HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens if...

Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

vCash: 500
What happens if...

If the Preds make the playoffs (obviously) but lose in the first or second round. Is the farm deep enough to withstand the losses of the draft picks? What if Suter jumps for the highest bidder (very likely) can Blum, Ellis and company make up for it?

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I'm not a fan of what-ifs... It's all about the what-will-be's.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
pekkaslap

Another second-round loss wouldn't be a world-ender. But yeah, we can make up for it providing Weber stays and we go throw some money at a D man.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If the Preds make the playoffs (obviously) but lose in the first or second round. Is the farm deep enough to withstand the losses of the draft picks? What if Suter jumps for the highest bidder (very likely) can Blum, Ellis and company make up for it?
I would say, at this point (all speculation), suter is gone. Our defense for next year then becomes very interesting. Obviously Weber stays. If Suter goes, I think you see a huge push to keep Gill for a year or two. I also think a guy like Matt Carle (or another UFA) becomes a huge target for us.

Weber-Josi
Carle-Gill
Klein-Ellis
Blum/Ekholm

I think that is solid. If Josi pulls a Blum, move Carleup a pair and put Blum with Gill since he is due for a bounce-back year. We can also keep Boullion for depth.

We can survive it, but we'll need to bring in a few guys like Carle or keep Gill. It's do-able, but its better if Suter stays obviously.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
predfan24

If Suter leaves and Gill and Weber re-signed the D would still look like this:

Josi-Weber

Gill-Ellis

Boullion-Klein

Blum

You can't replace Suter but that is still a good defense.

Let's just hope we can make it happen this year.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Another second-round loss wouldn't be a world-ender. But yeah, we can make up for it providing Weber stays and we go throw some money at a D man.
There are not many dmen out there and there will be less once July 1 rolls around.

At this point we have Suter and hopefully we can make a run of sorts. A 2nd rd exit would be a disappointment, but guess some depends on how much of fight we put up...

Here's hoping for a WCF or SCF appereance. And also, a surprise Radulov return.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
cleangene

As one certain defenseman would say, "I don't want to talk about this now because it's causing too much of a distraction".

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:36 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I wish people wouldn't forget about Ekholm. I think he makes the team out of camp AGAIN next season. He is part of the future. Please don't forget about him. If it wasn't for that damn clause in his contract, he might be on the big club now.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
VFL615*

The team and city IMO will be crushed if this team is not in the WCF "if" everyone stays healthy and the new additions meet expectations. This team has something special about it and i think everyone is starting to see that. If we do lose to a Blues or Yotes team in the first round i believe you will see a hungry and pissed management willing to do anything it takes to win (if they really feel the way they talk lately).

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think a first round exit would really hurt but a hard fought second round wouldn't as much.

This is the youngest team in the NHL, and we have a great prospect pool, I think we can handle losing the draft picks.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
The team and city IMO will be crushed if this team is not in the WCF "if" everyone stays healthy and the new additions meet expectations. This team has something special about it and i think everyone is starting to see that. If we do lose to a Blues or Yotes team in the first round i believe you will see a hungry and pissed management willing to do anything it takes to win (if they really feel the way they talk lately).
The one thing that does give me some pause about our playoff chances is the scoring differential. We're WAY behind DET, STL and VAN.

While it's true that it doesn't matter if you beat a team 2-1 or 4-1, being able to put up 4 generally prevents the late tying goal / loss in overtime scenario. Hopefully AK provides a little more offensive punch.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
The one thing that does give me some pause about our playoff chances is the scoring differential. We're WAY behind DET, STL and VAN.

While it's true that it doesn't matter if you beat a team 2-1 or 4-1, being able to put up 4 generally prevents the late tying goal / loss in overtime scenario. Hopefully AK provides a little more offensive punch.
I know what you are saying. We have played all 3 teams really well this year. I am crossing my fingers that Peka gets red hot and one or two of are fowards can get Ward or Kessler hot in the playoffs. No doubt we could not beat any of these teams in blaze them high score game but Peka is the x-factor. We have beat Van and Stl like drums in games this year and i firmly believe DET age is going to show when the playoffs come around.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

what happens if we win the whole damn thing? Do silly posts go away?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
The Mayans will actually be right and the world will, indeed, end in December.

Bad news is we won't have time to enjoy it. Good news, we will be the last Stanley Cup champions in the history of the world.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
SoBro turns into Mardi Gras

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
If Suter leaves and Gill and Weber re-signed the D would still look like this:

Josi-Weber

Gill-Ellis

Boullion-Klein

Blum

You can't replace Suter but that is still a good defense.

Let's just hope we can make it happen this year.
The Cube's contract is up this year

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Neal Before Zod

I think a first round exit would be bad, unless it's primarily due to key injuries. I would think a first round exit would likely result in Suter testing the FA market, and Weber sticking to a 1 year deal as an RFA...plus none of the pickups resigning (but that's pretty tough to tell at this point, too).

A second round exit wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...depending on how we play. I know a lot of people have high expectations for us...but the reality is that no matter what seed we are, we will likely face a very strong second round opponent...at least on equal footing with us. I truly believe that this team right now has improved considerably over last year's team...but I think all that does is turn the second round into a tossup rather than an uphill battle. If we draw Vancouver or Detroit in the second round, I think we're looking at a very tough 7 game series. If we grind it out to 7 games with one of them, I really can't see that as a failure or choke on our part.

Obviously, if we make the WCF, it will be another huge step forward as a franchise. I think the momentum gained from that would be enough to convince our core players to resign...at least for a few years. I don't think it's a now or never thing...if we don't win the cup, but we improve this year...I think it will convince a lot of guys that this is the right place to be.

But let's forget all that jazz and just try to win the whole damn thing.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Losing 2012 draft picks isn't a big deal. this year's draft is about as deep as a kiddie pool from wal mart

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 273
I just hope if we have a good playoff run that the dumbasses running things don't give us another long lockout and kill our momentum again like before

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote