the guy in the off season at the same value and make him more of a specialist than a figure of the roster that he's been cast as lately.
I hope we sign him in July just to troll the rest of the league

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.